Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do dry Chinese sausages and bacon need to be refrigerated? I don't see them in fridges here but nothing here is properly refrigerated so I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Grand Fromage posted:

Do dry Chinese sausages and bacon need to be refrigerated? I don't see them in fridges here but nothing here is properly refrigerated so I'm not sure.

They probably last a long time on the shelf, but over here (Europe), all chinese sausages and bacon is either in the fridge or in the freezer, never seen them sitting on the shelf.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

totalnewbie posted:

In what ways are your attempts falling short?

consistency is wrong i think, not thick enough, and the egg drops don't seem the same.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
It's probably a techniques thing. Try thickening the soup first, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, then stir in the eggs and leave it.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I've been wanting to try and make a vegetarian approximation of beef noodle soup. Has anyone else ever tried this? I was thinking tofu skin might make a decent replacement for the beef, but I'm very open to suggestions.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I do refrigerate but Singapore climate. I would anyway, it can only extend lifespan, surely?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Laocius posted:

I've been wanting to try and make a vegetarian approximation of beef noodle soup. Has anyone else ever tried this? I was thinking tofu skin might make a decent replacement for the beef, but I'm very open to suggestions.

I'm not too up to speed on my Asian style mock-meats, but I believe that'd pretty suitable. I think they also make a dried mock beef that you just reconsititute in water.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Use lots of interesting dried mushrooms, both for the broth and as the meaty bits.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

kru posted:

I do refrigerate but Singapore climate. I would anyway, it can only extend lifespan, surely?

Yeah I don't see a downside, I just don't have a big fridge. Also Chinese bacon is so pungently smoky it tends to smoke up the whole place. I wrapped it in like eight bags and crammed it back in the corner.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Any recommended brand for Chinese bacon? The one I bought a while back wasn't as smokey as I was expecting, based on descriptions here. I'm in the bay area and have access to a Pacific chain asian supermarket.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

Any recommended brand for Chinese bacon? The one I bought a while back wasn't as smokey as I was expecting, based on descriptions here. I'm in the bay area and have access to a Pacific chain asian supermarket.

Smuggle it in from China :smug:

What kind of bacon do you use? Can you take a picture of it?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'll take some sneaky store shots next time I'm there. I don't remember what the brand was that I bought from a different asian market.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Should kung pao use a liter of sauce (750ml of which is soy sauce) and a cup and a half of sugar for 9oz of chicken and not use sichuan peppercorns. e: whoops it does ask for them. I don't know, but this recipe says so.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/kung-po-chicken

It also says it has a 2 week prep time though so maybe it's a huge prank??????? I'm not sure how great that sauce gets after 2 weeks but I've never heard of anyone letting their sauce marinate that long here in Sichuan so maybe I'm the crazy one.

Would that actually do anything? I'm going crazy over this since it's wildly different from other recipes I've learned for the dish.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 1, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Should kung pao use a liter of sauce (750ml of which is soy sauce) and a cup and a half of sugar for 9oz of chicken and not use sichuan peppercorns. e: whoops it does ask for them. I don't know, but this recipe says so.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/kung-po-chicken

It also says it has a 2 week prep time though so maybe it's a huge prank??????? I'm not sure how great that sauce gets after 2 weeks but I've never heard of anyone letting their sauce marinate that long here in Sichuan so maybe I'm the crazy one.

Would that actually do anything? I'm going crazy over this since it's wildly different from other recipes I've learned for the dish.

That definitely makes enough sauce for several batches, but still... that recipe seems really weird. Four teaspoons of white pepper for 9 oz. of chicken? Three kinds of soy sauce?

emotive fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 1, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It must be a joke but they've posted so many dumb articles about Chinese food lately I don't even know.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

apparently the guy has a restaurant in brooklyn making chinese food. idk why whitey needs to open a chinese restaurant in a city filled with actual chinese people who don't pretend that marinating your chicken for longer than overnight actually has any benefits, but hey, everyone's gotta make a living

our lord and savior kenji is here with two actual decent recipes though:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/07/takeout-style-kung-pao-chicken-diced-chicken-peppers-peanuts-recipe.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/real-deal-kung-pao-chicken-recipe.html

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made the Serious Eats lo mein this weekend and I am forever spoiled and ruined for carryout lo mein.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/stir-fried-lo-mein-beef-broccoli-recipe.html

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Jeoh posted:

apparently the guy has a restaurant in brooklyn making chinese food. idk why whitey needs to open a chinese restaurant in a city filled with actual chinese people who don't pretend that marinating your chicken for longer than overnight actually has any benefits, but hey, everyone's gotta make a living

our lord and savior kenji is here with two actual decent recipes though:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/07/takeout-style-kung-pao-chicken-diced-chicken-peppers-peanuts-recipe.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/real-deal-kung-pao-chicken-recipe.html

Shameless plug for Fuschia Dunlop's recipe, as well since it's fantastic:

http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/cooking/

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

emotive posted:

That definitely makes enough sauce for several batches, but still... that recipe seems really weird. Four teaspoons of white pepper for 9 oz. of chicken? Three kinds of soy sauce?

The 3 kinds of soy sauce part part actually isn't so weird. A lot of Chinese sauces call for more than one type. I'm a weirdo who has multiple kinds of soy sauce, and I do use all of them, but one the recipe calls "premium soy sauce" and I have no idea what that one is. I'd guess lao chou???

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I made the Serious Eats dan dan noodles recipe and it was very good. I think next time I'll add Sichuan peppercorns to the sauce though.

This stuff was on sale so I bought it. What should I do with it? I think I had some normal fermented bean curd without chili a few years back and I used to just mix it in to rice, stir fries, etc. Is there anything else it's for?

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
That's how I've always had it. It's good in congee.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
This may be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone here have recommendations for Indo-Chinese cookbooks or recipe websites? I just got and seasoned my first wok, and while I plan to do Chinese stir-fry (and have Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge to help me), I do rather like Indo-Chinese chop suey, Manchurian vegetables, chili aloo, and so on.

I am familiar with the Rajshri Food YouTube videos, but other options would be great, too. Especially an actual cookbook.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's been a while since I made Chinese food, recommend me a recipe that you can cook in your western kitchen!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gong some bao.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

It's been a while since I made Chinese food, recommend me a recipe that you can cook in your western kitchen!

Sichuan Cucumber Salad

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Mapo Tofu

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
餐蛋麵

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

餐蛋麵

Never heard of this one, what is it?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arglebargle III posted:

Never heard of this one, what is it?

Eggs and spam over ramen based on an image search.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I bought some mung bean starch to make that cold noodle appetizer dish good Sichuan restaurants have. Are there any other uses for this stuff besides different shapes and sizes of jelly in numbing hot sauce?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ulmont posted:

Eggs and spam over ramen based on an image search.

The important part to this dish is you use instant noodles, never fresh.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Fish-fragrant eggplant.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
凉面
Cold noodles, with a thousand variations but a common one in Kunming is a spicy peanut sauce with shredded chicken and celery.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Has anyone ever run across Pixian/Sichuan doubanjiang or douchi that doesn't contain wheat as an ingredient? I know that douchi is going to be more impossible to find, but even all the doubanjiang I can find contains wheat flour as an ingredient as well. Having to use gluten free soy sauce alternatives already makes cooking for my celiac family member more difficult to get the flavor I want.

I have seen the suggestions that there's so little wheat in these things that most people will be fine eating soy sauce and the like, but it's not my digestive system I'm playing with here. I guess my last alternative is trying to ferment them myself, but I already have a lot of cooking adjacent projects I'm trying to avoid one more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's no such thing as gluten-free here except as a rarely sighted expensive foreign fad, so I doubt it exists.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah Chinese food is a free fire zone with regard to food sensitivities.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'll check labels next time I'm at the store, who knows. There might be a kind that just doesn't use it for some other reason. Food allergies don't exist/aren't recognized here so there's no accommodation for them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll check labels next time I'm at the store, who knows. There might be a kind that just doesn't use it for some other reason. Food allergies don't exist/aren't recognized here so there's no accommodation for them.

That's kind of what I figured, but if I don't ask, I don't get the answer. Guess I get to make my own!

Just running through the ingredients lists of basically everything I come across and finding wheat is tiresome, but it sort of makes sense considering how it's easy to grow and is very versatile in so many ways.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

It definitely won't have the same flavor or funk as doubanjiang, but I wonder if dried chilies mixed with red miso might give a close enough substitute?

I have this brand of douchi and it doesn't have wheat listed as an ingredient:
https://www.amazon.com/Yang-Jiang-P...keywords=douchi
I only paid $2 for a container at my local Asian grocer though so it might be worth hunting down if you have access.

emotive fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Miso will also have wheat in it as far as I know. I think every fermented Asian sauce does.