Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

drat that's a fine dragon punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Laputanmachine posted:

drat that's a fine dragon punch

I think you mean tiger uppercut

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

I Wonder when they changed Gunks eyes. They used to be on top of each other.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sweeperbravo posted:

What ever happened to Ballard Street?

It kept going, but I stopped posting it because I got a new job and things got complicated for a while! If only Buster had warned me. Ballard Street.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I like this one, and I wish it was a week-long story. The "LUNBOKS" panel cracks me up.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Jungle Jim Special Mad Lib Edition

That's what we got today v:shobon:v

Was this too homoerotic to publish? Also drat! pulling him up through water by his hair. That's badass. What a good spouse. [I haven't been following this strip too closely so if they're siblings loving nevermind that last remark just saying :v:]

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (May 21-24, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

(And yes, this is the shrinky-dink version.)

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs After Dark On Sunday (July 15 and 22, 1928)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Jungle Jim Special Mad Lib Edition

That's what we got today v:shobon:v

I like it better this way.

So my Internet has been garbage for a few days, was down entirely yesterday, and is back but super slow today. The upshot is that Comics Kingdom is just a happy memory for me until my ISP gets its poo poo together, but that won't save you from Luann:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set isn't that into the boating.

Working Daze still thinks references are comedy.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a goon.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set isn't that into the boating.

I saw a craigslist ad for a boat and trailer for $175. I will never forgive myself for not being a looky lou on that one.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mother From Another Country

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids
The footprints actually do seem like they might be getting a little more widely spaced at the bottom of the hill, so maybe the thief walked quickly down the very steep hill and then broke into a run at the bottom? In any case, the footprints certainly show someone climbed the hill to where Cassandra is standing and that they were wearing shoes - which Cassandra is not - so shouldn't you be looking into this anyway? I expect this sort of shoddy work from Dick Danger, but not from Slylock Fox.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons
Wolverine-style healing is obviously the best super power.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Apr. 14, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Apr. 14, 1985)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Gams of Adventure

Continuing the epic adventure of Sam Getting His Ashes Hauled.

And it's still impressive how incapable Allen and Vorderbrug are of drawing their main characters' faces the same way from one week, or even one panel, to the next. Even with copying and pasting from earlier months...

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Some Guy TT posted:

[Mother From Another Country

I miss chief Dharma so much.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's a top quality cameo.

Also, at work one of the topics of pointless lunch room small talk is asking people their superpower and then debating with them how good a choice it is and how it works. Out of eight people only one superpower has come up twice, and it's been time travel. Nobody has chosen flight.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

That's a top quality cameo.

Also, at work one of the topics of pointless lunch room small talk is asking people their superpower and then debating with them how good a choice it is and how it works. Out of eight people only one superpower has come up twice, and it's been time travel. Nobody has chosen flight.

Blame either Doctor Who or The Flash.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Finally, a comprehensible Tracksuit, even if it's not exceptionally funny. I used to really like this comic, but it's gotten really "miss" lately, either being incomprehensible or just not funny.

quote:

Mother From Another Country

I usually love this comic and can figure out the joke in 9/10 of them, but I kinda am missing it in this one I think, or at least how it fits the narrative - I think it's just the dad being goofy, but I'm wondering if there's more to it. Still, I think this comic is a worthy replacement for Chief Dharma - I laugh out loud at it often enough.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Gams of Adventure

Continuing the epic adventure of Sam Getting His Ashes Hauled.
Oh god their faces in the last panel. :gonk:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Wait, is Rose's "Biker Girl" persona completely seperate from her normal psyche?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah it was a weird pivot from a fat fetish strip to an MPD strip.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Savidudeosoo posted:

Wait, is Rose's "Biker Girl" persona completely seperate from her normal psyche?

I could have sworn that Rose and her "Born to be Mild" persona have had conversations before. So maybe?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Selachian posted:

Gams of Adventure

That fish is so dead.

Calvin and Hobbes

Sweet cameo by Flameboy.

Ripley's

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Richard's Poor Almanac

May 18, 2011

May 19, 2011

May 21, 2011

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

November 21, 2016

November 23, 2016

November 25, 2016

November 28, 2016

Mizmar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fLmv4Ph_BA

Mea Culpa fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 22, 2017

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Proportions Are Hard and So Is Everything Else: The Jam Esallen Story (AKA Mark Trail)

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I think the Mr Rogers stream is about to show Morrie Turner

https://www.twitch.tv/misterrogers

Edit: I wasn't quick enough to record it, but it was interesting.

Drunk Badger fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 22, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Drunk Badger posted:

I think the Mr Rogers stream is about to show Morrie Turner

https://www.twitch.tv/misterrogers

Aw, that's cool.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SomeMathGuy posted:

Reeky looks homeless, maybe he begs in the street or does little chores for pennies and over time has been able to save up $500 in change. But noooo, in Slylocktown you better have a house and a job and a bank account and a wallet full of hundred dollar bills, otherwise any offense can be tacked on you. :jerkbag:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

People this geeky are usually completely insufferable. I say this as a pretty nerdy person who met her husband in a dragonball z roleplaying chat in the late 90's.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So Floyd, what's your favourite thing to do that's not related to attempting to fill the spiritual void in your office drone life by fostering a connection to a fickle peer group that defines its identity through conspicuous consumption of products related to an art form that was considered subversive in the times of our grandparents?

I can only find peace when my consciousness ceases to operate, and each evening I pray that this time it will be permanent LOL. But I still make sure to display an outward sign of peer group belonging in my sleep, so that when the day comes that my prayers are answered, they'll not oust me posthumously.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Reeky looks homeless, maybe he begs in the street or does little chores for pennies and over time has been able to save up $500 in change. But noooo, in Slylocktown you better have a house and a job and a bank account and a wallet full of hundred dollar bills, otherwise any offense can be tacked on you. :jerkbag:
The bail is only about a hundredth of the expected amount too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alterian posted:

People this geeky are usually completely insufferable. I say this as a pretty nerdy person who met her husband in a dragonball z roleplaying chat in the late 90's.
The problem with the Intelligent Life nerds is the same problem with the Working Daze nerds: they have no identity outside their nerdishness. They have nothing else going on in their lives and they filter EVERYTHING through the idea that they're nerds and therefore everything they do has to be nerd-related or fandom-related or whatever.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I count more than 11 "hidden" things here. A couple are partially covered but it's clear what they are.

Alterian posted:

I consider myself to hold some geeky interests. Intelligent Life consistently makes me question whether I should continue to hold these interests. I hate these characters that much.

Oddly enough, Working Daze does not have the same effect on me. It's just so over-the-top with those geek parents I guess. Plus it's so drat bad in every way. The IL guy at least has the benefit of successfully ripping off a popular character style.

F Minus

US Education under Betsy DeVos.

Mary Worth

"My plan to make her spend more time than planned in a public restroom and not miss the boat's departure went perfectly. Mwah ha ha ha!"

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Well it seems to be a pretty solid guess.

Apartment 3-G

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Drunk Badger posted:

This is probably a by-product of my only being introduced to Wee Pals via this thread and only ever seeing Morrie Turner near the end of his life (I think it was literally a year before he died) but man, it's a little weird thinking about him ever being that young.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The problem with the Intelligent Life nerds is the same problem with the Working Daze nerds: they have no identity outside their nerdishness. They have nothing else going on in their lives and they filter EVERYTHING through the idea that they're nerds and therefore everything they do has to be nerd-related or fandom-related or whatever.

Yeah, the flaws in these strips aren't so much a condemnation of nerd culture as a condemnation of lazy, blunt reference nerd-bait writing. They're the Ernest Cline novels of comic strips - they want you to transfer your good feelings about whatever they're referencing onto their lazy shlock, without doing anything to earn those good feelings.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The other problem is that their nerdishness comes off as phony because it's all positive. There's no moaning about how CBS is making Star Trek: Discovery streaming-only, no grousing about how Steven Moffat has ruined Doctor Who, no RPG edition wars, and of course no bitching about how George R. R. Martin is taking forfuckingever to get the next book out -- you know, all the stuff that makes nerd fandom fun. Real nerds adore picking nits, one-upping each other with trivia, and setting impossible purity tests. (I once knew a guy who rejected the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings movies because the only thing he would accept as a REAL LOTR movie was a literal scene-for-scene, word-for-word reproduction of the books.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I was going to make fun of Mister Turner's clothes but the more I looked the more snazz I saw. It was a different time.

• Locked thread