Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Awful news but pretty expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Homura and Sickle posted:

the latest edition of the konosuba light novel had a note stating that the anime production has ended for the foreseeable future :rip:

:smith:

At least I will have my nendo trio.

Maybe it will get a movie years later like NGNL did.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 21, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:suicide:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
just read the light novel, gosh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Reading is for nerds:madmax:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You can at least buy it as an ebook, which I feel obligated to support given how many light novels refuse to do electronic versions for some incredibly stupid reason.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

You can at least buy it as an ebook, which I feel obligated to support given how many light novels refuse to do electronic versions for some incredibly stupid reason.

Haven't studies shown that the easier a product is to acquire legally, the less likely people are to pirate it or whatever?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno if there are studies but at the very least, there are many who believe that piracy problems are in no small part due to service issues.

Personally speaking, it's hard to justify giving my money to companies who make me jump through hoops to do it.

It's a real minor inconvenience in the game scheme so maybe a bad example RE: piracy but if I have to make a new account and then use my card to put my payment details in to their site or whatever, I'm way more likely to see if I can get the same thing on a site where I can just go through PayPal for example.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hunt11 posted:

Haven't studies shown that the easier a product is to acquire legally, the less likely people are to pirate it or whatever?

I don't know if it's true universally, although I assume it is.

I know I sure used to pirate a lot of music, and now, when I can easily buy it for money, I do that instead.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Reading is for nerds:madmax:

Except mangas are ok.

But yeah, this was expected news. I'll be happy once I get my Megumin nendo. :unsmith: Remember the good times.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't know if it's true universally, although I assume it is.

I know I sure used to pirate a lot of music, and now, when I can easily buy it for money, I do that instead.

Were you a poor childe when you pirated music and do you have a job now? Might not be 1:1

I used to pirate video games like crazy when I was in my young teens, but I have no idea if Steam making things easier or me just having cash changed that.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
at least theres still an ova in july

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the light novels are ok, but either the original text or the english translation of it are incredibly stilted and not much fun to read. the anime seems like it was a big improvement on the source material

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Except mangas are ok.

:thejoke:

But yeah, has someone started publishing the novels stateside? Cause I'd happily pick the series up. Everyone in my household is a fan of the damned show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Book walker. E-books only from what​ it looks like, however.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, I suppose there's never a bad time to start building an e-book collection.:shrug:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yen Press is publishing them in paperback.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the light novels are ok, but either the original text or the english translation of it are incredibly stilted and not much fun to read. the anime seems like it was a big improvement on the source material

This is true for pretty much any LN, though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Double Punctuation posted:

This is true for pretty much any LN, though.

i thought the spice an wolf light novels were an enjoyable read

i don't want to use the phrase "show, not tell", but it does seem pretty applicable

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I've been reading Yen Press' releases of KonoSuba, Re:Zero, Grimgar, and DanMachi; they all seem to be pretty good. DanMachi in particular is way better than the anime.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have the first two English printed volumes in paperback and I've read all the current fan translated material. I was able to find the novels just as amusing as the anime. And there are a lot of amusing scenes in the later novels. I hope they end up releasing every single volume in English as KonoSuba is definitely worth it in my opinion. I plan to buy as many as they translate.

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I don't know if you're talking about the fan translation or the official Yen Press one, but the latter is better than the show by miles. Especially the first season.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I really want to pickup one of the Konosuba novels. The only decision now is kindle or paperback. Kindle has the advantage of being portable and makes it easier to hide my shame but paperback feels better. Decisions, decisions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Books are also portable, I think you'll find.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Books are also portable, I think you'll find.

On the one hand yes, but on the other hand, you can't carry an entire series on the plane/train with you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can carry a book in either hand.

I can carry a book in BOTH at the same time!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Having an entire series in a Kindle is probably much lighter than carrying an entire series of books.

Though it's hard for me to read books on my phone, and I doubt I'd do much better with a Kindle or some tablet.

I'm just so used to having a book in my hands.

Though given how little space I have left, just buying manga on an e-book reader seems like a great idea.

If only there was a bigger selection...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can carry a book in either hand.

I can carry a book in BOTH at the same time!

No one cares about your party tricks Aqua!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I mean, I like a good ebook too, don't get me wrong though I wouldn't choose to get one over a physical, but I dunno how much weight the "can carry a whole series argument" holds because odds are you're not reading a full series without having the chance to swap the book you're on for the next one all too often, though it's obviously not something that never, ever happens it's just not something that is super important.

I think the big argument in favour for ebooks is more that they don't take extra physical space up what a book collection usually would, leaving you more space for anime toys

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also cheaper, less dead trees, and most importantly, you can pick and choose whenever.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Which novel picks up where the anime left off?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Truga posted:

Also cheaper, less dead trees, and most importantly, you can pick and choose whenever.

ebooks aren't always cheaper, even though they should be.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nitrousoxide posted:

The 5th one. Each season was 2 novels.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Both seasons are, for the most part, faithful from Volumes 1 to 4, but they do leave out some important (and according to some of the LN readers, hilarious in their own right) bits.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wark Say posted:

but they do leave out some important (and according to some of the LN readers, hilarious in their own right) bits.

I am forever upset how they left out Kazuma's 1 minute of badassery, followed by complete failure, in the final episode of season 2. It was such a good joke.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wark Say posted:

Both seasons are, for the most part, faithful from Volumes 1 to 4, but they do leave out some important (and according to some of the LN readers, hilarious in their own right) bits.

I'd get bored re-reading stuff I'd already seen, so I'll wait for volume 5.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The great thing about a kindle version is I can read it whenever since I always have my phone on me. Not so much the carry a huge number of books at once thing since I tend to tunnel vision one book before starting another.

In unrelated news, the Megumin rap battle is fantastic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hate-Senpai posted:

Though it's hard for me to read books on my phone, and I doubt I'd do much better with a Kindle or some tablet.

Get a kindle paperwhite, you won't regret it. Getting one made me read way more books. The display is basically like reading an actual paper page and you don't have to hold your place or anything like that. My only problem with e readers is that its hard to flip to a previous chapter to reread something if it springs to mind because you can't just flip through the pages. Other than that its better in every way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just use the Google Books app on a generic 7-inch tablet. Can buy from the Google store on that and use book files you might have on your computer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I love this show and I kind of hate myself for loving it.

Yes, I'm Kazuma.

Edit: wait, this is it? I need more of these lovable idiots and their "adventures"

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 27, 2017