Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fooz posted:

Sim sickness is horrible and can last for hours yeah. Really unwise to dive headfirst into artificial locomotion though.. I'd have said to do teleport stuff like Rec Room if they didn't keep bugging it out on Friday updates and leaving it broken all weekend. Nauseating games are really the minority of software though (Pavlov might be the worst offender yet), despite a hypervocal group who wont stop insisting every game does it.

I'd definitely keep the Vive if it was more fleshed out, but it's still in it's infancy and there's not a whole lot of games that I find enticing. I wasn't thinking clearly when I bought it, I'd spent about a year desperately wanting it, and when I finally got it, I realised I'd not used much sense and that maybe dropping £759 on it was a silly idea. Buyers remorse coupled with the motion sickness has definitely shown me I was being a bit silly.

Not going to forget the awe and excitement I felt when I first put it on though, that was an incredible experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Loopoo posted:

I don't have the space for room-scale stuff, so I mainly do sitting / standing only. I've been playing Pavlov and Climbey, and both make me feel insufferably ill, and feeling nauseous and spaced out for 4 hours after playing these games just isn't worth it. I still have a sick feeling in my stomach and my head feels dizzy even though I stopped playing Pavlov 3 hours ago (I only played it for 5 minutes!). I play them standing up, and have tried everything to not get motion sickness, such as fixating on my gun in Pavlov, or jogging on the spot when I move around. I used to get severely car sick when I was younger, and those motion sickness tablets never helped me then, so I doubt it will help now.
We have found the issue. That sort of reaction to those kinds of games is not terribly uncommon.

Much as it sucks, if you get sick with that sort of thing and don't have the space for even a small roomscale setup (and I know how much of a challenge that can be), then I agree that you might be better off returning it. You might still be cool with cockpit sims (Elite and House of the Dying Sun in VR are both rad), but unless you're way into that stuff I don't know if that would be enough to justify the headset.

Maybe consider picking one up again down the line if you find yourself in a situation where you can make room for it and the library has had a chance to flesh out more.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Skipping gen1 is the reasonable choice for sure. I'm sort of jealous of people who ignore VR till gen 2/3, the first impression will be unreal.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I definitely plan on picking it up again down the line, maybe a generation or two from now. About Elite Dangerous, quick googling shows that it's awful for people that get motion sick? Something about how erratic and spinny combat can be, so I definitely wouldn't wanna try that out.

The one thing that blew my mind is just how insanely immersive it in. In the Rec Room game, I kept going to put my controllers down on the desk ingame before realising there's no desk in front of me in real life. Also how accurately the controllers tracked, it felt so good.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
tl;dr Valve released Oculus Rooms before Oculus did, lawl.

Holy crap I took a break from revision to play a bit of Onward and afterwards got to try out the new SteamVR Home. It's loving hilarious to me that SteamVR has once again leapfrogged Oculus on something despite the much-touted megabucks from Facebook. SteamVR Home is so much better, in fact it's basically already everything I want from a home app and addresses all the flaws with Oculus Home.
You have a space which looks great & you can customise to your liking (you can even put the nice standard lodge/trees environment inside a custom background, so you can have it sitting in an Elite: Dangerous corolis station if you like). You can easily get to all your games and everything, but most importantly of all, the social stuff is right there.
There are lists of shared rooms you can jump into in an instant to hang out with people, or you can just create a room with friends.

What's more, I jumped into a room with like 12 people and it's like freakin Garry's Mod in VR. You can spawn a bunch of items, resize them, put them wherever you want, you can have guns/gravity guns. We started off in the Star Wars rancor pit space, and we were just spawning a bunch of benches and ladders trying to get out of the pit. Then we had a blank steamVR room with tons of guns, gravity guns, Half Life barnacle monsters you could pick up and catch people with. It was loving madness.

Also you can customise your avatar however you want, using all sorts of standard models (Portal cube etc. etc.) and primary volumes which you can place anywhere. It's ridiculous. Unlike Oculus where you're confined to a weird shiny Art Attack head with a few hairstyle and colour choices.

Loopoo posted:

I don't have the space for room-scale stuff, so I mainly do sitting / standing only. I've been playing Pavlov and Climbey, and both make me feel insufferably ill, and feeling nauseous and spaced out for 4 hours after playing these games just isn't worth it. I still have a sick feeling in my stomach and my head feels dizzy even though I stopped playing Pavlov 3 hours ago (I only played it for 5 minutes!). I play them standing up, and have tried everything to not get motion sickness, such as fixating on my gun in Pavlov, or jogging on the spot when I move around. I used to get severely car sick when I was younger, and those motion sickness tablets never helped me then, so I doubt it will help now.

I could tough it out and hope I'm one of the lucky few who can adapt, but right now I can return the headset with no questions asked. My main worry is if I leave it too long, try and adapt, and end up failing, the shop I bought it from won't let me refund it. I've got 14 days to return it but I've found that the quicker I take it back, the more the shop is willing to take it without asking too many questions. If I took it back on day 13, they may think I'm trying to pull a fast one on them and have broken it and just want an easy money-back guarantee.

I'm glad I got the Vive, it was great having it to test out at my own pace, but right now it's being used as a glorified tv where I just sit and watch stuff in a VR theatre. After messing about with it these past 4 days, I can manage waiting a year or two in the hopes that something comes out that completely negates motion sickness. That being said, Pavlov was an incredible experience: the gunplay was really satisfying, and aiming down sights was surreal. I'll miss having it.
Pavlov is one of the most sickness-inducing things you can play in VR. It's slidey-movement instead of teleportation. You literally should not be getting VR sickness if you're just doing normal roomscale stuff with teleportation locomotion, so I'd say try other stuff before you return your Vive. I haven't tried Climbey so I can't comment there. Once you've played a fair bit and you're more used to VR, you may well find it's far easier to get into playing something like Pavlov.
Also by 'roomscale', you don't actually need much space at all. I have a 2m x 1m space and it's plenty, as long as you have room to put your arms out you're fine. Teleporting is standard locomotion until you get your VRlegs.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 22, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Loopoo posted:

About Elite Dangerous, quick googling shows that it's awful for people that get motion sick? Something about how erratic and spinny combat can be, so I definitely wouldn't wanna try that out.
Cockpit stuff tends to be the most comfortable sitting VR, because no matter how crazy things get outside you always have the static reference point of your cockpit to keep you grounded. Elite and other space games especially cause things are usually so far away you barely even feel it, if you do some barrel rolls next to a space station you might get a little dizzy though. I hear the buggy they added in the last expansion gets pretty intense also.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Loopoo posted:

I definitely plan on picking it up again down the line, maybe a generation or two from now. About Elite Dangerous, quick googling shows that it's awful for people that get motion sick? Something about how erratic and spinny combat can be, so I definitely wouldn't wanna try that out.

The one thing that blew my mind is just how insanely immersive it in. In the Rec Room game, I kept going to put my controllers down on the desk ingame before realising there's no desk in front of me in real life. Also how accurately the controllers tracked, it felt so good.

I wonder if there is correlation here. I've very rarely gotten immersed into VR games, so I've very rarely gotten motion sick or had any kind of physiological reaction. Perhaps 'immersion' leads to the brain trickery having negative effects.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yo does anyone have any recommendation for very explore-y type stuff in VR? Preferably with some sort of gameplay to it but just like the ability to walk around and look at cool poo poo would be fun. Like, I enjoy the shooting in Serious Sam VR but the most exciting things to me were just wandering around looking at jungles and pyramids and poo poo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Glagha posted:

Yo does anyone have any recommendation for very explore-y type stuff in VR? Preferably with some sort of gameplay to it but just like the ability to walk around and look at cool poo poo would be fun. Like, I enjoy the shooting in Serious Sam VR but the most exciting things to me were just wandering around looking at jungles and pyramids and poo poo
Sounds like The Solus Project would be something you'd be into

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

homeless snail posted:

Sounds like The Solus Project would be something you'd be into

Yeah looking at some trailers makes that look like Extremely My poo poo. Is the movement teleportation based in VR? I tried playing Quell 4D once and while I really want to like that game it makes me so sick that I can't deal with it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Glagha posted:

Yeah looking at some trailers makes that look like Extremely My poo poo. Is the movement teleportation based in VR? I tried playing Quell 4D once and while I really want to like that game it makes me so sick that I can't deal with it.
Yeah you can either do teleportation or stick movement

Qubee
May 31, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I wonder if there is correlation here. I've very rarely gotten immersed into VR games, so I've very rarely gotten motion sick or had any kind of physiological reaction. Perhaps 'immersion' leads to the brain trickery having negative effects.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I was intensely immersed in the experience. In Pavlov, for example, if I'm running and am about to clip / bump into a wall, I physically flinch cause it feels like I'm actually going to hit something. In Rec Room, it was so hard to remember that it was VR. The amount of times I'd start laughing to myself because I've gone to put my controllers down on a desk that doesn't exist because I want to go to the toilet quick or something, it was really shocking. I never in a million years thought it would be that immersive. Same when I was in Virtual Desktop in the cinema room (the one with leather sofas). I was halfway through a Netflix movie, having spent about an hour watching it, and then I wanted to get up and grab some water. I looked to the side, saw the table and leather sofa, and went to put my controllers down on it and then halfway through doing the action, I realised there's just empty air and it didn't actually exist. Maybe that's the biggest reason why motion sickness hits me so hard.

The only other thing I can think of is the fact that when I was younger, car journeys and the like made me feel very nauseous. So maybe I'm just genetically prone to it or something.

With regards to Pavlov, I was watching Node (a YT channel) play it, and they don't seem to behave the same way as I do when they play it. For example, when they're running about, they don't seem to lean into the run. They just stand perfectly upright. Whereas when I'm running about, I can't help but lean forward, else I feel like I'll fall over.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Then we had a blank steamVR room with tons of guns, gravity guns, Half Life barnacle monsters you could pick up and catch people with. It was loving madness.

Wait, you can pull other players with the barnacle gun? That's not supposed to happen.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Vanishing of Ethan Carter is another great VR exploration experience too, although apparently there is a game breaking bug at some point if you use teleportation instead of stick movement.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^wait Vanishing of Ethan Carter is first person? Thought it was 3rd person for some reason. Might have to try it out. Although can't handle horror stuff so maybe not.

Rectus posted:

Wait, you can pull other players with the barnacle gun? That's not supposed to happen.
Lol something was going on, I don't know it was all madness and lag. Maybe you get pulled towards the player you've hit with it?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 22, 2017

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

El Grillo posted:

^^wait Vanishing of Ethan Carter is first person? Thought it was 3rd person for some reason. Might have to try it out. Although can't handle horror stuff so maybe not.

Lol something was going on, I don't know it was all madness and lag. Maybe you get pulled towards the player you've hit with it?

Yeah, that sounds more like it. Please ignore that the barnacle grabs onto a static spot where the player was.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Yeah it's in 1st person. I wouldn't really call it horror per say, and I can only really remember 1 area that had a scary part to it. It's been awhile since I've played it though, so I might be forgetting some parts. Maybe someone who has played more recently can chime in.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Loopoo posted:

I don't have the space for room-scale stuff, so I mainly do sitting / standing only. I've been playing Pavlov and Climbey, and both make me feel insufferably ill

Again as other said those are probably the 2 worst major titles right now. I don't get motion sick from hardly anything, and Climbey can get me a little bit every once in awhile. Pavlov is considered extremely bad as well. Onward is the FPS game that seems to handle it a bit better, but they have intentionally done things like making the player move slowly and deliberate like Arma. While Pavlov is basically trying to be Counterstike. Try getting SwordMaster VR, Soundboxing, Gorn off of Itch.IO, and playing Xortex and Longbox in the Lab, play the Budget Cuts demo, and play some more RecRoom before you return.

You might not have enough space for Swordmaster and Gorn but all of the rest you probably can make do even with a standing space. If you don't like the few that cost most then, refund them, and return the product. That will give you a pretty good idea of what's out there currently. Oh and I think it might make sense for you to refund Climby and Pavlov (maybe try Onward instead) at least until you can handle a little bit of artificial motion. Some other good ones to try without artificial locomotion are Space Pirate Trainer and Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope.

I'd absolutely suggest SoundBoxing, it can work in a pretty small space but you have to rescale the songs before you play. Soundboxing mostly just needs a wide space but not a deep one. I absolutely adore Soundboxing and can play it for hours. I think it helps being a lapsed musician with no current outlet who prefers performing over listening to music.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah it's in 1st person. I wouldn't really call it horror per say, and I can only really remember 1 area that had a scary part to it. It's been awhile since I've played it though, so I might be forgetting some parts. Maybe someone who has played more recently can chime in.

It's a zero combat walking simulator, there's only the one area where you have to avoid enemies.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Loopoo posted:

I could tough it out and hope I'm one of the lucky few who can adapt, but right now I can return the headset with no questions asked. My main worry is if I leave it too long, try and adapt, and end up failing, the shop I bought it from won't let me refund it. I've got 14 days to return it but I've found that the quicker I take it back, the more the shop is willing to take it without asking too many questions. If I took it back on day 13, they may think I'm trying to pull a fast one on them and have broken it and just want an easy money-back guarantee.

I'm glad I got the Vive, it was great having it to test out at my own pace, but right now it's being used as a glorified tv where I just sit and watch stuff in a VR theatre. After messing about with it these past 4 days, I can manage waiting a year or two in the hopes that something comes out that completely negates motion sickness. That being said, Pavlov was an incredible experience: the gunplay was really satisfying, and aiming down sights was surreal. I'll miss having it.
if you haven't returned it yet, you owe it to yourself to check out a few of the other free experiences for like 15 minutes each

gorn (your space might be slightly too small for this, don't punch your monitor!)
budget cuts demo (with a small space, you just use the tp a lot more)
the lab (you also use the tp a lot here)
google earth vr (this one will make you nauseous probably but it's pretty amazing)

if you are comfortable with possibly returning games on steam, for sitdown + controller, I really enjoyed lunar flight vr as well as house of the dying sun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Glagha posted:

Vivecraft, go get lost in the world or in pyramid mazes/caves. Bonus, you can build your own pyramids if the generated ones aren't good enough.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Glagha posted:

It's not out until next month but scanner sombre is getting a vr support patch and should be a ~4hr exploration thing right up your alley
http://store.steampowered.com/app/475190/Scanner_Sombre/
http://www.pcgamer.com/introversion-softwares-adventure-game-scanner-sombre-is-coming-to-vr/

Subnatica is also really pretty, if you are interested in swimming rather than walking.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bhodi posted:

gorn (your space might be slightly too small for this, don't punch your monitor!)

I had a small get together over the weekend and a few of us played Gorn for the first time. I whipped the ceiling twice. My housemate punched the laser printer and me a few times while I was human shielding the 3D printer. Another friend broke the keyboard tray off my spare desk.

10/10 can't wait to buy the full game. Everybody played until they were tired, I'm very glad I had some spare face pads around because they got nasty.

Currently printing a set of these to reduce the chance of my controllers getting wrecked: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1959237

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bhodi posted:

if you haven't returned it yet, you owe it to yourself to check out a few of the other free experiences for like 15 minutes each

budget cuts demo (with a small space, you just use the tp a lot more)
the lab (you also use the tp a lot here)
google earth vr (this one will make you nauseous probably but it's pretty amazing)

if you are comfortable with possibly returning games on steam, for sitdown + controller, I really enjoyed lunar flight vr as well as house of the dying sun.

I'll give all those a go. I went to the store today and joked with the manager, asking about when I return it if it's chill or if I'll get interrogated. She pointed out a dark doorway and said all customers returning items are sent there for interrogation with flashlights pointing in their face. So I reckon I'll keep it a few more days and then return it, as I was stressing about it being a big issue if I return it after having it for longer.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Loopoo posted:

I'll give all those a go. I went to the store today and joked with the manager, asking about when I return it if it's chill or if I'll get interrogated. She pointed out a dark doorway and said all customers returning items are sent there for interrogation with flashlights pointing in their face. So I reckon I'll keep it a few more days and then return it, as I was stressing about it being a big issue if I return it after having it for longer.

Nobody at the store will care if you return it. But I feel like you would be doing yourself a disservice. At the very least try some room scale experiences with no artificial locomotion. Also many people gain a tolerance to artificial locomotion and then no longer have sim sickness.

For me personally I had zero buyer's remorse. I built a new PC at the same time as buying my Vive and it was an incredible experience then and it continues to blow my mind almost 6 months later. I love the fact that there's tons of content for the Vive, that there's the ability to play non VR games in VR using experimental tools like VorpX, that there are cool VR mods like Doom 3 VR and Half Life 2 VR, that engines such as Unity acting as abstraction layers make it easy to develop your own VR content, etc.

When I first got my Vive back in December, I started with room scale with natural locomotion only experiences the first week. Then I moved on to artificial locomotion. My first VR game with artificial locomotion was The Art of Fight. I have an iron stomach and even I had sim sickness after playing it for 5 hours straight. After I finished, I felt some nausea; the entire room also felt like it was moving, and when I closed my eyes I was back in VR.

I gained a tolerance fast and games like Onward or The Art of Fight don't give me any sim sickness, and when I do get sim sickness from playing something more extreme, it doesn't give me any nausea. It gives me more of a euphoric feeling. For example I was playing Detached yesterday and I was spinning around like crazy. I was so dizzy that I almost fell over and I couldn't tell what was up nor what was down. Overall it was awesome because it made a zero G game inside a spacesuit feel even more immersive. After an hour of Detached, I felt like the room was moving but it was like a nice buzz type of feeling without any nausea. Detached was worth the price of admission just for that buzz alone and on top of that it gives some amazing AA 3D graphics and cool zero G locomotion.

Anyone want to play Detached online sometime?

Also don't expect sim sickness to be resolved in the second or third generation. Aside from gaining your VR legs or avoiding artificial locomotion completely, there is nothing else that can be done. NASA spent millions researching how to stop sim sickness in VR and their only solution was taking Dramamine or Ginger. Weed probably would help too.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 22, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I haven't got the space for room scale stuff, I've barely got enough space in my office for standing setups. I accidentaly smashed my ceiling light and tore the lampshade off of it, oops. I can repurpose my living room, but that involves shoving all my furniture (sofa, dining table, tv) into awkward positions, as well as uprooting my entire PC to put it in the living room, just so I can do room scale stuff. The hassle involved isn't worth it imo. As for sickness, I think I'm one of the very unlucky few. Last time I played VR was yesterday, but I just got motion sickness now from a regular PC game (Player Unknown Battlegrounds) cause I was spectating a friend who was aiming in first person and looking left and right quite quickly, so I'm pretty sure I am extra unlucky since the motion sickness started back up just from that (though I have a feeling I'm only getting motion sickness now just because it's in my head from VR, cause this never happened before).

I'm going to hang onto it for the next few days, enjoy the games recommended, and then give it up and happily wait for the next generation or a significant price drop. Then I'll work on getting my VR legs.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I wonder if people will be running around like crazy people in fields and parking lots with standalone sets?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fooz posted:

I wonder if people will be running around like crazy people in fields and parking lots with standalone sets?

AR, maybe. VR, that'll get someone killed.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm guessing some kind of 'smart' obstacle detection / highlighting is the next step for inside-out though at least.

Lone Echo Mulitplayer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I81bPxXv3uU

I'm also looking forward to project sparc in this vein.

Brass tactics (1 player shown):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzTwfjwRudg

Samsung may show 2250 PPI stretchable display:

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-stretchable-display-revealed-774109/

Fooz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 22, 2017

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

After the latest software update, setup is a bit pickier about the placement and direction of my third Oculus sensor. It looks like I'm going to have to finally give in and wall-mount the thing (possibly the other two while I'm at it), were there any particular recommended mounts around here?

iceaim
May 20, 2001

MerklesBoner posted:

After the latest software update, setup is a bit pickier about the placement and direction of my third Oculus sensor. It looks like I'm going to have to finally give in and wall-mount the thing (possibly the other two while I'm at it), were there any particular recommended mounts around here?

You might as well get a Vive at this point and enjoy better tracking.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^if your tracking is working fine, just ignore the Oculus warnings? I'm pretty sure you can skip past the bit where it recommends you adjust your sensor positions.

iceaim posted:

Detached was worth the price of admission just for that buzz alone and on top of that it gives some amazing AA 3D graphics and cool zero G locomotion.
This is good to hear, it looked visually stunning so I'll pick it up some time.

Loopoo posted:

I haven't got the space for room scale stuff
When people say 'roomscale' it mostly means standing stuff, in that there is no actual requirement for you to be able to walk around or anything. Most games don't require you to physically move around much/at all. They almost all use either teleport or artificial locomotion (or have options for either). The only room you need for most things is enough to reach out around you a little, and enough to bend down and pick stuff up off the floor.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

MerklesBoner posted:

https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Thre...camera+mount+3m

For non-destructive mounting

And yeah you can ignore the warnings usually.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

El Grillo posted:

When people say 'roomscale' it mostly means standing stuff, in that there is no actual requirement for you to be able to walk around or anything. Most games don't require you to physically move around much/at all. They almost all use either teleport or artificial locomotion (or have options for either). The only room you need for most things is enough to reach out around you a little, and enough to bend down and pick stuff up off the floor.

Ah right, my office gives me plenty of space around me to stand and swing my arms without hitting the walls, but I've got a really low ceiling. I've basically banned myself from throwing grenades because I always forget the ceiling is so low and take a big gouge out of it, or I hit the lamp.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Loopoo posted:

Ah right, my office gives me plenty of space around me to stand and swing my arms without hitting the walls, but I've got a really low ceiling. I've basically banned myself from throwing grenades because I always forget the ceiling is so low and take a big gouge out of it, or I hit the lamp.

Honestly the Vive would be much more fun with 1.5m x 2.0m of space plus enough ceiling space to throw a grenade.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Loopoo posted:

I find the best way to throw grenades is a sideways angled wrist snap type motion, rather than the full overhead arc. Seems like they travel further/more accurately and avoids the whole wrecking my apartment issue.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

iceaim posted:

You might as well get a Vive at this point and enjoy better tracking.

Though your suggestion sounds both reasonable and practical, I will respectfully decline.

El Grillo posted:

^^^if your tracking is working fine, just ignore the Oculus warnings? I'm pretty sure you can skip past the bit where it recommends you adjust your sensor positions.

Yeah, that's what I'll do for now. I guess my assumption was that the new official, non-experimental suggested placement might work better still. And TBH, things do get floaty in the far corner of my space that isn't facing one of the sensors.

I suppose what I should have asked also is if any Oculus users with a 3-sensor setup have changed placement since the update, and if so, are you seeing any improvement in tracking?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fooz posted:

I have a pretty big back yard and am seriously considering putting up a 10x10m roof with no walls and mounting my lighthouses in there when it's not below -15 outside.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Truga posted:

I have a pretty big back yard and am seriously considering putting up a 10x10m roof with no walls and mounting my lighthouses in there when it's not below -15 outside.

A tent would probably do the trick. Although I'd want at least a solid floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
My Vive comes in today, and I've already dropped $200 on games. Weeeeeeee