Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Would have to be new points since you aren't buying full units from the looks of it.

Description makes it sound like it's straight up per model cost for everything which is near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a photo of the undead-themed battlemat anywhere?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So through a trade I ended up with a pretty decent amount of Stormcast Eternals.

I essentially have 3 sets of the starter set.

30 Liberators
3 Lord Relictors
3 Lord Celestants on Dracoths
9 Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers
9 Retributors

Where should I go from here? I want some ranged stuff, and plan on picking up some different heroes. Is there anything that's mandatory for Stormcast Eternals?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

moths posted:

Is there a photo of the undead-themed battlemat anywhere?

yeah, it's up on the GW NZ page now
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Battle-Mat-Soulblight-Necropolis-2017

They really should have just cut to the chase and called it "Frozen Grave Battlemat"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's an awesome mat, but I can't see spending $80 usd on it.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zuul the Cat posted:

So through a trade I ended up with a pretty decent amount of Stormcast Eternals.

I essentially have 3 sets of the starter set.

30 Liberators
3 Lord Relictors
3 Lord Celestants on Dracoths
9 Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers
9 Retributors

Where should I go from here? I want some ranged stuff, and plan on picking up some different heroes. Is there anything that's mandatory for Stormcast Eternals?

Well you might trade off the extra relictors and lord celestants on dracoths.

Good stuff:

Retributors are fantastic. Consider picking up a few more paladins with star soul maces. You need at least 1 more to make 2 squads of 5 or 1 killer squad of 10.

Stormcast have good ranged options. Judicators are great and count for your battleline. The new vanguard-raptors are also a strong ranged choice.

The Lord Castellant and Celestant on Foot are good heroes to pick up.

The Celestant-Prime is strong and a good centerpiece model.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I don't understand why GW keeps making 4x4 mats when both AoS and Sigmar are primarily played on 6x4.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Floppychop posted:

I don't understand why GW keeps making 4x4 mats when both AoS and Sigmar are primarily played on 6x4.

No idea but they're great for playing Firefight on.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

SWA and AoS skirmish are on 4x4.

But yeah, it's kind of silly.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

Well you might trade off the extra relictors and lord celestants on dracoths.

Good stuff:

Retributors are fantastic. Consider picking up a few more paladins with star soul maces. You need at least 1 more to make 2 squads of 5 or 1 killer squad of 10.

Stormcast have good ranged options. Judicators are great and count for your battleline. The new vanguard-raptors are also a strong ranged choice.

The Lord Castellant and Celestant on Foot are good heroes to pick up.

The Celestant-Prime is strong and a good centerpiece model.

Can you not run the same hero more than once?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

SWA and AoS skirmish are on 4x4.

But yeah, it's kind of silly.

I have a 6x4 and it's pretty easy to either drape the mat over a 4x4 table, or just cordon off a chunk of the mat with terrain or a divider of some kind.

What I'm saying it's pretty easy to go smaller than the mat you have, next to impossible to go bigger outside of getting a new mat.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Assuming they did any market research (lol) they may have decided people didn't have room at home for 6x4 tables and 4x4 mats were more likely to sell to people shopping in GW stores.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

Certain ones I think. But more to the point but having more then one Stardrakes is kind of superfluous as they are expensive and you should only be able to field one. (Plus you could easily sell one and get a ton of other models.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Assuming they did any market research (lol) they may have decided people didn't have room at home for 6x4 tables and 4x4 mats were more likely to sell to people shopping in GW stores.

Market research is something they have improved on.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 21, 2017

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I often play 1000 point games on a 4x4 board. Works well.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zuul the Cat posted:

You can.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's an awesome mat, but I can't see spending $80 usd on it.

It's definitely overpriced, but I preordered one anyway since there's probably never going to be a better Frostgrave mat, and when it sells out I don't want to pay double that for one on eBay.

...and I preordered the Skirmish rules, which was a big surprise to me. The rules team seems to be knocking it out of the park with 8th ed 40k, enough that I was willing to give AoS a second look. Huh. Not a place I expected to find myself.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just played two games of AoS and with the Battle plans they were the two best game of AoS I've had.

These are escalation league games so it was 500pts and then 1000pts.

In the two games combined my Treelord Ancient took a grand total of three wounds which she promptly healed. She killed over three hundred points of Skaven in the first game on her own too.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's amazing just how much better AoS is when you're playing any battle plan other than the bog-standard deathmatch, it's not even funny how much of an improvement it makes.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Do some people really play without battleplans? :confused:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

Yes. Yes they do.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pawl posted:

Oh god, do they ever.

It kills me inside when I see regulars to my store play dull rear end deathmatch games of AoS or 40k and then bitch about how bland the game was... but then when you suggest they play a different scenario or battleplan they balk at the very idea.

C'mon my dudes, you're actively making either game worse for yourself.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hey. So a lot of my friends do AoS and I've been kinda interested. I was kinda wanting to start up a nurgle force. Of the armies I know about, one plays Khadorans, one plays Skaven, and another Sylvaneth. Not sure about the rest.

They told me about rotbringers, slaves to darkness, and the nurgle daemons. I'm really interested in the idea of mortal champions of nurgle maybe backed up by daemons, are there any advantages to running purely mortal or is mixing in plaguebearers and poo poo fine?

I'm totally new to the game and would like to get a small force started.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2017

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
You could run Mortal Nurgle (Slaves to Darkness with NURGLE keyword), Rotbringers (elite mortals, mostly special characters) and Daemons. There are no significant advantages to sticking with any 1 of these 3 factions, except for Rotbringers since you get Blightkings as a battleline (ie: Troop Tax) unit. Blightkings are good but you can just bring some Plaguebearers as battleline instead.

Most unit buffs work on NURGLE keyword units while only a few specifically state MORTAL NURGLE keyword, so go hog wild and mix 'em up

You can also mix in Skaven Pestilens because they all have the NURGLE keyword.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chutche2 posted:

Hey. So a lot of my friends do AoS and I've been kinda interested. I was kinda wanting to start up a nurgle force. Of the armies I know about, one plays Khadorans, one plays Skaven, and another Sylvaneth. Not sure about the rest.

They told me about rotbringers, slaves to darkness, and the nurgle daemons. I'm really interested in the idea of mortal champions of nurgle maybe backed up by daemons, are there any advantages to running purely mortal or is mixing in plaguebearers and poo poo fine?

I'm totally new to the game and would like to get a small force started.

Now is a hot time to get into Nurgle. Tzeench and Khorne stuff recently got big rules releases that made them into much more synergistic forces for people who want to mix mortal and daemonkin. With Death Guard being a big thing in the next 40k release, this summer is likely to feature a similar Nurgle supplement for AoS fleshing them out as a faction and you can get in on the ground floor.

In my own personal misadventures, I played my Spire of Dawn box Skaven against a Blades of Khorne army and later a Sylvaneth army. That box is not very good on its own y'all :) I poo poo the bed in deployment vs the Khorne army, and the Treelord and Kurnoth just tore me apart in the Sylvaneth match. Coming from fighting games and Magic, it's a little frustrating having to learn nuance in so many aspects when you can't quickly iterate games, but I'm still having fun.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 22, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Now is a hot time to get into Nurgle. Tzeench and Khorne stuff recently got big rules releases that made them into much more synergistic forces for people who want to mix mortal and daemonkin. With Death Guard being a big thing in the next 40k release, this summer is likely to feature a similar Nurgle supplement for AoS fleshing them out as a faction and you can get in on the ground floor.

In my own personal misadventures, I played my Spire of Dawn box Skaven against a Blades of Khorne army and later a Sylvaneth army. That box is not very good on its own y'all :) I poo poo the bed in deployment vs the Khorne army, and the Treelord and Kurnoth just tore me apart in the Sylvaneth match. Coming from fighting games and Magic, it's a little frustrating having to learn nuance in so many aspects when you can't quickly iterate games, but I'm still having fun.

Getting some Stormvermin and maybe another spire of dawn set would probably help your forces. (Also Rattling Guns)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 22, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Getting some Stormvermin and maybe another spire of dawn set would probably help your forces. (Also Rattling Guns)

Yeah I'm trying to get what I have painted before I start buying more stuff, but I definitely want some more shooting and to shift away from the contents of that box, especially because I constantly forget the extra combat part of the Batallion and have goofed up the reserve deployment both times. That box is still great value for what it is, it's just severely lacking in synergy and doesn't have much raw power or a consistent gameplan to compensate.

Long term plan is to move to a Skryre force with Stormfiends so I'm not keen on buying a second box.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah I'm trying to get what I have painted before I start buying more stuff, but I definitely want some more shooting and to shift away from the contents of that box, especially because I constantly forget the extra combat part of the Batallion and have goofed up the reserve deployment both times. That box is still great value for what it is, it's just severely lacking in synergy and doesn't have much raw power or a consistent gameplan to compensate.

Long term plan is to move to a Skryre force with Stormfiends so I'm not keen on buying a second box.

That is fair.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've been playing a lot of Moonclan Grots (the former Night Goblins).

They have a really interesting archetype, that they're sort of a "glass cannon horde" army. Thanks to the battleshock stuff, they lose a lot of models when it comes to morale stuff, but the Moonclan Boss' leader ability is giving all of them double damage for that turn. So the idea is to get the alpha strike with them before they start fleeing en masse.

Also the shaman can start tripping out mid-game after eating bad mushrooms :allears:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've been playing a lot of Moonclan Grots (the former Night Goblins).

They have a really interesting archetype, that they're sort of a "glass cannon horde" army. Thanks to the battleshock stuff, they lose a lot of models when it comes to morale stuff, but the Moonclan Boss' leader ability is giving all of them double damage for that turn. So the idea is to get the alpha strike with them before they start fleeing en masse.

Also the shaman can start tripping out mid-game after eating bad mushrooms :allears:

Chaos has an artefact that lets you throw out Inspiring Presence in addition to another command ability. Can you get anything like that to stem the morale bleeding?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Chaos has an artefact that lets you throw out Inspiring Presence in addition to another command ability. Can you get anything like that to stem the morale bleeding?

Sadly not. Bad leadership is Destruction's cross to bear.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So my initial thought was to get a start collecting box of slaves to darkness and nurgle daemons, and maybe a unit of blightkings. Should I wait until the summer to see if there's more nurgle releases then? I know that AoS tends to have bigger squads of stuff so the 5 blightkings and 10 plaguebearers probably wouldn't get me very far.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

chutche2 posted:

So my initial thought was to get a start collecting box of slaves to darkness and nurgle daemons, and maybe a unit of blightkings. Should I wait until the summer to see if there's more nurgle releases then? I know that AoS tends to have bigger squads of stuff so the 5 blightkings and 10 plaguebearers probably wouldn't get me very far.

Unless you're playing a horde army, squads are actually smaller than usual! For example, 5 blight kings and 10 plaguebearers are already 280pts.

As for waiting, I promise plaguebearers and blight kings will still be pretty foremost in most Nurgle armies, and I doubt that's gonna change.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Unless you're playing a horde army, squads are actually smaller than usual! For example, 5 blight kings and 10 plaguebearers are already 280pts.

As for waiting, I promise plaguebearers and blight kings will still be pretty foremost in most Nurgle armies, and I doubt that's gonna change.

I see. Plague bearers get harder to hit when 20 strong, but so they're not usually fielded like that?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

chutche2 posted:

I see. Plague bearers get harder to hit when 20 strong, but so they're not usually fielded like that?

I've not looked at Nurgle stuff at all, so it's up to you, really.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chutche2 posted:

There will almost certainly be a little bit of new nurgle stuff but AFAIK both those boxes are solid if you want to start now.

Edit: Chaos Warriors usually want 20 man squads. I can't speak for Nurgle either.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
But yeah definitely getting the daemons and blightkings of course. Just not sure yet about the slaves to darkness.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chutche2 posted:

But yeah definitely getting the daemons and blightkings of course. Just not sure yet about the slaves to darkness.

Chaos Warriors are Stormcast Liberators that can save against Mortal Wounds. They're solid filler if you need some solid warm bodies with a Nurgle keyword or want to break out into other chaos forces later. I think the chaos sorcerer is fine but I don't remember what else is in the slaves Darkness box.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

mango sentinel posted:

Chaos Warriors are Stormcast Liberators that can save against Mortal Wounds. They're solid filler if you need some solid warm bodies with a Nurgle keyword or want to break out into other chaos forces later. I think the chaos sorcerer is fine but I don't remember what else is in the slaves Darkness box.

12 warriors, 5 knights, a sorceror lord, and a chariot.

It occurs to me that the 12 warriors in the box and the 16 from the chaos warrior regiment gets me 28 warriors which is divisible by 7.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That Chariot with Gorebeast seems like a strong choice.

• Locked thread