Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

e3 drunk ramblings are going to be loving amazing if peeps are already talking mad poo poo like this and they ain't even been drinkin

quote:

Chris and I had a pretty good working relationship, I think. Great even, as long as you don't share anything negative. As long as you don't say no or make things too complicated. We started calling him Chris the Ripper because he absolutely eviscerated people that tried explaining things to him.

quote:

In you go, thinking you have a handle on some part of the project, right? You have this thing nailed and yet it's totally gone when you get in. Tons of problems, that. You see it across every department, yeah? When one thing finishes climbing the stairs, Chris kicks it back down. Dragging it back up again and again, you feel like you've climbed a skyscraper but you're still on the first floor. Over and over. Some type of special developer hell, that. Some special circle, yeah? *laughs*

quote:

Chris surrounds himself with idiots. If he actually followed through on his promise to dismiss [a few senior staff] I might've stayed.

This post didn't get the love it deserved. If Chris is still kicking stuff back down the stairs in 2017 the money situation couldn't be too dire. Then again he appears to have a project management style that requires complete disconnection from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

This post didn't get the love it deserved. If Chris is still kicking stuff back down the stairs in 2017 the money situation couldn't be too dire. Then again he appears to have a project management style that is completely disconnected from reality.
[/quote]

Its because its fake and meant to appeal to goondom

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

thatguy posted:

Because their current lives are miserable and they would like to escape to a magical world where anything is possible. Chris has promised them that and now they've wasted all their money and are stuck waiting, hoping, dreaming, and wishing that he'll deliver. Wulf is basically the perfect example of this.
Oh yes, I get that too. An implicit question, also, is that why is it in this real-life simulator is it that they're all clamoring for all the tedious bullshit that we leave out of games because we already have that in our day to day lives. I can understand being a hero with his chariot zipping around the stars. That's cool! Add a few activities like ship combat or getting out to get into fire fights with other players/NPCs and that's a solid basis for a game. But we also have to demand that we play flight attendant or manage cargo or check the latest space forecast or else we might be late on our Desert Bus (but in SPAAAAAACCCCCE) drive to Podunk Station, rear end End of Galaxy star system.

If our lives are already full of pointless drudgery, why is our life replacement simulator "featuring" that? It makes no sense to me.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

Its because its fake and meant to appeal to goondom

You jester! TheAgent would never post something he made up on the internet.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

trucutru posted:

A lying-liar: We're gonna have multiplayer!
A naive uneducated 35-year-old child: That loving liar! there was no multiplayer
An uber goon: You stupid retard should have done your research and realized that with a team of fifteen and the requirements of real time online multiplayer this was not possible so, ergo, he wasn't lying when he lied.

Sean Murray directly misrepresented the details of his game, and looked the other way when public expectations went over the top. The internet hype machine also pushed extreme expectations of the final product.

They're both at fault, the developers, and the fan hype machine. Fan expectations got completely out of hand, and the development lead laughed and smiled at many of those expectations, and gave an explicit thumbs up to a few of them. Those expectations should have been tamped down.

Sony also has fault in pushing it as hard as they did. I understand why Sean Murray did what he did; he ran a tiny developer trying to sell its product. He still shouldn't have lied, but everyone else also shouldn't have put it on a pedestal.

It would've been a totally fine indie game, and nobody would've complained about it, if they didn't implicitly, and in some cases explicitly, allow the extreme expectations to occur.

It should've never been pushed as a $60 full game defining a reason to buy a PS4, with headlining E3 presentations. It should've just been sold as a $20-$30 great indie title to gently caress around in.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Roflan posted:

'Recent lack of development'? I only putz around with it every couple of months, so I have no clue. But didn't they just release the... commander creator, or whatever it's called, and multiplayer ships within the past couple months?

Yeah, but that haven't implemented all the dreams that Shitizens have immediately and for free (OP of that thread is a born-again Shitizen who regained the faith with the 3.0 on-rails demo with no actual gameplay).

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

kw0134 posted:

Oh yes, I get that too. An implicit question, also, is that why is it in this real-life simulator is it that they're all clamoring for all the tedious bullshit that we leave out of games because we already have that in our day to day lives. I can understand being a hero with his chariot zipping around the stars. That's cool! Add a few activities like ship combat or getting out to get into fire fights with other players/NPCs and that's a solid basis for a game. But we also have to demand that we play flight attendant or manage cargo or check the latest space forecast or else we might be late on our Desert Bus (but in SPAAAAAACCCCCE) drive to Podunk Station, rear end End of Galaxy star system.

If our lives are already full of pointless drudgery, why is our life replacement simulator "featuring" that? It makes no sense to me.
Immersion. You're probably too mentally stable to understand.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chris_wavy_hands.gif
stimpre.txt

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

Name one time chris directly lied.

There was that one time back at COMDEX '89 or whatever it was, when he was strutting up and down the place, claiming he had reverse-engineered Lucasarts' Battlehawks engine for use in Wing Commander. It was all nonsense, of course, since he wasn't even nearly competent enough to do that (which made everyone happy since that meant that Origin would not be sued into a very large smoking crater).

It hasn't really improved since then.

In fact, I'd like to see someone dig out one time when he didn't lie with at least one of his claims and statements.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

Name one time chris directly lied.
"Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win"

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Sorry I meant:

thatguy posted:

"Real quick, Star Citizen is"

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

thatguy posted:

"Real quick, Star Citizen is:

What happens when a bunch of nerds with over active imaginations give you $150 million and are obviously dumb enough to fall for the 'graphics are of critical importance' line.

Get it right man :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

thatguy posted:

Sorry I meant:

thatguy posted:

"Real”
Why look any further?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

kw0134 posted:

Imagine being such an awful shut in that you demand that your fantastic science fiction escapism includes such features as manual handling of cargo boxes and mopping floors.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
Hey Peter Gabriel someone archered your vid for a compilation and it has 400k views on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGBB_uSRADc&t=300s

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:argh:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Imagine being such an awful shut in that you demand that your fantastic science fiction escapism includes such features as manual handling of cargo boxes and mopping floors.

Bingo. We buy videogames that allow us to do things we can't do in real life: fly fighter planes, single-handedly infiltrate Outer Heaven and stop Liquid Snake, throw fireballs at Dhalsim, win first place at Le Mans, lead a civilisation from the stone age to space. Most people don't want to include mopping floors and stacking boxes in our entertainment because they're the sort of thing we have to do either at work or at home. They're not fun, just necessary chores. Now imagine you're the sort of person who has never worked, either through genuine disability or through a mother who gave in too much and now worries what will happen to her 40 year-old son when she's not around to look after him. The sort of mundane tasks that get filtered out of most games become something genuinely unusual and exotic.

To provide some evidence for this, I'd point out that Yahtzee Croshaw of Zero Punctuation fame found he quite liked mundane job simulators (Papers Please, Farming Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, Viscera Clean Up Detail). While he's not someone who has never worked, he is someone who for several years now has made his living by playing and talking about videogames. Most games are about being the chosen hero, saving the world, winning the big race, etc. If you're spending most of your working life playing that sort of thing, it makes sense that the games you play to genuinely relax will be something different from your work.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Please calm down. :ohdear:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

Please calm down. :ohdear:

He cannot. :smith:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sunswipe posted:

He cannot. :smith:

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

that has literally never mattered

You're absolutely right and I stand corrected. You're a space age honeypot.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Sunswipe posted:

Bingo. We buy videogames that allow us to do things we can't do in real life: fly fighter planes, single-handedly infiltrate Outer Heaven and stop Liquid Snake, throw fireballs at Dhalsim, win first place at Le Mans, lead a civilisation from the stone age to space. Most people don't want to include mopping floors and stacking boxes in our entertainment because they're the sort of thing we have to do either at work or at home. They're not fun, just necessary chores. Now imagine you're the sort of person who has never worked, either through genuine disability or through a mother who gave in too much and now worries what will happen to her 40 year-old son when she's not around to look after him. The sort of mundane tasks that get filtered out of most games become something genuinely unusual and exotic.

To provide some evidence for this, I'd point out that Yahtzee Croshaw of Zero Punctuation fame found he quite liked mundane job simulators (Papers Please, Farming Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, Viscera Clean Up Detail). While he's not someone who has never worked, he is someone who for several years now has made his living by playing and talking about videogames. Most games are about being the chosen hero, saving the world, winning the big race, etc. If you're spending most of your working life playing that sort of thing, it makes sense that the games you play to genuinely relax will be something different from your work.
Yes, but at the same time, that shut-in who hasn't seen the light of day since the Clinton administration ought to find the act of escaping into the cockpit of a spaceship made of pure imagination novel in of itself. Taking two of your examples, I imagine the target demographic neither does any significant farming nor trucking, so that could be interesting from the POV of the like 98% of the developed world who likely have no clue what either profession is like even on a glancing basis (thus explaining also Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley). I'd be interested in the details of making a modern agribusiness work, because I'm a white collar guy whose exposure to rural life is nil, and I'm sure that even that elides the act of needing to get up at the crack of dawn to go around and shovel cow poo poo out of the barns, the sort of drudgery that SC seems intent on emulating.

I guess if you've spent your life staring at a wall and masturbating, then picking up a mop might be exciting. Yet, I'd have to imagine that given the choice between being a guy who jumps out of his magnificent space ship to headshot some fool on the landing pad, then hops back in so he could participate in a massive fleet battle raging above the station he's orbiting, versus hiding in the cargo hold and counting how many space chickens he's able to squeeze into his ship so he can make a bit of cash, well, I dunno. One sounds insanely more exciting than the other, and it ain't playing space trucker in space.

But I could also be trying to analyze a bunch of broke brains, so maybe my trying to rationalize their decisions is as futile as waiting for the game to be released.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kw0134 posted:

Yes, but at the same time, that shut-in who hasn't seen the light of day since the Clinton administration ought to find the act of escaping into the cockpit of a spaceship made of pure imagination novel in of itself. Taking two of your examples, I imagine the target demographic neither does any significant farming nor trucking, so that could be interesting from the POV of the like 98% of the developed world who likely have no clue what either profession is like even on a glancing basis (thus explaining also Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley). I'd be interested in the details of making a modern agribusiness work, because I'm a white collar guy whose exposure to rural life is nil, and I'm sure that even that elides the act of needing to get up at the crack of dawn to go around and shovel cow poo poo out of the barns, the sort of drudgery that SC seems intent on emulating.

I guess if you've spent your life staring at a wall and masturbating, then picking up a mop might be exciting. Yet, I'd have to imagine that given the choice between being a guy who jumps out of his magnificent space ship to headshot some fool on the landing pad, then hops back in so he could participate in a massive fleet battle raging above the station he's orbiting, versus hiding in the cargo hold and counting how many space chickens he's able to squeeze into his ship so he can make a bit of cash, well, I dunno. One sounds insanely more exciting than the other, and it ain't playing space trucker in space.

But I could also be trying to analyze a bunch of broke brains, so maybe my trying to rationalize their decisions is as futile as waiting for the game to be released.

While I appreciate your comments, the basic premise of these feelings is that we are basically locked out of claiming property and deeds without cash to claim a stake since those days are long gone. Space, is somewhat infinite (it is only around 100 systems or so,) and gives the freedom to explore with our jpegs and to stake our claim like homesteaders did for the 40 acres and a space mule in the olden times with spaceships. To become a land baron so to speak. The rest of the tasks are ancillary.

Mundane tasks then represent a challenge...to build an empire. Establishing a railroad, mopping or whatever can be farmed out to NPCs.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Don't make us get the

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Latin Pheonix posted:

It's Sunday, I don't have much to do and I'm bored so I thought I'd write a wall of text seeing how much I lurk this thread. Looking at the development of this game (lol) the past year, I've been trying to figure out what's been happening, they went from announcement to development that spat out a few basic parts of the game then everything just kind of went silent until the very recent flurry of activity that's been taking place now.

My guess as to what happened is that by choosing the prettiest engine he could find, Chris Roberts ended up with a wonky, totally inflexible engine that was a complete nightmare to work with, but due to his belief he could fix it and/or CIG's partnership with Crytek he could not back out of using the engine when the problems became visible. Progress was slow and grinding but still move forward as they basically tried to rip apart the engine and remake it for what they needed. The fact that all meaningful progress came to a halt shortly after Crytek's financial issues surfaced (2.0 came out in late 2015, Crytek announced it's financial problems in late 2014 and shut down most of its studies in 2016) seems to support this. My best guess is that at this point CR was hoping that Illfonic would deliver Star Marine which might placate backers while CIG figured out how they could pull the game out of the fire with no support from Crytek and when Illfonic failed to deliver (either it was unusable with SC or not up to CR's ridiculous standards) they just went silent. They made some developments which they showed to backers (procedural planets) but had no way to implement them into SC without totally breaking the engine.

Then along came Lumberyard with a whole 'new' Cryengine to work on and company (Amazon) to lean on and CIG/CR quietly decided to make a switch to Lumberyard which, while new and untested, might be more suitable for a game like SC. CIG threw out a couple of scripted made-up tech demos at Gamescon and Citizencon to placate backers/attract more money and then tried to figure out how to match those demos. I'm pretty sure that the reason for the whole "3.0 in December" announcement vs "stripped-out 3.0 in July" reality was CIG's belief that they could just 'switch over' the broken mess that they had into lumberyard but later realising that Starengine and Lumberyard were two divergent branches of Crytek (notably Lumberyard's networking tech, which they must have desperately wanted to incorporate) which could not be easily combined.

I'm almost certain that in 2016 there were two parallel development tracks for SC: one team tweaking 2.x and adding some paper-thin 'features' to keep the backers happy and have something to show on AtV while the other team was trying to rebuild everything they had done from scratch at Lumberyard, copying over as many assets/code as would work and rebuilding anything that would not go across. This also explains why CIG kept harping on about 2.6.x while all their backers kept shouting "what about 3.0?!" for the first few months of 2017 - they had nothing to show. My guess is that the big meeting that took place in April (just before the schedule was released) was the heads of studios talking about whether or not Lumberyard was 'go' for SC and, if not, what parts can be sacrificed and added in later (in 3.1 or 3.2).

I don't think that CIG and/or CR are saints, I definitely think that they have lied or seriously misled the backers, especially the last few years. I don't think CR is a competent project manager as, even by CIG's own admission, he has to involve himself at almost every stage of development and is basically a massive bottleneck for the whole project. In addition to this, CR's obsession with 'fidelity' is ridiculous to the point that it is possibly the biggest source of all of CIG's troubles; it is likely the reason why development takes far longer than it should do and is almost certainly why Cryengine was picked as the game's engine, despite a lot of people (myself included) being completely bewildered at CIG choosing such an engine for an MMO. This is also why I suspect the UK studio seems to be the most productive of the CIG development studios; Erin Roberts probably shields his staff from the worst of CR's madness.

CR and the backers are also their own worst enemies in that both CR and the backers want everything to be in this game, and because of this there is a horrible design feedback loop where CR proposes a simple gameplay idea (e.g. passenger carriage), the backers begin to ask for ludicrous levels of detail ("can we entertain/serve drinks to the passengers?"), which CR naturally feels compelled to agree with and include ("Yes, you get to run an entertainment system/food and drinks system! This breaks down and needs replacing! You can get buy better entertainment systems! You can choose the colour of your flight attendant's pubes!"), it's hugely detrimental to the project and most sane designers would know better than to blindly agree to every idiot suggestion that gets sent to their inbox.

That said, though, I don't think everyone at CIG is a moustache-twirling villain that's desperately trying to scam backers for every cent they have, I do get the impression that a lot of people working in the project do genuinely care and are trying their best to deliver ~the dream~ despite having to work with a very uncooperative engine and with a CEO that makes insane demands for content, and 'fidelity' (and delivered flawlessly, naturally). I do, however, get the distinct impression that CIG is either concerned or badly hurting for funding given the recent things they have done (starting a widely-panned referral contest, the recent CCU changes, the merchandise shop changes, the recent not-so-subtle push for subscriptions), either this or I am a simpleton incapable of understanding the genius of Sandi's marketing tactics.

I dunno if I'm right on any of this, but that's how SC is looking to me at the moment, if I'm wrong about it all feel free to rip into my opinion. :v:

Good post. Good summary of events and conjecture. Welcome. :)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Titanic posted:

Good post. Good summary of events and conjecture. Welcome. :)

Good post, or not, don't feel inclined to build up an effort post via lurking about. Just throw down with your poo poo everyday, so nobody feels any need to tldr whatever you end up with.

This thread is a "just post" station.

Just Post

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Really? Doxxing PG's kid now? What have we become?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

Really? Doxxing PG's kid now? What have we become?

Full circle. PG is procedural generation after all.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ripptide posted:

Don't make us get the

What is this new ship's function, and how much does it cost?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Hasn't Frontier made about $150M in the last 6 years?

starkebn fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 22, 2017

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Oh no. Dancy cat is mad and angry. Hes gonna make a new angry video soon i kbow it.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Breetai posted:

What is this new ship's function, and how much does it cost?

Introducing the new Drake Firengine (Fur-en-guyne)! It has shown promise in expiremental testing in the Battle for Spergonia, the Acetylene rich, oxygen-low atmosphere, and also did well supplying the colonists of Tatooine Lier III with fresh water. This ship can be yours in the 'verse for the wildly low price of $800! Anything less would be a steal! Get yours fast, as supplies for these are limited, and will not return!*

(*May return if employee salaries are not getting paid, restrictions apply, game mechanic "fire-fighting" or "water supply" do not actually exist)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kw0134 posted:

Reading over the past few effort posts about what to expect in a space game, I wonder: why is it about space games that attract this need to throw everything into it? You can do all this on Earth, and of course all these activities that are being touted are all real-life analogs. Shrink the scale and there's nothing to stop a game from featuring a flight attendant who jumps into an F-16 on weekends to perform merc work for some PMC and then explore some of the places on Earth which have seen little human contact so you can say you've been there. All the while you can decide to play comex trader on the Chicago Mercantile and direct your fleet of delivery truck drivers (or be one yourself if you like) to spread your goods to all sorts retail outlets, in multiple nations even. There's no game that's Civ plus Capitalism plus MS Flight Sim plus Harpoon plus Desert Bus plus Call of Duty plus Whatever bullshit that reflects being a flight attendant. Even leaving aside how mundane many of these jobs would be since Train Sim is a thing, everyone would acknowledge that this would be an unfeasibly huge mess of a game.

SC is mundane Earth activities...but in SPAAAACCEEEEE!!! How is any of this scope reasonable? Why is it that once you put something in space, you can ask a developer ("developer") to put in an inordinate amount of fine detail on random nonsense that would be utterly out of place in a game set in the world we actually inhabit? I must have missed the mini-game in MS Flight Sim where you get out of the cockpit and ask each passenger whether he or she wants a soda or coffee, then trundle down the aisle with your special drinks cart and you have to serve it correctly or you lose points.

It's not just space. Illfonic's failed lovecraftian RPG Revival had similar things. Which was even more hilarious, because to be lovecraftian it was supposed to be a low magic medieval-ish setting. So people were sperging about things like 'will bathing or not bathing have an in game effect?' so once a week your character would need to go wash to avoid a stinky status effect. Or "if you have a horse and stable, will you have to shovel out the manure to keep your pretty pretty pony happy and healthy?" So that some people could RP being a freelance stable boy or something who would muck out rich people's stalls for them.

https://www.revivalgame.com/blog
https://www.facebook.com/revivalgame/

They learned from CR and were selling virtual houses for the game that didn't exist yet. And then one day one of the subcontractors made a post in the official forums that the project had been canceled and the subcontractors let go. AFAIK that was the only notification their customers ever got. Not so much as an email. The only way to request a refund was to file a ticket in their bug reporting tracker. Very few people received a refund, most got a stock message "we are considering refunds on a case by case basis" and never replied to again.

Edit: If you have archives you can see goons go from hope to crushed dreams and then LOLing at retards who house jpgs in just 18 pages: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730761&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 21, 2017

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

DarkRefreshment posted:

I will concede the point that Chris may not be a liar IF we acknowledge, as with the 3.0 by the end of 2016, he is incompetent. If you see the laundry list of all the poo poo that has to be done to get 3.0 even 50% out, there is no way that an intelligent game designer, nay head of the company, could look at that and say "Yep a month or so now looks legit". Something has to explain the gross misses of dates and deliverables. Being a month or two off; sure I'll accept that. Stating incorrect dates over and over again with the knowledge that he has to have of where things are? Give me a break.
It's either malicious (a lie) or it's the lack of understanding of what you are doing (incompetence).

Yeah, unless your one programmer breaks his arms every two weeks. Ever think of that? Huh?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mangoose posted:

Yeah, unless your one programmer breaks his arms every two weeks. Ever think of that? Huh?

Thanks for reminding me.

Does anybody remember any of the details of the time CIG's programmer broke his hand and productions stopped til he got better?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
On the topic of mundane tasks..

It's escapism 101. People play games for entertainment, and a lot of people get really involved in games for other reasons. Once SC declared itself an MMO with all the crazy stuff CR says, escapism people went nuts for it.

There's lots of reasons for escapism. Hate your life. Hate your work. Hate your situation. You feel aimless. Can't fit in anywhere. Feel trapped by life.

This sort of thing isn't just for lol autists either. It could be the 40+ guy with a family and kids, but feels under appreciated by work or home. You can't easily fix your life, but you can have a new life.

It's not "I want to do stupid, mundane things in a video game." Otherwise they would go nuts for a Tower of Babel puzzle with physics or something silly. It's "I want to do stupid, mundane tasks and be appreciated for it."

These are the types super keen on being crewmen #12 on a ship. They don't want to be the hero, they just want to know what it's like to be appreciated and live another life outside of their own.

Escapism was easier in the 90's due to MUDs where you could role play. The system requirements weren't high and the games were pretty populated.

Today games focus on action a lot, and sure there are things like Second Life, but they are mostly themeless. A game like SC that promises deep systems for mundane jobs is exactly what a lot of people are looking for. It's not fantasy, or cartoony, and not 100% focused on action.

I'm willing to bet the number of people looking for this type of escapism are the majority shareholders of the Star Citizen sales. It's why no matter what you say or prove, it doesn't matter. There hasn't been a game since the 90's to cater to the escapism crowd and they are frothing at the mouth for a game in a genre they enjoy without a cartoony and actiony aspect.

The further along SC gets and the more it turns into a basic arena game instead of a mundane lives sci fi MMO, the more these hard core guys will lose interest. Once CR admits that Sq42 is all he is focusing on, that will also help scare these guys away. Nobody wants a 90's era FMV interspersed with space and FPS gameplay except Chris Roberts.

The escapism crowd is very hungry for something. They'll cling to SC for a long time, because there is no other sci fi alternative that promises to let them be store owners stocking shelves, or hunters on a planet camping under the stars and enjoying role playing. Same with long journeys through space with only your crew to interact with.

To most people this is boring poo poo, but to them it's literally the most important parts of the game.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

XK posted:

Good post, or not, don't feel inclined to build up an effort post via lurking about. Just throw down with your poo poo everyday, so nobody feels any need to tldr whatever you end up with.

This thread is a "just post" station.

Just Post

Yeah, I was just bored so felt like doing an effortpost, but normally I don't put that much effort into posting.

It does make me laugh, though, seeing the Reddit anti-goon posts as if there is some huge comeuppance when (if) SC gets released and is 'good', as if suddenly the Something Awful forums will just implode and Lowtax himself will post a public apology on the SC Reddit.

As was mentioned before, if the game fails then it's entertaining for goons; if the game comes out and is good, goons will join the game, create a guild and just grief the poo poo out of the same people that rabidly defend SC.

There is no way that this story ends that is a 'win' for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG maintained a 2016 release date on their Squadron 42 sale page after revealing a 2017 release at CitCon. They maintained that date while knowing full well it wasn't true, and knew so long before the actual reveal.

They sold something knowing full well it wouldn't be out when they said it would. They're loving liars.

They did exactly the same thing in 2013, they continued the illusion that the Dog Fighting Module would be released in December 2013 during the October 2013 Citizen Con sale and the $8 million "end of LTI" sale in November 2013 while being fully aware that they were not even close to hitting that target. It would be another full 6 months before a fraction of what was promised started to limp out.

Lying is profitable and CIG discovered that their community of suckers won't even call them on it.

I'm just hanging around for the fireworks at the end now.