Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
If King Zing is available the Sixers should get him and continue building the real life Monstars (sorry Cavs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls should probably trade jimmy but:

1. imagine jimmy in a celtics uniform, it's disgusting, outrageous, preposterous
2. imagine the brain trust that somehow got the worst player in a trade involving doug mcdermott cashing in their only good player for the next few years

I can't imagine Wade will not be back, he's obviously completely washed and he's not going to turn down $25 million when he can do whatever the gently caress he wants on the bulls and no one will stop him. Rondo will be back because he's the only competent PG on a roster and apparently a good mentor to the young players, which I imagine is all part of an elaborate machiavellian plot to somehow destroy fred hoiberg and cause him to get locked up in the count of monte cristo island while a cackling rondo somehow becomes the head coach of the chicago bulls. The bulls are completely and utterly hosed for the forseeable future, their only good player is butler.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

And nothing will change cause the Bulls led the league in attendance and made the playoffs this year.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Bulls have broken my brain. I think it's a terrible idea to trade a player as good as Jimmy Butler, because teams can spend a decade searching for someone of that caliber. He put in arguably a top-10 season this year.

And yet, I think they should trade him because the team is so devoid of worthwhile talent that it's implausible that thy could build a contender around him. Look at this assemblage of young """""talent"""""

Nikola Mirotic
Bobby Portis
Denzel Valentine
Cameron Payne
Jerian Grant
Paul Zipser
Cristiano Felicio

Basically all of those guys would be "He's got a shot at cracking the rotation!" players on good teams. It's a straight-up tire fire roster. And they're probably going to bring Mirotic back because he had one good month! They're probably going to bring Rondo back because he had two good games in the playoffs, which will only make it harder to invest minutes to develop Payne/Grant/Valentine as ballhandlers. It's a bad bad team and Jimmy deserves better

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Pungry posted:

You know who else is going to be on a rookie deal and controllable? Fultz. If you're the Celtics, I say you hold onto your pick and draft him.

Zinger is a bonafide NBA star with lots of potential. Fultz will probably not have his ceiling. Easy trade NY would be idiotic to make. Would be smarter the purge the FO and bench.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Zinger is a bonafide NBA star with lots of potential. Fultz will probably not have his ceiling. Easy trade NY would be idiotic to make. Would be smarter the purge the FO and bench.

I think you're underrating Fultz.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's a shame that like most """white players""" he was endlessly injured due to poor movement patterns caused by cultural patterns of footwear and sitting

Go on

Dejan Bimble posted:

That short haired players union director is either stupid or just gave in to their desires in hopes of ingratiating herself and keeping the position long term.

Neither IMO. The players have a lot to lose, nothing to gain that affects their daily material condition, and neither any militancy nor ideological counterweight to the owners. They see themselves as brands, products, ownable and merchandiseable commodities, which is already a capitulation to the owners' basic world view. There's no chance of any disciplined action.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i don't see the spurs adding a new PG to their lineup this offseason

parker's contract is still on the books and i think they'll try and renew patty

but mainly i think they're going to throw murray into the fire, tony parker style

pop is going to handcraft him into a rock solid point guard, so that'll be really exciting next season

i wonder how much longer pop is going to be around. i know he said he'd leave with duncan, then that he'd coach throughout aldridge's contract, but i wonder if having kawhi is exciting to him and he'll stick around for more time to coach him. it will be a sad day for the spurs to lose pop.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I think you're underrating Fultz.

It's interesting, because right now having a ballhandling guard who's a great shooter and good distributor as your centerpiece is a straightforward blueprint for building a successful team

But I wonder if, as the Porzingis/Towns/Jokic/Embiid (god willing) crop of players matures, the Unicorn (Official Name Trademarked And Popularized By The Ringer Dot Com Everyone Calls Them This Everyone) becomes the standard franchise centerpiece and people laugh at the terrible standard of basketball in the mid 2010s when you could win without a 7 footer scoring 28 ppg and shooting 40% from three.

If Anthony Davis had more team success at this point in his career you'd probably call the Fultz/Porzingis swap a no-brainer, but the shooty guard who can pass is still the cool thing to have so I dunno

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

milk milk lemonade posted:

Zinger is a .100 WS/48 player. He is not a star yet. He is valuable because he has the potential to be a star.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So apparently hip surgery is not out of the question for Isaiah Thomas.

Remember what happened to Johnny Flynn that caused him to go from good for a rookie to historic laughingstock? It was hip surgery, because hip surgery takes your quickness. And a PG/SG with no quickness is not an NBA player.

RIP Isaiah you flew too close to LeBron and you died

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 21, 2017

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Phil is now on the phone desperately trying to trade porzingis for futz and it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Go on

Neither IMO. The players have a lot to lose, nothing to gain that affects their daily material condition, and neither any militancy nor ideological counterweight to the owners. They see themselves as brands, products, ownable and merchandiseable commodities, which is already a capitulation to the owners' basic world view. There's no chance of any disciplined action.

I agree with your points and cannot dispute them, although when I hear Andre Igoudala talk I get a little bit of hope.

I would refer you to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9wySqwN4x8 this woman's book, 8 steps to a pain free back which use a sort of spurious anthropological argument to frame and correctly assert that since the early 1900s, sitting and walking in high heeled-non-flat shoes, has lead to ruined posture and movement in the west, and it's spreading.

And this book http://www.roguefitness.com/becomin...upple%20Leopard

For more techincal explanations. Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08uZGlEdk_s of him talking about it. He makes a good point elsewhere that kids tend to run properly and stand well until they turn 5/6 and are forced to spend half of each day seated and immobile.

You can get a pdf of the either on file sharing sites if you want to try before you buy, the back book has a lot of good photos of eyptian statues and various peasant laborers with perfect posture and biomechanics, and then tying bad languid posture to wealth with early fashion illustrations in the gilded age unto today. It's a convincing argument

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 21, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Zinger is a .100 WS/48 player. He is not a star yet. He is valuable because he has the potential to be a star.

And there's no map for how a player like him develops. Despite his rep Dirk was never a volume 3pt shooter, and maybe Zing won't be either. But we haven't seen any mediocre Dirk types either, really. He's far bigger and slower than Rashard Lewis or Hedo, not as skilled or athletic as Towns, there just isn't much to go on. He's an interesting case to be sure but might be getting the New York Player Who Doesn't Suck Hype Treatment

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Which is why I want him with a good coach and FO that would give him a chance to develop in a way that suits his talents.

But nope. Knicks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I agree with your points and cannot dispute them, although when I hear Andre Igoudala talk I get a little bit of hope.

I would refer you to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p_iOEQpq8M&t=139s ] this woman's book, 8 steps to a pain free back which use a sort of spurious anthropological argument to frame and correctly assert that since the early 1900s, sitting and walking in high heeled-non-flat shoes, has lead to ruined posture and movement in the west, and it's spreading.

And this book http://www.roguefitness.com/becomin...upple%20Leopard

For more techincal explanations. Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08uZGlEdk_s of him talking about it. He makes a good point elsewhere that kids tend to run properly and stand well until they turn 5/6 and are forced to spend half of each day seated and immobile.

You can get a pdf of the either on file sharing sites if you want to try before you buy, the back book has a lot of good photos of eyptian statues and various peasant laborers with perfect posture and biomechanics, and then tying bad languid posture to wealth with early fashion illustrations in the gilded age unto today. It's a convincing argument

This is very cool and I will respond in more detail later when I've watched it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh Win Shares is a function of team wins I don't know if that's a great measure of where he is. He's a fine NBA starter in spite of being on a clusterfuck of a team, which bodes well for a 21-year-old.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wolves should trade Rubio for Zinger and then sign Chris Paul

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
They'll fire Phil Jackson first, right

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chunkles posted:

They'll fire Phil Jackson first, right

James Dolan

Only one of the two owners worse than the Reonsdorf's

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 21, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dp

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Crazy Ted posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh Win Shares is a function of team wins I don't know if that's a great measure of where he is. He's a fine NBA starter in spite of being on a clusterfuck of a team, which bodes well for a 21-year-old.

im pretty sure win shares has nothing to do with how many wins your team has

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Crazy Ted posted:

BBR win shares do not use team wins as an input. They do use some elements of team defense and offense to calculate WS but they aren't working from the result as Bill James was with his original win shares formula. The fact that additive team win shares are usually pretty close to a team's actual wins (root mean squared error is ~3 games a season iirc) is evidence the stat is well designed as a post facto descriptor of performance.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
congratulations to former NBA stars Luigi Datome, Pero Antic, Ekpe Udoh, Jan Vesely and Anthony Bennett on winning the Euroleague with Fenerbahce

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Papes posted:

Warriors are not the best defensive team. Lebron will get to rim at will and heaven forbid if they have to play McGee meaningful minutes.

They were. There was only a .2 difference between them and the Spurs in drtg. Also, if they're the 2nd best defensive team then Cavs still have to play defense as the best.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I hope Jaylen guards Lebron for every possible minute for the last two games. Get that boy on the fast track

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cool Buff Man posted:

I hope Jaylen guards Lebron for every possible minute for the last two games. Get that boy on the fast track

to Postertown?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

The fast track to annihilation?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

fast track to the grave, brake his spirit young.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

im pretty sure win shares has nothing to do with how many wins your team has
I was sure it did. In any event, Porzingis is fine. He's a 7'3", 21-year-old putting up decent numbers on a team that's a mess around him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

curried lamb of God posted:

congratulations to former NBA stars Luigi Datome, Pero Antic, Ekpe Udoh, Jan Vesely and Anthony Bennett on winning the Euroleague with Fenerbahce

Who was this team's best player?

Edit: King Zing chat, lol if Zingis is gone but Melo is still on the Knicks next season.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Crazy Ted posted:

I was sure it did. In any event, Porzingis is fine. He's a 7'3", 21-year-old putting up decent numbers on a team that's a mess around him.

Bill James's original WS for baseball and basketball was set to 3WS/real team win split between the players. The stat on BBR is different and does not factor in team results. Good teams definitely elevate the WS of their players but only in the sense that being on a good team makes everyone play better

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 21, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spacebump posted:

Edit: King Zing chat, lol if Zingis is gone but Melo is still on the Knicks next season.

Considering the last 20 or so years it wouldn't even be surprising

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Spacebump posted:

bogdan bogdanovic

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

James Dolan

Only one of the two owners worse than the Reonsdorf's

c'mon who's two there's so many options and so many possible criterion

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

curried lamb of God posted:

I DVRed this game and now you've spoiled it >:[

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Away all Goats posted:

to Postertown?

Crazy Ted posted:

The fast track to annihilation?

Paul Zuvella posted:

fast track to the grave, brake his spirit young.

I mean yes, it's much better to have it happen during his rookie year than later on. You only learn how to guard Lebron one way and it isn't by guarding anybody else! He will die and resurrect.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

I picture Chicago as a frozen tundra where everyone is sad all the time because they cannot get any ketchup for their hot dogs because all of their tomatoes went into supporting the deep dish pizza industry and the only passtime is to be horrendously tortured with Jerry Reinsdorph's whips or shot by his illegal handguns and forced to watch the Bulls all winter and then the Cubs all summer while telling each other tales of Ice Hockey to keep hope alive.

Driving in Chicago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OvhOIu-8HA

Guns in Chicago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECGCoo3Ogxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz2OYRZwApQ

Traffic stop in Chicago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcb1VCkFll4

Buying a TV in Chicago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNInI3XsRNQ

Away all Goats posted:

Two teams going undefeated until the finals might actually happen.

Someone could've made a lot of money betting on Cavs/Warriors starting 24-0. A team could start the playoffs 13-0.

PantsFreeZone posted:

when do the NBA playoffs start?

April 2018

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
That win shares number for Kristaps is fine, my concern would be no improvement in year 2. I think his ceiling is higher than that. Saying he's a star is probably overrating him, but he's a known positive quantity vs. an unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

How teams beat LBJ in the past is irrelevant. The 2017 Cavs are the best 3P team in the whole league. Also, LBJ has more experience than ever.

Strawberry Panda posted:

So can the Cavs turn up their defense to be the best defensive team in the NBA? Probably not.

That's the big question. It remains to be seen to what level the Cavaliers were coasting on D this regular season. They're on the far fringes of defensive rankings compared with teams that've won a title before.

DC Murderverse posted:

I know he's working for the Lakers right now but Philly should back a dumptruck up to the charity of KAJ's choice and hire him to work with Embiid and teach him the ways of the sky-hook

I think KAJ said he practiced the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikan_Drill endlessly and that was the foundation for the hookshot.

• Locked thread