Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Does this game have circular progression if I eventually want to make the lizard brain happy with big numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

it's actually quite good that promotions just lift you to the class base; If i'm understanding it correctly, promotion basically erases bad levels and compensates for the low growths.

Yeah, the game just compares your current stats against the class bases and bumps everything lower than the former up to the latter. So since mercs have super good skill/speed units with bad growths in those don't care, same with soldiers and strength/defense

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hivac posted:

Does this game have circular progression if I eventually want to make the lizard brain happy with big numbers

Not for everyone. Dread Fighters can promote back to Villager to do infinite cycles, but for any other class you need a Villager Fork item which is currently a 1/off freebie download.

Also Celica and Alm only get 20/20 since they can't go Villager.

Their is paid DLC that adds an extra tier of classes as well, but lol at paying for that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zore posted:

Supports honestly feel pretty tacked on overall, a whole lot of them are about sweet gently caress all. Looking at you Tobin.

Eh, supports themselves seem that way but between base conversations, banter during battle, and general way more cutscene time, they are equal for me.

I mean, Tobin and Gray are STILL relevant and active in story cutscenes in chapter 4! That's goddamn amazing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hivac posted:

There's an item that lets any unit change class to a villager, and a DLC pack that lets you get one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I mean, Tobin and Gray are STILL relevant and active in story cutscenes in chapter 4! That's goddamn amazing.
On the other hand I kind of wish they'd made more of the cast mandatory so they could have them in cutscenes too. Gray and Tobin are great but them, and only them, commenting after literally every cutscene gets a little repetitive. It'd be cool if, idk, Luthier could pipe up sometimes, especially when things on Alm's side start getting related to magic and his cutscene party of knights and hicks just shrug their shoulders.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Eh, supports themselves seem that way but between base conversations, banter during battle, and general way more cutscene time, they are equal for me.

Kind of. Most people still fall out of the story pretty hard though outside of them and Clive.

Like Lukas just disappears the second you get to Clive. And having a small core of 6-8 'story' characters is the norm for all Fire Emblems anyways. They just don't cycle as much since the story isn't as long as most FEs.

Soren and Titania were relevant all throughout PoR for instance.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

On the other hand I kind of wish they'd made more of the cast mandatory so they could have them in cutscenes too. Gray and Tobin are great but them, and only them, commenting after literally every cutscene gets a little repetitive. It'd be cool if, idk, Luthier could pipe up sometimes, especially when things on Alm's side start getting related to magic and his cutscene party of knights and hicks just shrug their shoulders.

That's my biggest complaint story wise. Why even make any of the characters optional? There are not that many of them and it makes the ones who never talk really stand out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ethiser posted:

That's my biggest complaint story wise. Why even make any of the characters optional? There are not that many of them and it makes the ones who never talk really stand out.

Maybe they made them optional so they could get away with writing fewer lines for them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just got my poo poo wrecked on the Valley Approach only to realize I maaaaybe wasn't supposed to fight it yet, as Palla flew off after the battle. Good thing I hadn't saved! So instead I trekked back to the ocean shrine place to get Atlas promoted. I made him an archer as I was planning to but uuuuugh. Now he has 3 speed. The only promotion bonus he got was +1 hp. Why didn't I just make him a merc? He would've been bumped up to 10 spd that way!

It's because I wanted a Balanced party and I wanted some extra ranged support besides Leon. But now I'll have to feed him a lot of kills to get him up to snuff. At least he can plink at things from complete safety behind the front lines!

(Archers in this game are pretty great.)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It might not have the hp to do an attack.

That must have been it! The mechanics are still tripping me up...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It feels a little different in this game since the story characters aren't actually relevant to the story. Like the plot crew in FE9 is

Ike
Elincia
Titania
Soren
Reyson
Nasir
Mist
Ranulf

and the only ones there who aren't immediately story relevant are Titania, who's very important as Ike's mentor and falls off around chapter 20ish anyway, and Mist, who is kind of relevant due to the medallion stuff.

Meanwhile, Grey and Tobin just feel like a greek chorus. They have literally nothing to do with the plot and don't impact Alm's decision making at all. They're just guys giving their thoughts on things.

Ethiser posted:

I mean, some of them make sense, like Nomah's entire existence being a gag, Delthea/Tatiana/Zeke being minor challenges to recruit, the Sonya/Deen split, and so on. But it's really weird that every single player is expected to pick up Kliff and Faye at the start of the game but the simple fact of how many people are going to have played this game says that there's at least one person out there who didn't realize they were recruits.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I just got my poo poo wrecked on the Valley Approach only to realize I maaaaybe wasn't supposed to fight it yet, as Palla flew off after the battle. Good thing I hadn't saved! So instead I trekked back to the ocean shrine place to get Atlas promoted. I made him an archer as I was planning to but uuuuugh. Now he has 3 speed. The only promotion bonus he got was +1 hp. Why didn't I just make him a merc? He would've been bumped up to 10 spd that way!

It's because I wanted a Balanced party and I wanted some extra ranged support besides Leon. But now I'll have to feed him a lot of kills to get him up to snuff. At least he can plink at things from complete safety behind the front lines!

(Archers in this game are pretty great.)

That must have been it! The mechanics are still tripping me up...

Atlas is the best merc in the game, rip. He has almost no native speed growth but that doesn't really matter when class bases get you up to 16.

Also his skill is low so he seems like he'd be pretty poo poo as an archer with their shaky accuracy.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
What am I supposed to do with the chopping axe?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dread Fighter is absurdly the best class by far. Fast, relatively tanky, and is your best tools to fight all those goddamn Arcanists and Necrodragons and anything else magic related.

Also they are more flippy ninja poo poo than anything in Awakening or Fates, which is impressive in its own right.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hostess with the Moltres posted:

What am I supposed to do with the chopping axe?

Quest item. You can give it to a lumberjack

Tae posted:

Dread Fighter is absurdly the best class by far. Fast, relatively tanky, and is your best tools to fight all those goddamn Arcanists and Necrodragons and anything else magic related.

Also they are more flippy ninja poo poo than anything in Awakening or Fates, which is impressive in its own right.

Yeah, there are fantastic pegs and mages but thats due to their growths and individual bases. Dread Fighter bases can salvage anyone.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

Meanwhile, Grey and Tobin just feel like a greek chorus. They have literally nothing to do with the plot and don't impact Alm's decision making at all. They're just guys giving their thoughts on things.

When are they going to release Fire Emblem Echoes Gaiden: Grey and Tobin are Dead?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I do want to say though that the game is extraordinarily well written, tightly plotted, and peppered with nice little details that make it a joy to experience. I mean hell, at the end of Act 3 Alm and the Deliverance attempt to treat for peace with Rigelia. It doesn't go anywhere, but that it was even alluded to shocked me. Add that to the fact that multiple members of your party very deeply believe in the virtues of the nobility and blatantly look down upon peasants and commoners is also really satisfying to see too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also fyi: silver bows have a skill that silences enemy casters. i didnt realize this until near the end of my 2nd run.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I assume most of the importers played on normal when they said they barely remembered that abilities existed, because my battles are basically won or lost on abilities. I've been cheesing maps a little bit by having someone stand on a grave tile and use the "double terrain bonus" ability to solo everything.

Endorph posted:

also fyi: silver bows have a skill that silences enemy casters. i didnt realize this until near the end of my 2nd run.

Long bows have an ability to freeze an enemy in place.

Zore posted:

Abilities are a godsend for feeding kills or taking out bosses as well since they usually have substantial might/accuracy boosts.

I once Subdued 5 mages for Delthea to chomp up and eat for levels.

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Abilities are a godsend for feeding kills or taking out bosses as well since they usually have substantial might/accuracy boosts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Carlosologist posted:

I'm torn on whether or not to make Faye a Cleric or a Peg Knight

Peg Knight has fun mobility and a second one can make for strike duos. Dual clerics is spectacular in a game where spells cost hp, and she gets some very useful spells. Yeah, it's a toss-up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Peg Knight has fun mobility and a second one can make for strike duos. Dual clerics is spectacular in a game where spells cost hp, and she gets some very useful spells. Yeah, it's a toss-up.

Rescue basically lets you send a glass cannon to eliminate one enemy like a mage or archer and get them out of danger. Rinse, repeat. Warp+Rescue takes care of those fortress maps with a billion archers aiming down corridors.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Faye also has a smallish speed problem and Peg/Falcon bases aren't great.

Plus if you stick her next to Alm with their support she can Nosfeatu tank for days as a cleric which is hilarious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Iron Rose posted:

I do want to say though that the game is extraordinarily well written, tightly plotted, and peppered with nice little details that make it a joy to experience. [...] Add that to the fact that multiple members of your party very deeply believe in the virtues of the nobility and blatantly look down upon peasants and commoners is also really satisfying to see too.

I liked the "can we really afford to detour to rescue some peasant girl?" "Gee, Clive, I thought you were the noble who WASN'T a dick."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Desiax supposed to be Black Knight levels of OP?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I liked the "can we really afford to detour to rescue some peasant girl?" "Gee, Clive, I thought you were the noble who WASN'T a dick."

Clive us a really cool and well written character. He's a dude who's heart is in the right place and is aware he has shortcomings, but fucks up a bunch because he still has a bunch of lovely stuff internalized.

He's basically the character I was hoping Xander would be.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

Atlas is the best merc in the game, rip. He has almost no native speed growth but that doesn't really matter when class bases get you up to 16.

Also his skill is low so he seems like he'd be pretty poo poo as an archer with their shaky accuracy.

Bah. The OP recommended to make him an archer! :argh: I'm already getting ideas for my second playthrough...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

supports are kinda tacked on but there are some good bits to them, like leon's.

I'd say around half are good, and the others at worst are just kinda there.

Good Supports:
Both of Gray's
Both of Leon's
Celica/Mae
Clive/Mathilda
Genny/Sonya
Luthier/Delthea
Forsyth/Python
And probably some of the others I've forgotten or haven't seen yet.

Tae posted:

I'm really happy base conversations are back but I do think it's super weird how they're kinda random, and it can cause some issues with other parts of the writing. Like, Gray gets a conversation about speaking to Clair that doesn't really fit after his and Clair's B rank and some other small instances like that, but it's pretty minor though. Hopefully they keep the system and refine it for future games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
There are good supports, but honestly they're almost all super short and don't reveal anything new about the character. Faye's are all 'I sure am incredibly obsessed with Alm' stretched out over both her supports and the majority of her base conversations. Or the Whitewings which are literally all 'hey, here's our dynamic' stretched out.

I dunno, but the only supports I've really liked have been Clive/Mathilda, Grey/Clair and Leon/Kamui. Where they actually bounce off each other and show us new things. Most of the others range from inoffensive to actively feeling like pointless filler.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

There are good supports, but honestly they're almost all super short and don't reveal anything new about the character. Faye's are all 'I sure am incredibly obsessed with Alm' stretched out over both her supports and the majority of her base conversations. Or the Whitewings which are literally all 'hey, here's our dynamic' stretched out.

I dunno, but the only supports I've really liked have been Clive/Mathilda, Grey/Clair and Leon/Kamui. Where they actually bounce off each other and show us new things. Most of the others range from inoffensive to actively feeling like pointless filler.

I kinda like Faye and Silque's. The first two ranks are basically the same but there sorta seems to be a point to it, and in the A rank Faye barely even talks about Alm!

It's no Kliff/Tobin.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I kinda like Faye and Silque's. The first two ranks are basically the same but there sorta seems to be a point to it, and in the A rank Faye barely even talks about Alm!

It's no Kliff/Tobin.

I mean its kinda funny, but they really didn't need the 'gently caress you, you aren't Alm' thing to last two ranks. Like its a single note joke played back to back.

Also I might care about Faye if I knew literally anything about her beyond her dangerous obsession with Alm. Or if it ever had a payoff, like if Alm loving told her off in their A rank. Or there was a little base convo or something.

Like her and Alm don't even interact in their support as such. She says creepy poo poo, he kinda goes 'thats... odd' repeat x3.

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 22, 2017

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Resistance seems to be at a real premium in this game. Growth rates for the stat are abysmally low, and I don't think I've seen any classes with high base Res other than the magic classes. Even Dread Fighters seem to have a weird way of working around having high Res, giving you two skills instead of just increasing the stat permanently.

What's the deal? Why does this one stat seem to be so important?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno, because it's magic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Its weird because enemy res scales up semi-normally. And then you have people on your side who are lucky to ever proc their growth once so enemy mages get more deadly as the game goes on as your Res doesn't scale.

Meanwhile things like the levin sword fall off hard after a point because enemies start rocking enough res it does like 3 points of damage to half the field because Monsters/Sages/Witches/Dread Fighters etc all have decent Res.

Meanwhile Clive is getting 70% of his HP ripped out per cast in the late game and your knights can be 1RKO since their speed is so abysmal.

Also later recruits have way higher base Res for reasons? Why does Clive have 1 and Mathilda have 10? You could level Clive to level 200 and he'd be lucky to get to 10 Res.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'cause mathilda has boobs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mathilda is a res cav, while Clive is the physical tank. They work well as a partner unit, I guess.

Levin Sword never fell too far for me because that super ability is still good enough.

Literally the only problem I had with magic are witches because they go for Python every single time and kill him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

'cause mathilda has boobs

But all the male cavs who join later also have like 10 res. Its weird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Mathilda is a res cav, while Clive is the physical tank. They work well as a partner unit, I guess.

Levin Sword never fell too far for me because that super ability is still good enough.

Literally the only problem I had with magic are witches because they go for Python every single time and kill him.

Mathilda and Clive gave the same base Def. And she has a better Def growth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

But all the male cavs who join later also have like 10 res. Its weird.
zeke has 6, which is the gold knight base. mycen has 8 but he's the tank machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Mathilda and Clive gave the same base Def.

mathilda joins with like 7 levels on clive.

• Locked thread