Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

DarkRefreshment posted:

With all these bombers and stealth bombers being sold at a much larger amount than capital ships, aren't all those special cap pilots in for a paddling?

Obviously I've taken the liberty to assume that the game is coming out. But I wonder if any of the Capital Whales know they are really hosed since there are going to be a shitload more bombers than caps when the game starts.

They probably just assume they can hire all these fighters and bombers to protect them because riches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I believe you're mostly right.

We are an initiated group here though. I seriously doubt that if a random gamer stumbled onto (or just heard about and went to RSI's website) Star Citizen they would pickup on even a fraction of the red flags we all take as a given.

Like this guy yesterday:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

SquirrelGrip posted:

ask your parents

I am his parents.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i don't think this person talks to anyone in real life

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

grimcreaper posted:

I am his parents.

You are not

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got lost in the middle of nowhere in Elite Dangerous and totally unsure of what to do next about a year ago so of course I'm reinstalling it and upgrading to Horizons now that I have an Oculus Rift. So I guess Frontier suckered another fool out of his money.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
http://i.imgur.com/Z3nPhHF.gifv

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My god, it's full of dogs.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
that's going to be the gooncrew in 3.0

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

You are not

Are you attempting to misgenderparent me?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

grimcreaper posted:

Are you attempting to misgenderparent me?

No, yes, uh, um

Maybe. Maybe I am. Whatchoo gonna do about it

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I tried to read /r/dereksmart, but all I could figure out is that it's a bunch of posters talking about meta Reddit stuff. I guess that's fun to them?

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Wanting to stack boxes for a living in a game is retarded but escapism and an emphasis on ambience and immersion aren't absolute game design evils. As a kid I had a lumberjack/miner/blacksmith/carpenter character in Ultima Online but it wasn't something I did to feel appreciated it was just another way to interact with and do stuff in the world.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

:vince:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

No, yes, uh, um

Maybe. Maybe I am. Whatchoo gonna do about it

Im gonna make you play vanilla starbound for 500 hours.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

On the other hand, what if you go into an icecream parlour, order a single scoop Butter Pecan cone, and an hour later get served a chocolate knickerbocker glory, but then you notice the glass is cracked and dirty, and when you bite into it you discover the chocolate icecream is actually lumps of horse manure, the cream is cum, and when you take a bite anyway you T-pose and clip through the floor?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Im gonna make you play vanilla starbound for 500 hours.

I volunteer. Someone gift it to me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hobold posted:

I volunteer. Someone gift it to me.

Who do you think you are, Chris Roberts?

Remember when he complained people weren't sending in enough free gifts

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sappo569 posted:

Say what?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This guy and his "You're dismissed" catchphrase is hilarious. Most people when they lose an argument just vanish but not the gremlich! He has to dismiss your rear end while running into the sunset with his tail between his legs.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I tried to read /r/dereksmart, but all I could figure out is that it's a bunch of posters talking about meta Reddit stuff. I guess that's fun to them?

Eh, more fun than playing SC.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 22, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Surface Detail's still a wanted goon after all these years, but every so often a mysterious stranger pops into the thread and the cycle begins anew.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

Maybe I do.

Also when the hell did that happen?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Sleep Exploit

Steps to reproduce

1) Enter any gamemode where you can move around and use emotes on foot.
2) Activate sleep emote
3) Continue to use the sleep emote every time the character is laying down
4) Move to cancel the animation

Actual result

Allows you to go through walls and hover in mid air.

Expected result

The emote should not move the physical model of the player when using an emote over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMuUES0f57Q

quote:

There are hundreds of these in the Issue Council. You can clip through practically anywhere if you know how. Still hoping CIG will have some systematic way of preventing this.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 22, 2017

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Could someone explain how all this no-clip is possible?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

no_recall posted:

Star Citizen is the land of dreams if you can dream it you can do it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

no_recall posted:

Client: I'm at x
Server: okay you're at x
Client: I'm at x+1
Server: don't bother me I'm busy calculating fidelity!
Client: I'm at x+2
Server: wait there's a wall at x+1 oh gently caress it never mind you're at x+2

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What's b'tak been up to lately? His concern posts were always good.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

no_recall posted:

IIRC, its due to CIG taking Cry-engines standard 8km by 8km map (or whatever it is) and expanding it to bajillionkm by bajillion km. Something, something, now the hit/walking detection is based on checking an absurdly large number.

I am not a game developer.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

The stupid idiots at CIG have made it so that some of the canned emote animations move the center of the character when they are activated, and they don't take into account obstacles or the like, unlike regular movement. Combine this with the server trusting the client about its position and this is would be the expected behavior in any game.

In normal non-stupid games, if you interrupt a dancing or whatever animation your character is snapped back into its original position (or the client/server checks that you do not move into an improper location in the first place) but star citizen cannot have such unfidelitious stuff in there.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 22, 2017

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Checking for collision during an emote is not the path to maximum fidelity.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

BeigeJacket posted:

IIRC, its due to CIG taking Cry-engines standard 8km by 8km map (or whatever it is) and expanding it to bajillionkm by bajillion km. Something, something, now the hit/walking detection is based on checking an absurdly large number.

I am not a game developer.

Basically the numbers are too small to be calculated properly?

Lol.

e:

no_recall fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 22, 2017

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

trucutru posted:

The stupid idiots at CIG have made it so that some of the canned emote animations move the center of the character when they are activated, and they don't take into account obstacles or the like, unlike regular movement. Combine this with the server trusting the client about its position and this is would be the expected behavior in any game.

In normal non-stupid games, if you interrupt a dancing or whatever animation your character is snapped back into its original position (or the client/server checks that you do not move into an improper location in the first place) but star citizen cannot have such unfidelitious stuff in there.

Those fidelitious animations, climbing ladders, getting out of bed etc. all require the model to be able to change location. Were they just implemented as a type of emote internally, and therefore all emotes had snapback disabled?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

This post didn't get the love it deserved. If Chris is still kicking stuff back down the stairs in 2017 the money situation couldn't be too dire. Then again he appears to have a project management style that requires complete disconnection from reality.
[/quote]

This plus Amazon's unusual interest in the company plus the funding tracker- is Jeff Bezos personally keeping this thing alive with 40 grand a day out of his own kick? I'm starting to get that impression :allears:

I remember one of the rumors was that there was one wealthy individual essentially keeping the project alive, it would make sense to be a captain of industry type who can't bother looking too closely at all his wheelings and dealings but can afford to consistently throw a lot of money at the project. :pray:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

phosdex posted:

What's b'tak been up to lately? His concern posts were always good.

The shutdown of their forum and our rise as the 2nd biggest SC community dried a big source for our diggers.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

tooterfish posted:

This except it's all on the client funny enough.

thatguy posted:

"Real quick, Star Citizen is:

Less Than Ideal (LTI)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

no_recall posted:

The game can't calculate small distances accurately. If your character has the ability to move and walls aren't miles thick you will be able to no-clip in Star Citizen. You've been able to no-clip by walking, running, crouching, going prone, jumping, doing any emote (not including the ones that just break the game), and being pushed by another character. This is why in literally all of :pgabz: videos he's running around in space naked. I mean he could have just walked outside like that because doors still don't work but you can phase through walls and floors just as easily.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI0mKmeuWgI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Client: I'm at x.84474387696293799156
Client: Character moves to x+0.092190622027
Client: my god, it's full of fidelity! Let's round some floating-points
Client: wait there's a wall at x.84474387696293799277 you can't be there oh gently caress it you're at x.84474387696293799777 now

Server: Sounds good, Heres a list of all the characters on the map :downs:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 22, 2017