Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

Well, uhh... they both have anger management issues I guess?

I don't think there is. It doesn't really matter anyway, since you have infinite oxygen. Presumably this was originally going to be a sort of hazardous area that you could fix from life support, or something, but then they removed oxygen limitations from the game. Thank god for that. Exploring outside the station would have been hellish.

It does feel like something was cut there seeing as in some areas there are a bunch of O2 bottles sitting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Well, uhh... they both have anger management issues I guess?
Far more likely that at one point there was a crew directory that went Lastname, Firstname or Lastname, Truncated Firstname as a little easter egg without much thematic connection.

muscles like this! posted:

It does feel like something was cut there seeing as in some areas there are a bunch of O2 bottles sitting around.
They explode nicely when you throw them though!

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Woah, I didn't realise Benedict Wong played Alex. Dr. Franklin Fu has doomed us all.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

limited posted:

Might be reaching a bit, but don't a lot of Asian languages tend to write names surname-forename?

Not sure if I'm going to do a Typhon playthrough yet though, I've got my fingers crossed they do something to make the hacking minigame less tedious. It'll be boring as poo poo so much fun hacking all the turrets. :barf:

eh just GLOO the turrets, they aren't usually a big deal. Typhon powers are awesome, especially fully upgraded phantom genesis. I don't even need to fight enemies any more, now that I can make trusty phantom buddies!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SHODANielle would be a good username.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

There were like 2 points in the entire game where I had to deal with turrets attacking me on a typhon power-heavy playthrough, which were trivialized by a wide variety of typhon powers such as machine mind. The vast, vast majority of the ones you find are either undeployed or already broken.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anti-Hero posted:

Ending chat The ending twist was pretty well done. It's telegraphed, but not heavily so. If you pay attention it's not like it comes out of the blue or anything.

I didn't see it coming at all to be honest

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I unfortunately predicted the ending about an hour in to the game. There's a whole lot of frontloaded story threads and dialog that spoiled it:

1) There are several flashbacks throughout the game where you hear/see a memory that very explicitly belongs to a Typhon about being in a lab, being studied by scientists who are trying to see if it can feel Empathy. The first one is as early as G.U.T.S. right when you touch Coral for the first time, which was one of the very first places I went. That immediately spoiled it for me since I wouldn't be seeing the memories of the Typhon unless I was the Typhon, they were completely ignored by January or anyone else who was talking to me so I knew the game was trying to draw focus away from it, meaning it was a big plot twist reveal. Also this all happened after the game told me that using Typhon neuromods would turn me into the Typhon, and I hadn't actually used any when the flashbacks started.

2) You're repeatedly told about how the Typhon can't feel empathy, and at least once early on it's trailed by something to the effect of "unless... well, maybe..." - the game then goes on to shove tons of obvious moral choices in your face and none of them have a single iota of impact on the gameplay (this is a great thing) but it was easy enough to put two and two together and realize that the entire thing was a big simulation to test Empathy. There are even NPCs that pretty much explicitly tell you that you're being tested on this; someone in Cargo Bay says "The only thing that matters is the way you treat the ones who are still alive." and they say it in a weirdly inflected/intense way, like they're whispering you hints about the test you're taking. NPCs allude to the fact that you have a moral obligation to 'go down with the ship' and not escape, which was clearly the biggest empathy test of all.

3) Everything about removal of a Neuromod erasing memories from the point it was installed was mentioned enough to foreshadow the fact that I was still in a simulation, it wouldn't be outlined so heavily if it there wasn't a story-important reason for me to lose all memory of what I was doing later.

I only spoiled myself on one thing before playing which shouldn't have had this effect, but it did. I knew there was a twist of some kind coming which made me maybe look at this stuff in a way I wouldn't have otherwise.

I beat the game today and really do think it was one of the best games I've played in a while, despite having a lot of problems that I wouldn't have put up with in other games. I like to take a critical look at the games I like so here's some really blunt feelings I had about Prey: the combat was boring throughout, there were shockingly few weapons and they were mostly uninteresting or felt bad to use (I'm looking at you Q-beam), the Typhon are cool thematically but make incredibly boring videogame enemies, their visual designs are unexciting and the AI is so bad that I stopped feeling tension or apprehension while exploring after the first ~hour, the story was predictable and I couldn't shake the feeling that a whole lot of content was cut or missing. Despite the length it felt like I only played the first 1/2 of a game and all of the big, bad, cool late-game enemies/weapons/powers were still just around the corner.

That being said, the environments and level design were so good that they kept me going, there was an unending amount of interesting places to explore and very clever ways to get around, and I cannot understate how much I appreciated that the game didn't handhold me or railroad me in to following any specific paths that the developers intended. In games like this I usually eschew exploring because it's not very exciting to me to comb over rooms for the one or two pieces of loot a developer hid for you and bounce around between quest waypoints instead, but I took a much more sandbox-y style approach to Prey and spent a lot of time wandering aimlessly seeing what I could find. Instead of finding a cache with some bullets or food I would find pathways into places I wasn't supposed to be otherwise, I'd keep getting sidetracked and suddenly realize I was on the complete opposite side of the space station from where I intended to be originally.

It was just a neat immersive, breathing world and it was a pleasure to explore and dick around in. It's almost like an entire game developed around the core philosophy of emergent gameplay and I appreciate it a whole lot for that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I gotta say I'm also disappointed with the lack of security weapons. I like the justification that they've got to be subsonic so that they don't poke holes in the station but I also would have preferred a couple more. Maybe an automatic weapon of some kind.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Maybe a rivet gun of some kind.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Some sort of long range disk shooting gun with a conscience.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I meant like, actual real guns, but I'll take more science tools too I guess. Really just make this game into Dead Space.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

I meant like, actual real guns, but I'll take more science tools too I guess. Really just make this game into Dead Space.

I agree. I get that it's largely a civilian station and the Shotgun is all they'll likely need for theoretical rioting/serious crime, but it definitely needs something between Shotgun and Q-Beam like a submachine gun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

deep dish peat moss posted:

SHODANielle would be a good username.

It's what shodan's mom calls her when she really hosed up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the game. I was kind of confused by Alex still being alive in the stinger, since AFAICT he was totally unconscious while the Talos was blowing up at the end. I guess it's not meant to be exactly what happened, though.

Is there anything deeper to the "January wants to destroy Talos, December/old Morgan wants to keep it" thing or is it just that the constant neuromod installation and removal hosed Morgan up a bunch?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Kurzon posted:

Operator dispensers have a limit of 3 operators before shutting down. Does this value replenish over time?

Is there a limit to how many uses you get from each operator? I went to the trauma center one a lot of times and then it was gone and I had to get a new one. Not sure if something killed it. There's a fire in there I never bothered to put out.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just replaying it, got slightly obsessed with recycler grenades. It's a shame we can't pickup Typhon remains and stack them all up, to recycle a bunch at once.

snoremac posted:

Is there a limit to how many uses you get from each operator? I went to the trauma center one a lot of times and then it was gone and I had to get a new one. Not sure if something killed it. There's a fire in there I never bothered to put out.

I don't think there is a limit, no.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pollyanna posted:

Finished the game. I was kind of confused by Alex still being alive in the stinger, since AFAICT he was totally unconscious while the Talos was blowing up at the end. I guess it's not meant to be exactly what happened, though.

Is there anything deeper to the "January wants to destroy Talos, December/old Morgan wants to keep it" thing or is it just that the constant neuromod installation and removal hosed Morgan up a bunch?

Basically, Morgan was pretty messed up by all the memory resets and each time his/her memory reset he came up with a different failsafe for what to do if things went bananas. One time he decided to blow up the station, one time he decided to escape, one time he came up with the giant nullwave. January is just the operator he made while in his "nuke the station" phase. All the operators are "old Morgan" the question is which Old Morgan do you want to be?.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

The javelin gun from Dead Space 2 should be put in all games.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mzbundifund posted:

Basically, Morgan was pretty messed up by all the memory resets and each time his/her memory reset he came up with a different failsafe for what to do if things went bananas. One time he decided to blow up the station, one time he decided to escape, one time he came up with the giant nullwave. January is just the operator he made while in his "nuke the station" phase. All the operators are "old Morgan" the question is which Old Morgan do you want to be?.

The one that came up with the nullwave was the original Morgan wasn't it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

The one that came up with the nullwave was the original Morgan wasn't it?

Oldest Morgan, yes. In October he began the tests, and left a note about how a giant Nullwave should be able to fix any problems. In December he started getting worried about whether they'd let him out of the simulation next time and came up with an escape plan. By January he was starting to freak out about the Typhon and came up with plan: everything explodes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
This came from Reddit/earlier, but I still can't get over it.

Danielle Sho!

Asian names go surname first.

Sho, Danielle.

Shodanielle.

Shodan.

What a loving good Easter Egg, christ.

( This doesn't factor into the plot at all, it's just an Easter Egg. )

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

.... Danielle isn't an Asian name though

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

deep dish peat moss posted:

I unfortunately predicted the ending about an hour in to the game. There's a whole lot of frontloaded story threads and dialog that spoiled it:

1) There are several flashbacks throughout the game where you hear/see a memory that very explicitly belongs to a Typhon about being in a lab, being studied by scientists who are trying to see if it can feel Empathy. The first one is as early as G.U.T.S. right when you touch Coral for the first time, which was one of the very first places I went. That immediately spoiled it for me since I wouldn't be seeing the memories of the Typhon unless I was the Typhon, they were completely ignored by January or anyone else who was talking to me so I knew the game was trying to draw focus away from it, meaning it was a big plot twist reveal. Also this all happened after the game told me that using Typhon neuromods would turn me into the Typhon, and I hadn't actually used any when the flashbacks started.

2) You're repeatedly told about how the Typhon can't feel empathy, and at least once early on it's trailed by something to the effect of "unless... well, maybe..." - the game then goes on to shove tons of obvious moral choices in your face and none of them have a single iota of impact on the gameplay (this is a great thing) but it was easy enough to put two and two together and realize that the entire thing was a big simulation to test Empathy. There are even NPCs that pretty much explicitly tell you that you're being tested on this; someone in Cargo Bay says "The only thing that matters is the way you treat the ones who are still alive." and they say it in a weirdly inflected/intense way, like they're whispering you hints about the test you're taking. NPCs allude to the fact that you have a moral obligation to 'go down with the ship' and not escape, which was clearly the biggest empathy test of all.

3) Everything about removal of a Neuromod erasing memories from the point it was installed was mentioned enough to foreshadow the fact that I was still in a simulation, it wouldn't be outlined so heavily if it there wasn't a story-important reason for me to lose all memory of what I was doing later.

I only spoiled myself on one thing before playing which shouldn't have had this effect, but it did. I knew there was a twist of some kind coming which made me maybe look at this stuff in a way I wouldn't have otherwise.

I beat the game today and really do think it was one of the best games I've played in a while, despite having a lot of problems that I wouldn't have put up with in other games. I like to take a critical look at the games I like so here's some really blunt feelings I had about Prey: the combat was boring throughout, there were shockingly few weapons and they were mostly uninteresting or felt bad to use (I'm looking at you Q-beam), the Typhon are cool thematically but make incredibly boring videogame enemies, their visual designs are unexciting and the AI is so bad that I stopped feeling tension or apprehension while exploring after the first ~hour, the story was predictable and I couldn't shake the feeling that a whole lot of content was cut or missing. Despite the length it felt like I only played the first 1/2 of a game and all of the big, bad, cool late-game enemies/weapons/powers were still just around the corner.

That being said, the environments and level design were so good that they kept me going, there was an unending amount of interesting places to explore and very clever ways to get around, and I cannot understate how much I appreciated that the game didn't handhold me or railroad me in to following any specific paths that the developers intended. In games like this I usually eschew exploring because it's not very exciting to me to comb over rooms for the one or two pieces of loot a developer hid for you and bounce around between quest waypoints instead, but I took a much more sandbox-y style approach to Prey and spent a lot of time wandering aimlessly seeing what I could find. Instead of finding a cache with some bullets or food I would find pathways into places I wasn't supposed to be otherwise, I'd keep getting sidetracked and suddenly realize I was on the complete opposite side of the space station from where I intended to be originally.

It was just a neat immersive, breathing world and it was a pleasure to explore and dick around in. It's almost like an entire game developed around the core philosophy of emergent gameplay and I appreciate it a whole lot for that.

Yeah I'm with you regarding predicting the ending.

There's a audiolog in psychotronics, really early on, that pretty much lays out the plan to map a human brain onto a typhoid and then run it through a simulation, conversation is WAAAAAY too important to ignore so it just telegraphs the ending and after that, every single clue that's meant to be more subtle you see later just works to confirm it... probably would have worked out better if they stuck that audiolog somewhere in the last 10 minutes or so of the game. That would have been much more interesting, kind of like the revelation that the resurrection machines and all the stuff in Rapture only work with Andrew Ryan's DNA being revealed a couple of minutes before you get to the big twist

I thought it was a fun game but it just didn't click completely for me, not entirely sure why that was. Though I think it had some serious pacing issues towards the end. I was playing on a PS4 as well, might be better on a souped up PC but the constant switching between decks during the final act meant sitting through loading screen after loading screen, really took the fun out of it.

Not as good as System Shock 2 but it's definitely the closest any game has ever come and some good new ideas in there definitely as well.

The Neal! fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 22, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Neal! posted:

There's a audiolog in psychotronics, really early on, that pretty much lays out the plan to map a human brain onto a typhoid and then run it through a simulation, conversation is WAAAAAY too important to ignore so it just telegraphs the ending and after that, every single clue that's meant to be more subtle you see later just works to confirm it... probably would have worked out better if they stuck that audiolog somewhere in the last 10 minutes or so of the game. That would have been much more interesting, kind of like the revelation that the resurrection machines and all the stuff in Rapture only work with Andrew Ryan's DNA being revealed a couple of minutes before you get to the big twist

I thought it was a fun game. Though I think it had some serious pacing issues towards the end. I was playing on a PS4 as well, might be better on a souped up PC but the constant switching between decks during the final act meant sitting through loading screen after loading screen really took the fun out of it.

Not as good as System Shock 2 but it's definitely the closest any game has ever come and some good new ideas in there definitely as well.

That audiolog has seriously made the story a lot worse just because it spoiled everything really early.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

scanning your own decoy is the best thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shrike82 posted:

.... Danielle isn't an Asian name though

A lot of Chinese residents of Hong Kong have English first names due to the UK owning Hong Kong from the mid 1800's up until 1997 :eng101:. It's not impossible her parents are from there.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Am I the only one who thought the weapons were absolutely fine, and if anything the Q-beam could've been removed and nothing of value would've been lost?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Mymla posted:

Am I the only one who thought the weapons were absolutely fine, and if anything the Q-beam could've been removed and nothing of value would've been lost?

I could have used maybe one more mad science weapon and don't you dare say that about my Q Beam

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mymla posted:

Bustin' Phantoms and Poltergeists makes me feel good, and your opinion is wrong :colbert:.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dogen posted:

I could have used maybe one more mad science weapon and don't you dare say that about my Q Beam

The q-beam was mad-ish science. It had a budget and development labs and everything. I would have liked a weapon cooked up out of desperation and spare parts by the cutting-edge scientists aboard the station.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
An upgraded melee weapon from Typhon tech like the crystal shard in SS2 would have been nice. Or a power fist or something. One thing that made SS2 so fun was the sheer number of weapons, three different skills with completely different weapon selections plus psionics.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Digirat posted:

scanning your own decoy is the best thing.

Lol, the Resistance entry is where I lost it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bustin' Phantoms and Poltergeists makes me feel good, and your opinion is wrong :colbert:.

Only thing that would have made the Q-Beam better is if it did the same type of beam like a Proton Pack

The Lone Badger posted:

I would have liked a weapon cooked up out of desperation and spare parts by the cutting-edge scientists aboard the station.

This would have been cool too.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The Neal! posted:

I didn't notice that audiolog, but I spoiled the game in the arboretum by trying to leave the station in Alex's escape pod. It actually plays a cutscene where Alex shuts the simulation down.

I didn't think the story was bad but I think that Metal Gear Solid 2 did the same story a lot better. Prey didn't have any initial hook like "Escape the rogue murder-AI" or "Stop the fat rollerskating man from blowing up the oil rig" to keep me interested . The intro was really good, especially since I never watched anything about the game beforehand and wasn't expecting it to watch a simulation get overrun by weird blob aliens. But once Morgan gets out of the simulation room and the story turned into people telling Morgan to do random things until he finds out what's going on, I started to lose interest.

I was also a bit disappointed, with all the references to the looking glass technology and the crazy phantoms, that the *real* story wasn't that the looking glass machines were somehow trapping people inside an evil hologram mirror universe

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

When it comes to foreseening the ending: for me it was the cameras following you around as early as just after breaking out of the simulation at the beginning.

There's this huge station-wide emergency but somebody's holed up somewhere still obsessively following my every movement? Right, so it's just another test.

Sure it could be that the cameras follow movement automatically but they don't follow the typhon of other npcs...only Y(o)u. Sure that could be Alex following my every move but then he would be able to immediately intercept situations unfavorable to him like watching that tape recording in Yu's office instead of conveniently waiting until juuuust enough is shown for Yu to be pushed in a new direction.

So yeah, those cameras weren't a 100% sure give-away because there might have been a different explaination down the road and they also didn't give away that you're a typhon organism but they made me question the narration and suspect being in another test pretty much from the start.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
When did good foreshadowing become bad storytelling? Twists out of nowhere in the last 15 minutes are bad, hth.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

People are saying that the twist was spelled out, not foreshadowed and if you're refering to my post then I didn't write that it's a bad thing, hth.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I bought this game for ps4 on Saturday and have been digging it - seems a little buggy at times though

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dogen posted:

A powered up potato gun as a sort of rocket/grenade launcher? Molotov cocktails? IEDs of some sort?

I like how the game avoids having the typical FPS weapon line up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game could've used a Fire and/or Electricity based weapons of some sort, I think.
There are already a bunch of interactions between stuff and flame/lightning typhoons. Could've done the same with guns.