Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

all peoples personal information is private and should stay that way until their private information is "cell 340 at parsons county jail"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

fair point, it was a bad example, i was just using it for the more general point that it's pretty hard to put into legislation that the daily mail's campaign against the killers of stephen lawrence is cool and good and the daily mail's endless "LOOK AT THIS MINOR CELEBRITY LOOKING A BIT GLUM" pap shots are not.

i'm trying and failing to think of a reason why someone's full address being printed in a news story is ever necessary or in any way enhances the story being told. i can understand saying "on sunday, john fuckman, 42, of shitoldshire was found guilty of molesting pheasants in the third degree" but not "on sunday, john fuckman, 42, of 18 bleakfuture street, shitoldshire, was found guilty of molesting pheasants in the third degree, if you'd like to get in touch with him, his phone number is 020 5687 5637 and his email is feasantfukkr1975@aol.com". anything more than the former is just encouraging vigilantism.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Uou forgot the b&w photo of his council house in your article. How can I be sure I have the right house?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The real winner is when they report so well they inspire their readers to do vigilante justice on anybody who seems like a paedo, even a paediatrician.

quote:

Dr Cloete is the latest victim to have been wrongly identified by anti-paedophile campaigners in the wave of protests which have swept the country following the News of the World's campaign to "name and shame" alleged sex offenders.

Five families who were wrongly identified as harbouring sex offenders were forced to flee their homes in the Paulsgrove estate in Portsmouth as violence flared earlier this month.

The Sunday tabloid wants the government to introduce a law allowing people access to information on the identities and addresses of paedophiles in their areas.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
There are 5 men who own and control over 80% of the press in the UK, including the tabloids.

I don't know how that compares to the American press, but in the context of the UK, it's all poo poo run by lovely old men selling lovely views to help make lovely people.

edit: And on the other side of things, Parliament can stick it's nose in things and declare things illegal to print. British journalism is utter poo poo.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Greatbacon posted:

edit: And on the other side of things, Parliament can stick it's nose in things and declare things illegal to print. British journalism is utter poo poo.

back to the topic of sec fuckups: twitter has kinda helped to obsolete this in the last few years, but for how long? https://www.rt.com/uk/388987-theresa-may-surveillance-internet/
https://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2017/05/tory-manifesto-2017/

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Byolante posted:

The real winner is when they report so well they inspire their readers to do vigilante justice on anybody who seems like a paedo, even a paediatrician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCywGhHQMEw

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Greatbacon posted:

I don't know how that compares to the American press
everything is basically a blog & no one knows what the gently caress

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

it's interesting how the US doesn't have that problem despite the fact that the US has iirc some of the strongest speech protection laws anywhere

of course that leads to a whole host of other problems but that's even less ontopic for secthread, so have an article about a patched xss in verizon's sms app thingy

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hey you know that old white ghoul who controls a large chunk of the news media in your country? he somehow controls a large chunk of the news media in my country too!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

And yet this is the British way I suppose

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

We've just been chasing an SSL certificate order with comodo for one of our clients and we've been told that they've lost all order data prior to May 12th and have told us to re-buy anything we ordered and request a refund for the old orders. They apparently have no record of any orders made between the 3rd and 11th.

Humz... data loss on the 12th of May..... I wonder....

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

just saw it going around

:thejoke:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Byolante posted:

The phone hacking affair also sent Louise Mensch to the US where she somehow became a democrat darling then had a psychotic break about Russian spies

i mean, we're not exactly upset at losing her

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Chalks posted:

We've just been chasing an SSL certificate order with comodo for one of our clients and we've been told that they've lost all order data prior to May 12th and have told us to re-buy anything we ordered and request a refund for the old orders. They apparently have no record of any orders made between the 3rd and 11th.

Humz... data loss on the 12th of May..... I wonder....

They claim it was an "unprecedented database corruption event" but how the hell it sat for so long and why they weren't able to restore within a day of the failure is a mystery to me

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

They claim it was an "unprecedented database corruption event" but how the hell it sat for so long and why they weren't able to restore within a day of the failure is a mystery to me
I'll take "You try to restore the DB from backups and it turns out the backups were bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" for $100, Alex

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bhodi posted:

I'll take "You try to restore the DB from backups and it turns out the backups were bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" for $100, Alex

not that i'm speaking from experience, but i'd also accept having a sequence somewhere in the database set to integer, running it on a 32bit system and not noticing when it overflows

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Bhodi posted:

duz posted:

not that i'm speaking from experience, but i'd also accept having a sequence somewhere in the database set to integer, running it on a 32bit system and not noticing when it overflows

why not both

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I suppose getting wannacry'd would have been too funny.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Chalks posted:

I suppose getting wannacry'd would have been too funny.

to be fair, wannacry on a server could be classified as an "unprecedented database corruption event"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/866780899966373892

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i'm the 100% safe secure shopping

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ill be the automatic credit card filling

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
coindesk, a bitcoin group, are putting on some kind of conf, spot the payment option missing http://www.coindesk.com/events/consensus-2018/register/

also no https in 2017 for a site expecting cc details, lol

edit: beaten but lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im staying at a HOTELNAME with hotelname wifi password

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
To be clear, is that their corporate network or the public one?

I can't see the sec gently caress if it's public since they're going to be putting the details on to a little display card anyway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias posted:

To be clear, is that their Corp network or the public one?

I can't see the sec gently caress if it's public since they're going to be putting the details on to a little display card anyway.

that is their public (i.e. customer) network, and they do not put the details on a display card

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

in which hacker news reads a medium blog titled "web developer securit checklist"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that is their public (i.e. customer) network, and they do not put the details on a display card

Good job cracking the code then, columbo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Good job cracking the code then, columbo

im staying at the hotel as a customer, they told me it at the reception :thejoke: 8 lowercase latin symbols is a bad wifi password, and i dont care what whom or why

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im staying at the hotel as a customer, they told me it at the reception :thejoke: 8 lowercase latin symbols is a bad wifi password, and i dont care what whom or why

what's your threat model here?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Who stays at hotels anymore and doesn't just have a $10 portable wireless AP they plug into the ethernet jack?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

bobfather posted:

Who stays at hotels anymore and doesn't just have a $10 portable wireless AP they plug into the ethernet jack?

any hotel that has been recently renovated has probably dropped the ethernet jacks because wireless is easier, cheaper, and "good enough"

that being said i have one of those and you can use it to connect to wifi and rebroadcast your own ssid which is cool and good

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

bobfather posted:

WAPs are layer 2 and presumably the hotel Ethernet and wifi are in the same subnet so you're doing nothing but wasting electricity here

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jabor posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

someone else in the building loving around as its not the only premise here? idk, no real thread model, just being grumpy about bad password in thread inteded to laugh about bad passwords :shrug:

bobfather posted:

no ethernet jack

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i guess let me post about bicycles or public transport or mac and cheese burger buns if bad password chat is suddenly so controversial

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
how would a better password help if anyone can find it out just by asking at reception?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

minivanmegafun posted:

WAPs are layer 2 and presumably the hotel Ethernet and wifi are in the same subnet so you're doing nothing but wasting electricity here

something a bit more sophisticated and you could easier vpn your portable devices i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

how would a better password help if anyone can find it out just by asking at reception?
anyone who has taken a room, jesus

• Locked thread