Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

mathilda joins with like 7 levels on clive.

1, if you promote him at 7. He's a level 6 Cav, she's a level 1 Paladin. And he has a 30% growth which means he'll maybe probably proc it once before promotion.

And she has a better def growth so she'll win there long term.

She also has like 6 more skill and speed and better overall growths, but Clive really has nothing going for him over her. He beats her in HP growth, which is pointless considering how much it goes up on promotion. And she kicks his rear end everywhere else by like 10-20%.

Like they're only remotely balanced against each other if you grind him out a bunch of levels before promotion. Otherwise he'll always be the poo poo cav.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Let's talk about the best Est in a game that has Est

Delthea as a base mage is better than most of my regular mages and saints

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

WHY DOES THIS WITCH CONJURE WITCHES

gently caress

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

So strategy question... I'm on the Desert Stronghold and uh... not doing well. Is there a smart way around Archer Hell? Yeah I can have them plink of Valbar for days, but that doesn't draw them out of their hidey hole, and if I send anyone else out there they will get murdered. Anybody got a tip? Something I'm missing?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver Falcon posted:

So strategy question... I'm on the Desert Stronghold and uh... not doing well. Is there a smart way around Archer Hell? Yeah I can have them plink of Valbar for days, but that doesn't draw them out of their hidey hole, and if I send anyone else out there they will get murdered. Anybody got a tip? Something I'm missing?

Have Genny summon dudes.

Its the solution to most of life's problems. Archers will prioritize the summons over your dudes most of the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, learn to love invoke soldiers.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Act 2 is Fire Emblem: Boats

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone complaining about boats did not play far into the game because holy poo poo Celica's later maps are a poo poo show.

edit: Should Delthea be the exception like Alm and Celica to wait until 20, because she's been getting 3+ stats minimum every time.

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 22, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm still mad at myself for picking Deen over Sonya, but I don't know if I'm mad at myself enough to give up three days of game progress.

:sigh: Sorry Genny, I guess you'll have to wait for a replay for a support.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm still mad at myself for picking Deen over Sonya, but I don't know if I'm mad at myself enough to give up three days of game progress.

:sigh: Sorry Genny, I guess you'll have to wait for a replay for a support.

If it helps the support is mediocre and give basically no mechanical bonus.

quote:

edit: Should Delthea be the exception like Alm and Celica to wait until 20, because she's been getting 3+ stats minimum every time.

Maybe if you want to do heavy postgame stuff. Promote her right away and she won't be anywhere near cap by the end of the game.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 22, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So unfortunately I just realized that by promoting Silque before level 18 I missed out on her ability to summon dread fighters.

I'm assuming my choice is either to just use the villager fork (not out yet, also no), or just suffer on, yes? Because I've seen no indication that she'll ever learn it as a saint.

Same with Boey's ragnarok, though honestly Boey's so poo poo I just use him and Nomah as (terrible, 1 range) staffbots.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Same with Boey's ragnarok, though honestly Boey's so poo poo I just use him and Nomah as (terrible, 1 range) staffbots.

Boey is great at not being good enough to kill enemies so I can level my other units easier

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
My Boey managed to get enough speed to be in that sweet spot where he can double other mages/archers/knights and his def up enough to avoid 2hkos. That coupled with 20 Mag means he can nuke/heal or set up kills for people.

And since he's a mage with a 3 range spell using him as artillery is never a bad idea. Especially with the +10 to hit sages get and +10 his Mae support gives him.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I wish the game told me I just needed one forge to evolve weapons from like iron to steel, because forging higher just all goes to waste once you change the weapon.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
alm's army is so loving bad lmao

kliff and tobin are getting doubled and killed by literally everything, on normal, on maps with zero ways to protect them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of forging, are there any especially good weapon evolves I should be going for?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Speaking of forging, are there any especially good weapon evolves I should be going for?

Shadow swords are easy brave swords. Golden dagger into beloved zofia.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

Celica's personal weapon is good, but honestly she doesn't need it. It comes with some nice skills and evolves from her dagger though.

The shadow blade(a devil weapon) only costs 50 silver to turn into a Brave Sword (which is basically a Killing Edge)

Javelin can be upgraded into a powerful 2/3 range weapon which can be interesting.

You can also turn a steel bow into a longbow if you want 2-6 range archers.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

ungulateman posted:

alm's army is so loving bad lmao

kliff and tobin are getting doubled and killed by literally everything, on normal, on maps with zero ways to protect them

This is why you make them all Mercs.

Also I gave Boey the 3 Spd boosts at the start and he performed pretty well. Maybe those could've gone to Mae or Celica but eh, having an extra good mage doesn't hurt.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

This is why you make them all Mercs.

Yeah, Grey and Tobin are going merc every time from now on. The base stat boosts sre unbelievably good for making them usable, and you can always slap the Levin sword on one if he starts feeling ineffective.

You do need magic though and Selique is hilariously bad at it. Kliff/Faye really should probably be Mage/Cleric or the beginning is rough as hell.

Atlas should also be a merc because it makes him hilariously good. Cavs and Knights just have some really lovely bases compared to Mercenaries and its hard to justify either of them since the villagers need the immediate boost more.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have a powerful urge to make all the villagers archers in my second playthrough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tae posted:

Let's talk about the best Est in a game that has Est

Delthea as a base mage is better than most of my regular mages and saints

Wouldn't Est be the best Est?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i am also a big fan of finally beating the paladin reinforcements that spawned because i did celica's part of part 3 first and then having another one spawn literally immediately after every battle, and having to backtrack to the hideout every time i need to promote someone because they're loving useless until they do and i can't get to the next mila idol without fighting more paladin reinforcements in addition to the actual chapter forces

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I have a powerful urge to make all the villagers archers in my second playthrough.

Plz let us know how your Alm solo run goes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

So unfortunately I just realized that by promoting Silque before level 18 I missed out on her ability to summon dread fighters.

I'm assuming my choice is either to just use the villager fork (not out yet, also no), or just suffer on, yes? Because I've seen no indication that she'll ever learn it as a saint.

she'll learn it, and also boey'll learn it

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
guys Gray and Mae are fantastic

that is all

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god delthea learns ragnarok. And i just got a speed ring.

Alms army is plenty strong mwuahahhah

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

theshim posted:

that is all

they told me Mae was bae, but i didn't believe, what a fool i was

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

theshim posted:

that is all

You're right.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Remove moe-tooth.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Remove moe-tooth.

counterpoint: dont

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Man, I just killed the bandit king guy in Celica's part of Chapter 3 with Dread Fighter Sabre, and watching two ninjas going at it was enough to make me not skip the fight scenes like I normally do. The animation on these guys is so smooth!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

counterpoint: dont

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vernatio posted:

Man, I just killed the bandit king guy in Celica's part of Chapter 3 with Dread Fighter Sabre, and watching two ninjas going at it was enough to make me not skip the fight scenes like I normally do. The animation on these guys is so smooth!

I love the anime pose for a crit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the animations are really well-done but my favorite is the Stone Knight guys will kick you

Also like how the Knights will use thier shield to just slam into people, I'm glad they're doing poo poo like this more often now

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the fang is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite animation is how some units dodge and counter in one smooth motion.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

my favorite animation is how some units dodge and counter in one smooth motion.

The dodges might be the best animation in the game. They're super smooth.

Also, wow. The Nuibaba map took a very long time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She kidnapped all the Peddlers!!! I thought they were just supposed to appear later in Alm's route or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I love all the cocky lines people have for dodging, and that they also say them upon taking 1 damage, regardless of whether it's 'exactly 1 damage' or 'rounded up to 1 damage'. I guess that's where all the money they didn't spend on recording decent crit lines / doing proper crit splashes went.

Same with misses, because with 1 RN and 20-60 avoid terrain everywhere, everybody is missing all the time, so record lines for that rather than the crits they're not getting because everyone has single-digit skill.

• Locked thread