Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the eldar murder themselves because he is more beautiful than him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

It's a power sword, it disintegrated all the blood that was on it.

Whoa... this would actually happen. My mind is blown.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Not like Marines need swords to kill, they just appreciate the additional reach.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Whoa... this would actually happen. My mind is blown.

That's basically the reason I was given why I can't have a bloody powerfist.

Though I always understood power fields as weakening the target matter for the actual -sword or -fist to then cut or crush, rather than being literally lightsabers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JcDent posted:

That's basically the reason I was given why I can't have a bloody powerfist.

Though I always understood power fields as weakening the target matter for the actual -sword or -fist to then cut or crush, rather than being literally lightsabers.

Most of them are.

Eisenhorn had the literal-lightsaber variant for a while though.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm almost certain there's an Actual Lightsaber sword somewhere in the RPG books.

There's also a power sword with a faulty pattern that makes it catch fire. Since they couldn't fix it but didn't want to stop selling it, the Mechanicus added some thermal insulation and marketed it as a :krad: flaming sword :krad:

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I thought the Grey Knight's force weapons were lightsabers.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

I think there is some sort of Hobbiton/Princess Bride/Willow fairy tale charm to this but I have no clue what is actually happening.

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer

...Shrek?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Enamel-based paints: seriously, just loving why?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ilor posted:

It was probably a misguided parent buying a Testor's set

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ilor posted:

When you're starting out, you often have no clue. My first model was a knight that was already metal, so why would I paint the armor? I painted his face with Testor's Flesh and blue for a gem in his shield and called it a day.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 19, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Other than the description of where the models came from, there was no explanation. My favorite part is the cob webs on the first guy. I wonder if you could preserve that somehow

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Other than the description of where the models came from, there was no explanation. My favorite part is the cob webs on the first guy. I wonder if you could preserve that somehow

He left them outside for a few days, misunderstanding when people online told him that he needed to "weather" the models.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ilor posted:

Somewhere I have a Reaper mini painted in 01 I found it in a box while I was packing poo poo when I moved a couple months ago. It was painted with Testors enamel paint and horribly at that. Maybe I'll try and find it tomorrow when I go grab some more of my boardgames (plus dad's copy of HeroQuest he hasn't touched in probably 20 years I'm stealing that poo poo)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

berzerkmonkey posted:

He left them outside for a few days, misunderstanding when people online told him that he needed to "weather" the models.

I accept this explanation without reservation. In hind sight these are clearly WIP shots showing a process.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Ilor posted:

What's wrong with enamels? Most of the paints I've used have been Humbrol enamels and they look fine to me. Only thing that sucks is having to clean up with turps rather than water.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

What's wrong with enamels? Most of the paints I've used have been Humbrol enamels and they look fine to me. Only thing that sucks is having to clean up with turps rather than water.
:frogon:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

:magical: please post pics

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

They're waaaay too thick for miniatures and a huge pain in the rear end to remove for repaints.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

They're waaaay too thick for miniatures and a huge pain in the rear end to remove for repaints.

Enamels are supposed to be really good airbrushed though. And they are much tougher than acrylics FWIW.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Here you go. I sold all my GW stuff a while ago, but I've still got these

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'll give you the repaint stuff, but I don't agree with the thickness. They've never seemed thicker than acrylics to me, and anyway, you can thin enamels with a lacquer thinner.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

you cant suck on ur brush and leave a bit of spittle to thin the paint

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 20, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Brush sucking is super disgusting.

Also, enamel stinks to high hell.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Reposting this guy I painted in the early 90's.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
He looks so happy. I am digging Happyhammer 40k.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

why is he so hairy

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Fish and Chimps posted:

Reposting this guy I painted in the early 90's.

My wife says he is a happy Paul Hollywood.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sanford posted:

why is he so hairy

Because he hasn't shaved since the early 90s

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, don't get me wrong - when I was first doing plastic airplane models in like the early 1980's, I too used Testors enamels - and they were crap. And everything I painted with them looked like crap. I very quickly became discouraged, and didn't really do much more with models for years - or if I did, I'd just assemble them and leave them unpainted.

Then, some time around 1987 maybe (?), I read an article in Dragon magazine about how to paint skeletons. I've always dug skeletons, so I decided to give it a try. I went and bought a box of plastic GW skeletons and some Ral Partha acrylic paints (the article specified acrylics, very helpful). The article also talked about washing to get the mold-release off, priming with black spray primer, and using successive layers of dry-brushing to achieve a nice bone effect. It even advised how to cut the bristles of a regular brush to turn it into a suitable dry-brush. I tried it and they turned out great. From that point on, I was hooked.

But in the 30 years I've been painting since, I've often wanted to go to that hobby store guy who sold ten-year-old me a Revell model airplane and a bunch of Testors enamels and give him a good, swift kick in the dick. Seriously, they should not even be allowed to pimp you that crap unless you are a certified airbrush-pro. Otherwise, you look at all the gorgeous dioramas and whatnot in the magazines they also pimp, compare it with the blobby, shiny, unevenly painted crap (complete with obvious brush strokes) that you have produced, and think "gently caress this."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So is Testors are particularly lovely brand or ... ?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nah, they're just incredibly prolific. Their enamel metallic paints are actually really nice, and i'd totally use the ones I have for painting shiny blades and such, if enamel didn't take 17 years to fully dry and cure :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Use a tin of white household enamel and some pure pigments imo

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
more is betterer

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

As a druid or nature cleric this is what I want my summon creature I/II/III/etc. critter to be. A mossy elemental tanky melee thing., with a viking helm.

and this guy

quote:

and a random catachan for good measure

is the cohort I got from high CHA score. Free human sacrifice for a major spell? Yeah you can come adventuring with us, hop aboard level 1 adept NPC. Gonna need you sooner or later... :unsmigghh:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Witness a five year old put all our painting ideas to shame!

A mom posts on AoS Fan FB group posted:

When the local GW shop gives your 5 year old daughter a liberator
(She painted it, yes, really 😂..... and then instructed me that it needs glitter, and where to apply the glitter. She specifically requested "a golden butt" followed by some maniacal laughter)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my glittery golden rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I dunno, the way that's written it sounds like :happened:

Still, sparkle dude looks rad.