Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ratbert90 posted:

But... VLC?

Nah just use Windows Media Player or whatever the name is for the Windows 10 metro thing, unless you really need to play some weird early 2000s codec. It'll play anything modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

Nah just use Windows Media Player or whatever the name is for the Windows 10 metro thing, unless you really need to play some weird early 2000s codec. It'll play anything modern.

WMP and the Windows 10 video/movie app won't play FLVs though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I still prefer MPC or VLC to WMP, but those all have codecs built in. It's the poo poo like Sharky007's Vista Codec Pack that needs to die.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ThermoPhysical posted:

WMP and the Windows 10 video/movie app won't play FLVs though.

FLV is a container for a weird early 2000s codec, like I said. What are you even getting new FLVs from in 2017?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fishmech posted:

FLV is a container for a weird early 2000s codec, like I said. What are you even getting new FLVs from in 2017?

OBS defaults to it for DVR recordings, I think.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I prefer VLC over Windows Media Player just for the reason that it isn't primarily built to corral me into setting up a media library for it to manage.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fishmech posted:

Telling people to use the built in windows stuff is why people end up installing codec packs, because they definitely don't play everything.

VLC or MPC-HC play anything modern *and* everything old.

fishmech posted:

FLV can hold standard mpeg4 as well. It's not that weird. If someone has old flvs of some 2009 lets play or something they could re-containerize it into an mp4, or they could just leave it and use an open source player.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Last time I used Windows 10's default video application, I remember subtitles looking awful, and maybe even different audio tracks being annoying to switch between. I'll stick with MPC, but a codec pack is never coming close to being installed on my system.

It's also very possible that the default video app has changed since RTM and isn't as bad, but I'm not going to be finding that out any time soon.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some real strong stances being taken here on poo poo no one cares about.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Some real strong stances being taken here on poo poo no one cares about.

If no one cares, then why do so many have opinions?

I remember the days when VLC would butcher subtitles and present strange glitches on various fansubs, so I'm an MPC user through and through. Though I've recently become a fan of MPV...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I like Pot Player, it's customisable out the wazoo and plays drat near anything.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

MPC-HC is my player of choice but I've always got that through the CCCP which is essentially MPC-HC + LAV splitter for decoding + VSFilter for subs. Maybe I should just get MPC-HC if it's all baked in to that now?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

That was more targeted at the dummies who go download K++ every time they do a fresh Windows install

Both K-Lite & CCCP are both options on the Ninite installer. There's probably a significant portion of the users who have both packs installed.

Edit: I use PotPlayer which has everything and a not poo poo looking UI (though its icon isn't anything special).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use gstreamer 99% of the time, but my job is in embedded Linux and I am testing RTSP/RTP camera streams (gstreamer can get < 20ms latency on RTSP streams). That's why I use VLC on Windows; I don't know any better. :shrug:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There also MPC-BE which is a fork of MPC and supposedly does some things better: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm mostly looking for a good image viewer. I've been using Windows Live Photo Gallery for....however long it's been since that was new.

A Windows 10 app would be nice I guess? But something with tabs for different images would be better.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I quite like the Windows 10 Photo app for general browsing and viewing, although it doesn't have tabs. It gets brownie points over the old Photo Viewer program for actually running animated gifs, plus it does videos as well such as for when browsing your phone uploads.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I got hopefully an easy one. Somehow I moved notepad completely off the screen when i had a note open. And I have no idea how to see notepad now when I open it. :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

fartzone_42069 posted:

I got hopefully an easy one. Somehow I moved notepad completely off the screen when i had a note open. And I have no idea how to see notepad now when I open it. :(

When you're sure you're selected on the Notepad window (click it on the taskbar), hold the Windows key and press the left or right arrow a couple of times, depending on whether it might be left of your screen or right of your screen. It'll hop around and snap to the sides of the monitor.

Failing that, the traditional method of bringing back all kinds of errant windows (as long as they're not maximised, you would need to "restore" it first) is to once again, make sure the application has focus; then press Alt+Spacebar, m, any arrow key once, then move the mouse around. The title bar of the window will be locked to the mouse as if you were dragging it. Move it where you want, and just left click to release it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 22, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

SinineSiil posted:

I can't even reinstall graphics drivers without Windows reinstalling whatever version it has in the middle of it. How do I turn off the automatic driver installs? I have W10 Pro. I'd also like to disable it on my second computer to perhaps finally get audio working, but it has Home edition.

Try right clicking on "My Computer" > "Advanced System Settings" > "Hardware Tab" > "Device Installation Settings" > "gently caress Off" "No (Your device might not work as expected)"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

fartzone_42069 posted:

I'd press win+p first to check if you somehow haven't got your desktop extended to a phantom second monitor or something.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Im_Special posted:

Try right clicking on "My Computer" > "Advanced System Settings" > "Hardware Tab" > "Device Installation Settings" > "gently caress Off" "No (Your device might not work as expected)"
This doesn't do what you think it does.

The actual setting is detailed here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

xamphear posted:

This doesn't do what you think it does.

Then what does it do?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Im_Special posted:

Then what does it do?
What it now says it does.

Windows 10 launched without changing the description of that setting, so a lot of people thought it would block drivers from WU, but it didn't, and that feature didn't even exist until a year or more after the first version of Windows 10. If you read it closely now, it fairly accurately represents what it does. It controls whether or not Windows Store apps and custom image files are downloaded. That's it. Not drivers. Just stupid store apps that let you manage your printer, for example. Or a high resolution image of your actual mouse or headphones.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I had a problem that I just "fixed" (worked around) but, stuff is still probably broken I guess and I don't know what the hell could be the reason.

I was on a pretty old insider build for a while because updates would fail. Windows would get through the, I think, "preparing updates" or "configuring updates" part before it rebooted to install a new build. Then when it would reboot it would either get to the loading Windows circle thing then quickly shut down or throw me into the recovery menu. Then on the next boot it would restore my old version and boot like normal without updating.
I tried updating by just mounting an iso of a newer build and going through the setup, but that would fail. So I tried using the Windows 10 update assistant, would also fail. I figured this had something to do with my efi partition being messed up because there used to be a grub install on there. I tried many, many, many things here that would just take forever to go into.

Those last two attempts are long stories in and of themselves, but I don't think they matter much. Because eventually I decided I needed a reformat anyway so I took the 16193 iso, backed my stuff up, and from a usb drive reformatted the drive I have Windows on and the efi partition just to be sure, and reinstalled Windows.

This worked, everything seemed fine. But then I figured I'd update to 16199. So, from a fresh install on a newly formatted drive I let Windows update do its thing and then, same thing happened. Tried a couple times and the same thing every time. It would configure the update, reboot, and then fail. Tried with a different stick of ram and it was the same thing. Checked the disk for errors, and everything was fine. I got around this by letting it configure the update and then when it rebooted cutting the power to the computer before it could start up again, waiting a bit, and then booting it. I don't know how this worked but it would then get into the update, once it got to 75% it did a reboot and then failed to boot (once it started loading the computer just shut down.) When it rebooted it said it was "restoring my previous install" or whatever, but then it rebooted again and the update magically picked up. And it finished successfully and I'm now on 16199.

But, what the hell?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jan posted:

Is it actually possible to have Windows Spotlight (the randomized pictures on lock screen) without having the dumb text over it? Everything I find from searching either suggests disabling Windows Spotlight (durrr) or changing group policies which don't actually seem to achieve this.

Oh! I stumbled on something for this by accident. I have secure logon (CTRL+ALT+DEL to login) enabled at home but not at the office, and I don't have login ~tips~ at home but have them at the office. I enabled secure logon at the office since I do it by reflex anyway... No tips! :yum:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just had a pleasant surprise - I previously bought a TV series off the US store because it wasn't on the UK store, but could only stream it when I set my region to the US and restarted my computer (and then got locked out of my UK content until I switched back). I just checked again (like a year on) because I wanted to watch it again, and hey, my purchases work regardless of region. So that's quite nice!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Suddenly US input language appeared in my language thingy:

How do I get rid of it when only UK shows in the settings?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Do you own a computer that's set up with a US keyboard for some reason?

If I'm remembering right, Windows 10 is by default set up to synchronize a bunch of stuff between different computers you use the same Microsoft account on. Among the things it synchronizes are "Language Settings" which I think includes keyboard languages.

I've got the same problem. I own one computer with a Korean keyboard, so it's set up to type in Korean and English. But then my main computer only has an English keyboard, yet Windows still brings over Korean as an option.

But for me Korean shows up in the settings, so I don't know what you would do in your case. Just to make sure, you're looking for it in "Region & language" right?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

BrainDance posted:

Do you own a computer that's set up with a US keyboard for some reason?

If I'm remembering right, Windows 10 is by default set up to synchronize a bunch of stuff between different computers you use the same Microsoft account on. Among the things it synchronizes are "Language Settings" which I think includes keyboard languages.

I've got the same problem. I own one computer with a Korean keyboard, so it's set up to type in Korean and English. But then my main computer only has an English keyboard, yet Windows still brings over Korean as an option.

But for me Korean shows up in the settings, so I don't know what you would do in your case. Just to make sure, you're looking for it in "Region & language" right?

I have a laptop with UK keyboard, but I use full Estonian keyboard so two layouts. This US language appeared few days ago. And I'm looking it there indeed.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Probably a bad idea and you'd be better off taking someone else's advice who actually knows what they're talking about, but your keyboard languages should be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\User Profile in the registry. I'm sure you could disable a language from there, but I can't give myself a keyboard layout that doesn't just show up in the normal settings so who knows if it will be there for you.

For what it's worth my keyboard is en-US but it still shows up as a layout I can remove.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you remove UK English?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

BrainDance posted:

Probably a bad idea and you'd be better off taking someone else's advice who actually knows what they're talking about, but your keyboard languages should be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\User Profile in the registry. I'm sure you could disable a language from there, but I can't give myself a keyboard layout that doesn't just show up in the normal settings so who knows if it will be there for you.

For what it's worth my keyboard is en-US but it still shows up as a layout I can remove.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you remove UK English?

Seems like restart got rid of it. But.. I think it'll appear some time after startup. I'll see if that happens before doing anything.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ahh good, well then I don't know if this means anything but if it comes back I guess look into this.

I was messing around with my keyboard settings, I removed US English and installed UK English. Then I clicked on the 'English (United Kingdom)' language on the Region & language page and went into options and added a keyboard and picked a US keyboard. After I did that my Keyboard language menu looked exactly like yours.

So, maybe there was a US keyboard installed under UK English or Estonian? If it was there it wouldn't show up on the Region and Language page.

Looked like this for me

I don't know how that would happen but setting things that way at least reproduces your problem.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, do not confuse OS display languages with the keyboard layouts that can be installed for each.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

BrainDance posted:

Ahh good, well then I don't know if this means anything but if it comes back I guess look into this.

I was messing around with my keyboard settings, I removed US English and installed UK English. Then I clicked on the 'English (United Kingdom)' language on the Region & language page and went into options and added a keyboard and picked a US keyboard. After I did that my Keyboard language menu looked exactly like yours.

So, maybe there was a US keyboard installed under UK English or Estonian? If it was there it wouldn't show up on the Region and Language page.

Looked like this for me

I don't know how that would happen but setting things that way at least reproduces your problem.

Mine is set-up like this:

I didn't pick US keyboard anywhere.

Edit: Seems like launching Counter Strike Global Offensive makes US layout appear and it doesn't disappear until I restart my computer. I re-installed it yesterday so that's why it didn't happen before.
Annoying.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 24, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

There was a bug in Windows 8 that did the exact same thing, I guess it could just not ever be fixed.

The solution involved effectively installing the US keyboard layout (or even OS language, I don't remember exactly), making it the default so you could then explicitly make the other language the default again and then uninstalling the Eng US thing again.

edit: after seeing your edit, the above is something else and unrelated then.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
That exact thing just happened to me. I only have US International, so the icon shouldn't even be there, but it put US regular on until I restarted. It could have been a game for me as well.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Just updated to Creators edition, and now I cant launch anything from the Start menu if I search for it first.

eg windows key followed by typing notepad, cmd etc

It finds the programs, but left/right clicking or hitting enter does nothing. Boo

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I want to run just have people be able to connect to my machine and dump large files on it remotely. I have no clue how to set this up, I am on windows 10, and am familiar with ftp on linux but cannot for the life of me figure out how to set it up on my windows computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I want to run just have people be able to connect to my machine and dump large files on it remotely. I have no clue how to set this up, I am on windows 10, and am familiar with ftp on linux but cannot for the life of me figure out how to set it up on my windows computer.

Just run FileZilla Server.