Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Fighting Iudex Gundyr was somehow harder as a mercenary than as a warrior. Took me 8-9 tries this time. The individual swords have no force to them compared to the axe, and I can't quite figure out how to effectively dual-wield or throw bombs at the right time. I nearly fried my brain in the 90 minutes that took me.

You were using the dual-weild and the L1 weapon skill, right? Because the Sellsword Twinblades are amazing, just absurdly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Brain In A Jar posted:

You were using the dual-weild and the L1 weapon skill, right? Because the Sellsword Twinblades are amazing, just absurdly good.
Doesn't L1 just use the left sword and no combo of the two?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Fighting Iudex Gundyr was somehow harder as a mercenary than as a warrior. Took me 8-9 tries this time. The individual swords have no force to them compared to the axe, and I can't quite figure out how to effectively dual-wield or throw bombs at the right time. I nearly fried my brain in the 90 minutes that took me.

Also how many hours does it take to figure out parrying?

The trick to parrying effectively is not to watch the weapon, but the hand. When you see the opponent's hand coming towards you that's when you want to parry; as soon as you see the wind-up you want to slam that L2 button. A good place to practice is Cathedral of the Deeps, since the Cathedral Knights there hit like a truck and have a pretty generous windup. If you can parry them on the regular there isn't much that can survive you. The parrying dagger/caestus/small shields have the largest window of opportunity for parries so you're less likely to whiff it.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 21, 2017

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Doesn't L1 just use the left sword and no combo of the two?

No, if you press Triangle (or equivalent) when you've got them equipped, you use them as a dual-wield set, they get a special swing on L1 that hits with both swords and has a unique combo, and you also get a spin attack on L2.

Edit: the same applies for the Caestus, the claws, and any other weapons you'd typically have powerstanced in DS2 – they're rolled into sets that technically one weapon now.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

The trick to parrying effectively is not to watch the weapon, but the hand. When you see the opponent's hand coming towards you that's when you want to parry; as soon as you see the wind-up you want to slam that L2 button. A good place to practice is Cathedral of the Deeps, since the Cathedral Knights there hit like a truck and have a pretty generous windup. If you can parry them on the regular there isn't much that can survive you. The parrying dagger/caestus/small shields have the largest window of opportunity for parries so you're less likely to whiff it.

Another thing: send Greirat out on his first run and wait for him to come back. When he does, pick up a Knight Shield. It's a relatively light shield that can parry and has 100% phys reduction, so even if you get a partial parry, you''ll take a lot less damage than if you got hit outright.

Oh yeah! I should mention partial parries if you don't know about 'em. Basically if you parry a little too early or a little too late for it to actually deflect the attack, you'll take some damage and hear a clang on your shield. It's a good measure of whether you're doing it too soon or too late.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Also how many hours does it take to figure out parrying?

Figuring out parrying is the easy part; you hit that parry a few frames before their attack connects with you.

The hard part is learning the timings, and since every attack from every enemy varies both in frames and visuals... it's probably gonna take a while to get good at :v: That said, if you're using a parrying shield then the startup frames are quick enough that you can reactively parry a lot of attacks. In this case it's all about reaction time, which... is probably also gonna take a while to get good at :v:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

And Tyler Too! posted:

The parrying dagger/caestus/small shields have the largest window of opportunity for parries so you're less likely to whiff it.

I don't think the dagger has special frames in 3. Also the caestus has the least wind up not the most frames. Painter sword has the most frames but also the most start up

Three small shields, target buckler small leather, have better frames than other small shields.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

So that's a thing that happened. I was summoned and couldn't damage the host, he didn't seem to notice me, ran around the arena attacking air. After a while the second Spear was summoned and they started fighting. I don't know if he second Spear cld see me but he was able to damage me. Killed me along with the host so I don't know if I would've gotten a reward.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Huh, apparently if you complete Lapp's quest line without having killed the Gravetender you get the Champion's bones from the same place where Lapp leaves his armor.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

When do you get the dude you can give boss souls to?

He's there from the start, sitting in one of the thrones in Firelink.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

You have to kill rotted greatwood before you can trade him Souls though.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm having fun with Black Serpent and the Repeating Crossbow with the Spears of the Church :shepface:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Lauren Plays Dark Souls is good and entertaining but it's a lot better to watch on 1.5x playback speed

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Is Farron's Watchdogs more of a low level pvp covenant? I joined it and I'm level 50 and I've never been summoned in the 10 hours I've been in it.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Charles Bukowski posted:

Is Farron's Watchdogs more of a low level pvp covenant? I joined it and I'm level 50 and I've never been summoned in the 10 hours I've been in it.

None of those summon factions work, except *maybe* Aldritch's Faithful because of Gank City.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Watchdogs kind of work at 30. But yeah the covenant and PvP in general design really suffer from neglect or just a lack of innovation.
It's less dumb then rat caves but dogs and faithful have the same problem all the location covs have

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

SL50 is way too high for Watchdogs. How often have YOU gone through Road/Farron at SL50, or even close? For watchdogs you want to be as low level as practicable, definitely not above like 35. It still doesn't work as well as Aldrich Faithful because players are practically guaranteed to be embered when they enter the invasion zone for Aldrich, unlike Road or Farron. But plenty of people ember up for Crystal Sage or to fight Heysel anyway, you can definitely get bites there if you're in the right range.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brain In A Jar posted:

No, if you press Triangle (or equivalent) when you've got them equipped, you use them as a dual-wield set, they get a special swing on L1 that hits with both swords and has a unique combo, and you also get a spin attack on L2.

They're also by far the highest DPS weapon in the entire game. You can shred bosses in seconds with the right setup.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vermain posted:

They're also by far the highest DPS weapon in the entire game. You can shred bosses in seconds with the right setup.

Who cares about DPS when you can smash a boss in one to three hits with the right set up.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
drat, taking Vilheim on with 15 vit and a +2 Uchi was certainly an experience.

And the sad thing is that it still feels like a much fairer version of Crowsteel Teh Hedgehog from Bloodborne, when fought at the intended level no less. Christ what were they thinking with that sidequest.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Vermain posted:

I really like the Warden Twinblades as well, but they're a pain in the rear end to farm (especially if you're getting them at Cathedral of the Deep).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Rushing the Crow Quills and using them for Farron is fun as heck. Most players have no idea how to deal with that moveset.

I can't remember whether there is a ring to eat your souls and keep your SL until I deal with covenant stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Your SL won't increase unless you actually level up with them. Just don't spend them on your stats.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the way to keep your sl low in ds3 is to not level up. you can waste souls on consumables and armors if you want to get rid of extra souls.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I thought it was souls earned rather than spent, probably DS II or something. Thanks!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

You're thinking of the terrible soul memory poo poo from DS2, the worst Souls game.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

skasion posted:

SL50 is way too high for Watchdogs. How often have YOU gone through Road/Farron at SL50, or even close? For watchdogs you want to be as low level as practicable, definitely not above like 35. It still doesn't work as well as Aldrich Faithful because players are practically guaranteed to be embered when they enter the invasion zone for Aldrich, unlike Road or Farron. But plenty of people ember up for Crystal Sage or to fight Heysel anyway, you can definitely get bites there if you're in the right range.

Watchdogs has been fairly active around 120-150, meaning a couple summons per hour during peak times. Not anywhere near the non-stop action of Aldrich Faithful though.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

I don't know, I've never played this before. I'll choose another covenant then. Maybe those blue soldiers.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Charles Bukowski posted:

I don't know, I've never played this before. I'll choose another covenant then. Maybe those blue soldiers.

All the auto summon covenants are pretty broken. Blue Cops is mostly dead because very few people actually equip the thing that summons them. After you beat the boss of Irithyll, you will be entering the busiest PvP hotspot. Equipping Aldrich Faithful and to a lesser extent Darkmoon will get you steady summons, assuming you are like 70 or so.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^HaB, Darkmoons work exactly the same as Blue Sentinels and have exactly the same problem: not many people wear Way of Blue. Being in the AF zone at the right level range will probably get you summoned as either a sentinel or darkmoon faster, because there are going to be more red invaders in the zone anyway and the blue covenants prioritize the zone you're in before looking for invaders elsewhere, but there's no difference in how well the actual covenants work (poorly) as far as I'm aware.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Blue sentinels also have difficulty getting hits for the entirely different reason that they can only be summoned by people in Way of Blue, which most people don't really bother with. You'll probably get summoned for it on occasion unless your connection is absolutely terrible, but if you want to get very regular PvP the best ways to do it are to get yourself a red eye orb or join the Faithful covenant (you maybe haven't gotten this far yet).

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 22, 2017

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ive just beaten the Pontiff and am looking around to decide which direction to go next. I put up a message for that mimic as I had no warning beforehand. Mimics!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

Ive just beaten the Pontiff and am looking around to decide which direction to go next. I put up a message for that mimic as I had no warning beforehand. Mimics!

If you're embered and go straight ahead from the pontiff bonfire, you'll get more PVP than you know what to do with.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Charles Bukowski posted:

Mimic chests have a chain that points towards you, standard ones have a chain that points away :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mimic chests also breathe! If you look closely you can see them snoring

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

monny posted:

Mimic chests have a chain that points towards you, standard ones have a chain that points away :)

And they breathe if you look closely!

Also they don't like being hit with a sword so the easiest way to check for a mimic is to just hit every chest v:v:v

e:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mimic chests also breathe! If you look closely you can see them snoring

:hfive:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

skasion posted:

Blue sentinels also have difficulty getting hits for the entirely different reason that they can only be summoned by people in Way of Blue, which most people don't really bother with. You'll probably get summoned for it on occasion unless your connection is absolutely terrible, but if you want to get very regular PvP the best ways to do it are to get yourself a red eye orb or join the Faithful covenant (you maybe haven't gotten this far yet).

I get Blue hits in Farron, for some reason. Maybe because players like a good free-for-all and invade there. Maybe confirmation bias. :shrug:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Farron is definitely popping off at SL25 / WL+2. I get chain-summoned fairly often.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

skasion posted:

If you're embered and go straight ahead from the pontiff bonfire, you'll get more PVP than you know what to do with.

Just need to post this again because it is the greatest screenshot

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

Farron is definitely popping off at SL25 / WL+2. I get chain-summoned fairly often.

Does weapon level have anything to do with the range of summoning?

Edit:nvm, checked the wiki

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

codo27 posted:

Just need to post this again because it is the greatest screenshot

Even after all this time this screenshot still gets me going.