Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SkySteak posted:

If you're rapidly colonizing the galaxy, how would you have a mineral budget for anything? Considering early game, colony ships take years to get to, wouldn't it be quite tricky to have any real force? Is it simply that the 3-4-5 planets you may have (buildings or not)+ mining stations are enough to tip that factor in your favour?

You're colonizing in part to claim space. Mineral stations in space are the most efficient way of generating minerals.

Like, I don't spend any minerals until I get my first colony ship, then only build things that generate minerals or patch energy/food deficits until my second colony ship. I'm prioritizing colony ships until I have my first 5-7 colonies, unless I need a fleet right away to deal with events or wars off an aggressive neighbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
If you have the Unity, hit Prosperity first, for the Private Colony Ships. Having colony ships be built from Energy instead is pretty sweet. Plus with the faction system I don't notice the ethics drift as much.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm really really glad to see that the AI is now building things on planets. When I invade them they've actually got buildings!

The downside to this is that planetary invasions are now a pain. I got used to having one single transport fleet of maybe 12 units. Now I've got to build more. Even with Xeno cavalry and such there's so much defending the planet that it's not easy. Which is probably a good thing? I guess.

It's nice to see migrant aliens turning up in my land too. It's a lot slower but hell at least it's something!

My newest annoyance is that right now Militant factions are the ones that go against everything my nation stands for. But I can't convert the people away. So every planet has a pop that's unhappy because it's militant. I have the "One Vision" ascendancy perk, I've got Harmony, I've got re-education. Doesn't matter.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy poo poo, psychics can actually talk to the Prethoryn?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I just finished a game, now well into the 2400s, but there hasn't been any crises that fired. Is it possible for the Robot crisis to fire without any notification to the player? I was a Fan Spiritualist and built no robots all game. I certainly didn't see a robot planet appear, and nothing messed with the AIs on the other side of the galaxy.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
So I've conquered every civilization that wasn't at least an association in my Federation...

But none of my existing associations can join my Federation, because the other members of my Federation don't like them.

I'd like to go for the Federation Victory and I don't want to have to kick out association members and just conquer them outright.

Any advice? (I have the Diplomatic tree finished)

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

alcaras posted:

So I've conquered every civilization that wasn't at least an association in my Federation...

But none of my existing associations can join my Federation, because the other members of my Federation don't like them.

I'd like to go for the Federation Victory and I don't want to have to kick out association members and just conquer them outright.

Have any of the crises fired yet? if not, the mutual threat bonus might be enough to push them in if the malus isn't enormous. Otherwise yeah, war is usually the most expedient answer to a diplomatic problem in Stellaris.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Galactic Status Report:

On fire :shepicide:

The Prethoryn post-1.61 sure are something. We're enduring but they are seemingly limitless. Attempts to sortie into their space did not work out as their fleets redirected en masse. Currently just trying to stem the tide and hope they run out of dudes eventually.

So. Many. 60k fleets.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Atsushogob posted:

Have any of the crises fired yet? if not, the mutual threat bonus might be enough to push them in if the malus isn't enormous. Otherwise yeah, war is usually the most expedient answer to a diplomatic problem in Stellaris.

No crises yet.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Captain Oblivious posted:

Galactic Status Report:

The Prethoryn post-1.61 sure are something. We're enduring but they are seemingly limitless. Attempts to sortie into their space did not work out as their fleets redirected en masse. Currently just trying to stem the tide and hope they run out of dudes eventually.

So. Many. 60k fleets.

I've just spent the last couple of hours burning down every Prethoryn infested planet while the rest of the galaxy sat around and played with their weird alien dicks. I thought that would end the crisis, but it hasn't. What else do you want me to do, goddammit?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

I've just spent the last couple of hours burning down every Prethoryn infested planet while the rest of the galaxy sat around and played with their weird alien dicks. I thought that would end the crisis, but it hasn't. What else do you want me to do, goddammit?

What sort of loadouts did you use to beat them? Right now I'm still trying to survive the deluge.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

What sort of loadouts did you use to beat them? Right now I'm still trying to survive the deluge.

Mostly battleships filled with strike fighters and level 5 energy weapons.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Mostly battleships filled with strike fighters and level 5 energy weapons.

Huh. Wouldn't have expected that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Huh. Wouldn't have expected that.

They have no shields so energy weapons are the right choice. They have afaik nothing resembling PD other than their own strike craft equivalents, so strike craft can actually gently caress them up really bad. Missiles would probably also be good except for the overkill issue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Prethoryn have very little in the way of long ranged weapons. Battleships with large mounts will chew right through them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

They have no shields so energy weapons are the right choice. They have afaik nothing resembling PD other than their own strike craft equivalents, so strike craft can actually gently caress them up really bad. Missiles would probably also be good except for the overkill issue.

Wouldn't plasma outperform level 5 energy though? The strikecraft part I get.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Wouldn't plasma outperform level 5 energy though? The strikecraft part I get.

It might do! I just don't have plasma. And also have been playing this game for like three days now, so you should listen to others' advice rather than mine.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Plasma's problem is the range. The swarm doesn't have any long range weapons so the more range you have the more you're going to kill before the engagement range closes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

Holy poo poo, psychics can actually talk to the Prethoryn?

Yep, be sure to talk to them, they'll tell you what their goal is in your galaxy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Plasma's problem is the range. The swarm doesn't have any long range weapons so the more range you have the more you're going to kill before the engagement range closes.

That follows.

Truga posted:

Yep, be sure to talk to them, they'll tell you what their goal is in your galaxy.

Who's looking forward to End Game Crises Part 2 being added :razz:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

alcaras posted:

I think Federations might be a bit bugged right now because I'm having that issue too. I can't even de-associate people because although it shows a tick it gets downvoted and it doesn't tell me who by. Every other civ in my fed hates them but they don't want them to stop being associates? Why?

And the Prethoryn are probably the easiest crisis to beat. Their fleets of 90k still fall to my fleets of 30 or 40. Even if I'm using mass drivers!

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

Galactic Status Report:

So. Many. 60k fleets.

Weird. My 1.6.1 prethoryn crisis is jammed. They won't take new planets abd there are a dozen colony ships at each planet. They just keep respawning fleets and throwing them into the awakened empires doom stacks without doing much. This is leaving me time to conquer my former federation to build up a big enough fleet to kill the 600k awakened fleet they is slowly but surely being whittled away by stack after stack of 60k fleets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

alcaras posted:

Dive into the uh I forget if it's domination or supremacy the one that boosts vassals, start vassalising and integrating them one by one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

They have issues taking planets, it just seems to take them forever.

I cheated up the robot crisis last night and holy heck are the constant synth saboteur events annoying.

Of the three crises right now the Unbidden are the only ones that work right.

...well I guess end of the cycle works right but that's a different kind of thing

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

GunnerJ posted:

If you can put up a 100% anti-missile screen (not too hard with flak cannons) they have no armor penetration left over so your 90% armor cruisers and battleships can pretty much tank them forevr.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

peak debt posted:

If you can put up a 100% anti-missile screen (not too hard with flak cannons) they have no armor penetration left over so your 90% armor cruisers and battleships can pretty much tank them forevr.

I suspect that's my problem. Just need to pile on more flak :v:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

cptn_dr posted:

The event to end the crisis requires the Scourge to have no owned planets AND no owned ships (which includes the hive stations, I'm pretty sure). Every so often, as long as any of these are alive but the Scourge don't have enough constructors or colonizers, the game will spawn more constructors or colonizers that you will then have to kill.

However, they can't get new swarm fleets unless they have a planet with a spaceport. This has led to the hilarious situation in my current game where, after I successfully herded the Scourge into eating all my tiny annoying neighbours while leaving me alone, they're now stuck in one of my neighbours border systems with no habitable planets within range (except the neighbour's, which they don't have a strong enough fleet to take), but a cluster of stations too strong for the neighbour's puny fleet to handle, so everyone just stares at each other with their respective sets of gigantic eyes.

I could drop a battle fleet on them and end it in days but the neighbour's closed their borders and won't be opening them anytime soon, and declaring war to force them open would end up with me fighting their entire defensive pact, which would not be remotely difficult but WOULD be logistically annoying enough that it isn't worth the bother unless I genocide them all from orbit in the process (which is, frankly, why I wanted the Scourge to do it for me but YOU HAVE NOW OUTLIVED YOUR USEFULNESS, INSECTS.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 22, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Dive into the uh I forget if it's domination or supremacy the one that boosts vassals, start vassalising and integrating them one by one.

I found going domination is actually super cool for playing a tall empire. My last game I went the olde spiritualist/xenophobe/pacifist route. I teched through the tree and unity'd myself through all trees except diplomacy real quick, got the +200 fleet size perk fairly early (it was my third pick), then I embraced spiritualism to get rid of pacifism (leaving me a fanatic spiritualist xenophobe) and started subduing my neighbours. Some of them I made tributaries, getting shitloads of minerals and power from them, some of them I vassilized, getting shitloads of fleet cap.

I had 4 planets for most of the game, 6 when the FE neighbour awakened, but had a 700 fleet cap by then and enough income to crank out a cruiser a month. Best of all, I didn't have to deal with sectors or at all until I enslaved the FEs, despite having super high fleet cap and income.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 22, 2017

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Come back to Stellaris after a year, I'm playing the New Horizons mod.

This is a silly question, I have researched mines and defence satellites early on but have not worked out how to build them, I thought they might be available to spaceports or constructors but no.

Do I have to research deploying them too?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I keep getting messages that someone is destroying the various enclaves around the galaxy, but it doesn't say who it is or why. Is there any way to find out who it is and stop them? It's down to just one last artist enclave, and I'd really like to keep that 10% unity bonus going.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's probably one of the Wraith leviathans. Because they move around, they wind up killing whatever is on the edge of systems in their neighborhood.

Loveline posted:

Weird. My 1.6.1 prethoryn crisis is jammed. They won't take new planets abd there are a dozen colony ships at each planet. They just keep respawning fleets and throwing them into the awakened empires doom stacks without doing much. This is leaving me time to conquer my former federation to build up a big enough fleet to kill the 600k awakened fleet they is slowly but surely being whittled away by stack after stack of 60k fleets.

This is pretty routine for them and the unbidden unfortunately. They don't seem to reevaluate their goals often (or at all?) so if they encounter an opponent who can defeat them they just bash their heads into it over and over again, rather than leaving them alone and attacking weaker people somewhere else.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

This is pretty routine for them and the unbidden unfortunately. They don't seem to reevaluate their goals often (or at all?) so if they encounter an opponent who can defeat them they just bash their heads into it over and over again, rather than leaving them alone and attacking weaker people somewhere else.

Which is really a shame - I would love to be able to chase the Scourge or the Unbidden away from me and towards other AI Empires.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
The "Prosperity" faction really bugs me. The flavor text seems to give the impression that they're some kind of business or economic development lobby, but they're not. They're actually a pacifist faction, and get really upset when you wage any kind of war.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VirtualStranger posted:

The "Prosperity" faction really bugs me. The flavor text seems to give the impression that they're some kind of business or economic development lobby, but they're not. They're actually a pacifist faction, and get really upset when you wage any kind of war.

They like financial solvency and pacifism. Otherwise you would get all the benefits by just not being at war.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

VirtualStranger posted:

Stellaris since 1.5 moved "promotes business interests" from the old Individualist ethic to the Pacifist ethic. It makes sense from a European liberal conception of politics, where promoting international business ties supposedly promotes peace between those nations. It doesn't mesh well with an American view of politics, particularly the military-industrial complex.

The problem remains that capitalism is too chimeric and flexible to comfortably fit into Stellaris's ethical framework. Pacifist-Egalitarian-Xenophile fits an idealized liberal conception of post-EU Europe, and the EU is at its heart a liberal capitalist trade agreement. On the other hand, so does Militarist-Authoritarian-Xenophobe: Nazi Germany made corporations whose interests aligned with the state rich, so much so that those corporations survived even punitive post-war measures and denazificiation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

The event to end the crisis requires the Scourge to have no owned planets AND no owned ships (which includes the hive stations, I'm pretty sure). Every so often, as long as any of these are alive but the Scourge don't have enough constructors or colonizers, the game will spawn more constructors or colonizers that you will then have to kill.

I've had it end when there's loads of ships left but I blew up all their colonised planets. It was sort of out of nowhere!

There's definitely something up with Federations again. When I liberate a person that's near one of my federation members I can't invite them to my Federation because of the distance modifier. But they're right next to us! I'm sure it used to calculate from the nearest member before.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 23, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
pacifists support internal development because a) they decided to make ethoses symmetrical so they had to have a pacifist faction b) but an actual faction that just cared about not being at war would suck rear end

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
RIP me

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I haven't played this game in so long. Someone tell me if there are any must-try mods now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm

• Locked thread