Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I find it odd the fact that Jeremy Corbyn endorsed the bravery of those on both sides against who were standing up to those who wanted to continue armed conflict and condemned bombings and killings done by both sides is somehow a bad thing.

The people who think it's important to only condemn the IRA need to rethink.

Yes because when you're hoping to win the support of people who had their shopping centre blown up by the IRA it's important that they understand you think both sides were as bad as each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wales voted for Brexit right? Media has been talking up Conservative gains there I think?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I can't believe Wexit won by a landslide.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Yes because when you're hoping to win the support of people who had their shopping centre blown up by the IRA it's important that they understand you think both sides were as bad as each other.

Yes. It is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

Full video of Theresa May answering questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgGDikcjRxI

Hahaha holy poo poo Laura Kuenssberg's opening question was brutal. Love it.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

TheRat posted:

Rumour has it there's an "interesting" poll coming out of Wales today.

In this election it would only be interesting if the Tories weren't dominating.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I find it odd the fact that Jeremy Corbyn endorsed the bravery of those on both sides against who were standing up to those who wanted to continue armed conflict and condemned bombings and killings done by both sides is somehow a bad thing.

The people who think it's important to only condemn the IRA need to rethink.

I don't understand why he can't just say "Yes I condemn the IRA. Also, I condem the UVF and all the terrorist groups who murdered people during that period" etc....

Does he think the questioner is going immediately to start shouting at him as soon as the says the first sentence to stop him saying the rest? Why not just say it?

NB I'm not claiming this means he secretly supports the IRA, I'm saying I wish he'd just give a straight answer to the question "do you condemn the IRA". That wouldn't stop him saying the rest too.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TheRat posted:

Yes. It is.

Enjoy never forming a government.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Paxman posted:

NB I'm not claiming this means he secretly supports the IRA

*opens Daily Mail* actually I think you'll find Jeremy Corbyn founded the IRA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paxman posted:

I don't understand why he can't just say "Yes I condemn the IRA. Also, I condem the UVF and all the terrorist groups who murdered people during that period" etc....

Does he think the questioner is going immediately to start shouting at him as soon as the says the first sentence to stop him saying the rest? Why not just say it?

NB I'm not claiming this means he secretly supports the IRA, I'm saying I wish he'd just give a straight answer to the question "do you condemn the IRA". That wouldn't stop him saying the rest too.

Maybe he doesn't.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SteelMentor posted:

I know hope is a lie etc etc, but I'm starting to get the feeling Corbyn might be able to pull this off. May keeps shooting herself in the foot and even diehard Tory voters seem to be turning against her.

Don't do this to yourself

TheRat posted:

Rumour has it there's an "interesting" poll coming out of Wales today.

100% of people polled think this is bad for Corbyn.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Paxman posted:

That's literally what he did?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

No, saying "I condemn all violence" is not enough, he must utter "IRA BAD", saying violence by all sides was bad is too easy to confuse with him supporting Provincial IRA bombing campaigns.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe he doesn't.

I think you're right.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Dabir posted:

The other 3%?

Following up the citation link they are "not known" or "Irish Security".

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe he doesn't.

Maybe he thinks that given that 48% of civilian deaths were caused by loyalist paramilitaries which were heavily backed by the British state they shouldn't be given a free pass on it.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 22, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm starting to see a trend here
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/866640164264845312

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

TheRat posted:

Sorry you are right

JEREMY CORBYN: There were Loyalist bombs as well. I condemn all the bombing by both the Loyalists and the IRA.

"Sky News transcript posted:

SR: So can you condemn unequivocally the IRA?

JEREMY CORBYN: Look, bombing is wrong, of course all bombing is wrong, of course I condemn it.

SR: You are condemning all bombing but can you condemn the IRA without equating it to …?

JEREMY CORBYN: No, I think what you have to say is all bombing has to be condemned and you have to bring about a peace process. Listen …

SR: But do you condemn the IRA?

JEREMY CORBYN: Wait a minute, can you allow me to finish please? In the 1980s Britain was looking for a military solution in Ireland: it clearly was never going to work, ask anyone in the British Army at that time. Therefore you have to seek a peace process. You condemn the violence of those that laid bombs that killed large numbers of innocent people and I do.

SR: But can you condemn the IRA, who were responsible for …

JEREMY CORBYN: I just condemned all those that do bombing, all those on both sides.

SR: If you let me finish as well after I let you finish that would be appreciated.

JEREMY CORBYN: All those on both sides that laid bombs.

SR: But can you condemn the IRA who were responsible for 60% of the deaths during the Troubles with the British security services who were responsible for 10%?

JEREMY CORBYN: And there were Loyalist bombs as well which you haven’t mentioned.

SR: Yes, 30%.

JEREMY CORBYN: There were Loyalist bombs as well. I condemn all the bombing by both the Loyalists and the IRA.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/media-packs/2017/sophy-ridge-on-sunday-interview-with-jeremy-corbyn,-labour-leader,-210517

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'd assume the other 3% was splinter groups the major players didn't want to claim as their own, or killings that may have been murders so didn't get counted and whatnot.

I lived in Ireland in 97/98 and the overwhelming relief amongst the young that they didn't have to carry on with their parents and grandparents grudges can't be put into words. The summer of 98 had this unreal kind of celebration in the air, the atmosphere at every festival or event was ramped up to 11.

gently caress you if you want to start up this old poo poo again, and double gently caress you if you want to bring the youth back into it. What the Irish/NI olds did to the youth is far far worse than what the boomers are doing in the UK. Who gives a poo poo who had what meeting with who back in the day, if that meeting even made a tiny bit of a difference to ending the violence then it was worth it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Just dont watch election night live on the telly, ive done a few now and for reasons that elude me the labour safe seats are always counted first and you get all hopeful then a deluge of blue turns up over the night :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paxman posted:

Sorry you are right

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/media-packs/2017/sophy-ridge-on-sunday-interview-with-jeremy-corbyn,-labour-leader,-210517

Those numbers appear to be the opposite of what was quoted earlier in the thread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Seaside Loafer posted:

Just dont watch election night live on the telly, ive done a few now and for reasons that elude me the labour safe seats are always counted first and you get all hopeful then a deluge of blue turns up over the night :/

Good advice about Tories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B436avtEXzs

e:

OwlFancier posted:

Those numbers appear to be the opposite of what was quoted earlier in the thread.
I think IRA groups bombed more civilians and UU groups machinegunned more civilians.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pissflaps posted:

Mostly what I remember from that is jokes that the IRA did Manchester a favour by bombing the Arndale.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The numbers quoted earlier were civilians. I'm guessing these include military losses as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

The numbers quoted earlier were civilians. I'm guessing these include military losses as well.

Not sure you can condemn people who bomb occupying forces, honestly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Paul.Power posted:

Mostly what I remember from that is jokes that the IRA did Manchester a favour by bombing the Arndale.

They said the same about hitler.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure you can condemn people who bomb occupying forces, honestly.

They hate us for our freedom :clint:

E: In a more serious note, that's literally what they want. This is people who wank over 'are brave boys'.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

They said the same about hitler.

Pissflaps can you come out and condemn the UVF please. I think this issue needs to be addressed.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
George Osborne sat at home, smirking at the tv screen:

"Not as easy as you thought it was going to be, eh? :smug:"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Seaside Loafer posted:

Sunderland constituencies have made a big thing of always being the first to declare. It also takes longer to collate the ballots for larger and more rural constituencies.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Can someone please take the Theresa May shaking her head when asked about the Dementia Tax and turn it into a gif please!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Sunderland constituencies have made a big thing of always being the first to declare. It also takes longer to collate the ballots for larger and more rural constituencies.

I remember either last election or the one before they had some awful tryhard nerds in a special stupid little uniform running around with the the boxes and papers and speedwalking everywhere, desperately trying to ensure that theirs was the first result to come in. It was :cripes: as hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be honest viewing the entire conflict as some kind of moral question rather than what happens when you occupy a country and poo poo all over it is just weird. Presumably the same people taking the former view also don't make the connection between western interventionism and the state of the middle east either.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Very much enjoyin this tweet my droogs

https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/866643469003042820

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest viewing the entire conflict as some kind of moral question rather than what happens when you occupy a country and poo poo all over it is just weird. Presumably the same people taking the former view also don't make the connection between western interventionism and the state of the middle east either.

I came across this beauty on reddit last night:

Person 1 posted:

Did you miss the bit about the IRA being a terrorist organisation?
And given he had already condemned the violence, it wasn't a matter of which of the two was more important to condemn, was it?

Person 2 posted:

To Iraqi civilians the UK and US was an invasionary force, which could be construed as terrorists if they're killing or maiming your family.
Just because you use tanks and missiles does not excuse you if you're killing innocent civilians.

Person 1 posted:

But 9/11 happened in 2001, We didnt send troops to Iraq until 2003...

People really have zero sense of perspective and history.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

I came across this beauty on reddit last night:

People really have zero sense of perspective and history.

Did some people have a nasty concussion and end up with the belief that Iraq orchestrated the September 11th attacks?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Michael Crick is trying so hard for laughs, it's actually making me cringe.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Did some people have a nasty concussion and end up with the belief that Iraq orchestrated the September 11th attacks?

I think people genuinely have no idea about what happened before they were born and just believe whatever black&white story their favourite news outlet and/or celebrity tells them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh god it's depressing that there are people old enough to vote who can't remember 9/11.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Oh god it's depressing that there are people old enough to vote who can't remember 9/11.

I was pregnant with my son on 9/11 he's 15 now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
9/11 was the last time I was as worried about the future as I am now.

• Locked thread