Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/hessenschau/status/866287817592320000

limiting free-speech is a very bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Can people please stop posting completely untranslated moonspeak.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Deutsch ist bald die einzige Amtssprache der EU :randlerhaube:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the EU is run by unwashed river barbarians
:italy:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
oh great, françois asselineau will be candidate in the 10th constituency of seine-saint-denis

because he got his best scores (2%) in our department.

quote:

« Nous sommes passés de 246 à 967 voix, soit une hausse de +293 % », précise-t-il.

that's a peak asselineau quote

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

blowfish posted:

Deutsch ist bald die einzige Amtssprache der EU :randlerhaube:

there used to be a smugdog with a pickelhaube, fits perfectly

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wild Horses posted:

the EU is run by unwashed river barbarians
:italy:

Shockingly, we've discovered barbarians are still probably smarter than the lords and ladies of the UK court.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

oh great, françois asselineau will be candidate in the 10th constituency of seine-saint-denis

because he got his best scores (2%) in our department.

that's a peak asselineau quote

I could watch Asselineau fail to live up to Farage's very modest achievements basically forever

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

there used to be a smugdog with a pickelhaube, fits perfectly

A-hem, I'm pretty sure that's what he meant with :randlerhaube:, Kamerad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

julian assflange posted:

It's actually really good

why is better enforced dumbass copyright segmentation good?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The EU should just declare that copyrights valid in one member state are valid in all of them, if issued after a certain date (e.g. 1.1.2018).

Single market and all that.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
EU patent and copyright laws are actually working towards that as we speak.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I realise that I have been slacking in my duty to post :italy:pol updates. Let me remedy that.

Current issues!

Vaccines - a recently-passed law requires all children who enroll in kindergarten or preschool to be up to date with all vaccinations that are required by law. Parties are split into two: "this is a good law" - all governing parties; "BUT WHAT ABOUT FREEDOM OF CHOICE :qq:" - all other parties.

Guaranteed Income - hot topic re: the Five Star Movement, who keep proposing this and had a march to publicise it, in which Grillo said "We're modern-day Franciscans, giving everything we have to the poor". (The Church replied that "No one can call themselves modern-day Franciscans, politicians least of all".)

Immigration - one hundred thousand people marched in Milan last weekend to ask for a more open welcome to refugees and legal migrants. And of course Lega Nord and other right wing parties keep talking about "traitors who are selling Italy to the invaders."

Lega Nord - Salvini won the primary election in a landslide, and he's changing the party's platform from "Northern Italy Good, everyone else bad" to "Italy good, everyone else bad" to try and get more votes.

Electoral law - still not done. Must be done before the next elections, but everyone keeps arguing with everyone else about it.

:siren: The Animal Rights Party :siren: - founded by Michela Brambilla (right-wing politician and known animal lover) and :siren: Silvio Berlusconi :siren:, will partecipate in the next general elections (which will take place either this coming fall or next spring), their political platform is "MEAT EATERS BAD, GRASS EATERS GOOD". Ok, not literally, but close enough. Opinion time: this is a last ditch effort by Dear Silvio to still be relevant in politics. loving hell, man. You're eighty. Know when to stop.

Latest polls: Democratic Party 28,1%; Five Star Movement 27,6%; Forza Italia 12,5%; Lega Nord 11,5%; the rest are "others". Notably, should the right-wing parties (Forza Italia, Lega Nord, and some minor parties) decide to run together, they would be at 30,2% overall, above both the Democratic Party and the Five Star Movement. This is unlikely however, since Salvini and Berlusconi hate each other's guts.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Mikl posted:

Lega Nord - Salvini won the primary election in a landslide, and he's changing the party's platform from "Northern Italy Good, everyone else bad" to "Italy good, everyone else bad" to try and get more votes.

lol, Lega "Nord"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

lol, Lega "Nord"
Northern side of the Mediterranean.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can people please stop posting completely untranslated moonspeak.
Look man, Juncker said English was losing its importance in the EU, thread culture will change to take Brexit into account.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mikl posted:

You know has much as i want to mock that racist poo poo, that dumb change will get them voices in the South. It's not like all the racist idiots live exclusively in Padania.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Hambilderberglar posted:

Look man, Juncker said English was losing its importance in the EU, thread culture will change to take Brexit into account.

This but unironically.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fint, så synes jeg bare vi alle sammen skal skrive på vores modersmål. Det er sgu nok egentligt også mere i den europæiske ånd.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Fint, så synes jeg bare vi alle sammen skal skrive på vores modersmål. Det er sgu nok egentligt også mere i den europæiske ånd.

Pareil

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Hablad cristiano, coño.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Het is helemaal niet moeilijk om al deze talen te lezen, zelfs al spreek ik ze niet.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually peak-Europe is writing the same thing in every member country's language.

Am europäischsten ist es eigentlich die gleiche Sache in jeder Mitgliedssprache zu schreiben.

La solution plus européenne est répéter tout dans tout les langues de l'union.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Het is helemaal niet moeilijk om al deze talen te lezen, zelfs al spreek ik ze niet.

C'est toujours mieux que de se soumettre au grand Satan américain en parlant anglais

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lost in postation posted:

C'est toujours mieux que de se soumettre au grand Satan américain en parlant anglais

dette, men uironisk

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I mean lol if you can't understand any unfamiliar Germanic and Romance language on the spot through etymological deduction. That's a basic skill.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

tempon por esperanto por brili

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sheep-dodger posted:

Actually peak-Europe is writing the same thing in every member country's language.

Am europäischsten ist es eigentlich die gleiche Sache in jeder Mitgliedssprache zu schreiben.

I agree with the general idea

Le caca c'est délicieux

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I agree with the general idea

Le caca c'est délicieux

Lol
Lol
Lol
Lol
Mdr
Lol
Lol

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Shibawanko posted:

I mean lol if you can't understand any unfamiliar Germanic and Romance language on the spot through etymological deduction. That's a basic skill.

Slažem se, isto važi i za slovenske jezike.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

sheep-dodger posted:

You forgot, a lot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
AFAIK:

The European Commission has three working language: English, French, German. French is used more often than German, and English is used more often than the other two combined.
The European Court of Justice works in French, and ends up translating their decisions in whatever language is relevant for the case they judged.
The European Central Bank works only in English, since it is the language of financiers, entrepreneurs, and rentiers.
The European Court of Auditors works only in French.
The European Parliament works in all 24 official languages of the EU.
The European Council and the Council of the European Union have nothing official wrt. languages used.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

AFAIK:

The European Commission has three working language: English, French, German. French is used more often than German, and English is used more often than the other two combined.
If i remember correctly according to its status, the European Commission can only work in the language of a member state. English speakers can thank the Irish, i guess.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

If i remember correctly according to its status, the European Commission can only work in the language of a member state. English speakers can thank the Irish, i guess.

There's Malta as well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Because of my job I often have to work with European regulations, which involves showing them to people outside Europe. Which I can only do in English, because like it or not, the international language of trade is English. If they stop publishing regulations in English it'll make a lot of jobs several times harder.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Mikl posted:

Because of my job I often have to work with European regulations, which involves showing them to people outside Europe. Which I can only do in English, because like it or not, the international language of trade is English. If they stop publishing regulations in English it'll make a lot of jobs several times harder.

English is by far the most widely spoken language in the EU, even without the UK, followed by German. There is nothing to suggest that the EU will stop using it as their primary working language. There might be some places that currently use French as their official working language, but that's mostly because the French are very insecure about their language and general standing in the EU and therefore need those symbols to pander to their "Grande Nation" complex.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

English is by far the most widely spoken language in the EU, even without the UK, followed by German. There is nothing to suggest that the EU will stop using it as their primary working language. There might be some places that currently use French as their official working language, but that's mostly because the French are very insecure about their language and general standing in the EU and therefore need those symbols to pander to their "Grande Nation" complex.

Several hundred years of French being the language of diplomacy and international politics probably has nothing to do with it either.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Several hundred years of French being the language of diplomacy and international politics probably has nothing to do with it either.
It's not institutional inertia that's keeping French around, it's French hissyfits. If they had accepted their place in history after WW2, French would have the same standing as Italian.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not institutional inertia that's keeping French around, it's French hissyfits. If they had accepted their place in history after WW2, French would have the same standing as Italian.

Oui :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

why is better enforced dumbass copyright segmentation good?

Perhaps he managed to secure exclusive rights for something so he directly benefits from that BS. :v: