Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

HanabaL03 posted:

Multiple critics who have already seen this episode have stated that tonight's is one of the best of the series.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tonight I'm going to hopefully get my partner into watching the show, so I may end up missing out on the rest of the season with you guys if she enjoys it

Just remember that I said "Yeah, LOST and The Leftovers really messed a lot of people up" when the screen goes to black, no matter what happens

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Come on Caleb the arthritic dog, it's time for you to steal the spotlight. I'm pretty sure we didn't even get a name for that black dog in seasons 1 and 2.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HanabaL03 posted:

Multiple critics who have already seen this episode have stated that tonight's is one of the best of the series.

:woop:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Onomarchus posted:

I'm pretty sure we didn't even get a name for that black dog in seasons 1 and 2.

Kevin the third.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That dog was one of the best characters in the series- loyal enough to make sure Kevin was okay, smart enough to get the Hell away from him

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Let's go!!!!!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Hereeee we go

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Sick pilot callback

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

HanabaL03 posted:

But it's a Laurie episode!

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Interesting music choice for the credits.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lol Dharma van. Nice.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

drat, Laurie :catstare:

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

gently caress. No music either. God drat.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

RIP

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:vince:

E: also, the joy in Nora's voice when she said okay to Matt. :3:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 22, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

gently caress, that was a bummer of an episode. :negative:

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Jesus that was like a brick to the chest. And yeah that no music at the end was brutal goddamn. I am really going to miss this show when it ends I can't remember the last time a show was such an emotional gut punch. The young pope was intense like that but in a different way. drat that was a heavy episode but so so good

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

my favorite show ever, no ifs and or (hot kevin christ) butts about it

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

also the music again kills it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vLiJIgVlRQ

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Given the cold open's focus on Laurie going all in and then changing her mind at the last second, I'm going to hold out hope that wasn't the end of her story.

But the odds aren't good. Jesus, what an episode.

Shoutouts to Today's Special

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

JethroMcB posted:

Given the cold open's focus on Laurie going all in and then changing her mind at the last second, I'm going to hold out hope that wasn't the end of her story.

But the odds aren't good. Jesus, what an episode.

Shoutouts to Today's Special

Holy poo poo I remember that. Not all of it but I remember the plaid hat and the goose and the rainbow. Man this show...

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
God drat. When that music finally kicks in, you know the emotions about to pop off.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

this show makes it seem like it's absolutely effortless to film multiple heartbreaking conversations. It's unbelievable this show isn't more recognized as a high point of modern teevee.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The cold open of Laurie's suicide attempt is exactly how mine went. I was 15, took a bunch of pills, wrote a note... then after nothing seemed to be happening, drank ipecac syrup to puke it all up.

And yet, the scene didn't hit me as hard as I was expecting, nor her ultimate suicide at the end of the episode. I wonder what that means.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

God drat. When that music finally kicks in, you know the emotions about to pop off.

That was also a high point of :lost: the theme music was always used perfectly for important scenes.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I'm half-surprised this show doesn't have those 13 Reasons Why warnings on it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Gravediggaz in the opening credits was hilariously grim in retrospect.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 22, 2017

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

Onomarchus posted:

I'm half-surprised this show doesn't have those 13 Reasons Why warnings on it.

The fan subreddit stickied a post with suicide prevention resources after the episode aired because I guess it was hitting some folks really hard:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheLeftovers/comments/6ckvhm/official_mod_post_heres_information_regarding_the/

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It was hard to watch. That phone call was brutal.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I was all teary-eyed and feeling cathartic from her conversation with Kevin and was like "that's a sweet ending" and then it shows her on the boat and I yelled out loud, "NOOOOO"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
"In an episode that opened w 1800-SUICIDE, showed Laurie trying to kill herself, had Nora describe exactly how you kill yourself while scuba diving, and closed w Laurie going diving...maybe she's still alive" - a poster in this thread

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Boywhiz88 posted:

"In an episode that opened w 1800-SUICIDE, showed Laurie trying to kill herself, had Nora describe exactly how you kill yourself while scuba diving, and closed w Laurie going diving...maybe she's still alive" - a poster in this thread

Also Laurie branding herself as Judas, then being promptly reminded that Judas killed himself.

Or just sort of burst open depending on what Gospel you're reading.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Why was Laurie suicidal though...

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

Her life was all about helping people and the people she cares most about have all gone full crazy and she will never be able to help them.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Is Nora gone?

We're all gone, Kevin.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Laurie talking to the dog saying "I borrowed your pills" was really creepy to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

She lost her child to the Departure, and -- despite her training -- the only solution she could ever come up with is suicide. That's why she kills herself in this episode, and why she joined a suicide cult in the first place.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 22, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Even after turning against the GR, I think Laurie hasn't fully let go of the idea that the world is over and done with now that the departure's happened, and that what's left on Earth is pointless. "We're all gone" feels like a nod to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Wiltsghost posted:

Laurie talking to the dog saying "I borrowed your pills" was really creepy to me.

I'd talk to that doggo any time. Borrowed pills or not.

• Locked thread