Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
almost certainly he failed his classes normally and is making the whole thing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

canyoneer posted:

There are a lot of funny bits in there, but I thought the best part was that he thinks by being a college dropout, he's destined to be the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.
And then he says that during his college experience, he never went to class but just stayed home and read the books instead.

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard because he and (childhood friend & fellow student) Paul Allen had already started blowing people's minds with great software, and wanted to start getting paid for it. (Side note, met Steve Ballmer at Harvard too)
Zuckerberg dropped out because he got rich over the summer with his company (made of trusted peers he met at Harvard), so he kept rolling with it.

He didn't go to class. And he doesn't have a product he's already getting rich off of.
Way to miss the point, kid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Assuming he's a traditional student, he would unfortunately be in the highest risk age range for the onset of severe mental illness.

Yep. I wasn't being sarcastic there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

There are a lot of funny bits in there, but I thought the best part was that he thinks by being a college dropout, he's destined to be the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.
And then he says that during his college experience, he never went to class but just stayed home and read the books instead.

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard because he and (childhood friend & fellow student) Paul Allen had already started blowing people's minds with great software, and wanted to start getting paid for it. (Side note, met Steve Ballmer at Harvard too)
Zuckerberg dropped out because he got rich over the summer with his company (made of trusted peers he met at Harvard), so he kept rolling with it.

He didn't go to class. And he doesn't have a product he's already getting rich off of.

Let's also not forget that "Harvard Dropout" is in and of itself far more prestigious than "University of Maryland dropout"

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
GWM; spotted today, outside the coffee shop I was in: A junkie raiding the bucket ashtray things on the outside tables, in order to nick the butts and presumably scavenge the tobacco left on them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn't know it was actually possible for your jaw to literally drop involuntarily.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

Why are most people unable to become successful entrepreneurs?

Because they don’t persevere.

quote:

Is it insanely difficult to become an entrepreneur from scratch?

Not if you want it badly enough.

Someone introduce MLMs to this kid, he's a BWM hall of famer in the making.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

canyoneer posted:

But Paul Allen never went to Harvard? (He went to WSU and dropped out).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"I have learned that there are only two real emotions in life: love and anger."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a quote directly from Donnie loving Darko of all things?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Breetai posted:

"I have learned that there are only two real emotions in life: love and anger."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a quote directly from Donnie loving Darko of all things?

I can 100% guarantee that this dude loves Donnie Darko.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jack2142 posted:

But Paul Allen never went to Harvard? (He went to WSU and dropped out).

Yeah you're right. Paul went to a fancy private school with Bill

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Motronic posted:

Yep. I wasn't being sarcastic there.

Didn't Chris McCandless of "Into the Wild" fame do the same thing? I think he dropped out, sold everything, and went on his road trip to "find himself."

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

BW(Parents')Money:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/valedictorian-university-maryland-drops-out-school-two-managadze

I was going to bold a bunch of passages in the letter he wrote, but just read it.

It's long, but holy poo poo this kid has a terminal combination of dumb and smug.

(My favorite part is when he asks his parents to not be mad at him for dropping out after they paid all of his tuition because he needs a place to live while he looks for investors for his startup.)

Make sure to click his Youtube link to a video of him rapping about entrepreneurship.

Working with the admins to see if I can get the thread title field lengthened for this

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pig slut lisa posted:

Working with the admins to see if I can get the thread title field lengthened for this

Make it the mouseover text for the BFC subforum

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

BW(Parents')Money:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/valedictorian-university-maryland-drops-out-school-two-managadze

I was going to bold a bunch of passages in the letter he wrote, but just read it.

It's long, but holy poo poo this kid has a terminal combination of dumb and smug.

(My favorite part is when he asks his parents to not be mad at him for dropping out after they paid all of his tuition because he needs a place to live while he looks for investors for his startup.)

Make sure to click his Youtube link to a video of him rapping about entrepreneurship.

the_first_manic_episode.txt

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Best part of that screed is that he ended it with the titles of three recent rap albums (structured as a series of single sentence paragraphs) and he clearly thought it was some sort of profound statement.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

monster on a stick posted:

Didn't Chris McCandless of "Into the Wild" fame do the same thing? I think he dropped out, sold everything, and went on his road trip to "find himself."

He certainly found the Grim Reaper.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
He compares himself to Cortes. Maybe that would be a valid comparison if he had an army and was facing natives armed with sharpened mangoes to plunder their silver and gold. Of course it is just a long winded self justification for failing every single paper.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

He compares himself to Cortes. Maybe that would be a valid comparison if he had an army and was facing natives armed with sharpened mangoes to plunder their silver and gold. Of course it is just a long winded self justification for failing every single paper.

Perhaps he inadvertently unleashed a plague on his fellow students?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Some people on reddit are saying the university (UMD) does not have valedictorian status.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UMD/comments/6cj20e/valedictorian_gio_is_a_fraud_there_are_no/
https://www.reddit.com/r/UMD/comments/6cis39/the_valedictorian_who_dropped_out_2_weeks_before/

https://imgur.com/EihJUBv

one guy on reddit:

quote:

This kid is all bullshit, trying to turn his excuse as to why he failed out of school into a publicity stunt. I had several classes with him and believe me, he did not pass because he was smart or taught everything to himself.
He passed because he freeloaded off of others who gave a poo poo. Hate group projects, man.

This guy sums it up nicely:

quote:

... this is one of the biggest pieces of self aggrandizing schlock written by someone who was drunk and reading too many self help and inspirational poster websites.

Whether it's real or fake, it's one big hype for sure.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The big reason it's fake is because UMD has something called a Medalist, who got a higher GPA with a triple major: https://www.commencement.umd.edu/university-medalist.html

So this kid is a complete loser.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

The big reason it's fake is because UMD has something called a Medalist, who got a higher GPA with a triple major: https://www.commencement.umd.edu/university-medalist.html

So this kid is a complete loser.

bwm:

quote:

Ridgway’s ... ambition to become a theoretical physicist.

But kidding aside, good for him and I hope he goes a lot further than the "valedictorian" idiot.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I know a theoretical physicist who clears over half a million a year in royalties from his textbooks. Clearly everyone should publish physics 101 textbooks. Very GWM.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

Make it the mouseover text for the BFC subforum

Haha that's a good idea. I'll see if I can.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ohgodwhat posted:

I know a theoretical physicist who clears over half a million a year in royalties from his textbooks. Clearly everyone should publish physics 101 textbooks. Very GWM.

That theoretical physicist's name? Albert Einstein.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

That theoretical physicist's name? Albert Einstein.

I hope Einstein got more money than a half mil a year for the whole, you know, relativity thing but I actually don't know

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Why is it every American child's dream to "be a CEO" these days? Why is every manchild working out of Starbucks or their friend's bedroom a "chief something or other"?

I would have thought a more concrete dream like "own my own _____ company" or "create the world's best ______" would be the sort of thing people aim for, instead of a meaningless title. Do people dream of being middle managers as well?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Weatherman posted:

Why is it every American child's dream to "be a CEO" these days? Why is every manchild working out of Starbucks or their friend's bedroom a "chief something or other"?

I would have thought a more concrete dream like "own my own _____ company" or "create the world's best ______" would be the sort of thing people aim for, instead of a meaningless title. Do people dream of being middle managers as well?

Getting a position in which my inferiors do all the work, and I get a massive golden parachute (on the stockholder's dime) if I get fired for my admitted complete lack of ability or interest sounds pretty sweet to me.

It's kind of like being a feudal overlord, except I can't think of a CEO who got lynched by angry serfs.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 22, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I read an email like that once from a hippie-like emotionally unstable coworker who had worked maybe two years straight of crunch time and had real drug addiction problems and eventually up and left one day to go live in some commune.

So, uh, good luck kid. Hope you find a doctor sooner than later.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Weatherman posted:

Maybe a lot of kids that got raised by Boomers that only did office work and never got exposed to how blue collar folks go about life? Even then I guess the kids would want to 'own their own machine shop'. My apprentice is like that. He barely knows how to run a manual lathe and mill and can't program the machine I'm training him on yet, but he wants to own his own shop. I'm content to let someone else deal with all that business bullshit and I just keep my head down and plug away.

The idea of having someone else do all the work and you get all the profit is pretty nice, but in the end, being the boss has a lot of responsibility. Keeping your employees fed seems like a lot of weight to bear on one's shoulders as a small business owner. I guess some people don't see it that way.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Giving kids participation trophies has been shown in studies not to do anything for self-esteem, however it has taught kids that the only winner is first place and everyone else is a loser. Couple this with america's love of the just world fallacy and a heapin' helpin' of white privilege and there ya go.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Weatherman posted:

One of my coworkers is a CEO and it just means he spends a lot of time dealing with accounting and biz dev instead of billable work.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

One of my coworkers is a CEO and it just means he spends a lot of time dealing with accounting and biz dev instead of billable work.

Sounds like your company is scumming titles to sound important more than anything. At my last job I was a ~systems analyst~ because we needed to sound cool and great to a client. Then I pointed out that generally systems analysts make 4-5 times what I was making and magically I wasn't one anymore :iiam:

e: Does your company happen to be a bank, because I know banks do that all the time. A bunch of our clients were banks and I had to wrangle databases full of employee information fairly often and it seems like every drat bank had 500 "Vice President"s because if your account is being handled by the ~vice president~ you must be super important!!!

e2: Also vice presidents seemed to be the ones that CC'd us on completely not-our-business-at-all email chains containing customers' full SSN's and entire account information the most often, that was always fun :allears:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 22, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Because it's basically a way to say "I want to be rich, and even if things go tits up, end up with millions more dollars."

None of them actually give a poo poo about doing the job.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Because it's basically a way to say "I want to be rich, and even if things go tits up, end up with millions more dollars."

None of them actually give a poo poo about doing the job.

I can't find it now but there's this old pictures for sad children comic where a guy is asked about what he wants in life and it's "I'm surrounded by people, each one comes up to me and congratulates me on the awesome thing I did, but I can't remember what it is"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't need a safety net.

I really need a place to stay before my start ups get funded.

I don't even have money for food right now.

I’m literally almost always broke.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

I don't need a safety net.

I really need a place to stay before my start ups get funded.

I don't even have money for food right now.

I’m literally almost always broke.

Half of me wants to give this kid the biggest wedgie of his life for being such a dumbass and the other half of me is just real sad that he's clearly got mental problems and sounds like he's not going to get treatment for them and will probably wind up on the street begging :sigh:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I am on the cusp of taking Silicon Valley by storm. If you have any doubts, read this letter I sent my mommy and daddy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
He can like still go back to school and take that final semester after his untreated mental illness gets treated, right?

I've known so many people who can't stand being anything but their own boss and they are almost all failures. A friend of mine lost his home and business and almost destroyed his family trying to be his own boss. Now that he's just another cog in the corporate wheel everyone is much happier, although ignoring his daughters for 10 years has had the expected effect on their behavior.

I love being a faceless entity. Corporate America, cover me with your darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I'm finally caught up on this thread and I know this was a few pages ago but here's a service animal memo out of Barnard University:

It is not appropriate to ask what a service animal is.

E: the email and phone number weren't student's, it's the "peer support" office. But redacted nonetheless.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 22, 2017