Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Modern Simpsons is still better than Modern South Park because at least whoever is still watching The Simpsons doesn't feel the need to spam clips on Facebook after every episode and act like their dead gay show is still in any way clever or insightful.

I don't want to dog pile but maybe your friends on Facebook just suck. I don't know anyone who posts about south park anywhere now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't want to dog pile but maybe your friends on Facebook just suck. I don't know anyone who posts about south park anywhere now

Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, ever thought of that???

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
drat Marge just straight-up kicks a dog in the last episode.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

the only thing I remember about South Park in recent memory was how the creators were getting scared of doing satire once Trump got into office and then were going to try doing something else with their new season, and it's been a few months since then.

Lmao seriously? Bunch of loving pussies

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

pretty soft girl posted:

Lmao seriously? Bunch of loving pussies

I think so, but keep in mind my memory may be cheating.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think so, but keep in mind my memory may be cheating.

Either way if they're completely staying away from trump it's pretty laughable considering they're the show that visibly and sharply went from crude fart and murder jokes to the weekly Stone and Parker soapbox where-there-are-no-safe-targets

Granted I stopped watching ten years ago so I have no idea if they pivoted away from that but if now is the time they decided to stick their tails between their legs just lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pretty soft girl posted:

Either way if they're completely staying away from trump it's pretty laughable considering they're the show that visibly and sharply went from crude fart and murder jokes to the weekly Stone and Parker soapbox where-there-are-no-safe-targets

Granted I stopped watching ten years ago so I have no idea if they pivoted away from that but if now is the time they decided to stick their tails between their legs just lol

They did the same thing during the Bush administration. Their whole thing is they don't want to jump in if everyone else is already doing it. Basically comedy hipsters/contrarians. Goons should understand perfectly

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

pretty soft girl posted:

Trump is possibly the safest target and maybe beyond parody.

It's funny that South Park put a lot of love into their updated title sequence while The Simpsons half-assed it.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
South Park's last season seemed to be like a where-are-we-now thing. the Boys as Matt and Trey analogues react to the world around them like they've done from the beginning, but the world they've arrived in seems so radically different from where they embarked from and the attitudes about comedy and what's acceptable and valued in popular culture have steadily shifted. the Boys aren't the arbiters of cool anymore and must contend with younger more connected kids who speak a different language and think of South Park as antiquated media. the season ends with an affirmation that they do not necessarily understand youth culture anymore but respect that it's a different voice. whoever said earlier that the Simpsons should remain firmly planted in the quasi 90's while still acknowledging that things change rapidly has the right idea on how to make a good cartoon

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think it wasn't nice when they recast Lunchlady Doris and thankfully they don't dare pull that poo poo with Lionel Hutz etc.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Homer ruined Marge's life, that's the plot of the show now right?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Bart falls in with an alt-right group and makes anonymous bomb threats to Milhouse. Meanwhile, Marge continues her adventures through the multiverse and helps the Flash give Batman the heads up about the upcoming series of DC Comics-based movies.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Homer, driving drunk after a day at Moe's, fatally injures Lenny, who while dying reveals his darkest secret. Lisa hangs out with Justin Bieber (guest starring.)

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Mozi posted:

Homer, driving drunk after a day at Moe's, fatally injures Lenny, who while dying reveals his darkest secret. Lisa hangs out with Justin Bieber (guest starring.)

Look, I'm not going to watch the episode so if you can just tell me his darkest secret now that would be swell.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah I kind of want to watch that now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I would get sued for spoiling it but let's just say he was involved in the Kennedy assassination and leave it at that. Also he's a cylon.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Mozi posted:

I would get sued for spoiling it but let's just say he was involved in the Kennedy assassination and leave it at that. Also he's a cylon.

Lenny or Kennedy?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I've said too much already, you'll have to tune in to Fox to find out!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tomato Burger posted:

Lenny or Kennedy?

They are in fact one and the same

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

They are in fact one and the same

Lennedy! I knew it!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
My favorite Lenny gag is that everyone speaks about him like he's super wealthy, but whenever his living situation is actually depicted or discussed he lives like poo poo, alone, in dilapidated homes. And then one episode we find out he lies about things like having a wife and suddenly the inconsistency seems more like an elaborate character trait

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

They did the same thing during the Bush administration. Their whole thing is they don't want to jump in if everyone else is already doing it. Basically comedy hipsters/contrarians. Goons should understand perfectly

They drew Clinton in like a dozen times during his administration then wouldn't do Bush even once. It was weird. It was like he wasn't even the president. But then it started to go too far in the other direction with constant reference to the war in Iraq (only after it became universally unpopular and was no longer a controversial sentiment).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

drat Marge just straight-up kicks a dog in the last episode.
mean-spirited stuff on comedy can be tolerable if it's funny, but seeing as the simpsons hasn't been consistently funny for almost 20 years, it's safe to say that this scene wasn't funny

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW, South Park kind of stopped being a preachy mouthpiece for Matt & Trey a few years ago. They still do topical humor but it's less about taking a stance on a polarizing topic and more about just having some fun with current events. It's definitely better than it was 6+ years ago when it was at it's peak of insufferable preachiness, but I think many people tuned out at that point and will not notice.

The most recent season they attempted to do an entire 10-episode story arc, but it fell apart due in part to the fact that they still tried to write it the way they always have, each episode produced entirely in the week before it airs. They admitted this was a failure though. The previous season (from 2015) had a nice balance of continuity and self-contained plot elements though and it was refreshing. So, say what you will about South Park, they addressed their biggest problem of being a soapbox and also have taken some big risks to rejuvenate the show.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 22, 2017

DaveMatthewsIsAPedo
Apr 9, 2009
Q

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the Faith Plus One episode of South Park is great

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still love "Scott Tenorman must die" but South Park is definitely another show I wish would get mercy killed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A couple of South Park episodes from the last ~5 years that are worth checking out if you abandoned the show a while ago:

I Should Have Never Gone Ziplining
A Nightmare on Facetime
Faith Hilling
Handicar
Grounded Vindaloop
You're Not Yelping
Tweek x Craig

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

FWIW, South Park kind of stopped being a preachy mouthpiece for Matt & Trey a few years ago. They still do topical humor but it's less about taking a stance on a polarizing topic and more about just having some fun with current events. It's definitely better than it was 6+ years ago when it was at it's peak of insufferable preachiness, but I think many people tuned out at that point and will not notice.

The most recent season they attempted to do an entire 10-episode story arc, but it fell apart due in part to the fact that they still tried to write it the way they always have, each episode produced entirely in the week before it airs. They admitted this was a failure though. The previous season (from 2015) had a nice balance of continuity and self-contained plot elements though and it was refreshing. So, say what you will about South Park, they addressed their biggest problem of being a soapbox and also have taken some big risks to rejuvenate the show.

Regardless of their middle of the road preachiness my problem with South Park is that its just never been that funny or clever. It feels they come up with a basic idea that could lead to funny stuff, but never seem to know how to actually pull it off properly and stretch out that funny concept until its really not funny at all. Like they have some kind of zany premise like giant Guinea Pigs attack the town because Homeland Security cracked down on Peruvian Flute bands and that's... kind of it, the zaniness of the plot is the joke and they don't go much further than that. It also feels like they call-back too much to well know plots or jokes from previous episodes and have too many running gags, which also a problem I have with contemporary Simpsons.

It might be an effect of its rapid production, for something like Rick and Morty or Golden Age Simpsons I get the impression they would spend a huge amount of time hammering out the really funny stuff from any given concept and sharpening their delivery before anything was finished.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bart gets hooked on the new hit videogame 'Mower Watch' and his already struggling grades start to suffer. Principal Skinner intervenes only to find that his military experience makes him surprisingly adept at shooting troublemakers in cyberspace.

Meanwhile, Lisa hopes to gain popularity by recording her own podcast on her Mapplebook, and though she struggles to find anyone more interesting to talk to than Homer, it turns out that Marge has a hidden talent for getting people to talk. Guest stars Jeremy Renner.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Groundskeeper Willie becomes Springfield's hottest celebrity amidst the media uproar of the Scottish Independence Referendum, but with Lisa's help he manages to hide his true lineage to save the spirit of Scotland. While Springfield is overcome with Scottish Sickness, Bart and Homer devise a plan to get rich by selling updraft-resistant kilts to the millions of Americans celebrating their Scottish heritage. Guest stars Nicola Sturgeon and Billy Connolly.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

When Professor Frink accidentally tears a wormhole into time and space centered directly on Springfield, the Simpsons find themselves presented with the unique opportunity to change the course of their lives. While Bart opts to hand his younger self the answers to every quiz up until the fourth grade, Lisa tries to change the future by telling government authorities about various environmental disasters that will happen in the coming years. At the same time, Marge and Homer start to discover that their lives might have been very different had they not met - a discovery that puts Bart, Lisa and Maggie's existence in jeopardy!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It's a double-barrel of chuckles when Dr Hibbert is reunited with his cousin Eric Foreman (Guest Star: Omar Epps), a successful neurologist from Princeton, New Jersey. All Eric wants is to run a private practise in a small town, but between Marge's neurotic behaviour, Principal Skinner's oedipus complex and the aggravating Australian that keeps injuring Homer (Guest Star: Jesse Spencer), Eric is forced to choose between his cousin and his big-city lifestyle.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

When Bart pulls down Ralph's pants in front of a PTA meeting, the folk of Springfield are outraged! Lisa and Marge form a protest group, the 'Ripjoos' (Ralph's Pants Justice Warriors), but they soon disagree about whether they're protesting about Ralph's exposed 'dingaling' or Bart's sexual assault. Meanwhile, Homer forms his own no-pants-protest, accompanied by Lenny, Carl and Moe, to show the world that men have the right to dress any way they want to - without society shaming them. Guest starring Jason Russell and Jeffrey Jones.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I still love "Scott Tenorman must die" but South Park is definitely another show I wish would get mercy killed.

I'd they just switched to all rpg video games or did telltale ones it'd probably still work since they seem to love that

The show they're pretty clearly getting bored with

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Are the above episodes real because they sound plausible

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pretty sure those aren't real just because it feels like some thought went into them

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
He's doing it wrong anyway, he's meant to intersperse the fake synopsis with real ones like that notorious Ghost of Marlon Brando one to keep us in a state of terrified uncertainty.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

Like they have some kind of zany premise like giant Guinea Pigs attack the town because Homeland Security cracked down on Peruvian Flute bands and that's... kind of it, the zaniness of the plot is the joke and they don't go much further than that.

But the joke in those episodes is Craig telling the main kids that they enable all these wacky adventures to happen every week. They can just walk away at any point and things won't get worse/sillier. They're to blame.

And then he's the chosen one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

A couple of South Park episodes from the last ~5 years that are worth checking out if you abandoned the show a while ago:

I Should Have Never Gone Ziplining
A Nightmare on Facetime
Faith Hilling
Handicar
Grounded Vindaloop
You're Not Yelping
Tweek x Craig

Tweek x Craig is actually my favorite episode of South Park, I also liked the Insecurity episode but thought it was more flawed.

Maybe the last season would have been more coherent if the election results weren't so crazy in the real world.