Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Another ynab4 holdout here. I'd love to see another competitor in the space. I don't care about imports. All I want is YNAB4, except fast. Maybe a more fully functional mobile experience (change budgeted amounts, etc), but not at the expense of a more complicated UI.

However, being honest, I'm cheap and also hate subscriptions, so I'm not a guaranteed sale. If you offered something like $12/yr, $50 lifetime, I'd consider that, but I did wait until Ynab4 was on sale for $15.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but if your target market is "graduates" of YNAB, it's worth considering that some of those people are loathe to pay for things like that. On the other other hand, they aren't selling more YNAB4 subscriptions, so maybe it doesn't make sense to consider that a competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

No Butt Stuff posted:

If you made a nYNAB that didn't gently caress up credit card refunds I would switch.

Re-add them as Checking accounts and that problem is eliminated. No feature loss either. Create the new accounts as checking, move all transactions, then delete the old credit card accouts.

Bingo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Has anybody asked the Financier guy about possibly going open source? If he's effectively done with the project it might be worth seeing if there's room for collaboration on that.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

Has anybody asked the Financier guy about possibly going open source? If he's effectively done with the project it might be worth seeing if there's room for collaboration on that.
On the one hand, it'd be really great if he went open source and the project thrived-- it could mean more updates, more features added, faster bug fixes etc. God knows it would be nice to have an open source personal finance app that was actually usable, with modern styling and mobile access.

On the other hand, I'm worried that going open source would just mean that the app would stagnate the way say, Gnucash has. I would gladly pay a sub for a proper ynab4 alternative-- I'm resigned to paying for nYNAB for now because it's still working for me even in its current stripped-down form, but I wish I could have something better, something with more flexibility.

Then again, I know that extra flexibility means more complexity, and means it's harder for finance newbies to get started and keep going with whatever new app they're using. I know how popular the auto-import poo poo is, too, despite all the problems and bugs it encounters-- back in the day, I'd have laughed myself sick if you'd told me I'd actually LIKE doing manual entry. I kind of feel like any personal finance app that wants to charge for subscriptions needs auto entry if they want to grow their market at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In the past he promised to go open-source, if he were to abandon it. He says he didn't, but apparently doesn't have any interest on continuing development. v:v:v

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

What do you guys hate so much about nYnab? I'm genuinely curious as I've only used nYnab and besides some things being counterintuitive, I generally like it alot.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

FateFree posted:

What do you guys hate so much about nYnab? I'm genuinely curious as I've only used nYnab and besides some things being counterintuitive, I generally like it alot.

Personally, it's not that I hate it, but that 4 does what I want (with the exception of being slow and clunky), and that I've already bought it.

I'm sure NYNAB is fine and I'd adapt to using it, but I try to avoid recurring subscriptions of any sort. $50 a year isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I bought YNAB4 for $15 once. NYNAB also seems like it is more focused on new users. I use some of the features they took out (the red arrow to float reimbursable expenses from month to month. I have enough in reserve that I'm not worried about handling it this way), and some of the new features they added seem either actively harmful (credit card handling) or just not that useful to me (goals, auto-importing).

I also really believe in manually entering transactions. For me, having to look at the budget when I buy something is a good reminder to spend money thoughtfully. I'm not sure why they got away from doing things this way, except that it was hard for new people to stick to. I'm aware that no one is forcing me to auto import, but that's a major part of their pitch to upgrade people.

Also, the upbeat, vaguely cult-y feel of the company kind of puts me on edge.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 10, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The too-cute-by-half loading messages need to go the way of the dinosaurs. YNAB is hardly the only culprit here, but damned if I don't roll my eyes every time I switch budgets and am confronted with stale, unfunny memes.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Another 4 holdout that enters her transactions manually. I really resent the idea of having to pay monthly for a budgeting software. I bought for $40,
it does almost everything I want, and the mobile app is useful

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I moved to nYNAB happily because auto-import is everything to me. I had a hack-ish auto import on half my accounts that ran on cmd line for YNAB 4.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

You can still manually enter transactions in nYNAB. That's how I do it.

I've used nYNAB since it launched and it's generally been fine, it's just annoying how little they've seemed to do with it. One of the big "reasons" they gave for switching models was so they could roll out features faster. Have there been any at all? I use toolkit for ynab so I can't remember what is from that and what is in the app itself.

The biggest feature I miss is being able to + or - in a field. Toolkit has this, but it sometimes stops working and I'll have to refresh to get it working again.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

They haven't added any new features but they've ported over a couple things from ynab4 months after the fact so there's that

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
This discussion is super helpful for me at least. What I'm hearing:

- Monthly payment plan would drive people away.
- nYNAB credit card handling generates frustration.
- Biggest source of frustration is stagnation.
- Mobile sync is valuable.
- BFC goers think manual entry is the bees knees (I actually primarily use OFX imports and manually enter almost nothing)
- nYNAB style goals are useful.
- Feature parity with YNAB4 is missing from other options and would be desirable.
- Anxiety over YNAB4 stopping working is shared.

Which basically sounds like there's some space for potentially one time cost software, but it's hard to sustain that when hosting an online service (lol, these forums).

So maybe it's right for someone who isn't me.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

- BFC goers think manual entry is the bees knees (I actually primarily use OFX imports and manually enter almost nothing)
- Feature parity with YNAB4 is missing from other options and would be desirable.

Which basically sounds like there's some space for potentially one time cost software, but it's hard to sustain that when hosting an online service (lol, these forums).

Monthly payment works for some, but yeah, include a 'lifetime' option that's about the cost of a five-year subscription.

I'm pretty happy with YNAB4; I can't think of any new features that it 'needs.'

I try very hard to enter each and every transaction on my phone; I've done this since the Palm Pilot days using third party software against Microsoft Money.

But the thing for me is, as soon as I wrapped my head around the 'YNAB Way,' my financial situation was revolutionized. The proactive 'assign your money' approach, instead of the classic 'see where your money went' approach is awesome.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

myron cope posted:

The biggest feature I miss is being able to + or - in a field.

This works, you just have to do it as a full calculation , you can't overwrite a value with +# and get the sum, it has to be #+#.

Also, credit card refunds work fine for me. Haven't had to do any weird moving of money to get them to work.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

thegreatcodfish posted:

This works, you just have to do it as a full calculation , you can't overwrite a value with +# and get the sum, it has to be #+#.

Also, credit card refunds work fine for me. Haven't had to do any weird moving of money to get them to work.

Huh, interesting. I guess toolkit just makes it work easier, i.e., I'm on a field, I +X, hit the down arrow, +X, hit the down arrow, +X, etc. Without Toolkit, I have to down arrow, right arrow +X, down arrow, right arrow, +X

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

TheCenturion posted:

But the thing for me is, as soon as I wrapped my head around the 'YNAB Way,' my financial situation was revolutionized. The proactive 'assign your money' approach, instead of the classic 'see where your money went' approach is awesome.

Exactly. Thinking ahead, except doing it without anticipating money you have not yet earned.

I would have trouble adjusting to software that didn't do that, and I think my ability to plan would suffer.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Just FYI re ofx imports, I've always been of two minds about them because processing them properly so that things fit into the right categories and payers are renamed correctly has always seemed like more work than entering things manually. Given robust tools for automatically mapping and renaming transactions (and even matching them to anything that's already been entered), I think I'd love to switch to importing.

I do know that ofx importing is generally shittily handled by financial software because most banks don't care about making it easy. Just getting downloads of your transactions from certain banks is like pulling teeth. I'm pretty sure that at least half of the reason why nYNAB charges monthly is because of the effort required to keep automatic importing working properly.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

babydonthurtme posted:

Just FYI re ofx imports, I've always been of two minds about them because processing them properly so that things fit into the right categories and payers are renamed correctly has always seemed like more work than entering things manually. Given robust tools for automatically mapping and renaming transactions (and even matching them to anything that's already been entered), I think I'd love to switch to importing.

I do know that ofx importing is generally shittily handled by financial software because most banks don't care about making it easy. Just getting downloads of your transactions from certain banks is like pulling teeth. I'm pretty sure that at least half of the reason why nYNAB charges monthly is because of the effort required to keep automatic importing working properly.

Having no small amount of experience integrating with other people's software, this is probably exactly right. The amount of person-time required to keep the biggest (and most consequential) financial firms' ofx import running probably starves new feature work.

Add in the risk of getting hacked and thousands of peoples' banking credentials being compromised and it seems like a huge risk worth very little to pursue.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
If someone wants to write up a comparison between YNAB4, nYNAB and Financier I'll gladly put it in the OP.

better than mama
Jan 26, 2009
Can you have 2 dates in nYNAB?
I just manually import my data since its so much easier (I have a lot of automatic transfers), and one of the biggest issues I have is sent date and revived date being a few days off. One of my bank accounts has no info on payee (just date and money) so I have a hard time making sure which transaction is which when the amount is the same.
I am hesitant to move to nYNAB for many reasons mentioned last page, and contemplating moving back to excel if nYNAB stops working.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

better than mama posted:

Can you have 2 dates in nYNAB?
I just manually import my data since its so much easier (I have a lot of automatic transfers), and one of the biggest issues I have is sent date and revived date being a few days off. One of my bank accounts has no info on payee (just date and money) so I have a hard time making sure which transaction is which when the amount is the same.
I am hesitant to move to nYNAB for many reasons mentioned last page, and contemplating moving back to excel if nYNAB stops working.

Nah, you can't have two dates in either nYNAB or the old version, afaik. If the two date issue is real important to you, it might indeed be better to move back to excel. Also sounds like you're boned wrt that bank account not giving payee info-- I thought all banks would at least have that in their exports. I really wish there wasn't this weird dark ages type poo poo going on with financial institutions, it's not like they don't have the data.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Not sure if this has been seen yet or not, but I don't care if a database outage makes you a better person, it's still a goddamn outage. This is why I can't jump to nYNAB from YNAB4 with a dealbreaker like this:

https://www.youneedabudget.com/postmortem-why-ynab-went-down-last-week-and-how-it-made-us-better/

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I have a real first world problem question.

Lets say I have certain categories that I am funding for very long term, like college savings etc. This is on top of a large emergency fund. It is getting to the point where it feels ridiculous to have this much stuff in a savings account without investing any of it, but investing it will mean random fluctuations to keep tracking.

How do others handle this? Like college savings we are talking about 15 years out, so I clearly shouldn't be just keeping it in cash. But I want my budget to show a steadily increasing amount I've set aside for my kids college.

I guess I could have a buffer category for market fluctuations, and do all the plus and minuses from there? I don't know.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

Lets say I have certain categories that I am funding for very long term, like college savings etc. This is on top of a large emergency fund. It is getting to the point where it feels ridiculous to have this much stuff in a savings account without investing any of it, but investing it will mean random fluctuations to keep tracking.

How do others handle this? Like college savings we are talking about 15 years out, so I clearly shouldn't be just keeping it in cash. But I want my budget to show a steadily increasing amount I've set aside for my kids college.

I guess I could have a buffer category for market fluctuations, and do all the plus and minuses from there? I don't know.

Just make it an off budget account and update the value at the end of the month or something. If it is a long term investment you don't need to know it's value up to the minute since you aren't using it for your day to day budget activities.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My long term things, like retirement, are budgeted for how much I contribute every month, and they go somewhere off budget. That could be my savings account, or IRA. For college savings, that's probably a 529.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Yup. YNAB is for tracking monthly spending; it's quite specifically not 'financial management' software like Microsoft Money, QuickBooks, or whatever.

YNAB is only for 'paycheque comes in, money goes out, make sure it's going where it needs to.' You can certainly bash things like what you'd like into YNAB; off-budget accounts, whatever.

See, as soon as you take that 'college fund' and invest it, it's not 'available money that's allocated towards long-term savings,' so shouldn't be in YNAB. If you can't go out and spend it, right now, YNAB isn't the tool to handle it.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Yup. YNAB is for tracking monthly spending; it's quite specifically not 'financial management' software like Microsoft Money, QuickBooks, or whatever.

YNAB is only for 'paycheque comes in, money goes out, make sure it's going where it needs to.' You can certainly bash things like what you'd like into YNAB; off-budget accounts, whatever.

See, as soon as you take that 'college fund' and invest it, it's not 'available money that's allocated towards long-term savings,' so shouldn't be in YNAB. If you can't go out and spend it, right now, YNAB isn't the tool to handle it.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Keeping loans (car and student for example) and some investments (not 401k or IRA) in off budget accounts can give you a better overall view of your net worth at the moment and is nice to look at.

YNAB is designed such that you can put as much effort into it as you want though, if you want to track every investment account and loan you have, you can. If you just want your checking account tracked, that is fine too. Do what makes sense and helps you.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Chin Strap posted:

Budget what you're depositing into this savings fund. Transfer the amount from your on-budget accounts to your off-budget savings/investment account. Once a month, update the balance in the off-budget account to account for interest/profit. Doing it the same day every month means that your reports will fairly accurately represent what's going on.

Step by step version:
1. Make a "College Fund" category. Budget the amount, per month, you'll be saving.
2. Transfer that amount from your on-budget (checking/cash) account to your off-budget savings/investment account.
3. Your budget now represents how much per month you're saving, and your off-budget account now represents the total savings.
4. Update the off-budget account with the interest/profit every now and then.
5. Repeat 2-4 as desired.
6. When you eventually use this fund, transfer it back to an on-budget account as income, and budget that amount towards College. Now spend it as needed.

You can do the same thing in reverse with, say, a car loan; off-budget account with a negative starting balance, then budgeted amounts and transfers to the off-budget account until the balance reaches $0. Doing this makes the "net worth" graph accurate and can provide good motivation to keep going.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Chin Strap posted:

1. You should put that money into a 529
2. Everyone else said it but just make it off budget and track moving money into that savings as a purchase and reconcile it every month

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sockser posted:

2. Everyone else said it but just make it off budget and track moving money into that savings as a purchase and reconcile it every month

I'm now just direct depositing to savings and doing one disbursement of $ into my operating (checking) account on the 1st of the month.

As far as YNAB knows, that savings account doesn't exist and my income is a big $x transfer on the 1st.

better than mama
Jan 26, 2009

thegreatcodfish posted:

Keeping loans (car and student for example) and some investments (not 401k or IRA) in off budget accounts can give you a better overall view of your net worth at the moment and is nice to look at.

Is there a reason you recommend keeping retirement accounts off of YNAB?
I was having issues with all of my savings accounts off budget and thanks to this thread, moved it on budget which gave me more flexibility with saving for semi-long term stuff like next car purchase and house down payment.
I currently have an emergency fund off budget along with my loans and retirement accounts. Since 15-30% of our current income goes to retirement, if didn't have them on there my net worth would be increasing super slow. So far it has been the biggest motivating factor for us to catch up.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
There's an update downloading for iOS YNAB app. Says it's in preparation for the new Dropbox API.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

better than mama posted:

Is there a reason you recommend keeping retirement accounts off of YNAB?
I was having issues with all of my savings accounts off budget and thanks to this thread, moved it on budget which gave me more flexibility with saving for semi-long term stuff like next car purchase and house down payment.
I currently have an emergency fund off budget along with my loans and retirement accounts. Since 15-30% of our current income goes to retirement, if didn't have them on there my net worth would be increasing super slow. So far it has been the biggest motivating factor for us to catch up.

For me it is just so that I don't fiddle with it. If I see it drop a decent bit I might be tempted to make changes, and that is a good way to screw up your retirement savings. It can also make it too easy to skew your perspective on your current net worth.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

There's an update downloading for iOS YNAB app. Says it's in preparation for the new Dropbox API.

Same for Android

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I really expected them to use the API switch as and opportunity to kill it. Hats off to them then.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

thegreatcodfish posted:

For me it is just so that I don't fiddle with it. If I see it drop a decent bit I might be tempted to make changes, and that is a good way to screw up your retirement savings. It can also make it too easy to skew your perspective on your current net worth.

I make a point of checking and updating my 401k/IRA balances only quarterly. I was driving myself nuts checking and updating every time I got curious, and getting nervous every time there was a small dip from the previous week, even though I'm not likely to switch anything.

But I think perspective on your net worth goes both ways--you should consider yourself to be worth more (financially) than the few thousand dollars of liquid cash you keep handy.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

epenthesis posted:

I make a point of checking and updating my 401k/IRA balances only quarterly. I was driving myself nuts checking and updating every time I got curious, and getting nervous every time there was a small dip from the previous week, even though I'm not likely to switch anything.

But I think perspective on your net worth goes both ways--you should consider yourself to be worth more (financially) than the few thousand dollars of liquid cash you keep handy.

Fair enough. I probably shouldn't have made the 'not 401k or IRA' statement so blanket. The beauty of YNAB is you can do what works for you :)

Just as a bit of a testimonial, I've been using YNAB and nYNAB for 5+ years. I've managed to pay for a divorce and pay for school with minimal student loans (some funds are tied up in the divorce still) while keeping my net worth positive while working part time. I couldn't have done it without some sort of budget tool, and YNAB was the first one that clicked for me. I see people bitch about the new version, and it does work different than the old one, but the concepts still work and it is still a very solid product and the support team is pretty responsive if you do need help.

/shill

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Just saw this on reddit, re: the YNAB4 update

YNAB posted:

Hey YNABers!
Tami, YNAB Community Manager here. Just wanted to drop a quick note in here to clarify the changes in this update. As most of you know, Dropbox has API changes coming in June that would have rendered YNAB 4 unable to sync. With today's app store update, YNAB Classic (iOS & Android) will now use the new Dropbox API, meaning that it will continue working after the Dropbox changes go live. Woohoo!
Let us know (help@ynab.com) if you have any problems with it, but you shouldn't have to reauthenticate. It should "just work". :-)

Stay tuned for a full-length blog post coming soon for more details.

Nice to see confirmation come in. I just recently got my terrible-with-money girlfriend to start using YNAB and it's been an extremely positive change so far. I'm glad that we'll be able to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Good on them. That's a company still thinking about its customers despite whatever people think about their new products.