Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
That was a great show. The UK championship kinda stole the show but Asukas double pin and Gargano getting murdered twice were perfect.

Best match Bobbys had in nxt too. I love his ott selling and that finish owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've wanted Dean to do that "Hit DDT, keep the arms locked, pull them back up, gently caress YOU, second DDT." thing forever. Roode finally did it, so. He is cool.

Like, in all seriousness, I really didn't buy Roode as anything except the dude with meme music, but that match really solidified him as a very strong champ to me and Hideo was a big part of that.

His first win against Nakamura was kinda BS, but besides that it's refreshing that his championship reign has mostly just been him being really fuckin' good.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 22, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Itami vs Roode was fantastic. They told this awesome story of Roode not taking Itami seriously at all and Itami slowly going to all his greatest hits and slapping the poo poo out of Roode. That match ruled really hard.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, that was the first time I've really been impressed by Roode in the ring. For a guy his age, it'd be easy to just coast on the music and heel posturing, but he brought his working boots for that match and it was really drat good.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

I enjoyed Roode and Itami calling back to the finish of Roode/Nakamura 1, to the point where I bought the near fall so hard I yelled "fuckin bullshit" like the Iron Sheik. Then Itami kicked out of Roode's finisher and boy did I have egg on my face. Great match.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I still don't see AOP's upside.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

VJeff posted:

I've wanted Dean to do that "Hit DDT, keep the arms locked, pull them back up, gently caress YOU, second DDT." thing forever. Roode finally did it, so. He is cool.

Like, in all seriousness, I really didn't buy Roode as anything except the dude with meme music, but that match really solidified him as a very strong champ to me and Hideo was a big part of that.

His first win against Nakamura was kinda BS, but besides that it's refreshing that his championship reign has mostly just been him being really fuckin' good.

There's still time this element of dumb luck in all of Roode's wins (Nakamura's knee, the GTS knocking his lifeless body out of the ring) that leaves me feeling like he's really good but absolutely wouldn't win without those small turns of fortune. It's perfect for a strong heel champion because he comes across as both deserving of the championship but also infuriatingly still champ.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
#WWEBACNE

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Muddy Burphy posted:

Monster heel tag team who have a bunch of potential because they are both only 23ish and are already fairly decent workers?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

There's still time this element of dumb luck in all of Roode's wins (Nakamura's knee, the GTS knocking his lifeless body out of the ring) that leaves me feeling like he's really good but absolutely wouldn't win without those small turns of fortune. It's perfect for a strong heel champion because he comes across as both deserving of the championship but also infuriatingly still champ.
One of my favorite things about Madison Rayne in TNA as champ is that every time she would take a finisher she would just immediately roll out of the ring, which doesn't really devalue the finisher, and it makes her looks extra smart without making her opponents weak. Then she would capitalize on her breather from the outside and usually win from a flash or rollup finish.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Midnightghoul posted:

Is he still alive?

Terminal case of broken heart

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

freud mayweather posted:

I enjoyed Roode and Itami calling back to the finish of Roode/Nakamura 1, to the point where I bought the near fall so hard I yelled "fuckin bullshit" like the Iron Sheik. Then Itami kicked out of Roode's finisher and boy did I have egg on my face. Great match.

I liked Roode getting his karmic payback for working Nakamura's bad leg two matches in a row when he got his shoulder rammed into the post (with appropriate theatric 'OH GOD' sell)and Itami started attacking it right back. Bobby roode is really good, you guys.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Muddy Burphy posted:

They move kinda stupidly well for how young they are, already. They're not like workrate masters or anything, but they have tons of upside.

We're about to see how much of that upside is actually them and how much of it was Revival and DIY being incredible, though.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Blasmeister posted:

Bobby roode is really good, you guys.

hard pass

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Are Heavy Machinery the only face tag right now? There's like 3 active tag teams from what I can tell, if you count Sanity.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

nxt created one of the best tag teams in the world by arbitrarily putting two guys together I don't see why they can't do it again with the talent pool they've got

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

oatgan posted:

nxt created one of the best tag teams in the world by arbitrarily putting two guys together I don't see why they can't do it again with the talent pool they've got

I agree with oatgan, we should randomly put together Johnny Gargano with as many dudes as possible.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

oatgan posted:

But enough about Tino and Riddick

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lars Sullivan and Tyler Bate, the strongmen

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Roode really is Triple H - a great worker that fans resent because they can

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Basic Chunnel posted:

insofar that their "base" matches are boring slogs masquerading as epics, and they are only truly "great" when they are broken out from this excruciating formula by opponents who can drag out that little bit of extra effort from them, be that good smoke and mirrors gimmick booking, better pacing that's not selling fatigue by laying around on the canvas for a minute after a move, or heightened in-match storytelling that's not just "do heatless limbwork for fifteen minutes, do a finisher reversal and go home," or the litany of other agenting that HHH did great in 2000-01 but turned away from after the quad injury

they're both good baselines - sure, they'll put on a fine show but you'll always get the feeling that someone else in their position could be doing so much more. for Roode, does this exist on NXT's current roster? I don't know! but I think it does

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 22, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Basic Chunnel posted:

Roode is a guy who can put on a main-event level match with anyone and have the fans hate him every second it is happening because nothing he does is flashy other than his entrance.

He's going to be huge on the main roster.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Crossposting this here since this is probably a better thread for it

Petit Gregory posted:

Someone requested this from one of the threads, I can't remember which

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

oatgan posted:

I think the Authors of Pain are related tho? Hardly arbitrary.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I think the Authors of Pain are related tho? Hardly arbitrary.

Actually they're not which surprises me a bit. You could tell me they're brothers and I'd believe you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They're not even the same ethnicity. One is an Albanian from the Netherlands and one is a Punjabi from Canada. :lol:

Now if AoP had come out and murdered Randy Orton, that I would've been okay with!

It's unironically kind of an awesome optical illusion though. If you really, really look at their faces, you can tell, but slap 'em in the same gear, cut their hair and their facial hair the same and stick super old super white Paul Ellering in there for contrast and they look like loving clones of each other.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 22, 2017

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
that loving heel turn was perfect. the months long slow build to it, and then the fake out that lulled you into a false sense of relief while the copyright logo popped up, and then having it happen was brilliant. chaimpa looked like a legit psycho killer.

also, bruiserweight rules.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Meltzer is absolutely correct that Dunne should be on the main show right now. That dude just carries himself like a star. He looks like the most miserable son of a bitch and is a great wrestler on top of that.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The_Rob posted:

Meltzer is absolutely correct that Dunne should be on the main show right now. That dude just carries himself like a star. He looks like the most miserable son of a bitch and is a great wrestler on top of that.

Like all truly great heels he's apparently the nicest guy in real life.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
NXT would be a lot less forgettable week to week if it was focused more on the actual developmental talent and less on the top indy guys they keep in NXT too long so Takeover can be the better show of the weekend.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everyone seems to forget that regardless of teachers and facilities, wrestling is a very hard thing to get good at.

They haven't had a ton of success with from scratch people at the PC, but they've done well enough. Not everyone is going to work. Every indie guy coming in has a dozen or more dudes they came up with in their wake who never did poo poo.

It's a long, tough process and it's always going to have to be supplemented with professionals.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VJeff posted:

It's unironically kind of an awesome optical illusion though. If you really, really look at their faces, you can tell, but slap 'em in the same gear, cut their hair and their facial hair the same and stick super old super white Paul Ellering in there for contrast and they look like loving clones of each other.
Ah yes the Basham effect

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The issue isn't the presence of the top-tier guys. The issue is how long they stay in NXT. Anyone who's proven themselves on the indies is likely in their mid to late 30s so their shelf life before time and injury starts limiting them on the main roster is already short, and I can't imagine they need more than 3-6 months to pick up the basics of 'WWE Style' before they join the main roster.

Balor's nearly 36 and spent 2 years in NXT. Nakamura's 37 and spent a year there. Joe's 38 and spent 18 months there. Roode is 39 and he'll probably be there until Mania. Most of them aren't even wrestling the performance center talent, they just feud with other indy transplants.

If they're coming in and they're useful to the main roster (as opposed to signing guys just so the other feds can't have them, which I suppose could be the reason for some of the signings) get them in for a few months and one, maybe two Takeovers and use them where they can actually be seen and make money.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It seems like WWE missed the boat on some of these Indy guys when they were younger and less injury prone, but now will probably start going after the young indy talent like your Adam Coles and Lio Rush's.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

Ah yes the Basham effect

I saw some of OVW TV so I remembered Doug because he was the one with the beard and his real name was Basham.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

The issue isn't the presence of the top-tier guys. The issue is how long they stay in NXT. Anyone who's proven themselves on the indies is likely in their mid to late 30s so their shelf life before time and injury starts limiting them on the main roster is already short, and I can't imagine they need more than 3-6 months to pick up the basics of 'WWE Style' before they join the main roster.

Balor's nearly 36 and spent 2 years in NXT. Nakamura's 37 and spent a year there. Joe's 38 and spent 18 months there. Roode is 39 and he'll probably be there until Mania. Most of them aren't even wrestling the performance center talent, they just feud with other indy transplants.

If they're coming in and they're useful to the main roster (as opposed to signing guys just so the other feds can't have them, which I suppose could be the reason for some of the signings) get them in for a few months and one, maybe two Takeovers and use them where they can actually be seen and make money.

I don't think they care though.

The primary purpose still seems to be using NXT to prove to shareholders, etc., that Hunter can handle the job of replacing vince one day.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is Chris Hero still in NXT? Or was that just a quick temporary thing?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Is Chris Hero still in NXT? Or was that just a quick temporary thing?

He's still there and it looks like he's going to be feuding with Itami.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

He's still there and it looks like he's going to be feuding with Itami.

This will be very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Chris Hero is Kassius Ohno right? He rules

• Locked thread