Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Sequel screenplays normally become dogshit when they've been calculated and boiled over the span of many years, somehow this is a total rare exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know. I mean, the two episodes were good and like well made. But I didn't really fall in love with it like some people did here. Maybe I'll need to rewatch them because I barely understood anything that happened.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Needs more Badalamenti. A lot more. My only complaint.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just mainlined four hours of Twin Peaks and I don't think I know which way is up anymore.

There's so much I love and so much more I could say, but what I really hits home is that 'Dougie' is breaking my heart, goddamn.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't know. I mean, the two episodes were good and like well made. But I didn't really fall in love with it like some people did here. Maybe I'll need to rewatch them because I barely understood anything that happened.

My comment to this is that if you are... trying to "understand" what is "happening" in any literal sense, you are going about watching Lynch in the wrong way entirely. Things can just happen, in a Lynch film. A scene might have no point or purpose but to make you feel a certain way, or to evoke something symbolic. What may seem meaningful is likely meaningless, and what can seem utterly confounding and meanginless is likely full of meaning when you start digging deeper and cease viewing it as a narrative going by any set of rules - there are no rules, and sometimes the narrative jumps out the window completely for long periods of time. Lynch doesn't "do" traditional narrative, so if you go in expecting anything that's really on par with TV in terms of expected tropes, you're going to be slapped in the face a fish fresh from a coffee pot trying to watch this stuff.

edit: On a totally random note, I really wanna compliment Lynch on the fantastic use of that chopped and screwed remix of American Woman. That was just *badass* and weird and creepy.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 22, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm also super on board​with Chrysta Bell playing TP from the Secret History

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

I'm also super on board​with Chrysta Bell playing TP from the Secret History
It seems like there were a few nods to that in Eps 3 and 4. Brando talking about Lewis and Clark for example, and IIRC Bobby's description of Garland's final days is actually straight from that book too.

Makes me think Lynch was being misleading when he said he never read Secret History.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Raxivace posted:

It seems like there were a few nods to that in Eps 3 and 4. Brando talking about Lewis and Clark for example, and IIRC Bobby's description of Garland's final days is actually straight from that book too.

Makes me think Lynch was being misleading when he said he never read Secret History.

You musn't forget Frost is also writing the show, and Frost wrote the book. Whether Lynch has read it or not I'm sure references will continue to find a way in.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah honestly I've got no excuse for just flat out forgetting Frost was still attached to this for a moment lol.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Loving this, what else is auteur TV on this level other than like Horace and Pete?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
So Dougie is a doppelganger trap laid by Bob, so Dougie would get pulled back to the lodge rather than Bob. Letting Bob get off free in his shell after the 25 years.

Coop's mental status probably comes from not returning to his true self.
And honestly I thought the coffee would do the trick.
What I can't explain is why Dougieganger has the ring.

Arach fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 22, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I enjoyed the first two seasons but thought FWWM was utter wank so this is falling a bit flat with me after the first 2 episodes.

Gonna take a break and watch 3 and 4 a little later on.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:pusheen:

i lost my poo poo when jacoby removed his glasses... to reveal he is wearing his other glasses. i didn't even realise it was him to start and i loved it. wally brando is amazing. the alien ghost is horrifying

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Under the vegetable posted:

I thought it was some kind of protection against soul transference. Laura wears it when Bob tries to possess her at the end of Fire Walk With Me, but then he can't, so he just murders her instead.

In FWWM I feel the ring marked Bob's sacrifices. Laura put it on so Bob would have to kill her instead of possess her. Dougie was sacrificed by Bob so he could stay

Everything is awesome so far.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cant get the first two episodes out of my head (waiting til next week for 3&4).

Probably going to re-watch tonight. Just wish I could watch all 18 episodes uninterrupted right now.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Cool thing we noticed when watching was that blue rose in a vase in the blind lady's room.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Loved the original series and even slogged through the James bits in season 2 on multiple rewatches, but the vibe of this feels off to me. I feel like you can get away with a glacial pace like Better Call Saul, or you can get away with being super weird and artsy/abstract like Legion/Leftovers, or you can get away with tons of new characters like Game of Thrones, but all three at once is so disorienting that it's hard for me to watch sometimes, especially with so much time spent on new characters. I'm only 2 episodes in so far and I do intend to watch the whole thing, but I'm treating it like a new show with familiar cameos at this point.

Thats like baby entry level abstract.

This is just the purest form of David Lynch on the screen. Honestly I wasn't expecting it with Mark Frost on board, but I had heard that he was much more hands off during the actual filming and production of the show. I can definitely see this becoming Lynch's final tv show/film. 14 more hours to go goddamn.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
That first 10 mins to episode 3 was just horrifying and amazing

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Koirhor posted:

That's about where I'm up to and all of the Dale Cooper in interdimensional hijinx stuff is amazing, it feels like some of the best weird point & click adventure games. Like when the electrical box/meter read a certain number before the switch was pulled and then the number lowered. I feel like he needs to keep trying to combine items in his inventory to solve puzzles, haha.

By the way, the first episode's NYC glass box climax was one of the scariest things I've seen in a long time.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I love how every episode feels like the shard of a different TV show, and yet somehow an integral part of the whole Twin Peaks experience.

Quoting you from a while back but this was my biggest take away from the first two episodes and I loved it. If the 90s Twin Peaks was a story viewed through the lense of drama up to that point, this feels the same for drama in the time since. The guy watching the box feels like it has some of Lost in it. Evil Cooper feels like soemthing out of a Fargo season. The Chromatics at the end felt like something out of a Refyn film.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Koirhor posted:

It was incredible. I thought the first two episodes were great, but the start of e3 totally sold me on it.

Also I didn't like the Michael Cera scene nearly as much as everyone else, but that's about the only thing I didn't care for. For as wild as this has been so far, there's more of a narrative than I was expecting. It's more clear than FWWM at least.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Four episodes of Lynch unleashed and there's 14 more to go. :fap:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm so glad this show isn't full of "lol coffee" references and other poo poo like that

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It does feel a bit weird how slow everyone in the real world seems to be. The mix of concrete and abstract was something that I thought really helped the original seasons anchor themselves.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, think I might be done after 2 and a bit episodes. It's nigh on unwatchable.

It feels like Lynch managed to scam a bunch of money off of execs, high on nostalgia, to produce the show and spent it all on coke and hookers and then got a bunch of second year film students that are really into his style to produce a show as cheaply as humanly possible.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, think I might be done after 2 and a bit episodes. It's nigh on unwatchable.

It feels like Lynch managed to scam a bunch of money off of execs, high on nostalgia, to produce the show and spent it all on coke and hookers and then got a bunch of second year film students that are really into his style to produce a show as cheaply as humanly possible.

You're missing out on Wally Brando!

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm so glad this show isn't full of "lol coffee" references and other poo poo like that

I was waiting for at least some type of reference to that in Episode 1 and so happy we didn't get it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
TVIV > Twin Peaks 2017: When you get there, you'll already be there

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

spudsbuckley posted:

Lol

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

spudsbuckley posted:

I love that this season is already separating the men from the boys. This one is for all of us who spent the past 20 years making "Inland Empire" yarn walls. There's plenty of other awesome, accessible Prestige TV in this New Golden Age for you guys to watch. This one's for us Lynch autists.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I loved 1 & 2, saw it at my local theater.

My only question: who's the guy with James at the bar, the one who does finger guns at the girls?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

so glad that Lynch managed to find the best possible replacement for Michael J Anderson

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I love that this season is already separating the men from the boys. This one is for all of us who spent the past 20 years making "Inland Empire" yarn walls. There's plenty of other awesome, accessible Prestige TV in this New Golden Age for you guys to watch. This one's for us Lynch autists.

Hey, I'm with you on that.

I enjoyed the other two seasons but this is in the FWWM vein of film school wankery. I'm glad y'all are enjoying it because this type of thing doesn't come around very often but I'm finding it utterly loving terrible.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

spudsbuckley posted:

Hey, I'm with you on that.

I enjoyed the other two seasons but this is in the FWWM vein of film school wankery. I'm glad y'all are enjoying it because this type of thing doesn't come around very often but I'm finding it utterly loving terrible.

Cool.

But not James cool.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So is it made more explicit in episode 4 that Dougie was BOB and friends' creation? I'd assumed it was something Mike had made as a failsafe, since Dougie was unable to move his arm right before he got zapped to the lodge.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i just finished FWWMMP in prep for the third season and i cant remember , was the ring and garambozia stuff was in the original 2 seasons? also who is this character laura talks to about her journal with in the first third of the movie

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Transistor Rhythm posted:

As someone who really likes the new season, this is a lovely way to approach any sort of art, and you suck for thinking it. There's really not a better encapsulation of this awful loving forum than this post. gently caress you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This is so loving good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't say I loved it but I didn't hate it either. It's so much more like FWWM than the show, so if you came expecting more Twin Peaks you're probably gonna be largely disappointed. Lynch wasn't joking when he said the movie would be important. What he meant by that was the show would be a lot more like the movie than the old show.

My main critique with the first two episodes is there was way too much crazy poo poo. The lodge stuff kinda bores me when they spend too long on it. The original Twin Peaks worked well because they had crazy poo poo happening a lot but they also sandwiched that between some level of groundedness and normality. These first two episodes were just a crazy train ride 24/7 more in the vein of Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway. I feel like Lynch's crazy/surreal stuff works more when he reigns it in a bit and doesn't constantly bombard you with it.

But there's 18 hours of this so we'll see how long he stays in crazy town or if he brings it in a bit ever.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sector_corrector posted:

As someone who really likes the new season, this is a lovely way to approach any sort of art, and you suck for thinking it. There's really not a better encapsulation of this awful loving forum than this post. gently caress you.

Nah, he's right. You'd have to be a huge fan of Lynch to put up with this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Watching episode 3. I'm glad they retained the CGI team from Dune.