Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

OwlFancier posted:

I am beginning to feel like putting May on television talking to someone might be the worst thing you could do for her.

It obviously stresses her out when she has to deal with questions that she hasn't prepared for, and considering there is nothing but bad news in the press she's going to have any spare time between now and the TV slow taken up by strategy meetings.

I still think the polls have weighted too far against the younger age groups so the real numbers up until now might have been better, but what worries me about that is I think the low youth turnout in 2015 and Brexit were caused by the polls immediately before suggesting a hung parliament and a Remain win. So if the gap closes they might not bother after all (and yes I know the youth turnout for Brexit wasn't as bad as Sky initially suggested, but it was still lower than expected).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Seaside Loafer posted:

My guilty secret is my fascination with the Howard Stern show from america, they were live on air being silly as it happened in New York https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64zZaAbhtps

Interestingly the man actually predicted it was Osama half way through the thing.

Well it wasn't exactly unexpected, the outgoing Clinton administration basically said HEY THERE'S GONNA BE AN ATTACK PROBABLY FROM THIS GUY AND HIS NETWORK LOOK AT THE INTEL and the Bush team were like lol seeeyaaa

Later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SPWgodul_E

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

it would be cool if May snaps

In half, yes

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Welsh Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 44% (+9)
CON: 34% (-7)
PC: 9% (-2)
LDEM: 6% (-1)
UKIP: 5% (+1)

Anything to say, Prime Minister?

http://i.imgur.com/zrX8CGq.gifv

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/866686614571028480

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Eddie Mair is having an absolutely loving ball with the social care flop on PM right now and it's glorious.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm scared lads

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Firos posted:

I enjoyed the interview Corbs did with JME.

it was great.

i can't believe the mail tried to do a hit piece on JME after it came out, though. the guy is basically the nicest and most positive dude ever.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Flatscan posted:

I think they blew their load way too early, the only smears they can print now are rehashes of the same poo poo they've been printing since the first Labour leadership election. The IRA sympathiser bollocks isn't gaining any traction this time round and I can't really think of anything else they could trot out that would even cause a stir, everyone's desensitised at this point. Maybe they'll remind everyone that he used to shag Diane Abbot thirty years ago.

Well trodden smears can work at the moment of reckoning though. "Oh yeah I forgot about the bacon sandwich"

What's the thread's predictions for the Sun's election day front page this time?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

man this strategy is going to backfire when everyone gets in the voting booth and can't find the Theresa May party to vote for.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Scikar posted:

It obviously stresses her out when she has to deal with questions that she hasn't prepared for, and considering there is nothing but bad news in the press she's going to have any spare time between now and the TV slow taken up by strategy meetings.

When May first started doing PMQs, what struck me was she seemed to want to actually engage in a debate and explain things. It was like her and Corbyn having something approaching a discussion while the rest of the chamber went RAAAHHH HURRRR. A week or two later someone had explained how things work, and she was doing the practiced soundbites and non-responses as usual

She's not very good at it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well trodden smears can work at the moment of reckoning though. "Oh yeah I forgot about the bacon sandwich"

What's the thread's predictions for the Sun's election day front page this time?

soviet propaganda style poster of Jezza

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

George Osborne plucky newshound on a mission to take down Theresa May is a twist I didn't see coming.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Baron Corbyn posted:

man this strategy is going to backfire when everyone gets in the voting booth and can't find the Theresa May party to vote for.

this is the second piece of personalised election material to be sent to me, the other was from the Lib Dems. Naturally, Labour have done nothing round here despite me getting a barrage of emails about canvassing, leaflet dropping, etc

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

By the way, for those who like betting on politics, you can actually get pretty decent odds on Labour voteshare. I'm currently set to make £16 if Labour gets 30%-35%, and £47 if they get 35%-40%, on a £25 stake. So, if you are confident Labour won't drop below 30%, you can get some good returns.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Corbyn in a balaclava

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

George Osborne plucky newshound on a mission to take down Theresa May is a twist I didn't see coming.

Wasn't there a story of May completely loving and humiliating him when she took over? He might be slightly vindictive

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

UKMT, years ahead of the curve

YouGOV: The great sandwich debate: rectangles or triangles?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A leader who won't kowtow to the dastardly EU during negotiations, that kind of thing. 'Strong and stable' might be taking a hit right now, but they can play on her having come to blows with the EU.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

baka kaba posted:

When May first started doing PMQs, what struck me was she seemed to want to actually engage in a debate and explain things. It was like her and Corbyn having something approaching a discussion while the rest of the chamber went RAAAHHH HURRRR. A week or two later someone had explained how things work, and she was doing the practiced soundbites and non-responses as usual

She's not very good at it

Obviously I am desperate to get rid of her as PM but regardless that is a massive shame. The way the media pantomime serves to shut down debate is a crime.

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn in a balaclava

Don't post this, they might read it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nothing to seehere posted:

By the way, for those who like betting on politics, you can actually get pretty decent odds on Labour voteshare. I'm currently set to make £16 if Labour gets 30%-35%, and £47 if they get 35%-40%, on a £25 stake. So, if you are confident Labour won't drop below 30%, you can get some good returns.

What if Labour go above 40 mate you'll be stuffed

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What if Labour go above 40 mate you'll be stuffed

Have £2 on a 50/1 bet, and even if I didn't I'll still be happy losing £25 to get labour over 40%. If labour drops below 30% though...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TheRat posted:

Wasn't there a story of May completely loving and humiliating him when she took over? He might be slightly vindictive

Yeah, she completely did him over both in terms of internal party stuff and in backing his "legacy".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ He left out the back door too, jumping over the wall and tripping on some bin bags before vanishing into a cab. Later he met up with... Nick Clegg I want to say? for a nice latte

Zalakwe posted:

Obviously I am desperate to get rid of her as PM but regardless that is a massive shame. The way the media pantomime serves to shut down debate is a crime.

Well it serves the parties as well, which is why slick PR man Davey Pie was so effective. I don't know if I'm giving her too much credit here, but I definitely remember some of Corbyn's questions being met with her leaning forward and going 'no, you see, what we're actually trying to do is...' It was pretty memorable just for the tone but obviously it didn't last long

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Scikar posted:

I still think the polls have weighted too far against the younger age groups so the real numbers up until now might have been better, but what worries me about that is I think the low youth turnout in 2015 and Brexit were caused by the polls immediately before suggesting a hung parliament and a Remain win. So if the gap closes they might not bother after all (and yes I know the youth turnout for Brexit wasn't as bad as Sky initially suggested, but it was still lower than expected).

didn't brexit have really high youth turnout? i imagine a fair few people who registered to vote for that won't have had to renew

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

didn't brexit have really high youth turnout? i imagine a fair few people who registered to vote for that won't have had to renew

Yeah, the stories about low youth turnout turned out (heh) to be bullshit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also we just had locals for 1/3rd of the country, but then again turnout was crap for that

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Brexit had around 60% youth turnout iirc, which is much better than the 43% average. However, the olds had a ridiculous 90% turnout or something, so young people still lost out on average.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Local turn out is always poo poo, doubly so this year as people seem to only think of generals as the ones that mean anything.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

which leader will poo poo and piss themselves in a press conference first

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Looke posted:

which leader will poo poo and piss themselves in a press conference first

Farron.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So apparently they just finished filming the May/Neil interview for this evening, do we know why these aren't being done live? Seems odd given that they're supposed to be debate replacement.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Jose posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/young-people-referendum-turnout-brexit-twice-as-high

The youth turnout was reported by Sky at 36% initially and some people still seem to think it was around that level, in fact it was 64% but the olds turnout was 90%.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

quote is not edit

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Our dear friend Dan Hodges is having a bit of a meltdown
https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/866693088563126277

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

why is his name in triple brackets

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

is it supposed to emphasis that it's a parentheses of 'oval office'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Looke posted:

why is his name in triple brackets

he's jewish?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looke posted:

is it supposed to emphasis that it's a parentheses of 'oval office'

I think it's some sort of jews vs nazis thing? Nazis started writing jewish people's names in brackets and as a response they started doing it themselves in defiance or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

TIL

• Locked thread