Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Joe Bonamassa is dad rock for dads who listen to vinyls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

Joe Bonamassa is dad rock for dads who listen to vinyls

thats most of the bands mentioned itt

joe bonomassa is dad rock for the other guys in joe bonomassa's band

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I liked Bonamassa in Black Country Communion, but that was a very different band and most of what was cool about it was due to Glenn Hughes.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Bonamassa is dad rock for dentists and lawyers who play nothing but pentatonic licks on $5000 guitars with gold hardware and overly figured tops. Maybe a weekend gig (with a drum machine) in a Hawaiian shirt and socks with sandals down at the local sports bar and grill

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Some more girls playing prog:

https://youtu.be/8yVWwjI932k - The band geeks (with female lead singer) cover of Heart of the Sunrise
https://youtu.be/LhCHQPricjo - The band geeks (With female lead singer/keyboard player) cover of Starship Trooper
https://youtu.be/7-g0Ivb-ddM - The band geeks cover of South Side of the Sky (with female lead singer and former Yes and Renaissance keyboardist, Tom Brislin)
https://youtu.be/MrU56xaJNCA - Girl guitarist covers Larks Tongues in Aspic Part Two

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 22, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Iucounu posted:

Bonamassa is dad rock for dentists and lawyers who play nothing but pentatonic licks on $5000 guitars with gold hardware and overly figured tops. Maybe a weekend gig (with a drum machine) in a Hawaiian shirt and socks with sandals down at the local sports bar and grill

Doesn't he post here?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Obviously Julie Slick as female prog bassist.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bent Knee also have a female bassist. And a female vocalist of course.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Obviously Julie Slick as female prog bassist.

She's super good. Ade's band rules.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BigFactory posted:

She's super good. Ade's band rules.

I saw them this tour in Buffalo, Odense (Denmark) and Toronto. I have to say Saul Zonana has really stepped his game up as a solo opener. I've known them all since the first Three of a Perfect Pair music camp in 2011 and I agree Ade is as on top of his playing as ever and is much happier than 2014-era. Julie's also got the new EchoTest album out 'Between Two Balconies' with Marco Machera and Alessandro Inolti. Tobias is as much a dynamo as ever.

Looking forward to TOAPP '17 in August so much. I think I'll rush the stage to sing on Pretty Pink Rose. ;)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Strong recommendation on 'Sonic Cinema' from Zero Times Everything. I know one member of the band, Tony Geballe, from GC.

https://zerotimeseverything.bandcamp.com/

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

King Crimson "Heroes" cover

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8eBmRcVMu74

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is that from Construcktion of Light tour? That was a good show. I think all those songs from that era translated to the stage really well, especially Level 5 and Dangerous Curves.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Is that from Construcktion of Light tour? That was a good show. I think all those songs from that era translated to the stage really well, especially Level 5 and Dangerous Curves.

No, 2016, current incarnation sans Bill

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

No, 2016, current incarnation sans Bill

I guess watching the video would have made that pretty obvious. That sounds good. I should prolly try to see this king crimson before they hang it up.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I guess watching the video would have made that pretty obvious. That sounds good. I should prolly try to see this king crimson before they hang it up.

Robert's apparently said it's going into 2018. I may go see them in Seattle in June or wait til July for Toronto; I'll ask what the plans are - whereabouts do you live?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Robert's apparently said it's going into 2018. I may go see them in Seattle in June or wait til July for Toronto; I'll ask what the plans are - whereabouts do you live?

Boston. I missed a couple of chances to see em so far. The last time I saw KC was power to believe tour.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Boston. I missed a couple of chances to see em so far. The last time I saw KC was power to believe tour.

I kinda doubt Robert is going to want to tour the US back to back - the current tour is going to Red Bank NJ on July 9 and 10.

https://www.dgmlive.com/tours?liveshow=on

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's a weird tour but it's probably cities they missed last time. I guess I'll miss em again

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Iucounu posted:

Bonamassa is dad rock for dentists and lawyers
you can just say dad rock

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

It's time to introduce you to Skin Alley a British prog-jazz-rock fusion band from the early 1970s. They released 4 albums. I'm linking Two-Quid Deal? because it's my favourite and probably the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnFKc3SBrm0

If you only have time for 1 track then try track 1, Bad Words & Evil People. It is by far the most high-tempo rock-bluesy number with a heavy bass hook and great guitar solo to end . If you want something more mellow go for track 4 Graveyard Shuffle. Track 3 A Final Coat has some boogie barrel-house piano and an Emerson-like organ solo. Track 8 runs into track 9, which has a great chorus. Stand out tracks are 1, 3 and 9.

Enjoy. I'd be interested to see if you guys like it or have heard of them before. I grew up with Two Quid Deal? because my parents knew the band.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

P@ just shared this King Crimson art image on FB. I don't have the heart to tell him what my "No gold ring. Immersion ruined." comment means.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Opening two tracks of an album I'm recording.
https://jamesmurray1.bandcamp.com/track/the-riders-worthwhile

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

It's time to introduce you to Skin Alley a British prog-jazz-rock fusion band from the early 1970s. They released 4 albums. I'm linking Two-Quid Deal? because it's my favourite and probably the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnFKc3SBrm0

If you only have time for 1 track then try track 1, Bad Words & Evil People. It is by far the most high-tempo rock-bluesy number with a heavy bass hook and great guitar solo to end . If you want something more mellow go for track 4 Graveyard Shuffle. Track 3 A Final Coat has some boogie barrel-house piano and an Emerson-like organ solo. Track 8 runs into track 9, which has a great chorus. Stand out tracks are 1, 3 and 9.

Enjoy. I'd be interested to see if you guys like it or have heard of them before. I grew up with Two Quid Deal? because my parents knew the band.

Never heard them before, but I dig it.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

I'm super into this. Can't wait to hear the album. (Even though you just lifted a guitar line off of Hazards of Love)

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 5, 2017

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm super into this. Can't wait to hear the album. (Even though you just lifted a guitar line off of Hazards of Love)

Did I? Which line? I've heard that album before but I wrote these songs when I was in high school way before that album came out so it's unlikely.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Sup fellow prog recording buddy :respek:

This stuff sounds good. I'm looking forward to the whole thing. What plugin are you using for your mellotron sounds?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Iucounu posted:

Sup fellow prog recording buddy :respek:

This stuff sounds good. I'm looking forward to the whole thing. What plugin are you using for your mellotron sounds?

On this track I was just using the logic violin patch mixed with some natural strings. But on some of my older recordings (like on sword of Aquarius) I've used Mike Pinders official patch, as well as m-tron pro. I like Mike pinders sound patch the best but it has some limitations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

Did I? Which line? I've heard that album before but I wrote these songs when I was in high school way before that album came out so it's unlikely.

I'm getting mad Rake's Song vibes at 5:45ish. It's not exactly the same now I listen side by side.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm getting mad Rake's Song vibes at 5:45ish. It's not exactly the same now I listen side by side.

I see what you mean. But I actually wrote that G minor to E minor chord pattern in 1994. I wouldn't be surprised if that chord pattern/riff has been used in other songs before though. There are only so many chord combinations that sound good.

A bit of an explanation:

That section of Worthwhile was actually one of the first things I ever wrote on guitar and I remember rocking out to it with my drummer friend in his parents' basement for hours because that was one of the few songs I could actually play back then. I hadn't written the softer section of Worthwhile yet, but I was already starting to put together the larger Drakus suite which I had pictured originally as one big side long epic song a la Echoes, Supper's Ready or Close to the Edge. I was already a big Yes and Pink Floyd fan and was just getting into Genesis. In 1996 I got a bunch of friends that I used to jam with together and we tried to actually piece it all together. I had the whole thing in my head and could play my parts on guitar. But trying to get them to play their parts was really hard. I wanted them to come up with their own ideas, to a point, but I definitely had a specific vision as to how I wanted it to sound and I could tell it was frustrating to them.

We never got past The Riders opening section, which I originally envisioned to be pretty much the way you hear it, but I've since cut it down a bit and made it a little more concise. Trying to get a bunch of teenage boys who were used to playing punk rock and grunge to play all the complex parts the way I imagined it proved to be impossible. It was way too difficult for me to get everyone on the same page. It wasn't fun for anyone and after about 2 hours of trying to coordinate everything we just gave up and went back to playing Green Day covers. We never tried it again. Eventually, Drakus's various parts were broken up and turned into separate songs of their own. I have played some of the songs with other bands I've been in, but mostly I played them solo at open mics and the like. But now I'm finally putting it all back together and trying to present it the way I originally intended. Well ... almost. It's changed a bit for the better. Some of the more embarrassing ideas that my teenage mind came up with have been cut or toned down, and some of the parts that dragged a bit too long have been cut back or made more concise. But overall it's grown quite a bit longer, since many of the little sections have developed into songs in their own right, and some songs have been added to the concept, so it's become more of a concept album than a side long epic.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 6, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Prog rock is awesome you guys.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

drat, that's a long gestation period on this album then. Glad it's finally happening though.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Rust Martialis posted:

P@ just shared this King Crimson art image on FB. I don't have the heart to tell him what my "No gold ring. Immersion ruined." comment means.

You probably couldn't see the ring from this angle. I checked the original picture.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Pat understood the comment. So I don't have to explain it to Robert.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Laputanmachine posted:

You probably couldn't see the ring from this angle. I checked the original picture.
the most elaborate way to goatse someone

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I didn't see in it this thread, I discovered today On her Journey To The Sun, an album by Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly (such a terrible name), whom I had never heard about. It's very proggy, it's good, it just came out, I've been rocking out to it all day! The album is like 1h10m and there's a lot of ideas on it, so that's nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIL75HtKbQ

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Last night's Friends and Family show in Seattle setlist by King Crimson (yours truly was there)

Neurotica
Pictures of a City
New Song (working title 'Radical 3', source Jakko)
Cirkus
Battle of the Glass Tears
Exiles
Fracture
The Letters
Sailor's Tale
Red
Fallen Angel
Indiscipline
ConstruKction of Light
Easy Money
Islands
Meltdown
Level 5
Starless
Court of the Crimson King
Heroes
21st Century Schizoid Man

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Colonel J posted:

I didn't see in it this thread, I discovered today On her Journey To The Sun, an album by Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly (such a terrible name), whom I had never heard about. It's very proggy, it's good, it just came out, I've been rocking out to it all day! The album is like 1h10m and there's a lot of ideas on it, so that's nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIL75HtKbQ
Weird, I just found this same album through Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist and I was about to post about it.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Weird, I just found this same album through Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist and I was about to post about it.

Hah, that's exactly where I got it from. It led me into Beardfish, which I like so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Also a highlight of Seattle was a dinner with David Singleton where we discussed the fact KC now is on Spotify.