Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's not The End, then. Maybe just a regular issue that deals with a future Galactus. I know that story exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It's from Marvel Adventures. Courtesy of Gavok in the touching moments thread:

Gavok posted:

The current goings on in Fantastic Four reminded me of Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four #48, the final issue of the series. It starts off with Galactus at the end of time with some monitors showing his first battles with the Fantastic Four while it regularly cuts to the team acting like a family together. Future Galactus calls to them and requests their help, which they grant. The universe is about to end and it's his job to move on to the next big bang. Unfortunately, there are some immortal cosmic beings out there to stop him. Galactus needs the Fantastic Four to take them out so he can continue on.

Being that these guys are cosmic level, they ultimately overpower the team and they retreat back to Galactus' lair. The villains follow, showing that the Fantastic Four have utterly failed.

Some of the panels are too cheesy, but I always loved the idea that looking back at billions of years of existence, Galactus most fondly thinks about these four guys.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's the one. Thank you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah well why are you wearing a bra on your head?

It's

a pussy hat.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From My Hero Academia.

gently caress you, I'm a dragon...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Im not part of the shrieking "BLRAAHRHGH ANIME" contingent of BSS but I have to say I read that left to right and right to left and I still have no loving clue what is supposed to be happening on those pages except some really clunky dialogue

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Im not part of the shrieking "BLRAAHRHGH ANIME" contingent of BSS but I have to say I read that left to right and right to left and I still have no loving clue what is supposed to be happening on those pages except some really clunky dialogue

Heroes (everyone but the guy in panel 2) are starting a raid on a gang hideout to rescue a little girl, panel 3 woman responds to the bad guy's attempt to attack them by turning into a dragon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This is not the first time My Hero Academia has been posted in this thread and received a general reaction of "what is even happening" so I suspect it's a problem with the artist being bad at conveying action :v:

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is not the first time My Hero Academia has been posted in this thread and received a general reaction of "what is even happening" so I suspect it's a problem with the artist being bad at conveying action :v:

Yup. That transformation was as badass as a narrative bubble saying, "And then there was a dragon somehow."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I would argue it's more of a problem with context, and how posting random panels lacks it. Whenever DC or Marvel panels get posted, most people reading these threads probably have a working knowledge of most characters, how they move, their motivations and so on because it's the same characters in the same universe it's always been. If someone posted the Spider-Man vs Juggernaut fight here, most people would get it because we know their general abilities and that logically Spider-Man stands no chance, so by him rising to the occasion and actually taking Juggs on and winning we can all agree that it's pretty badass. It works for pretty much anyone in this thread because everyone has knowledge and context on Juggernaut and Spider-Man. By contrast, see how many times panels from something like Invincible or Saga gets posted in these threads, and it's immediately followed by someone asking for some context. No scene holds any impact if you don't know what it means, and most people here haven't read the 100+ chapters of Hero Academia that gives context to that scene.

ecavalli posted:

Yup. That transformation was as badass as a narrative bubble saying, "And then there was a dragon somehow."

Also this.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'm the speech bubble that says GRAB!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ya. If you want clearly communicated Badass manga panels, it looks more like this (Read Right to Left, ofc):

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm the speech bubble that says GRAB!

Mine also has this. It is Cool and Good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

The translations can sometimes be really bad, as in google translate bad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Toshimo posted:

Ya. If you want clearly communicated Badass manga panels, it looks more like this (Read Right to Left, ofc):

Um, are you sure

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't know much about either of those mangas, but my vote is that the one with the dragon is not good because I'm not sure what's happening, while the one with the pirate is good because I am sure what's happening.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
My hero Academia is just a western cape comic filtered through Japan.

One Piece is just standard Shonen.

Also one actually works well on its own, while the other is just a random page torn out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Read from back to front

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
More like read from Hand to Garbage Can.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

My hero Academia is just a western cape comic filtered through Japan.

One Piece is just standard Shonen.

Also one actually works well on its own, while the other is just a random page torn out.

Yeah those two don't really compare, one is 2 pages out of context, one is seven pages with context, one is at the beginning of an arc, the other is the face-off with the arc villain.

Edit, neither are especially badass though.

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 22, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Johnny Aztec posted:

More like read from Hand to Garbage Can.

We're not talking about your posting style

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Why would you read word balloons from right to left, but read the words in the balloons left to right? Pick a direction, people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Flip the art like god intended.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

There is literally no difference aside from art style between comics and manga. Move on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There is literally no difference aside from art style between comics and manga. Move on.

One of them is backwards and also terrible. :D

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Now now, no need to talk about yourself that way

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I too hate the perfidious celestial's comic arts

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i only read comics from Lithuania

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Understanding Comics points out that panel transitions tend to be very different between the two. I've never been able to un-see that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There are differences.

Doesn't make one superior tho.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I like a lot of manga but they're produced, marketed, and consumed under very different conditions than Western comics. They also start from way diffent models of story-telling, although there's more and more fruitful and interesting cross-contamination these days.

For a long-winded and meandering example of these formal differences, Western cape comics and action-oriented manga treat the space of the "fight" in disparate ways. Superhero comics tend to elide fights except for big beats, and if they run long it's as a medium for character drama. Spider-Man fights Doc Ock for eight pages so he can talk to Doc Ock for eight pages, or think about Doc Ock for eight pages, or spend eight pages thinking about ways in which his fight with Doc Ock mirrors or supplements stuff going on in his life. It's like Jacobean drama-- the fight is where catharsis happens, but most of the thing is the tension leading up to the fight or dealing with the consequences of the fight. There's the much derided convention of characters in mid-lunge delivering big chunks of exposition-- but I don't think that has to be a problem, because these fights are often just as much about character drama being expressed physically more than they are about clarity and linear continuity-- and it's often very effective. With the right artists-- John Romita Jr., Paul Smith, Byrne-- Chris Claremont's fights in Uncanny X-Men could be all-time greats, well-paced, exciting, and crisp, even while being extraordinarily talky. A big exception is Frank Miller, whose fights do tend to be more choreographed, but he, of course, was very much influenced by manga. Also Emma Rios in Pretty Deadly.

Manga on the other hand is often all about breaking a fight into its minutia, tracking it beat by beat. This can lead to long, protracted, tedious fights-- a common complaint about Bleach, to name a pretty popular one-- but it can also lead to fun, operatic fights with lots of unexpected twists and turns (another really popular one-- the above-mentioned One Peace, which David Brothers has written thoughtfully about in the context of its fights, is noted for this, ditto, say, Fist of the North Star or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), or be really strikingly choreographed and plotted out dances between the characters (here are a few good articles by the cartoonist Katie Skelly that explain this better than I can in the context of Hiroaki Samura's Blade of the Immortal. At the same time, this means that when manga does short, impressionistic fights in the Western-ish style, it still prioritizes moments and beats differently than somebody like Mark Bagley, who does great fights but coming from a much different tradition. Taiyo Matsumoto is great for this-- most of the fights in No. 5 are very short, but even when they become protracted they're done very efficiently, giving an impression of brutality and speed that really only works when you're used to the form lingering on the moment-by-moment poetics of battle scenes.

One style isn't better than another. I'd rather read one Ditko Spider-Man fight than a hundred chapters of Bleach, and there are a lot of bland, garbled fights in Western comics by mediocre artists, or good artists saddled with a script that uses fights poorly. But it's silly to argue that either form is complete junk, and inaccurate to say that they're exactly the same. And more and more the best artists in both forms are mutually influenced by one another-- I think this idea of an inseperable gulf is mostly in the heads of fans.

Edit: In the context of threads like this it also puts manga on the back foot. It's harder to give useful context AND cool moments in the space of 3-4 pages, and posting, like, 30 at once is unreasonable.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 22, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'd say one other big difference is that they're creator-owned or more-creator-owned or whatever; basically, they don't become the perennial intellectual property of a media conglomerate. There's also a shitload more of it than we get here so there's going to be more chance for something great to emerge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nessus posted:

I'd say one other big difference is that they're creator-owned or more-creator-owned or whatever; basically, they don't become the perennial intellectual property of a media conglomerate.

????????

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Sooo... Optimus Prime #5! the Transformers are under attack from the Junkions and thousands of shark robots. Soundwave's solution? :ussr:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Gann Jerrod posted:

Sooo... Optimus Prime #5! the Transformers are under attack from the Junkions and thousands of shark robots. Soundwave's solution? :ussr:

it should be noted that Soundwave's speech is Megatron's but written by James Roberts from More Than Meets The Eye 34

it's still badass though

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Wait, when did Soundwave join GI Joe?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Verant posted:

Wait, when did Soundwave join GI Joe?

IDW has Transformers, GI Joe, and Rom: Space Knight all in the same universe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

I'd say one other big difference is that they're creator-owned or more-creator-owned or whatever; basically, they don't become the perennial intellectual property of a media conglomerate. There's also a shitload more of it than we get here so there's going to be more chance for something great to emerge.

Nollywood makes almost 2000 movies a year and almost none of them are any good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't follow IDW's ongoing stuff, but in their limited series Tranformers vs. GI Joe, Soundwave...well, he didn't exactly "join" GI Joe, so much as he "had his head ripped off and replaced by Bumblebee's body bent into a roughly-head-shaped cockpit piloted by Doctor Venom," but it basically counts.

It's cool though, he was reforged in Cybertron's land of the dead. Lost his singing voice, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't follow IDW's ongoing stuff, but in their limited series Tranformers vs. GI Joe, Soundwave...well, he didn't exactly "join" GI Joe, so much as he "had his head ripped off and replaced by Bumblebee's body bent into a roughly-head-shaped cockpit piloted by Doctor Venom," but it basically counts.

It's cool though, he was reforged in Cybertron's land of the dead. Lost his singing voice, though.

I really, really need to get the trade hardback for that series