Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Squalid posted:

How exactly is the commoner/royal/other? Distinction defined in Japanese law and custom? Like are there noble families a princess can marry into to retain her royal status or is becoming a commoner inevitable for all female members of the Imperial family?

According to this
http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japans-royal-family

quote:

While stripping him of his demi-god status, that law also cut the number of Japanese royals as a cost-cutting step for the then-impoverished country. In doing so, it removed 11 out of the 12 branches of the Imperial family, hence there are no royal males for princesses to wed today.

Looks like they are kinda SOL. That was a pretty big oversight in the initial law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pretty sure it's defined by the Imperial Household Law. Japan post-1868 created a European style legal nobility but it was abolished after the war, so legally speaking the emperor and imperial family are just listed by name in a single piece of legislation from 1947, more or less. I'm not sure how it worked pre-Meiji

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Japanese emperor has always been a national mascot sort of thing. lovely rear end Bahrain royalty in a tiny city state has more power.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

Pretty sure it's defined by the Imperial Household Law.

It's defined by this.

I believe they did it to breed the imperial family out of existence because most Japanese people in 1947 didn't really care that much about the royal family. They were a drain on resources in a country where starvation was an everyday thing and they got them into that mess in the first place.

I think I read it in Embracing Defeat that by 1947 the majority of the Japanese people were indifferent to the royal family or saw no point to them anymore. They only kept them around because the right wing elements convinced MacArthur that without the Emperor there would be an insurgency at best and a communist take over at worst. After Hirohito learned how to speak to common people, something he was incapable of for most of his life, he started making the rounds and playing British-style monarch to ensure his continued career as Emperor.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 22, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's defined by this.

I believe they did it to breed the imperial family out of existence because most Japanese people in 1945 didn't really care that much about the royal family. They were a drain on resources in a country where starvation was an everyday thing and they got them into that mess in the first place.

I think I read it in Embracing Defeat that by 1947 the majority of the Japanese people were indifferent to the royal family or saw no point to them anymore. They only kept them around because the right wing elements convinced MacArthur that without the Emperor there would be an insurgency at best and a communist take over at worst. After Hirohito learned how to speak to common people, something he was incapable of for most of his life, he started making the rounds and playing British-style monarch to ensure his continued career as Emperor.

I read Embracing Defeat too. Great book. I seem to recall the beginning was about how people were reacting to the Emperor's surrender though and some were clearly very distraught.

I'm new to modern Japanese Imperial stuff but I was told the latest Emperor wasn't a touring celebrity and was largely kept out of the public eye. Everything he does is supposed to be approved, right? Apparently his address to earthquake victims in 2011 was the first time he was ever "allowed" to do such a thing? That's what I was told anyway.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm new to modern Japanese Imperial stuff but I was told the latest Emperor wasn't a touring celebrity and was largely kept out of the public eye. Everything he does is supposed to be approved, right? Apparently his address to earthquake victims in 2011 was the first time he was ever "allowed" to do such a thing? That's what I was told anyway.

The Imperial Household Agency keeps the imperial family under virtual house arrest most of the time. Hirohito used to get out and about but the Imperial Household Agency has changed things a bit in recent years, though I'm not really sure why other than keeping power and Akihito being more reclusive.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/05/23/national/politics-diplomacy/u-n-rapporteur-takes-tokyo-task-conspiracy-bill/#.WSQ7wLhBDgw

quote:

A heated war of words has broken out between Tokyo and a United Nations expert over a contentious bill that would criminalize conspiracies. That legislation was rammed through the Lower House on Tuesday despite raucous protests.

The government should take seriously a stern rebuke issued last week by Joe Cannataci, U.N. Special Rapporteur on the right to privacy, and rethink a hasty passage of the state-backed bill that would pave the way for a police crackdown on preparations for crimes — potentially at the expense of individual rights — opposition lawmakers told the Lower House plenary session in a last-ditch protest of the vote.

The bill, which will revise the current anti-organized crime law, nonetheless cleared the chamber with the backing of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party and partner Komeito, as well as the conservative opposition Nippon Ishin no Kai. It is now set to be deliberated in the Upper House.

The passage came hours after a suicide bomber struck a crowded Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, on Tuesday, killing at least 22, including children.

Asked about the attack, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the revised bill, which the government considers a prerequisite for Japan’s participation in the U.N.-designated convention against transnational organized crime, would play a key role in defending the country against a terrorist strike.

But in a letter dated Thursday addressed to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Cannataci expressed concerns over “the risks of arbitrary application of this legislation,” which he said could impinge on the right to privacy and other fundamental civil liberties.

The envisioned law’s definition of what would constitute the “planning” and “preparatory actions” remains vague, he said, and yet its coverage extends even to crimes unrelated to terrorism and organized crime.

“The allegedly expedited process used to push (the) draft law may have a detrimental impact on human rights since the fast-tracking of legislative procedures unduly limits broader public debate on this crucial matter,” Cannataci said.

Somewhat relevant, I found the YT channel Langley Esquire thanks to this thread and I was just watching this somewhat lengthy video from a couple years ago where it is claimed Japan is "an extremely liberal society with an extremely conservative majority party"

That lines up with all I've ever read on the news. People don't really support these right wing ideas, and the LDP have to brute force everything through, but they stay in power because... I dunno why.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 23, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

boomers

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/05/23/national/politics-diplomacy/u-n-rapporteur-takes-tokyo-task-conspiracy-bill/#.WSQ7wLhBDgw

Somewhat relevant, I found the YT channel Langley Esquire thanks to this thread and I was just watching this somewhat lengthy video from a couple years ago where it is claimed Japan is "an extremely liberal society with an extremely conservative majority party"

That lines up with all I've ever read on the news. People don't really support these right wing ideas, and the LDP have to brute force everything through, but they stay in power because... I dunno why.

Doesn't every other country on earth have a law against criminal conspiracy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(criminal)

I've read Japan doesn't because it did in the 1930s and that was used as a legal pretext for much of the political suppression in that period, and so the left parties have had it as a bugbear and refused to allow it postwar

It's entirely fine to not trust or like Abe or the LDP but like, sometimes I feel like people are a little bit too quick to screech fascist at Japan. At least wait until the guy starts actually doing stuff like suspending elections or having opposition parties arrested. At this point Abe's administration hasn't been much worse or different than Theresa May in Britain

The last point also applies to the politics in general. At this point in time I think you could actually make an argument Japan's political system has come to resemble that of Western Europe, just at a cyclical point where illiberal, one-nation conservatism is electorally ascendent, and the parties of the liberal left are a burning trainwreck. That describes the UK in 2017 as well as Japan

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 24, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

At this point Abe's administration hasn't been much worse or different than Theresa May in Britain

Holy poo poo! That bad?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Doesn't every other country on earth have a law against criminal conspiracy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(criminal)

I've read Japan doesn't because it did in the 1930s and that was used as a legal pretext for much of the political suppression in that period, and so the left parties have had it as a bugbear and refused to allow it postwar

It's entirely fine to not trust or like Abe or the LDP but like, sometimes I feel like people are a little bit too quick to screech fascist at Japan. At least wait until the guy starts actually doing stuff. At this point Abe's administration hasn't been much worse or different than Theresa May in Britain

Given that May ran cover for a literal corporate rape camp as Home Secretary, I'm not sure that's the most comforting analogy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't say things were good, just that they're probably not worse than some other places

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

I didn't say things were good, just that they're probably not worse than some other places

Doesn't really mean you should't strive for better or be afraid to criticise when needed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Truga posted:

Holy poo poo! That bad?

I can TOTALLY see Japan launching a massive defensive campaign to keep secret fishpeople from encroaching on their shores.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If there were criminal conspiracy laws they'd probably have to do something about the yakuza, maybe roll up to their clearly-labeled public offices and ask them nicely to stop being criminals?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Maybe they'll use it to go after the govt agencies that colluded with the preschool in Osakahahahaha

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

quote:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/02/17/national/osaka-preschool-scrutinized-passing-slurs-koreans-chinese/

“The kindergarten is open to people from any country, but they must conform to Japanese culture once they become Japanese,” Kagoike said.

lol what? Look out kids the culture police are on to you!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

If there were criminal conspiracy laws they'd probably have to do something about the yakuza, maybe roll up to their clearly-labeled public offices and ask them nicely to stop being criminals?

Uhh excuse me, they are a group who deeply cares about traditional Japanese values and frequently work with disenfranchised youth.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why is Shinzo Abe still the Prime Minister after 5 years straight?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

because Ozawa was just that lovely

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ekster posted:

Uhh excuse me, they are a group who deeply cares about traditional Japanese values and frequently work with disenfranchised youth.

They provide jobs for otherwise discriminated against ethnic Koreans.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Korean pachinko parlors well integrated into the Yakuza, or do they have their own miniature crime ring?

Grouchio posted:

Because that's how elections work? 5 years is a standard parliamentary term of office. Angela Merkel has been in office for 12 years and will probably serve another 4, for example. Japan's revolving door PM-ship in the postwar period was a weird anomaly by world standards. It was caused by the civilian governments being weak and a quasi-authoritarian bureacratic deep state being strong, and that is much less true today than it was in say the 1970s or 80s. Abe is probably the strongest prime minister modern Japan has ever had, and the first one to be really comparable to the same position in a 'normal' parliamentary system like Britain or Germany. Unfortunately he's a Nazi, but baby steps

Also because Ozawa was a giant train wreck like other poster said and the DPJ has still not gotten its poo poo back together

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 24, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There isn't any pachinko in Korea if that's what you mean. My understanding is most if not all pachinko is yakuza owned and a chunk of the money goes to North Korea. The modern yakuza is largely made up of ethnic Koreans and has business connections in both Koreas.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There isn't any pachinko in Korea if that's what you mean. My understanding is most if not all pachinko is yakuza owned and a chunk of the money goes to North Korea. The modern yakuza is largely made up of ethnic Koreans and has business connections in both Koreas.

Yeah I meant the ones in Japan owned by Koreans.

I didn't know the Yakuza was largely Korean, is that true? I thought the Yakuza had deep ties to the fascist far right? What do they think of their ranks being filled with untermenschen?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm not sure if it's the majority now that I'm thinking about it but they're at least a huge proportion. I don't know how they justify with all the ideology.

E: Casual googling is saying the yakuza is ~30% ethnic Korean, also lots of burakumin for the same marginalized-group-turns-to-crime thing that happens everywhere.

E2: Also since the yakuza isn't a single thing, there are apparently some yakuza groups that have Korean leadership and mostly Korean members.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 24, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Are the Korean pachinko parlors well integrated into the Yakuza, or do they have their own miniature crime ring?

Because that's how elections work? 5 years is a standard parliamentary term of office. Angela Merkel has been in office for 12 years and will probably serve another 4, for example. Japan's revolving door PM-ship in the postwar period was a weird anomaly by world standards. It was caused by the civilian governments being weak and a quasi-authoritarian bureacratic deep state being strong, and that is much less true today than it was in say the 1970s or 80s. Abe is probably the strongest prime minister modern Japan has ever had, and the first one to be really comparable to the same position in a 'normal' parliamentary system like Britain or Germany. Unfortunately he's a Nazi, but baby steps

Also because Ozawa was a giant train wreck like other poster said and the DPJ has still not gotten its poo poo back together

I was reading this article covering how a woman took over leadership of the DPJ. (which is apparently just the Democratic Party, not the Democratic Party of Japan, which is the name of other now defunct parties. I love learning about non-US political party systems)

It has a couple quotes of relevance here:

quote:

“Of the three candidates, she was the only one who has any chance of turning around the party’s fortunes,” said Gill Steel, an associate professor of politics at Doshisha University in Kyoto.

Dr. Steel added that for independent voters seeking change, “a party led by and comprised mainly of older men, particularly when younger women are touted as a reformist alternative, does not project an attractive image.”

Critics said it would take more than a fresh image to restore the Democratic Party to power.

“Although the cover page is being replaced, its content hasn’t changed,” said Atsuo Ito, a political commentator who has been secretary general for both the Liberal Democrats and the Democratic Party of Japan. On policy issues, the two parties have few differences.

So, are the Democratic Party an actual alternative to the LDP? Is it at all comparable to our situation in the US where are options are the Centrists-pretending-to-be-Left Wing vs. the Crazies?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 24, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The DP/DPJ/Minshinto is basically a merger of the old JSP and the liberal half of the LDP from before 1993.

The way Japan worked before 1993 was that you had 3 hardline, doctrinaire Marxist parties in the JSP, the DSP and the JCP that between them got like 40% of the vote consistently but not more, and were thus unable to enter national government ever, and a huge-tent party containing everyone to the right of them, probably equal to the US Republican and Democratic parties combined, in the LDP. The LDP could only barely be described as a coherent political party and was more like a loose federation of independent MPs

After 1993 the more center/liberal-leaning half of the LDP split under the leadership of a guy Ichiro Ozawa and refashioned itself as the current DP/DPJ/Minshinto, and ate all of the JSP's vote and absorbed many of their MPs. Their policies were pretty hardline Third Way center though, and have remained so

Ozawa was supposed to be the Japanese Bill Clinton/Tony Blair but the sheer weight of the corruption scandals that followed him tanked him. The old liberal half of the LDP had it's electoral basis in basically third world style transactional corruption/patronage politics among the small farmers who were a substantial part of the population before the country became fully industrialized in the 1970s, and Ozawa was the personal protege of basically the most corrupt man to lead a nominally first-world country in world history, Kakuei Tanaka

The party, or its antecedents before it was actually a coherent party were in power from 1993-1996 through splits and parliamentary maneuvers, and then from 2009-2012 through winning in a landslide on a moderately more left-leaning platform, but in both cases failed to hold on to power, partly because of infighting and partly because in both cases a huge earthquake disaster happened. So whatever fascist Shinto god rules Japan's natural environment really doesn't like the DPJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hanshin_earthquake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_earthquake_and_tsunami

Meanwhile with all the liberals gone the rump of the LDP turned into a coherent, illiberal right-wing party led by the son of a fascist war criminal Shinzo Abe by the time of their return in 2012. In the late 90s and early 2000s transition period you had Ryutaro Hashimoto, a remaining LDP liberal who actually reformed a lot of stuff and was probably the best PM Japan had in the last 20 years, and Junichiro Koizumi, a sort of conservative-libertarian fusion who was a racist nationalist but also deregulated and privatized stuff mostly for the better.

So basically the Japanese left was too radical to get elected before the 1990s, then sprinted so far to the center the public sees no reason to vote for them instead of the fascists. Renho seems like a party apparatchik Tom Perez style who is totally unfit for the task of winning an election. Latest polls have the DP/J at less than 10% support, compared to mid to low 30s for the LDP

https://twitter.com/ShingetsuNews/status/864314353549328384

https://twitter.com/ShingetsuNews/status/865890418164027392

Here's a good book on the structure and history of the LDP

http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100734570

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 24, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

The DP/DPJ/Minshinto is basically a merger of the old JSP and the liberal half of the LDP from before 1993.

The way Japan worked before 1993 was that you had 3 hardline, doctrinaire Marxist parties in the JSP, the DSP and the JCP that between them got like 40% of the vote consistently but not more, and were thus unable to enter national government ever, and a huge-tent party containing everyone to the right of them, probably equal to the US Republican and Democratic parties combined, in the LDP. The LDP could only barely be described as a coherent political party and was more like a loose federation of independent MPs

After 1993 the more center/liberal-leaning half of the LDP split under the leadership of a guy Ichiro Ozawa and refashioned itself as the current DP/DPJ/Minshinto, and ate all of the JSP's vote and absorbed many of their MPs. Their policies were pretty hardline Third Way center though, and have remained so

Ozawa was supposed to be the Japanese Bill Clinton/Tony Blair but the sheer weight of the corruption scandals that followed him tanked him. The old liberal half of the LDP had it's electoral basis in basically third world style transactional corruption/patronage politics among the small farmers who were a substantial part of the population before the country became fully industrialized in the 1970s, and Ozawa was the personal protege of basically the most corrupt man to lead a nominally first-world country in world history, Kakuei Tanaka

The party, or its antecedents before it was actually a coherent party were in power from 1993-1996 through splits and parliamentary maneuvers, and then from 2009-2012 through winning in a landslide on a moderately more left-leaning platform, but in both cases failed to hold on to power, partly because of infighting and partly because in both cases a huge earthquake disaster happened. So whatever fascist Shinto god rules Japan's natural environment really doesn't like the DPJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hanshin_earthquake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_earthquake_and_tsunami

Meanwhile with all the liberals gone the rump of the LDP turned into a coherent, right-wing party led by the son of a fascist war criminal Shinzo Abe

So basically the Japanese left was too radical to get elected before the 1990s, then sprinted so far to the center the public sees no reason to vote for them instead of the fascists

Here's a good book on the structure and history of the LDP

http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100734570

Thanks! Looks like I can get it on Kindle which works better for me.

Also

quote:

So whatever fascist Shinto god rules Japan's natural environment really doesn't like the DPJ

"America's identity is freedom. France's identity is freedom, equality and fraternity. Japan has no sense of that. Only greed. Materiality greed, monetary greed.[50]
This greed bounds with populism. These things need to be washed away with the Tsunami. For many years the heart of Japanese always bounded with devil.[51]
Japanese's identity is greed. We should avail of this tsunami to wash away this greed. I think this is a divine punishment"

Shintaro Ishihara

I was watching and reading a lot of Japanese politics stuff today which dropped several names I didn't recognize so I had to head over to Wikipedia. He was one of them. His Wiki article is...something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I was watching and reading a lot of Japanese politics stuff today which dropped several names I didn't recognize. He was one of them. His Wiki article is...something.

Discovering Ishihara for the first time is magical. :allears: He's quite the guy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

At least Taiwan is still the best country in Asia

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/world/asia/taiwan-same-sex-marriage-court.html

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Discovering Ishihara for the first time is magical. :allears: He's quite the guy.

Wasn't he also very very gay with Yukio Mishima?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

caberham posted:

Wasn't he also very very gay with Yukio Mishima?

He was very with Mishima and Mishima was gay, but I don't think it's ever been said they had any kind of thing. Ishihara's definitely spoken out against homosexuality, not that that necessarily means anything.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

basically the most corrupt man to lead a nominally first-world country in world history, Kakuei Tanaka

I remember a couple of years ago there was a book called TENSAI (Genius) about Tanaka written by Ishihara Shintaro. I couldn't bring myself to read it, but the title combined with the author told me enough.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

because Ozawa was just that lovely
Worse than Mori?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Worse than Mori?

Let's just say that the DPJ PMs pretty much destroyed any possibility that they'll be back in power for quite some time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Icantfindaname did a good job of explaining the history of the LDP, and I'll be reading the linked book as soon as I have money, but what exactly did the Democratic Party do that ruined their chances for coming to power again in the near future?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

NikkolasKing posted:

So Icantfindaname did a good job of explaining the history of the LDP, and I'll be reading the linked book as soon as I have money, but what exactly did the Democratic Party do that ruined their chances for coming to power again in the near future?

When it really boils down to it? They raised the consumption tax.

The seeds were sown in 2010. This article gives a good summary about the situation. If Kan had kept his mouth shut, they wouldn't have lost the upper chamber.

This became crucial in 2012 when Noda was PM. He staked his political life on pushing through the consumption tax increase to the point where he had to weather a no-confidence vote from his own party. However, the voting public was pissed off enough that they threw the DPJ right back out of power after a scant 3+ years - and as people struggle with even 8% (from 5%) now, when it's supposed to go to 10% soonish, nobody is forgetting who did this to them.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah I remember when just before the tax was set to go up to 8% and people were always like "Welp better go buy a ton of stuff before the tax goes up!" And they'd be referring to like, groceries and poo poo.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

To be fair Europe manages fine with ~20% VAT, even if it's a lovely somewhat regressive tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I also remember Hatoyama staking his political career on the Okinawa base issues, it was a stupid play that had no chance of success and it really hurt the party's credibility.