Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I always use my cash stack. It starts in your pockets so it's very inconspicuous, it's often a low enough denomination that nobody will care to steal it, and it has a nice, easy sprite to click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Carrying a pen is fine if you're also carrying some paper, especially a clipboard. Doing a simple paper-based gimmick is an easy way to buy yourself some slack and access with the crew.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Probably the least suspicious items would be air tanks or breath masks. Everyone generally tries to get internals these days. Having more than 1 set though might be cause for concern for the extremely paranoid. Beyond that, you could have a bottle of anything. Wine, beer, hell even limeade, would almost definitely get overlooked, but might also try to get sipped.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

neogeo0823 posted:

Probably the least suspicious items would be air tanks or breath masks. Everyone generally tries to get internals these days. Having more than 1 set though might be cause for concern for the extremely paranoid. Beyond that, you could have a bottle of anything. Wine, beer, hell even limeade, would almost definitely get overlooked, but might also try to get sipped.

Well that's why you carry the Grandma's Orange and a bottle of tequila you spiked with sulfuric acid and napalm.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sleepy penning people with flammable stuff can prove entertaining in and of itself, especially when they inevitably encounter a source of heat and start screaming WHY AM I ON FIRE over the radio.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
For a good time as a traitor on Cogmap 1, it's trivial to set up disposals such that anyone flushed down will end up in an infinite loop from which there is no escape (until someone wrenches one of the pipes, at least). Examining pipe pieces closely and noting the arrows on the T sections should make it fairly obvious how to accomplish this. Who needs clown cars?

Note that fat people will actually get stuck in disposal pipes. Try not to flush yourself down if you are fat!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Derringers can be hidden in any item of clothing, including glasses

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Just lol if u don't hide your c-saber in a saber-shaped stealth storage

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Just got done watching Alien Covenant. Someone who did a pass on the script at some point was definitely an SS13 player. References to optimal plasma air mixes, yelling at the AI to open doors and track people, slipping on blood stains...the only thing it's missing is a clown.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chickenwalker posted:

Just got done watching Alien Covenant. Someone who did a pass on the script at some point was definitely an SS13 player. References to optimal plasma air mixes, yelling at the AI to open doors and track people, slipping on blood stains...the only thing it's missing is a clown.

:same:

Also a hilariously incompetent command structure, albeit with the captain and hop roles switched.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
David makes me wish we had replicants again. All it took to make one was splashing a beaker if synthflesh onto a borg body. Also the alium game mode... :sigh:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
death commandos re-added when

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Apparently the RNG thinks I look like leadership material, because I've played six games, and been the AI three times, the Captain twice, and a janitor. Despite having no idea what I was supposed to be doing as AI, I just opened doors and tried to keep an eye on people.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is Porktonium II still a thing?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
So I was bored and died fairly early in a goonstation run when I evad and couldn't find my way back inside, so I made the mistake of joining another random server.

First mistake, I didn't read the rules. If I had, I would have learned these guys played with very few antags because they'd modded the station to be extra deadly. But rules are for noobs. I joined as some kind of assistant equivalent, something called civilian. So I did what I always do, I durdled around, and very quickly noticed this was a NO FUN zone. If you wanted access to things, you had to fill out paperwork, if you wanted to do anything at all, you needed permission, and security was running around arresting people for the stupidest poo poo. Worse, what felt like every 5 minutes "FTL" would trigger and knock you over, annoying as gently caress. So I decided I was going to turn FTL off.

I figured FTL would be somewhere in engineering, so I skulked around maintenance with my trusty tools, (which I had gotten by wandering into the security area and just grabbing a toolbox when security was off arresting someone for littering or some poo poo), luck was in my favor, there'd been some nature of engineering thing go down and all the engineers left, so when I forced the door, there was no one there. So I waltzed over to the console, and found there were controls for the FTL, shields and weapons. I just set them all to 0. And for good measure smashed the console a bunch with my toolbox.

My next mistake was not just leaving then, as almost immediately engineering showed up (as I was trying to break open the gravity generator), they surrounded me until security showed up, and dragged me off, I resisted by calling security all kinds of names, but it was futile. Just as I arrive in security, however, all hell breaks loose, I'm hit with a missile that breaks through security, killing me and the guy arresting me instantly. Pandemonium ensues as fire roars across the ship, explosions everywhere, while engineering screams about the shields being down. Yeah. It turns out that shields were kind of important. At this point, I assume I'm booted from the server, as I disconnect and can't reconnect anymore.

But that's how I torpedoed an entire round by trying to stop a minor annoyance.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Apparently the RNG thinks I look like leadership material, because I've played six games, and been the AI three times, the Captain twice, and a janitor. Despite having no idea what I was supposed to be doing as AI, I just opened doors and tried to keep an eye on people.

Gotta put AI on unwanted or you'll get it every time. I think once most people play it for the first time, they don't want to again...

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Either you come up with a fun gimmick to play as or you go insane.

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Is Porktonium II still a thing?

I wasn't aware if that was ever a thing and I've done code diving to look at disabled chems before.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

neogeo0823 posted:

Crowbars have been my go-to in the past, I even got some traitor gear back after getting dunked on by sec, brigged and released, because I asked the guard least involved with me for my stuff back. He even double checked the backpack before he gave it back! Too bad he didn't check that crowbar!

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Either you come up with a fun gimmick to play as or you go insane.

I wasn't aware if that was ever a thing and I've done code diving to look at disabled chems before.

Doesnt THE MONSTER give you a lethal amount of porktonium?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheCog posted:

So I was bored and died fairly early in a goonstation run when I evad and couldn't find my way back inside, so I made the mistake of joining another random server.

First mistake, I didn't read the rules. If I had, I would have learned these guys played with very few antags because they'd modded the station to be extra deadly. But rules are for noobs. I joined as some kind of assistant equivalent, something called civilian. So I did what I always do, I durdled around, and very quickly noticed this was a NO FUN zone. If you wanted access to things, you had to fill out paperwork, if you wanted to do anything at all, you needed permission, and security was running around arresting people for the stupidest poo poo. Worse, what felt like every 5 minutes "FTL" would trigger and knock you over, annoying as gently caress. So I decided I was going to turn FTL off.

I figured FTL would be somewhere in engineering, so I skulked around maintenance with my trusty tools, (which I had gotten by wandering into the security area and just grabbing a toolbox when security was off arresting someone for littering or some poo poo), luck was in my favor, there'd been some nature of engineering thing go down and all the engineers left, so when I forced the door, there was no one there. So I waltzed over to the console, and found there were controls for the FTL, shields and weapons. I just set them all to 0. And for good measure smashed the console a bunch with my toolbox.

My next mistake was not just leaving then, as almost immediately engineering showed up (as I was trying to break open the gravity generator), they surrounded me until security showed up, and dragged me off, I resisted by calling security all kinds of names, but it was futile. Just as I arrive in security, however, all hell breaks loose, I'm hit with a missile that breaks through security, killing me and the guy arresting me instantly. Pandemonium ensues as fire roars across the ship, explosions everywhere, while engineering screams about the shields being down. Yeah. It turns out that shields were kind of important. At this point, I assume I'm booted from the server, as I disconnect and can't reconnect anymore.

Did Cogwerks get SA banned? For what?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Chickenwalker posted:

Did Cogwerks get SA banned? For what?

I have no relation to Cogwerks, despite the similar name.

EDIT: According to his profile he's not banned.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

Doesnt THE MONSTER give you a lethal amount of porktonium?

Yeah so just talking porkontium it still exists. Also in bacon cake and other terrible things for you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Set AI to unwanted unless you want to play it. Not many people want to play AI, so you're more likely to draw it than many of the popular fun roles.

As for playing AI, it's really about the right mindset. You're​ very limited in what you can actually do on your own, and you're subject to human commands, but you still have plenty of leeway to play miscreant or team up with a human whose gimmick you like. You're the station's servant, but not necessarily their friend; you're not required to intervene in station disasters or dedicate yourself to hunting down antags on sight. The default lawset doesn't really obligate you to do anything beyond following direct orders from humans, and even then you can ignore some orders if they're not from a Head. Aside from that, just do whatever you think would make things interesting.

What can the AI actually do? Mainly, you can circumvent access restrictions on electronic items and access them remotely. The only job whose duties you can do completely unaided is Quartermaster (the MULEbot can pick up crates on its own, and so can the QM pods, which can be piloted by AI shells). Aside from that, you can do some computer-heavy tasks, like shuffling the station budget or operating securitrons and other robots, as well as network gimmickery. If you have a human co-conspirator, though, you can do a lot to aid them, and there are a number of ways for the AI to communicate privately with people. Obviously, you shouldn't do something like let the clown into the armory, but unlocking a Botany locker and ordering a bunch of plant pots so the clown can grow as many bananas and tomatoes as he wants? Why not?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
A lot of roboticists are happy to give you a full borg shell instead of the default ones, too. If they don't know how to make them it's helpful to know yourself.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
What I like to do as AI is locate the obvious traitors then just merrily follow them around with my cameras, watching as their plans unfold in what they think is total secrecy. It's like playing as an observer ghost, except sometimes people break in and try to play dumb games with you. Once you've gotten into the mindset that the antics of these silly humans is not your problem, it becomes very amusing to watch the initial stages of the chaos get set up.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

TheCog posted:

Going on other servers is always a gamble. I think I've only once found another server that wasn't that bad. The Colonial Marines vs Alien servers are alright.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The main thing about AI is it is very much an RP-heavy role, so you have to be able to have fun being a radio voice.

Might be cool for an AI to have built in emag access, though, at least on some stuff.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

How was I to know that I'd get spaced when someone uploaded an AI law that made skeletons (who were 90% of the station's population thanks to an artifact) nonhuman and a threat to humans?

Good thing I had a fire extinguisher that I used as a thruster to make it to the mining base, into a pod, and back to the station! :sun:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There's a new game mode going on in LLJK#2 tonight so jump on everyone if you can.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I jumped in as a sous-chef. The real chef had the Swedish Chef trait. I started speaking actual Swedish to him. He gave me his Chef ID and said I'm more Swedish so I'm promoted to chef. :v:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the new american football uniform proved quite underwhelming. I didn't get any kind of tackle verb like I'm apparently supposed to, and the football I hucked at someone knocked them down for mabye 5 seconds. :(

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Well, the new american football uniform proved quite underwhelming. I didn't get any kind of tackle verb like I'm apparently supposed to, and the football I hucked at someone knocked them down for mabye 5 seconds. :(

5 seconds is more than enough time to totally gently caress somebody up.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Wraiths seem really strong. What the hell are you supposed to do to fight them if people keep scuffing up salt lines?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Barent posted:

Wraiths seem really strong. What the hell are you supposed to do to fight them if people keep scuffing up salt lines?

Best way is to get ecto-googles or ecto-eyeball implants. You won't be able to shoot them but you will be able to melee them. Also something like killing wraiths requires the wraith do something stupid like walking over salt lines to expose himself when he doesn't need to. Also, you practically NEED the whole ship to work together to kill it three times because if it sees a threat it can simply decide to go somewhere else, or taunt you just by floating out in space, or go though walls where you can't follow.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
A Wraith has to exert basically all of its cooldowns to kill one person if that person isn't already opportunistically in danger. A good Wraith will almost certainly be unkillable -- they'll never touch salt and they'll notice if someone can see them -- especially if they've got some WP regen under their belt. But it's possible to put yourself in a situation where the Wraith can't really kill you: Be grouped, have weapons (preferably melee, guns can be Bad™), take out all skeletons and possessed objects quickly so they don't accumulate, and keep medical stuff on hand to heal the damage from Command and the like (it should be mild). Run away from Revenants, unless you have a gun; that's the exception to the guns rule as the Wraith can't knock you down and possess your gun while they're in a Revenant, and they're slow and have limited ranged cooldowns.

Also stop dying in dumbass places, stop hiding alone in your department without talking to anyone, and stop leaving corpses lying around the station. Clone people, or if you can't do that put them in a morgue tray or cremate them or crusher them or something. Good Wraiths can still get corpses to eat but denying even 1-3 bodies drastically limits its threat curve as a Wraith becomes infinitely more difficult to kill at around 5+ absorptions when its WP generation outstrips its spending and it can use almost every ability on cooldown. Starve the Wraith and it'll be lucky to hit that point by 40-45 minutes which usually means it barely has any round left to cause mayhem.

Don't fixate on killing the Wraith, just mitigate and it'll be an annoyance at best. If the Wraith is dumb or fucks up by all means keep killing it, though bear in mind that banishing it even once basically fucks the Wraith completely unless the station is a charnel house (in which case what the gently caress, spacemen).

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
You only need to kill the wraith twice now to get rid of it for good. Put salt under tables or on walls where people can't muck it up accidentally and/or it's hard to see.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also kill all the monkeys and get rid of their bodies ASAP for god's sake it's like a neverending buffet for wraiths and they know it

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

A wraith is a horror movie villain and so you should totally be going off alone and dying to random poo poo like would happen in a real horror movie. :colbert:

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Joined a round late, as the Janitor. Struck up conversation with the barman, while I mopped the blood and gibs off the floor. In runs a wizard, and he promptly turns me into a bird. I try to follow, but give up when I lose him. The barman, feeling sympathetic for me, goes to get me a drink - and then a bomb that the wizard set went off. The barman tries to get me to safety, but collapses, and so it's time for a HERO BIRD! I grab him, and start pulling him towards Medical - and then the wizard comes back, right as we're reaching it.

Cackling, the wizard pronounces another eldritch spell, and now my barman friend is a pug! Realizing that there's nobody else left to help us, we decide that it's time to go after that cackling spell-slinger ourselves. We find him on the bridge, and a pitched battle ensues - but alas, my frail bird body takes one laser bolt to the torso, and promptly becomes a fried snack, enabling the wizard to escape. The pug, seeing my broken bird body, swears revenge! And thus, across the length of the station, the chase is on! Proving surprisingly resilient in melee combat against the foul sorcerer, the pug is felled by the same laser bolts that slew me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Baleful Polymorph is a great spell. Not as cruel as Clown's Revenge but still funny as hell.