Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rutibex posted:

Tony Hawk Underground 1 was the best skateboarding game ever made. all skateboarding games afterwards were a downgrade

The helicopter jump is still dope as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I wish I could have sided with Ganondorf at the end of Windwaker. Dude just missed his homies.

Also, that game was extremely entertaining in the fact that it provided Zelda nostalgia and created a great atmosphere. I also liked Zelda Seasons and Ages.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The witcher 3 setting is so loving generic and I can't stand Gerald's always raspy voice

I cant believe people are excited about a Netflix series based on that piece of crap

The video game isn't good either

I just hate not seeing what's supposed to be great about Da Witcher but it just screams "crap" to me

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The combat in witcher 3 sucked, and half the game was just following a red trail using detective vision.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I tried playing the Witcher 1 after getting it on steam for a buck, and I cannot fathom how that piece of poo poo ever got a sequel.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I read the first book and it sucked. I'm not surprised it got a game though - it's self insert fan wankery.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

HAT FETISH posted:

Terranigma is the best snes game

I actually really dug that game too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in-game achievements should unlock hidden costumes or cheats like invincibility or unlimited ammo instead of solely being used for bragging rights, and i'm shocked that this hasn't occurred to any developer yet

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

in-game achievements should unlock hidden costumes or cheats like invincibility or unlimited ammo instead of solely being used for bragging rights, and i'm shocked that this hasn't occurred to any developer yet

if a game has cheat codes then how are you going to sell in game currency? idiot, your just leaving money on the table!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah sorry cash shops/DLC killed cheat codes and anything that resembles them.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've tried to get into the Witcher series, but I always just end up wanting to play Gothic 1, Gothic 2 or Risen 1 instead.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Witcher series is loved in spite of it's combat systems, not because of. Like Elder Scrolls games but with good writing.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Both Diablo 1 and 3 are way better on PlayStation.

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 4 are the best in the series because MGS gets better the further off the rails the story goes.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Chrono Trigger is the greatest game ever.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Laslow posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 4 are the best in the series because MGS gets better the further off the rails the story goes.

Agreed on almost all counts except MGS 4 is so very unfun to play and doesn't have FISSION MAILED so Sons of Liberty reigns supreme.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Laslow posted:

Diablo 1 on playstation is great, because it lets me play Diablo on my tablet :D

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Maybe it's better on emulators, but I remember it taking like 5 minutes to load a level on the psx version.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Laslow posted:

http://i.imgur.com/QhTs1bJ.gifv

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

loving port Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise to PC already, fuckers.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

video games are

fun

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

a new study bible! posted:

loving port Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise to PC already, fuckers.

Emulate it

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

SpaceClown posted:

Emulate it

I thought 360 emulation was busted?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It is, i was being ironic

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HAT FETISH posted:

Terranigma is the best snes game

wrong thread

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

Half-Life 3 should be set a real-time number of years after the events of the Half-life 2 and we've won whatever war it is and now instead of being an FPS it's a meaningful and thought-provoking walking simulator. Your encounters tell a story of Gordon Freeman reflecting upon his past, present and future during a midlife crisis.
No I mean in terms of gameplay. Can Half-Life 3 really be as groundbreaking as Half-Life 1? Half-Life 2 wasn't even as groundbreaking as Half-Life 1 (it wasn't even the first game with a physics engine -- I remember Max Payne 2 had physics). If Valve made an FPS today, it wouldn't really stand out from the other FPS games on the market. The Portal games were, IMO, were the real next class act that Valve put out. I had never seen anything like it before. More amazing than even Half-Life, if you ask me. The sad thing is that Portal never really started a genre because the portal gun is not a flexible gameplay mechanic (though there are a lot of puzzle games that are kinda like Portal in structure, eg The Talos Principle).

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 22, 2017

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I feel like Valve is going to use Half-Life 3 to showcase some new tech that they feel is the way forward. Maybe VR if the quality gets better and cost comes down significantly.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Kurzon posted:

No I mean in terms of gameplay. Can Half-Life 3 really be as groundbreaking as Half-Life 1? Half-Life 2 wasn't even as groundbreaking as Half-Life 1 (it wasn't even the first game with a physics engine -- I remember Max Payne 2 had physics). If Valve made an FPS today, it wouldn't really stand out from the other FPS games on the market. The Portal games were, IMO, were the real next class act that Valve put out. I had never seen anything like it before. More amazing than even Half-Life, if you ask me. The sad thing is that Portal never really started a genre because the portal gun is not a flexible gameplay mechanic (though there are a lot of puzzle games that are kinda like Portal in structure, eg The Talos Principle).

Portal 2 had that liquid mechanic that's been popping up all over since then. Course valve bought that, they didn't create it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I agree, besides Valve doesn't really make games anymore anyway, right?

Just release the rough story draft, let us know how Gordon was supposed to beat the space slugs and escape the Black Lodge and let people have their closure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jetpacks are one of the worst gameplay mechanics ever added to games. They really have no place in games outside of platformers or games based around mobility. They pop up in multiplayer games that don't need them, ruining the balance because the maps are not based around the use of jetpacks but everyone wants to be Boba Fett so they zip around like assholes getting shot out of the sky achieving nothing.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jetpacks are one of the worst gameplay mechanics ever added to games. They really have no place in games outside of platformers or games based around mobility. They pop up in multiplayer games that don't need them, ruining the balance because the maps are not based around the use of jetpacks but everyone wants to be Boba Fett so they zip around like assholes getting shot out of the sky achieving nothing.

Star Wars Battlefront kind of sucked but the jetpack in that game was ok because it presented tactical options in an otherwise fairly vanilla experience.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Halo Reach was really good

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

i'm really curious about what games you're talking about here because the ones i've played that have jetpacks (destiny, blops3) absolutely have their maps designed around it, to a really noticeable degree

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The witcher 3 setting is so loving generic and I can't stand Gerald's always raspy voice

I cant believe people are excited about a Netflix series based on that piece of crap

The video game isn't good either

I just hate not seeing what's supposed to be great about Da Witcher but it just screams "crap" to me

I can't get into it either. I'm trying, but I've already got it turned down to 'easy' so I can just breeze through poo poo while cutting dudes in half, and I skip half of the dialogue anyways so it's not a great sign of me finishing it.

Although I'm loving that Wildlands game even though it's quite average in a lot of ways (Why do the guns have the ballistics of paintball guns!? Why can't I choose who I kill and who I extract?) so I probably just have lovely taste in games. Or I'm hard up for decent tactical shooter games on the XBone. Probably both.

new phone who dis posted:

Star Wars Battlefront kind of sucked but the jetpack in that game was ok because it presented tactical options in an otherwise fairly vanilla experience.

Battlefront is such a good-looking game that I still enjoy playing it for an hour here and there.

UncleMoeLester
Oct 25, 2016

Midget Fiddler
Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

Dead rising had achievement unlocks

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

lol the jetpack towards the end of GTA:SA was pretty excellent, I was going to post how maybe more games should have one? (as a late game or end of game/complete all missions reward)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Arcsquad12 posted:

There was a Battlefield 1942 expansion that added these battlefield pickup jetpacks that were so, so bad. They were a trap, and it was great fun to shoot people out of the sky like clay pigeons.

But yeah, in games designed around it they are rad. Like Tribes. Man, that game was good

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that canyon level in Shadows of the Empire sucked, but not because it required the jetpack. it was because it was long as hell and the boss battle was bullshit

the Duck Dodgers game for the SNES had a good jetpack mechanic as well

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Jet Force Gemini dog had dog rocket boosters, those were good jetpacks imo, cute dog

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Re: Jetpacks. Giants: Citizen Kabuto did jetpacks right for a fun team shooter (with a little base-building thrown in). They had enough fuel that you could hurt yourself if you didn't time your jumps but you could also get a great lay of the land and wreak havoc on ground forces. I don't know why that game didn't get much love. I remember having great fun at it.

vv oh, yeah. Duke, too.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

i will not stand for someone disparaging Duke Nukem 3d :argh: