Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Fairy tether fills the bar, but I don't think they said what you spend the bar on.

I just went back to the video and the tether seems to be draining while tethered, and goes up when he dpses. She also translates something about "don't let it run out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably fairy suicides if it runs out.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Consolidating combos in PVE would make it simpler, not easier, but simpler is not always better

Annoying complexity is never better though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can think of times where I'd rather use Demolish on a new monster instead of snap punch on one that's going to be dead within seconds. It might not be 100% best practice but it gets it ticking down.

If my button is showing me Snap Punch instead of Demolish because it's thinking it's the optimum solution, it's a pain in the arse to use Demolish. I'd rather do it all myself.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

For some reason everyone is excited about hitting Fell Cleave more often in a row, but no one mentioned the rad punch move? Screw up priorities.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Truga posted:

Probably fairy suicides if it runs out.

Monk has six buttons in its core rotation; cutting that down to, say, two (for back and side rotations) would make it much more difficult to weave the combos together as is often necessary for proper monk play.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Where'll the full stream of the letter end up living once it's done? I'd like to check it out after work tonight.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Truga posted:

a lot of the engagement in the game comes from the rotational complexity. if i had to fight a mob by pressing '1' every 2 seconds, guess what that would be? really loving boring. rotational complexity is bad in pvp because it is difficult to actively track moving targets who are doing their best to behave unpredictably while also inputting your combos.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

Where'll the full stream of the letter end up living once it's done? I'd like to check it out after work tonight.

The youtube stream will likely switch to a pre-recorded video once finished. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ka3PwPa1JI

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Monk has six buttons in its core rotation; cutting that down to, say, two (for back and side rotations) would make it much more difficult to weave the combos together as is often necessary for proper monk play.

I don't see how this is the case at all. One button shows rear attacks, one shows sides, they both change based on what form you're in.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If my button is showing me Snap Punch instead of Demolish because it's thinking it's the optimum solution, it's a pain in the arse to use Demolish. I'd rather do it all myself.

They can leave all the buttons like they are, they should totally add combo options for people who want to have less poo poo on hotbars though.

Monk has 6 buttons in its core rotation, but it has like 30 total abilities at level 60, and it doesn't seem like it went down by much in 4.0. 6 Less buttons (flank, back, aoe) is super super good in this game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I can think of times where I'd rather use Demolish on a new monster instead of snap punch on one that's going to be dead within seconds. It might not be 100% best practice but it gets it ticking down.

The monk "consolidated combo" would basically just be turning 9 buttons into 6, I think. It'd be like:

[Bootshine][Arm of the Destroyer][Dragon Kick]
[ X ][ Y ][ Z ]

Where X, Y, and Z switch between being greyed-out/blank, your Form II skills, and your Form III skills depending on your current form.

Here's something else I really want: bootshine, arm, and dragon kick should get the "available proc!" yellow highlight whenever you're in Form I.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

a lot of the engagement in the game comes from the rotational complexity. if i had to fight a mob by pressing '1' every 2 seconds, guess what that would be? really loving boring. rotational complexity is bad in pvp because it is difficult to actively track moving targets who are doing their best to behave unpredictably while also inputting your combos.

agreed.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Klades posted:

I don't see how this is the case at all. One button shows rear attacks, one shows sides, they both change based on what form you're in.

you're right, I didn't think that example through

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This expansion is everything I've ever wanted. I'm happy. I'm so goddamn happy and hype.

gently caress OFF OLD CLERIC STANCE.

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's what I'm expecting:

-Some cool ability animations
-That one cute translator maybe?

Seems like we got a little more than a couple animations. ;)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Level skip discussion coming up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome! Jump potions!

I have new friends who are hype for playing but don't want to deal with grinding so this is nice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is excellent regardless of how much it does, unless they're expensive or not included with SB as a bonus.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Awesome! Jump potions!

I have new friends who are hype for playing but don't want to deal with grinding so this is nice.

here comes a stream of meatheads arguing that this will result in lovely players, forgetting about potd existing

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So I got in super late and haven't seen any discussion of this, but have they announced anything about basically overhauling TP and how it's used?

I ask because during the PVP demonstration playing a Dragoon they show that Jump now costs 400 TP and Piercing Talon 200 TP while the basic combos appeared to be free. I could honestly get behind them making TP only for "special" attacks, related to making Sprint free. Consider how many classes are using alternate resources I could totally see them going "Okay, regular rotations are free but you'll spend more TP on special stuff".

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

So I got in super late and haven't seen any discussion of this, but have they announced anything about basically overhauling TP and how it's used?

I ask because during the PVP demonstration playing a Dragoon they show that Jump now costs 400 TP and Piercing Talon 200 TP while the basic combos appeared to be free. I could honestly get behind them making TP only for "special" attacks, related to making Sprint free. Consider how many classes are using alternate resources I could totally see them going "Okay, regular rotations are free but you'll spend more TP on special stuff".

that's pvp only. it's like you're used to in pve

pvp is Entirely It's Own Thing now and uses a completely different action set than pve

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Office Surprise Store posted:

here comes a stream of meatheads arguing that this will result in lovely players, forgetting about potd existing

And it's not like there's a shortage of lovely players even now under the current regime.

Office Surprise Store posted:

that's pvp only. it's like you're used to in pve

Okey-doke. I could see it going either way honestly, so that's why I was curious.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Not mentioned specifically but it was probably considered in the entire rebalancing

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Haha, so you're basically buying a book of quest spoilers for your character!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
25.00 dollars? jesus thats a steal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

$25 to catch all the way up, oof

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Pretend you're a new scion who needs to get up to speed on what happened, and the book itself is a recruitment scam.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
drat, that is cheap as gently caress

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nasty price but a price gouge is to be expected considering their desirability.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Note Block posted:

drat, that is cheap as gently caress

:shobon:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

lmao what? you're pretty much saving money if you're considering the amount of time you'd have to actually spend running that content.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

25.00 dollars? jesus thats a steal.

$25 to catch all the way up, oof

Well that didn't take long!

I won't need to get either of these, I last played during 3.2 so I'm about halfway through the Heavensward quests and I like watching the cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doesn't a Fantasia + name change cost $20 anyway? Seems like it's about fine if you just want to make a second character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just generally: If in doubt, don't side with me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If its like the korean jump potions, that's just MSQ flagging and its another $25 for the level 60 skip potion, fwiw

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

homeless snail posted:

If its like the korean jump potions, that's just MSQ flagging and its another $25 for the level 60 skip potion, fwiw

Probably, they've not swapped to the next slide yet

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Still making it cheaper than WoW, and it's the better game so heyo!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Paying for less content is like negative DLC. I totally get why it's there, it makes complete sense, but it's still weird.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It doesn't raise your job levels, apparently. Sounds like a lot of PotD to get up to the SB content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
what does a combo pack of hw + arr cost? that + 25 bucks + stormblood (35 for base edition?) is a little rough but yeah you're skipping a ton of content so seems fair

• Locked thread