Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm glad we finally got to see who Tammy Preston was. She looked pretty much exactly as I thought she would. I hope she becomes a main player since she's probably the most informed of all this super natural poo poo thanks to reading through that mess of Twin Peaks history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Good.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I'm saying this as someone who really likes David Lynch and liked the new episodes so far, I was worried that this season would be all Lynch with no one holding him back, because the original series was not that at all. The end product is going to be good because Lynch is talented, but I think it is going to lose a lot of the magic of the first two seasons.

I don't think you could recapture it if you tried. Twin Peaks was made at a very specific moment in history. 50s nostalgia was very in, and there was absolutely nothing like prestige TV we have now. If he'd just made Twin Peaks Season 3 with Dale as I don't know...a pharmacist in Twin Peaks? It would just have flopped like a wet fart.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I'm probably just a huge Lynch nerd, but I honestly think these four hours of TV might be the best I have ever seen, and already have me rapt, perhaps even moreso than when I was first watching that euro pilot and falling in love.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I binged all four episodes this morning despite telling myself I would do one a night. Whoops.

So, I love it all and I'm really into it but yeah, this does not feel like the TV show at all and I won't be surprised if this is going to be TV fans/non-Lynch fans on one side of a line and FWWM/Lynch fans on the other.

But man, I am hooked on the slow burn pace of the mystery of the Lodge/Blue Rose. Gordon Cole is in fine form.

And Lucy not understanding cell phones is incredible.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Agreed. Lynch uses dream logic so well. So many TV shows have huge sprawling plots with a million threads. Somehow, despite taking place in Twin Peaks, Buckhorn, Las Vegas, and New York City all at the same time Twin Peaks feels like a much leaner creature. It's an experience, not a story. And I love that.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I don't think you could recapture it if you tried. Twin Peaks was made at a very specific moment in history. 50s nostalgia was very in, and there was absolutely nothing like prestige TV we have now. If he'd just made Twin Peaks Season 3 with Dale as I don't know...a pharmacist in Twin Peaks? It would just have flopped like a wet fart.

Oh yeah, definitely don't think they would be able to catch the zeitgeist of the original run, and this new season definitely seems to be in the vein of all the other super dark and serious tone stories that are in vogue now on premium television shows. I'm just a little disappointed, but I will still enjoy the new season for what it is.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Was Beulah in part 1 David Duchovny playing another character in drag?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Oh yeah, definitely don't think they would be able to catch the zeitgeist of the original run, and this new season definitely seems to be in the vein of all the other super dark and serious tone stories that are in vogue now on premium television shows. I'm just a little disappointed, but I will still enjoy the new season for what it is.

Have you watched a David Lynch movie made past 1992?

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
I thoroughly enjoyed the original Twin Peaks but this new season isn't doing it for me. I have a feeling there was no one around that had the balls to tell David Lynch "No".

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Have you watched a David Lynch movie made past 1992?

Yes, and this is the perfect time for a full season David Lynch movie to come out which I'm sure will net this season a lot of good reviews and viewers.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

fromsinkingsands posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed the original Twin Peaks but this new season isn't doing it for me. I have a feeling there was no one around that had the balls to tell David Lynch "No".

Thank loving god.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

Under the vegetable posted:

Thank loving god.

I know, right? We could totally use two more episodes of Cooper trying to function in society.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

fromsinkingsands posted:

Well there was and thats probably when Lynch left the revival effort a few months in lol, and thats when the bosses at showtime probably realized that no one would want a Lynch-less twin peaks, so they gave him free reign.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

fromsinkingsands posted:

I know, right? We could totally use two more episodes of Cooper trying to function in society.

I certainly could. Whatever the show does, I'm on board.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The first season of Twin Peaks was very much where David Lynch was at in terms of his film making in the 90s and this season is very much his style in the 00s. I would have been pretty surprised if he went back to working the way he did in the 90s.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

fromsinkingsands posted:

This, but unironically. Give me at least five.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I mean, even if it's not entirely what I want or like, it's incredibly fresh and feels very new and different. I'm compelled to watch all of it with interest because it's an actual person's ideas and not a focus group tested mess of fine tuned schlock.

For people who don't like this, check out that show Beyond. It's cheesy fun with a weird religious angle to the superheroics, and you'll see nothing really unconventional.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Yes, and this is the perfect time for a full season David Lynch movie to come out which I'm sure will net this season a lot of good reviews and viewers.

Thank loving god.

Whatever the show does, I'm on board.

Pretty much how I feel. It's almost definitely the last thing Lynch is directing or working on for film/television. He's got a 2 year old daughter (again) and just wants to sit at home chain smoking cigarettes and painting. In David Lynch: The Art Life, he even talks about hating/being afraid of driving now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think I found the inspiration for that thing in the box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQiSGb4Luw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Man-In-Madden posted:

Episodes 3 and 4 stuff:

The face ripping spirit was caught on video but Coop wasn't from the look of it. I was thinking it was maybe because he didn't have a physical body yet but then it's implied that the sex-havers barely missed seeing him. What do you guys think is happening there?

I noticed that the city lights from the window in the back of the box were still reflected by the camera lens after the inside of the box darkened.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some David Lynch fans seem to have this weird obsession with eating each other alive over which of his projects are "good" and which are "bad", and even project that onto others by implying that most fans of Lynch are fans of everything he's done, to some degree or other. Like, it's possible to be down with both The Straight Story and Inland Empire, it really is.

That said my favorite thing of his, ever, are the LA weather updates he posted every day on YouTube for like 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAhO4RE_A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EmiQc6Fr0

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

fromsinkingsands posted:

I take so much comfort in the fact that it's getting the exact same split down the middle polarized reaction that every single David Lynch project that wasn't The Straight Story gets. David Lynch is back for real.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I mean, even if it's not entirely what I want or like, it's incredibly fresh and feels very new and different. I'm compelled to watch all of it with interest because it's an actual person's ideas and not a focus group tested mess of fine tuned schlock.

A million times this. I think ep 4 hit a lot of the original Twin Peaks vibes, but goddamn did I love that entire 4 hours. There's just so many plates spinning right and I'm really interested in the South Dakota murder mystery, and the NY room with the Aphex Twin ghost, and the Horn brother's new hijinks, and what the hell the Doc is doing with golden shovels, and even a little curious as to what James with a head full of pudding is going to be about.

This show is filling a Lynch sized whole in my life that I didn't know I even had. The Cooper stuff is actually the least interesting parts to me so far. Can't remember what episode this is in so just ignore it if you haven't seen 3&4: can't wait for Coolper to get shot escaping prison or something and Dale to make his way back into the show proper.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Its canon btw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess I'm not surprised that Matthew Lillard can act because he was great last year in Halt and Catch Fire

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

precision posted:

I guess I'm not surprised that Matthew Lillard can act because he was great last year in Halt and Catch Fire

First of all lets never forget he was in the greatest movie of all time.

I'm talking of course about Hackers

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

precision posted:

Some David Lynch fans seem to have this weird obsession with eating each other alive over which of his projects are "good" and which are "bad", and even project that onto others by implying that most fans of Lynch are fans of everything he's done, to some degree or other. Like, it's possible to be down with both The Straight Story and Inland Empire, it really is.

That said my favorite thing of his, ever, are the LA weather updates he posted every day on YouTube for like 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAhO4RE_A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EmiQc6Fr0

It really is! This is my main thing about Lynch, he's just really loving good. His "weird" stuff isn't all he's capable of, the guy made one of the greatest biopics of all time, one of the greatest g-rated feel good family pictures of all time, a completely insane sci fi movie thats comparable to zardoz, he's got range. The guy's an American treasure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like a lot of people forget that more than half the first season is a meditation on grief, loss, depression, substance abuse, and suffering through unfulfilling relationships. The show seemed lighter because Coop emphasizes the joy you can experience during/in spite of/past the suffering.

But now we aren't in such times. It's rougher, harder, scarier, more depressing.

And Lynch doesn't have to hold back for TV censors anymore.

Very true. A lot of the comfy charm comes from Coop, or the town itself and some of its inhabitants. I'd be happy if the show stays pure Lynch mode, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just cranked to 11 until Coop gets his body/mind sorted, or until he returns to Twin Peaks, then eases some on the mindfuck unless Bob/the lodges/etc are involved. Cooper's journey should be trippy af.

However the show goes, staying crazy or toning down later, the feel of the original seasons wouldn't fly as well in 2017 as they did in the 90s. So much of that show's tone was riffing on the soaps of the time, and poo poo like Dynasty. I think even if Frost/the execs reigned Lynch in more, it still wouldn't ever feel the same, the show would have to evolve some with the times to work imo. Not unlike FWWM evolving to work differently as a movie. You can do much more on TV now than when the show was originally made, network or otherwise.

At any rate, I'm madly in love with episodes 1-4 and I'm excited for whichever direction or places the next fourteen hours take us.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To borrow the evolution metaphor, as 90s twin peaks is to a dwarf in a red suit dancing, the revival is to an electrified tree making flesh smacking noises

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only director I can think of with the absurd range of Lynch is Takeshi Miike, who has likewise done everything from Visitor Q to Crows Zero to Thirteen Assassins to, most recently, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Though Miike has directed an average of like 5 films a year for 15 years now so in:re volume of output he's the opposite of Lynch.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Hey what's this on Coop's head? Episode 2, so I'm leaving it unspoilered.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The only director I can think of with the absurd range of Lynch is Takeshi Miike, who has likewise done everything from Visitor Q to Crows Zero to Thirteen Assassins to, most recently, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Though Miike has directed an average of like 5 films a year for 15 years now so in:re volume of output he's the opposite of Lynch.

PT Anderson's done an two decade semi-factual industry epic, a neo-noir thriller, a Po-Mo family drama, a Scorsese-esque Rise/Fall Historical Semi-Western Drama , a period piece detective mystery, a semi-biographical religious picture and Adam Sandler rom-com, and now a movie about fashion. :colbert:

edit: and the Coen bros.

But yeah, Lynch is my favorite director by far.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Episode 3/4

i'm probably grasping at straws here but the sex worker who Dougie is with is named Jade and the ring is a jade ring. One apparently stops you from being possessed and the other stops your head from being blown off. Probably just a coincidence

Totally in so far. I'm so glad we get eighteen episodes of this.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

precision posted:

Didn't Miike make a live action Phoenix Wright?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thom and the Heads posted:

Episode 3/4

i'm probably grasping at straws here but the sex worker who Dougie is with is named Jade and the ring is a jade ring. One apparently stops you from being possessed and the other stops your head from being blown off. Probably just a coincidence

Totally in so far. I'm so glad we get eighteen episodes of this.
She also repeats the same dialogue that Mike told Good Coop in the Lodge!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dunno, to me seems a bit too out there, even for Lynch.

Seriously tho, loved the first two episodes (having understood probably around 20% so far at best); I kinda disagree that this is more FWWM than the original series, I did get the same vibes as from the series (I didn't like FWWM either).

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Shoehead posted:

Didn't Miike make a live action Phoenix Wright?

Yep. He's brilliantly talented and will make, apparently, any movie that anyone tells him to make at any time, as long as he's paid.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
This guy only has one functioning eyebrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010