Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
And I mean, regardless of your personal opinion of the content's quality, low level FFXIV is at least a functional game, unlike WoW, which is completely broken because of 10 years of revamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Note Block posted:

And in WoW, having multiple classes is a time sink regardless of what type of player you are, whereas having multiple jobs in FFXIV is required.

...but will it be with the way they're re-sorting the skills by role? I still haven't seen the dust completely clear (since I haven't watched the video) but my impression is that there might be less of a need to level your secondary classes after the rework.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ok Japan please go to sleep now :v:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Memnaelar posted:

...but will it be with the way they're re-sorting the skills by role? I still haven't seen the dust completely clear (since I haven't watched the video) but my impression is that there might be less of a need to level your secondary classes after the rework.

Yeah I dunno about that, I'm not a time traveler. I would say a majority of the player base will still play multiple jobs though because they are fun!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

With the revamp, there will be no need to level multiple jobs if you only care about one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Note Block posted:

And in WoW, having multiple classes is a small time sink regardless of what type of player you are, whereas having multiple jobs in FFXIV is required.

WoW's extremely time gated nowadays. You can get your level to 110 pretty painlessly but you're not going to be any good because everything is terribly time gated. Months of raw time is required to catch your character up to where people are now if you aren't sending heirloom style things over and obviously, people in front aren't standing still. The gap is insurmountable.

It's a great example of what not to do for FFXIV.

Except the giving people something free thing.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

With the revamp, there will be no need to level multiple jobs if you only care about one.

I am so, so glad I haven't bothered to level Gladiator for Provoke yet. I was not looking forward to an extra couple dozen PotD runs for JUST that purpose.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Note Block posted:

And in WoW, having multiple classes is a small time sink regardless of what type of player you are, whereas having multiple jobs in FFXIV is required.

Not anymore!(?)
(Role actions don't require you to unlock them via other classes, right?)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Also, now that it's over, I'm pretty loving excited about basically every single thing they announced today; I was sorta on the fence about SB but now this next month is going to be utter torture

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Which, by the way, the removal of the need to level multiple jobs would make the 25 dollar job Skip Potion an even better deal.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IO AM YO FATHA

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thumbtacks posted:

hey i was right

that's very high potency

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Also, now that it's over, I'm pretty loving excited about basically every single thing they announced today; I was sorta on the fence about SB but now this next month is going to be utter torture

:same:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Baby T. Love posted:

Not anymore!(?)
(Role actions don't require you to unlock them via other classes, right?)

Screenshots I dug up look like you get slots and Role Actions purely from leveling.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That presentation was extremely good and I hope they learn from this for fanfest. It's extremely satisfying to be told the meat and potatoes of the game is improving and have them show precisely how instead of them talking around it. I don't expect something this deep at initial announcements but just a bit of what to expect where it really matters.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

WoW's extremely time gated nowadays. You can get your level to 110 pretty painlessly but you're not going to be any good because everything is terribly time gated. Months of raw time is required to catch your character up to where people are now if you aren't sending heirloom style things over and obviously, people in front aren't standing still. The gap is insurmountable.

Except the giving people something free thing.

The Level Boost doesn't include any of that though. This is what I'm talking about. The 60 dollar Level Boost alone just skips maybe 50 hours of pretty painless work. It sucks if it's not free from being included with purchase. The MSQ and Job Skip potions are worthwhile and do not suck.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i wonder what the "we shouldn't talk about that yet, it isn't 100% confirmed' thing was they mentioned about an hour in

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That presentation was extremely good and I hope they learn from this for fanfest. It's extremely satisfying to be told the meat and potatoes of the game is improving and have them show precisely how instead of them talking around it. I don't expect something this deep at initial announcements but just a bit of what to expect where it really matters.
They probably didn't have any of this ready to show when fanfest was happening, though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol, gently caress you if you think you should be able to use boost potions but still do the quests or whatever. You made your choice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

homeless snail posted:

They probably didn't have any of this ready to show when fanfest was happening, though.

They definitely had parts of this to show when fanfests were happening.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh and hey, props to the livestreaming team for choosing the best background music from the best city in the game. La Noscea music is all so chill yet grandiose!

But yeah, after a very long hiatus I think I'd like to reinstall soon and get back on track with the MSQ. Looks like a lot of great changes are coming down the pipes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

do you even play wow? this isn't true at all. i sat down, got from 100-110 in like three days, and was running heroics and lfrs the next day, and mythic+ within the next week.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I was so dead set on playing red mage, but now what I hated about Bard is gone and being able to summon bahamut on my Summoner sounds extremely rad. I don't know what to do anymore :shrug:

Also for what it's worth (I do ultimately enjoy both games a lot) I would buy a level 60 boost in this game but would never buy one in WoW, leveling in that game for whatever reason doesn't feel like as much of a drag for me, whereas here running PotD once or twice is enough to make me want to log off, and fates are awful too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Samurai owns
New Dragoon stuff also owns

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Countblanc posted:

that's very high potency

Yeah no kidding. Flare's what, 3-400?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Petition to rename "Foul" to "Blight".

Also petition to rename "Astral Fire" to "Astral Flame".

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
New job stuff is tops and makes me excited playing them all. Still going to slampick SAM after getting WAR to 70.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think Flare is around 500 potency after Astral Fire III

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I feel like there really needs to be a big xp boost from 20 to 60. Enough that a daily ldr will push you to the next job quest. 1 to 20 still needs a boost but it's not as bad since that's to get players acclimated to the jobs basic mechanics. Level skip potions are nice but just increasing xp gain would be universally better.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I was just watching the stream an hour behind and it ended in the middle. What did they say after Accuracy was axed?

edit: the twitch stream seems to have recorded it live thankfully. Youtube stream decided to just delete the video.

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 22, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Someone give me a summary of the live letter, all I saw was a video showing off the new class UI and skills.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Flare is 260 potency aoe....

I'm really glad they made it so spamming transpose keeps a single stack up forever, so I can open dungeon aoe with fire 3, foul, flare, all swiftcasted.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Krysmphoenix posted:

I feel like there really needs to be a big xp boost from 20 to 60. Enough that a daily ldr will push you to the next job quest. 1 to 20 still needs a boost but it's not as bad since that's to get players acclimated to the jobs basic mechanics. Level skip potions are nice but just increasing xp gain would be universally better.
There will probably be a larger armory bonus but if you want 5 levels in a single leveling roulette I have bad news for you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was getting indecision anxiety about rdm vs sam but now I have it about all the classes what the heck

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

There will probably be a larger armory bonus but if you want 5 levels in a single leveling roulette I have bad news for you

Oh I know but can I still dream?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was a little worried that DRG wouldn't continue to be cool as gently caress but I'm not anymore

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was getting indecision anxiety about rdm vs sam but now I have it about all the classes what the heck

I was considering getting something other than BLM up to 60 first, but LOL NOPE!

Triple flare just got upgraded to foul + double flare and you can swiftcast all 3 lmfao

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I actually don't like the thing where you can and therefore have to keep up astral/umbral forever by using Tranpose on cooldown, I'm used to being able to chill between pulls/boss phases.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

cheetah7071 posted:

I was a little worried that DRG wouldn't continue to be cool as gently caress but I'm not anymore

Dragoon goes from having Blood of the Dragon to getting SUPER Blood of the Dragon. Assuming I get more ways to shoot dragons at people I will be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

I actually don't like the thing where you can and therefore have to keep up astral/umbral forever by using Tranpose on cooldown, I'm used to being able to chill between pulls/boss phases.

I just sprinted pulled poo poo as soon as I was in range to keep enochian up at times, it was silly and this is better :v:

• Locked thread