Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Where are ecoterrorists when you need them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Where are ecoterrorists

Rastor posted:

[Politicians] are hoping to commercialize methane hydrate-extracting technology between 2023 and 2027.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Touché

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Embrace it friends, this is the only way it can end

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's cool that this is still progressing exactly like my last Fate of the World play-through. Art imitating life or life imitating art? You decide!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Question, thread: I've vaguely heard things about rare earth metals being a constraining factor in solar panel manufacturing and development. Are there any good sources folks can point me to on that argument, whether it's legit or not?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Question, thread: I've vaguely heard things about rare earth metals being a constraining factor in solar panel manufacturing and development. Are there any good sources folks can point me to on that argument, whether it's legit or not?

According to my deep sources the USA fought the battles of Afghanistan in order to get back to sleep. China got the heavy metals.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Discendo Vox posted:

The US, South Africa, and Brazil used the be the main producers of rare earth metals, but China undercut everyone else. China does not have a majority of rare earth reserves, but almost zero other sites are profitable at Chinese prices.

http://geology.com/articles/rare-earth-elements/
https://www.energy.gov/maps/estimated-rare-earth-reserves-and-deposits

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rastor posted:

Good news, everyone! A new source of fossil fuels is being unlocked - methane hydrates!

So instead of waiting for the clathrate gun to go off we're going to top ourselves with it.

One last burst of self-wealth-determination before the cosmos goes numb once again.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It makes sense that there'd have been people hearing about the clathrate gun hypothesis thinking, "Wow, that sounds very carbon dense!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

One mans armageddon is another mans opportunity I guess.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
I'm just glad we're solving the Fermi paradox

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Accretionist posted:

It makes sense that there'd have been people hearing about the clathrate gun hypothesis thinking, "Wow, that sounds very carbon dense!"

I mean, burning methane is TREMENDOUSLY preferable to it being in the atmosphere.

It's just even better for it to be locked away entirely.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

golden bubble posted:

The US, South Africa, and Brazil used the be the main producers of rare earth metals, but China undercut everyone else. China does not have a majority of rare earth reserves, but almost zero other sites are profitable at Chinese prices.

http://geology.com/articles/rare-earth-elements/
https://www.energy.gov/maps/estimated-rare-earth-reserves-and-deposits

There was also some noises a few years back about the DoD subsidizing the mines out in California/Nevada for strategic purposes.

Rare earths, ironically, aren't very rare, but the higher grade ores are. We could possibly extract them from mine tailings of other mining operations in some cases, but yeah, Chinese prices make that unprofitable.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How accurate is this timeline, from 2008, still? http://www.livescience.com/1433-timeline-earth-precarious-future.html

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Most of the stuff under the 2100 header is already occurring today.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also if anyone says "don't worry we can just plant some more trees to soak up the CO2",

https://www.pik-potsdam.de/news/press-releases/climate-stabilization-planting-trees-cannot-replace-cutting-co2-emissions

quote:

the sheer size of the plantations for staying at or below 2°C of warming would cause devastating environmental consequences.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rime posted:

Most of the stuff under the 2100 header is already occurring today.

Man, this thread really makes all the others entirely pointless.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I decided to ramp back my retirement savings to just the amount my employer matches and spend the rest on a vehicle to explore the forests around my home that probably won't exist in 20 years due to widespread wildfires, thanks thread

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Huzanko posted:

Man, this thread really makes all the others entirely pointless.

this is the way climate, public health and environmental scientists usually feel about life.

It's inspiring to some because it's literally a race against time / certain doom which is galvanizing. But too many others end up on the despairing side, it's remarkable that we don't hear more about depression and suicide within the community.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rastor posted:

Also if anyone says "don't worry we can just plant some more trees to soak up the CO2",

https://www.pik-potsdam.de/news/press-releases/climate-stabilization-planting-trees-cannot-replace-cutting-co2-emissions

How much carbon do you think we could trap in Funko Pop dolls?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ol Standard Retard posted:

this is the way climate, public health and environmental scientists usually feel about life.

It's inspiring to some because it's literally a race against time / certain doom which is galvanizing. But too many others end up on the despairing side, it's remarkable that we don't hear more about depression and suicide within the community.

I assume directly fighting those problems is somewhat cathartic. More cathartic than standing by and being unable to do anything - anything that has an actual impact - about it like the rest of us.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Huzanko posted:

I assume directly fighting those problems is somewhat cathartic. More cathartic than standing by and being unable to do anything - anything that has an actual impact - about it like the rest of us.

to preempt this inevitable discussion: although systemic/policy/governmental level action is absolutely necessary, literally every meaningful change in history has started with people doing things individually, then collectively, in order to influence perception and create the dynamics and social pressure necessary for said actions to filter up to policy level changes. The individual is so atomized in western society (and saturated by information) that one person's capacity to Be Aware of the problem far outstrips their capacity to Do Things about the problem, but that's OK. It's not that Doing Things has become harder necessarily, it's that Being Aware has become much easier.

buying less poo poo, being mindful of and working to minimize your carbon footprint, and joining/supporting local groups financially are all Meaningful.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

There was also some noises a few years back about the DoD subsidizing the mines out in California/Nevada for strategic purposes.

Rare earths, ironically, aren't very rare, but the higher grade ores are. We could possibly extract them from mine tailings of other mining operations in some cases, but yeah, Chinese prices make that unprofitable.

Sorry, but I'm still missing some steps. How is this a constraint on solar? Do the Chinese refuse to sell for solar development?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ol Standard Retard posted:

to preempt this inevitable discussion: although systemic/policy/governmental level action is absolutely necessary, literally every meaningful change in history has started with people doing things individually, then collectively, in order to influence perception and create the dynamics and social pressure necessary for said actions to filter up to policy level changes. The individual is so atomized in western society (and saturated by information) that one person's capacity to Be Aware of the problem far outstrips their capacity to Do Things about the problem, but that's OK. It's not that Doing Things has become harder necessarily, it's that Being Aware has become much easier.

buying less poo poo, being mindful of and working to minimize your carbon footprint, and joining/supporting local groups financially are all Meaningful.

While I agree with you, the constant proclamations of doom that come from this thread just make me want to eat a bullet, or at least cease having long-term goals.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

call to action posted:

I decided to ramp back my retirement savings to just the amount my employer matches and spend the rest on a vehicle to explore the forests around my home that probably won't exist in 20 years due to widespread wildfires, thanks thread

I'm just trying to imagine a scenario where saving for retirement is a good idea for young people. And... I just can't... Things are going to be so drastically different by 2060 that you should probably avoid something that relies on a healthy and growing economy.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Huzanko posted:

There's a lot you can do! Real change has to come from the top down, but you can help make that top down change happen by involving yourself in environmental or political groups. And just because your individual consumption habits don't matter by themselves, you can still be more mindful of those habits and try to convince others to follow your example.

The importance of individual vs. collective action for climate activism is really pretty similar to politics in general. Your one single vote doesn't matter at all, but how people vote in aggregate does. If you can get out there and influence enough people then you can make a meaningful difference, however small it might be.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Huzanko posted:

Get into politics, we need you!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

There's a lot you can do! Real change has to come from the top down, but you can help make that top down change happen by involving yourself in environmental or political groups. And just because your individual consumption habits don't matter by themselves, you can still be more mindful of those habits and try to convince others to follow your example.

The importance of individual vs. collective action for climate activism is really pretty similar to politics in general. Your one single vote doesn't matter at all, but how people vote in aggregate does. If you can get out there and influence enough people then you can make a meaningful difference, however small it might be.

Like I said, earlier, I agree with you, but when I hear poo poo about the world basically ending in cinematic fashion inside 50 years, it is demotivating. Many posts in this thread make it sound like nothing but massive systemic change next Tuesday will avert a complete and total apocalypse. That doesn't sound to me like a problem anyone at all can do anything about.

I am not saying that is true, but that's why I asked about this timeline, which was responded to with a comment saying that things that were supposed to happen in 2100 are happening right now.

If it's not hopeless, that's great, but if we have 10 years to do anything about this, it is very much hopeless. I don't know enough about the situation to know what's true and what's hyperbole.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Minge Binge posted:

I'm just trying to imagine a scenario where saving for retirement is a good idea for young people. And... I just can't... Things are going to be so drastically different by 2060 that you should probably avoid something that relies on a healthy and growing economy.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hahaha oh my god we had no idea what was coming in 2008. That's hilarious, good find.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

The cool thing about trying to do something about climate change is that you'll become a healthier and better person as a consequence! ditching the car to walk or bike, Getting involved with local agriculture (either buy starting a garden yourself, or working with a co-op or something), helping out at things like bike/car/tool shares, downsizing your life, being happy with what you have around you (friends, family, the park, the beach, the forest, the mountains, the river). All this is dope stuff that will help you become better person with a deep and meaningful connection to the community around you. You don't know an apocalyptic event to do good things, but since we happen to be going through an apocalyptic level event, use it as a motivator! Maybe things won't end up so bad. Maybe there's some sort of positive feedback that balances it all out. maybe we figure out the science fiction needed to stop it all. Maybe we do get to live long and healthy lives. And if you did take action, you get to live a long and healthy live as a better person! How superb is that!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Minge Binge posted:

The cool thing about trying to do something about climate change is that you'll become a healthier and better person as a consequence! ditching the car to walk or bike, Getting involved with local agriculture (either buy starting a garden yourself, or working with a co-op or something), helping out at things like bike/car/tool shares, downsizing your life, being happy with what you have around you (friends, family, the park, the beach, the forest, the mountains, the river). All this is dope stuff that will help you become better person with a deep and meaningful connection to the community around you. You don't know an apocalyptic event to do good things, but since we happen to be going through an apocalyptic level event, use it as a motivator! Maybe things won't end up so bad. Maybe there's some sort of positive feedback that balances it all out. maybe we figure out the science fiction needed to stop it all. Maybe we do get to live long and healthy lives. And if you did take action, you get to live a long and healthy live as a better person! How superb is that!

I'm not arguing against people doing what they can and also becoming better people.

I am saying that every piece of climate change news basically says we're going to be living in Fury Road inside of 50 years and, oh, by the way, the Japanese want to find and burn all the methane and speed it all up.

It makes it very difficult to just go to work and get through the day, especially if you are lucky enough to have people you care about.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

Hahaha oh my god we had no idea what was coming in 2008. That's hilarious, good find.

Someone really should just go through that list piecemeal because christ.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Huzanko posted:

I'm not arguing against people doing what they can and also becoming better people.

I am saying that every piece of climate change news basically says we're going to be living in Fury Road inside of 50 years and, oh, by the way, the Japanese want to find and burn all the methane and speed it all up.

It makes it very difficult to just go to work and get through the day, especially if you are lucky enough to have people you care about.

As long as you don't have kids, the future of the planet is not such a burden. If you have kids I have no helpful advice for you, but it is easier than you think to come to terms with being a member of the last comfortable generation to live on Earth in the next few centuries.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Huzanko posted:

If it's not hopeless, that's great, but if we have 10 years to do anything about this, it is very much hopeless. I don't know enough about the situation to know what's true and what's hyperbole.

I mean, I guess you have to define what you consider "hopeless" to mean. Civilization isn't going to collapse and (assuming you live in the US or another first world country) we're not going to be living in some kind of unrecognizable hellscape in thirty years. The people who suggest that we're going to be living in a Mad Max future are just looking for an excuse to pretend that nothing they do matters. I post this a whole lot, but for first worlders this is almost wholly an economic and political problem. Putting aside action to mitigate climate change itself, how bad it gets is going to depend a lot on how well our political structures and safety nets hold up.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Huzanko posted:

newsflash bud. but there's millions of people living today in fury road squalor conditions right now! And it's been like that for a very long time. And it has nothing to do with climate change. I'm sure it sucks thinking about a future that involves a lot less comfort for yourself, but maybe do those people that never experienced a single moment of luxury a favor and quit being such a loving sad sack and go do something.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Minge Binge posted:

newsflash bud. but there's millions of people living today in fury road squalor conditions right now! And it's been like that for a very long time. And it has nothing to do with climate change. I'm sure it sucks thinking about a future that involves a lot less comfort for yourself, but maybe do those people that never experienced a single moment of luxury a favor and quit being such a loving sad sack and go do something.

I don't think you understand what I've been saying but are instead more interested in shaming someone into doing "something" in order to alleviate your own anxiety.

I've said several times that I am not arguing against "doing something" and, for all you know, I may already be "doing something."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a known limiter. It's also why people are working to boost the efficiency of ultra-light-weight printable solar cells. They were test-driving 3D-printed panels last year as a method to electrify rural India, and you can apparently make extremely low-efficiency solar cells with fullerene, polymer, and an inkjet printer.

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, I guess you have to define what you consider "hopeless" to mean. Civilization isn't going to collapse and (assuming you live in the US or another first world country) we're not going to be living in some kind of unrecognizable hellscape in thirty years. The people who suggest that we're going to be living in a Mad Max future are just looking for an excuse to pretend that nothing they do matters.

Exactly. There are too many collapseniks in the discussion right now who are either using this as their depression Viagra or who are looking forward to a theoretical end of civilization. It's not going to be as straightforward as that.

I've given up on predicting anything anymore, since the last six months or so have been beyond anything I could've guessed.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
All the optimists in this thread: https://youtu.be/x9RyElHA_p4