Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Snak posted:

I mean, he's in The Mummy, which seems to take place in Egypt and London, so I think he's at the British Museum.

edit: Like, he's the dude in the trailer explaining what mummies are to Tom Cruise.

You should have taken that bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I mean, he's in The Mummy, which seems to take place in Egypt and London, so I think he's at the British Museum.

edit: Like, he's the dude in the trailer explaining what mummies are to Tom Cruise.

Ah, drat. I didn't know. I haven't been following it, and last time I saw the trailer, all I did was count explosions (a dozen).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snak posted:

edit: I also look forward to a joke about how Jekyll voted for Hillary, but Hyde voted for Trump.

The joke will be that Hyde voted for Hilary.

You know how in Oblivion the twist was that the world was destroyed by aliens who made an army of Tom Cruises? They should do that for the team-up. Have The Mummy, Hyde, Invisible Man, Wolfman, Dr. Frankenstein and Dracula fend off the Apocruislypse.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Dr. Jekyll is the Nick Fury of the universe, he runs a monster-researching facility in the Museum of Natural History.

And yeah, Tom Cruise is 100% going to be The Mummy by the end of the movie and they're going to get rid of her, I don't know why that's in question.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're a Mummy couple?

A Mummy marriage? A murder or mummies? A matrimony of mummies?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe they're a Mummy couple?

A Mummy marriage? A murder or mummies? A matrimony of mummies?

A wrap of mummies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

And yeah, Tom Cruise is 100% going to be The Mummy by the end of the movie and they're going to get rid of her, I don't know why that's in question.

Is people taking on the mantle of The Mummy a thing, or are we just assuming that they're not building a franchise around Sofia Boutella?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Franchescanado posted:

Well, the problem is there's so many great mummy movies, but they specifically chose to remake Brendan Fraser Mummy, even though it's one of the worst ones (comparatively, it's still fun in it's own right).

I'd love to hear your list, because I can count the number of good mummy films I've seen on one hand.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'd love to hear your list, because I can count the number of good mummy films I've seen on one hand.

yeah I've basically got the Universal Mummy, the first Hammer Mummy, the Brendan Fraser Mummy, and the first segment of Tales From the Darkside where Steve Buscemi and Christian Slater conjure a Mummy.

I do like saying Mummy. I think I've heard the fourth Hammer Mummy movie, Blood From the Mummy's Tomb, is supposed to be good. The similarly titled second one, Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, is awful.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I ordered an out of print Godzilla DVD from some company based in Arlington Heights, IL. I paid $30 +shipping for it, but it goes for well over $150 on ebay. I purchased it somewhat impulsively upon seeing the price and then began to worry about the authenticity of it. So I messaged the company. Here's my message and the subsequent conversation verbatim:

Me:
I'm very concerned that the Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla DVD (item #267_9) I ordered on May 15 is a bootleg. If you can guarantee me positively 100% that it's an official release then lets continue with the order. Otherwise, please cancel the order. The PayPal transaction id is ___. My PayPal email address is ___, and I paid on May 15 at 10:40am CDT.

Them:
There are no order cancel with this company, customers play games with us all the time. If order has been shipped we can not cancel. If it hasnt been shipped we will refund you as an exception or return item unopened for refund.

Me:
I'm not playing a game, I just don't want a bootlegged DVD. Can you verify whether Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla is a bootleg? Like I said, if it's not then I still want it.

Them:
I am not playing a game! is your statement How the heck am I suppose to believe you really so many people play this scam with me all the time I am sick of it no matter what you will say it is a bootleg! No matter what go pay $100 for an guaranteed dvd okay dont buy from me Im sick of this bs, cause I give a great price with no complaints you order from me! when ever someone questions if its a bootleg they aways say its a bootleg like there experts , leave me alone Im sick high blood pressure please stop return dvd you will get refund okay dont open it and copy it like everyone else does.

Me:
Dude, calm down. I'm just asking you a simple question about your product. I'm not scamming you. I really really want it to NOT be a bootleg because it's the only Godzilla film I'm missing from my collection. So can you please just answer my simple question: is it a bootleg?

Anxious to see how this insane person replies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No one is more outraged at being called a scammer than a scammer.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Arlington Heights is not somewhere that I'd expect DVD bootleggers.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lurdiak posted:

No one is more outraged at being called a scammer than a scammer.

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards. I'm expecting him to cancel my order in an indignant outrage, which will confirm to me that it's in fact a bootleg.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's a bootleg

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
But you shouldn't care. Who cares.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

At my very first job, I was a cashier for a very rundown rinky-dink gas station that's part of a large chain of gas stations. Our boss would constantly ream us out and threaten us because the numbers didn't add up and clearly someone was stealing. Just 15 minute long screaming lectures.

I was not particularly surprised when she was fired and jailed for being the one who was taking money out of the safe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Projection is a powerful thing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FishBulb posted:

But you shouldn't care. Who cares.

Mostly due to the price. The total was about $38 after shipping, which is way too high for a DVD-R with a inkjet printed cover. I'd feel okay with that if it was, I dunno, $10.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Most people are insane.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Spatulater bro! posted:

Mostly due to the price. The total was about $38 after shipping, which is way too high for a DVD-R with a inkjet printed cover. I'd feel okay with that if it was, I dunno, $10.

Oh yeah. That's a lot to pay for a bootleg. Don't pay that much for a bootleg.

But like, there are two basic rules you violated. You tried to get a deal that was too good to be true, and you bought something for its value/authenticity without being 100% sure of what you were getting.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FishBulb posted:

Oh yeah. That's a lot to pay for a bootleg. Don't pay that much for a bootleg.

But like, there are two basic rules you violated. You tried to get a deal that was too good to be true, and you bought something for its value/authenticity without being 100% sure of what you were getting.

Yeah, it was odd that I ordered it because I'm usually smarter than that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Missy Elliot is seriously good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went to the county fair in Tucson last month and was surprised to find a booth selling mostly classic and cult films. They had a ton, but I could definitely tell a good chunk were gonna be bootlegs. My girlfriend bought this version of Peter Pan from the 60s for $20, and sure enough it was a bootleg.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sir Kodiak posted:

Is people taking on the mantle of The Mummy a thing, or are we just assuming that they're not building a franchise around Sofia Boutella?

She's credited as Mummy #1

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
smh ppl in this thread dissing ppl that eat wraps when thats what im making for lunch all week *violently cries a single tear*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

smh ppl in this thread dissing ppl that eat wraps when thats what im making for lunch all week *violently cries a single tear*

Wraps are bomb rear end. Just...like make it a chimichanga. Or a Gyro. Or something, you know, more hardcore.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I made garlic bread grilled cheese sliders for lunch and they were the bomb dot com.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
All those white people foods own, all people's foods own. Even British food.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everyone knows the only real White People are the English and German's from Saxony. The rest of us are a bunch of darkies according to infallible Demi-God of Liberty Benjamin Franklin.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamn. :(

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

quote:

Superheroes have always been about doing the right thing in the hardest of circumstances. Now Zack Snyder, one of the biggest filmmakers in the genre and the director of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and the upcoming Justice League, finds himself in just such a situation.

Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter he is stepping away from Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star DC Comics superhero mega-movie that is in post-production, in order to deal with the sudden death of his daughter. Snyder's wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on Justice League, also is taking a break to focus on the healing of their family.

Stepping in to shepherd the movie through post and the shooting of some additional scenes will be Joss Whedon, the Avengers filmmaker and creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With Whedon's help, the movie is still on track for its Nov. 17 release date.

Snyder’s daughter, Autumn Snyder, died by suicide in March at age 20. Her death has been kept private, with only a small inner circle aware of what happened, even as the movie was put on a two-week break for the Snyders to deal with the immediate effects of the tragedy. Zack Snyder says he initially was eager to return to the film, which stars Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller.

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was way through it,” says an emotional Snyder in an interview Monday in his office on the Warner Bros. lot with Deborah sitting by his side. “The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all consuming. And in the last two months I’ve come to the realization …I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”

The studio is fully behind the move. “What they are going through is unimaginable, and my heart — our hearts — go out to them, says Warner Bros. Pictures president Toby Emmerich.

One of the first things the studio floated was the possibility of pushing back the release date of the movie, but the Snyders decided against that suggestion. Warners also extended Snyder's first-look deal to give him time to work on other planned projects when he returns to work.

Snyder, after screening a rough cut of Justice League for fellow filmmakers and friends, wanted to add additional scenes, so he brought Whedon on board to write them. But as he prepared to shoot the scenes in England, Snyder realized it was not the time to leave home. “The directing is minimal and it has to adhere to the style and tone and the template that Zack set,” says Emmerich. “We’re not introducing any new characters. It’s the same characters in some new scenes. He’s handing a baton to Joss but the course has really been set by Zack. I still believe that despite this tragedy, we’ll still end up with a great movie.”

This isn’t the first time that Warners has had to deal with the unthinkable affecting a high-profile DC movie. In 2008, Heath Ledger passed away after shooting had wrapped for The Dark Knight but prior to the movie being finished and released. The tragedy put the studio and filmmaker Christopher Nolan in a very delicate position of balancing mourning with the demands of releasing a tentpole.

The Internet and comic book movie fans being what they are, Snyder already is anticipating what what some DC loyalists may think.

“Here’s the thing, I never planned to make this public,” he says. “I thought it would just be in the family, a private matter, our private sorrow that we would deal with. When it became obvious that I need to take break, I knew there would be narratives created on the internet. They’ll do what they do. The truth it…I’m past caring about that kind of thing now.”

The death of Autumn, Zack's daughter from his first marriage (in addition to Autumn, he and Deborah have been raising seven kids and step-kids) has brought a new perspective and a new focus for him. “I want the movie to be amazing and I’m a fan, but that all pales pretty quickly in comparison," he says. “I know the fans are going to be worried about the movie but there are seven other kids that need me,” he says. “ In the end, it’s just a movie. It’s a great movie. But it’s just a movie.

Autumn, who was attending Sarah Lawrence College, loved “to write, to write, to write,” says Deborah. Their daughter had written a sci-fi fantasy novel in the first person. It featured a character who was an outsider and who had trouble fitting in.

Deborah is holding on to the thought that she was the first person her daughter gave the book to read, even now as the story takes on a new meaning under the circumstances. “You’re heading her voice,” Deborah says, fighting back tears.

The Snyders would like to someday see that manuscript published, with the proceeds going to a charity. “In the end, she didn’t make it, but her character does and I think there would be something cathartic for people,” says Zack.

The thought of his daughter’s writing prompts Zack to recall another memory. Autumn had a quote that she included in everything she wrote. (“Every. Single. Thing,” chuckles Zack). It’s from author Chris Palahniuk: “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”

“Maybe this helps,” Zack says.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:cry:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snyder has EIGHT kids? Jesus man, that thing's not a literal muscle that needs to be exercised daily!

Still, what a horrible, horrible tragedy.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
gently caress that is sad.

Can't believe he had a daughter who was 20. He must have had children at a young age.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He's 51

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Your right thought he was younger.

But yea thats awful. Can't imagine how he would go back to work after that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

mmm dry chicken and ranch dressing in an unheated "brown" tortilla yum

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Death By The Blues posted:

Your right thought he was younger.

But yea thats awful. Can't imagine how he would go back to work after that.

I mean, everyone in Kelsey's Grammar's life was murdered in separate incidents and he still works. I guess he's insane and alcoholic though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In totally awesome movie news
Rihanna and Lupita Nyong'o will costar in a buddy movie directed by Ava DuVernay for Netflix

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

mmm dry chicken and ranch dressing in an unheated "brown" tortilla yum

ha actually its just a deli ham and cheese with veggies but u feel pretty fuckin dumb now

(its the easiest way for me to eat a "sandwich" at work without needing to touch the food, since i work outside and my hands get filthy and im usually miles away from civilization)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Sucker for a good deli meat sandwichhhhhhhhhh.

Vegetables, bread, cheese, what's not to like.

• Locked thread