Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Fast Luck posted:

Why was Laurie suicidal though...

Suicidal thoughts and urges are a lot more complicated than that and even though you could point to a number of things as possible reasons I appreciate the show letting it be vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
The director of next weeks episode also directed "International Assassin". Oh man....

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HanabaL03 posted:

The director of next weeks episode also directed "International Assassin". Oh man....

:woop:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

it's been seven years and Laurie seemed to have gotten her life back together better than most. She has a relationship with her daughter, she has a new husband, she had a purpose (helping people), and so on. When the most with it person in the cast is killing herself it doesn't bode well for all these other goofballs. Kevin Sr. still thinks he needs to perform an indigenous rain song to save the world from flooding because a chicken pecked a tape and he's gonna ask his own son to die to help see it happen. There's that Abraham Isaac thing for ya

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

HanabaL03 posted:

Is the next episode actually next week or are they taking it off for Memorial Day?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's airing. HBO doesn't seem to take holiday weekends off anymore - with streaming and on demand options, people who want to see a show are still going to see it.

(I'd say it's because Leftovers is among their lowest-rated shows, but Silicon Valley and Veep are also running next week.)

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I kinda wish that this last episode was the finale.

It would've been Iris DeMent as hell.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
my bf thinks leftovers is too creepy so he doesn't watch it. which made it pretty awkward for her to walk into the room last night while kevin was talking with laurie on the steps and seeing me with tears streaming down to my shirt.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Laurie was one of the biggest manipulative assholes on the show. Only Meg was worse. Good character.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

screech on the beach posted:

Her life was all about helping people and the people she cares most about have all gone full crazy and she will never be able to help them.

What about Jill and Tommy? It's not believable that she would kill herself after that call...

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

"In an episode that opened w 1800-SUICIDE, showed Laurie trying to kill herself, had Nora describe exactly how you kill yourself while scuba diving, and closed w Laurie going diving...maybe she's still alive" - a poster in this thread

It's not off the table specifically because this show has a certain game plan it has employed in past seasons. Let things get worse and worse (beat you to an emotional pulp) and then end on a happy note where people show up together again.

Also, back to why she might kill herself: in Off Ramp she in all likelihood is a mass murderer who killed people with her car in a failed attempt to prove to them that they really wanted to live (when they proved to her back that they didn't). To the extent that Laurie is a normal person, that should generate a lot of guilt.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Also very few people that kill themselves actually have nothing to live for. To the contrary they always have lots to live for. Which is what made the scene and phone call so realistic, heartbreaking, and moving.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

What about Jill and Tommy? It's not believable that she would kill herself after that call...

I think it's more believable. Her kids don't need her anymore. They are doing just fine.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Speaking from experiences that's not true at all. Absolutely heartbreaking scene.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The tension of the scene is about whether the phone call is going to be a reason for Laurie to reconsider, or a final sweet note for her to end it all on. Then she chooses, and I don't think her choice is ambiguous.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wonder if Kevin will see her in The Other Place and be like "wtf??" but it will be too late for her because she already drank the water.. in the ocean..

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

screech on the beach posted:

Her life was all about helping people and the people she cares most about have all gone full crazy and she will never be able to help them.

Laurie was all about herself. All of her arcs are about her hurting others to make herself feel better.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Boywhiz88 posted:

"In an episode that opened w 1800-SUICIDE, showed Laurie trying to kill herself, had Nora describe exactly how you kill yourself while scuba diving, and closed w Laurie going diving...maybe she's still alive" - a poster in this thread

SHANNON WAS STABBED!

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Why was Kevin Sr. carrying a bag of shoes when Laurie shows up in the VW Wagon?

I'm rewatching the episode and it seems weird that Grace mentioned at the end of the episode that they never found her kids shoes.

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 23, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

HanabaL03 posted:

Why was Kevin Sr. carrying a bag of shoes when Laurie shows up in the VW Wagon?

I'm rewatching the episode and it seems weird that Grace mentioned at the end of the episode that they never found her kids shoes.

She said she searched everywhere (used stores, clothing donation bins, etc.) for her kids' shoes and never found them, so maybe those were some that she was looking through.

UmOk posted:

Laurie was all about herself. All of her arcs are about her hurting others to make herself feel better.

More like manipulating others into what she saw as the truth, even if she had to lie to get them there.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 23, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Onomarchus posted:

It's not off the table specifically because this show has a certain game plan it has employed in past seasons. Let things get worse and worse (beat you to an emotional pulp) and then end on a happy note where people show up together again.

Exactly. The show's propensity for going all in on despair but finishing the season with a modicum of hope is what makes me want to believe that this was a fakeout (Also, when a show leans THAT HARD into a premise, with musical cues and explicit discussions and and and, I've come to expect a swerve at the end with a "clever" about-face.)

But no, Kevin's going to go under and find Laurie in the Hotel (or wherever he wakes up this time) for a big, dramatic "Despite being deemed a Messiah, Kevin realizes he can't save everyone" epiphany.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
This show sure does make me a weepy mess a lot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thom and the Heads posted:

You know, I never got this. Not to say I don't understand people crying during shows, particularly this one, but it never affected me.

That is, until Kevin Sr's episode, where his tape was ruined. I have an almost 3 year old son and you'd best believe that if I had a 30+ year old recording of him talking as a keepsake, during what can only be described as a mass-scale nightmare, reminding me of the good times, I'd be devastated if it was gone forever.

That got me :smith:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

It does a good job hitting in the feels.

It is a drat shame, Laurie basically rebuilt her whole life and was even helping others with stealth counseling, for it to end like this. I guess the space for rational people in the leftovers is rapidly collapsing. It was really clear from the scuba chat that something was up, but I didn't think it would go that far so quickly.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like Laurie was holding on for a long time, but now at this point in her life she's gradually come to realize this world doesn't want rational people anymore. The world's gone crazy and that's the new norm, so no matter how much time and effort she puts into saving people, she's irrelevant and dismissed. Her telling Nora that people don't want closure was more about Laurie than families of the departed. Everyone in her life is fine on their own or supports some crazy apocalypse theory, and if the world is really ending tomorrow she'd rather go out on her own terms. If it isn't, there will be something else, and then something else, and then something else, and if that's going to happen forever, nobody needs or wants the person who came out the other side of crazy and tells you it's all bullshit.

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
Thank loving God this show isn't released all at once or I'd probably go scuba diving too... Need the week to get my poo poo back together.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Plenty of documentaries have destroyed me but I can count on my fingers the times a scripted series has brought me to tears. As a person who's been battling depression for two decades, this episode loving ruined me. :smith:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Different stuff hits people in the feels in different ways. The well scene in International Assassin got me, the part with young Patty trying to talk Kevin into pushing her in.

Before that the last one was The Constant in :lost:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know, I never got this. Not to say I don't understand people crying during shows, particularly this one, but it never affected me.

That is, until Kevin Sr's episode, where his tape was ruined. I have an almost 3 year old son and you'd best believe that if I had a 30+ year old recording of him talking as a keepsake, during what can only be described as a mass-scale nightmare, reminding me of the good times, I'd be devastated if it was gone forever.

That got me :smith:

Welp, quoting myself to call myself a liar, because this episode got me too. Nevermind, I absolutely and totally get it. Not just with my previous example, but that scene at the beginning (I have a 2 year old son, and a 1.5 month old), and with Laurie's last conversations, with Kevin and Jill.

:smith:

Goddamn you, Lindelof. It's all so excellent and sad.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Microwave People set up shop here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.9686367,145.0100498,415m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Good (but pricey) fish and chips there, also an old monitor ship ship sunk as a breakwater... the HMAS Cerberus.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Last time Kevin died he had to sing Homeward Bound and think about Nora to get back. Is he gonna want to come back enough this time

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

Last time Kevin died he had to sing Homeward Bound and think about Nora to get back. Is he gonna want to come back enough this time

From the season trailer in the OP that I've watched 1000x now:

We see Kevin Sr. dunk Jr. into a normal bathtub "If I could do this instead of you, I would", but then it cuts to Kevin underwater with the seesaw from the pond behind him, so either he goes under twice, or something interrupts the first attempt.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Last Chance posted:

From the season trailer in the OP that I've watched 1000x now:

We see Kevin Sr. dunk Jr. into a normal bathtub "If I could do this instead of you, I would", but then it cuts to Kevin underwater with the seesaw from the pond behind him, so either he goes under twice, or something interrupts the first attempt.

I noticed this as well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My partner's reaction to the Pilot was "That was better than I thought it would be", which is a good sign, so I think that means I'll be watching the finale in about a month and a half!

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

It didn't hit me until this last week, but this show and Doctor Who have a certain something in common:

last weekend's Doctor Who also had a morbid obsession with suicide.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Onomarchus posted:

It didn't hit me until this last week, but this show and Doctor Who have a certain something in common:

last weekend's Doctor Who also had a morbid obsession with suicide.

Kevin is going to read The Veritas to everybody in the series finale.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think the other place(if it exists) is where bad folk go when they die. Who has Kevin met there? A murderer, a wife-beater, and a child molester. Be cool if Meg was there trolling the afterlife.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

UmOk posted:

I think the other place(if it exists) is where bad folk go when they die. Who has Kevin met there? A murderer, a wife-beater, and a child molester. Be cool if Meg was there trolling the afterlife.

Mary was there at the hotel. She wasn't evil.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HanabaL03 posted:

Mary was there at the hotel. She wasn't evil.

She pretended to be catatonic for years for attention.

But really we don't know too much about her. Maybe her being there with the molesters and murderers is saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I never got the vibe that Laurie was manipulative or anything, maybe just based on my own personal experiences from seeing therapists for so long, a lot of it seems like a long running dr/patient confidentiality thing with her, almost always to a fault.

That cold open was just... wow. Bringing back the 'Sam?' Woman from the pilot was stone cold. And Laurie understood; she could empathize, she had been through pretty much the exact same drat thing. But, at the same time, there's still that professional level of distance where a therapist (in most cases; it could vary on type, state, degree etc) will not bridge the gap to share such a thing.

It always felt to me like Laurie would start with good intentions but be her own stumbling point due to that sort of 'clinical' approach; after breaking from the GR in Season2; she wanted to get more out, but Tommy as a proxy was more of a cushion; she wanted to publish the book, but the edits made her too raw and she ended up starting an altercation.

I did like her and Nora and Matt this ep, aside from adults can't explain politely punch out over the lighter (unless that was symbolism for not ready to let go yet; but giving it to Kevin was).

Also liked Laurie talking Kevin down from his break of 'seeing Edie' very gently a few eps back, then showing up saying she was in this ep about the drowning/gospel deal this episode, then slowly revealing the 'Judas turn' just for a chance to check in with Kevin first.

It was all just kinda sad-pretty.

• Locked thread