Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Aliquid posted:

Still having trouble using my usb controller with more modern emulators. Any ideas?

Try loading a ROM, that gave me access to the controller options when I tried it just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

Yes, it's meant for use with very old hardware and weird older software.

Yeah but Windows 10 itself isn't designed for very old hardware at all, even slightly old hardware suffers really poorly from Microsoft assuming your machine is powerful, connected to the internet 24/7, and always on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

XYZ posted:

Try loading a ROM, that gave me access to the controller options when I tried it just now.

It worked! BizHawk was running games at 100% speed, but now that I've set the controller inputs and everything works, I can't get games to run at faster than 50% even with fiddling with frameskip, vsync and all the other options. wwhhhyyy

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Dr. Dos posted:

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/866285758428176385

This ad made me wonder if there's ever been a shmup that uses a trackball to maneuver.
Per the OP, Astro Warrior on Sega Master system is MUCH better with the Sports Pad trackball. poo poo that may even work well on Genesis shoot em ups that only need two buttons, i'll have to test.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but Windows 10 itself isn't designed for very old hardware at all, even slightly old hardware suffers really poorly from Microsoft assuming your machine is powerful, connected to the internet 24/7, and always on.

That's bullshit, it runs as fine as 7 ever did on my old ThinkPad from 2009. Windows 10 is officially supported as far back as the tail end of Pentium 4s as far as hardware goes, which would be slow but only because you're using nearly 15 year old hardware at that point, so it can't possibly be fast.

Windows 10 is specifically intended to run well on low end modern hardware like those $200 laptops or Windows tablets, which have about the overall processing power as a mid-range computer would have had 8 or so years back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

That's bullshit, it runs as fine as 7 ever did on my old ThinkPad from 2009. Windows 10 is officially supported as far back as the tail end of Pentium 4s as far as hardware goes, which would be slow but only because you're using nearly 15 year old hardware at that point, so it can't possibly be fast.

Windows 10 is specifically intended to run well on low end modern hardware like those $200 laptops or Windows tablets, which have about the overall processing power as a mid-range computer would have had 8 or so years back.

I have a gaming laptop that has windows 10 because it came with 8 and gently caress that, and I only use it once every couple months. Most of the time when I turn it on it completely locks up and is unresponsive for about 5 minutes, then performance is dogshit while it auto-downloads a ton of updates and then if you dare try to turn it off or restart it, it'll be stuck "updating windows" for over an hour.

I don't own my own laptop anymore. I have to wait for Microsoft's permission to use it.

Friend comes over: hey lets play some LAN games *laptop stuck updating for 2 hours* welp that was fun buddy, see you again next week. :(

I have fast internet too, and this is a pretty powerful gaming laptop. It has a slow platter drive though, and I don't use it very often. That shouldn't be that outrageous. But I gotta install windows 7 so I can manually choose when to update!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't own my own laptop anymore. I have to wait for Microsoft's permission to use it.

I have fast internet too, and this is a pretty powerful gaming laptop. It has a slow platter drive though, and I don't use it very often. That shouldn't be that outrageous. But I gotta install windows 7 so I can manually choose when to update!

Enjoy being part of a Russian botnet because you intentionally refuse to learn Win10's system update feature.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

I have a gaming laptop that has windows 10 because it came with 8 and gently caress that, and I only use it once every couple months. Most of the time when I turn it on it completely locks up and is unresponsive for about 5 minutes, then performance is dogshit while it auto-downloads a ton of updates and then if you dare try to turn it off or restart it, it'll be stuck "updating windows" for over an hour.

Sounds like you have a hosed up computer (possibly some sort of issue with the hard drive?). That doesn't really have anything to do with Windows 10. Maybe you shouldn't have bought a computer that you only use "once every couple months"???

It's the year 2017. You need to keep a computer up to date or malware will wreck your poo poo and then turn around to wreck other people's poo poo. If you just used your computer like normal, the updates would install themselves over time, but since you insist on waiting months between uses, it's gotta install then - you're not letting them install at other times.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 22, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

1. Your computer is partially really slow because of the platter drive. Upgrading to a ssd would give you a performance upgrade.

2. If you're only turning your laptop on every few months, you're going to be bombarded with updates. My windows 7 laptop had about 4 gb of updates since I didn't update it for 3 months.

3. I have a 10+ year old core 2 duo running windows 10 just fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ProjektorBoy posted:

Enjoy being part of a Russian botnet because you intentionally refuse to learn Win10's system update feature.

Or I could just install windows 7, avoid the internet, and play some LAN games for the few minutes the machine is on. (and then update it later on my own schedule, which is the point. You can go 4 hours of gaming when there's some poo poo that needs to get done and then update it later; it will not make that much of a difference)

fishmech posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have bought a computer that you only use "once every couple months"???

This is loving retarded. Or I could use Windows 7.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Retro Gaming Megathread: Living a Life of Obsolescence

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

1. Your computer is partially really slow because of the platter drive. Upgrading to a ssd would give you a performance upgrade.

Yeah dude, I know. I have 2 SSDs on my desktop. This is a loaner computer for when friends come over to play LAN games. No poo poo dude, but I don't want to spend the money and shouldn't have to JUST BECAUSE OF WINDOWS UPDATES. That's outrageous. SSDs are for making your OS or gaming faster, not because windows refuses to wait 10 minutes to download updates!

The laptop doesn't have 2 drive bays so I'd have to replace the platter. I willingly chose the platter so I'd have vastly more space than I was willing to spend to have a single SSD as the primary drive. I know what I'm doing.

Windows 10 shouldn't' require an SSD.

"Windows 10 runs great on old machines! Oh wait you have to have an SSD" lololol

If it supports platter drives then the OS needs to do a better job not locking up because it expects you to have one. Learn how to schedule and queue updates already!

mariooncrack posted:

2. If you're only turning your laptop on every few months, you're going to be bombarded with updates. My windows 7 laptop had about 4 gb of updates since I didn't update it for 3 months.

Right, and in Windows 7 I could play a game for an hour and THEN install those updates, while in Windows 10 it just doesn't let you do poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

Or I could just install windows 7, avoid the internet, and play some LAN games for the few minutes the machine is on. (and then update it later on my own schedule, which is the point. You can go 4 hours of gaming when there's some poo poo that needs to get done and then update it later; it will not make that much of a difference)

This is loving retarded. Or I could use Windows 7.

Windows 7 also needs to be updated monthly though. :psyduck:

You'd have exactly the same "problem" with your stupid plan to barely use your laptop and then be upset that it's time to update everytime you use it.

People like you are why that WanaCry ransomware got all over the place a few weeks ago despite its method of spreading being patched out 2 months prior - idiots simply refuse to install updates and get wrecked by it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

Windows 7 also needs to be updated monthly though. :psyduck:

You'd have exactly the same "problem" with your stupid plan to barely use your laptop and then be upset that it's time to update everytime you use it.

No, because Windows 7 respects the user's wishes. On win 7 I can say "not right now" and then after I finish gaming with my friend, I can say "okay install updates now" and let it finish its business.

fishmech posted:

People like you are why that WanaCry ransomware got all over the place a few weeks ago despite its method of spreading being patched out 2 months prior - idiots simply refuse to install updates and get wrecked by it.

Jesus loving christ, what on earth is wrong with you? gently caress you.

You're not loving listening to me. I'm not somebody who runs a computer and never updates it. gently caress you're an obtuse rear end in a top hat fishmech.

I can't believe I'm getting this poo poo in the retro games thread of all places. This isn't YOSPOS.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Been gone for about 1700 posts, ha. Well, since a lot of people here have CRTs and may be looking for something so they can put a console on top, I used this stand to put a blu ray player on top of my 27" Trinitron when I want to watch movies in that room (background noise when I work and whatnot). It works well, it has different height leg extensions. I was able to just use the biggest extension and the foot piece on the back two legs, and just put some double sided tape on the CRT itself under the feet so they don't slide back (just stuck the tape to the crt and didn't take off the film on top so the legs just rest against it). It isn't perfectly level, but enough for the discs to read correctly and not scrape to hell.

So I would recommend it for anyone looking for more room around their CRT for a game console and whatnot, because if you are like me, then your TV stand is full as it is with older consoles.

Ignore the poor cable management under the desk, it has been low on the priority list since we moved a couple months ago.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 22, 2017

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Right, and in Windows 7 I could play a game for an hour and THEN install those updates, while in Windows 10 it just doesn't let you do poo poo.

You can totally delay this. It's a setting. I have mine set to 4am so I don't have to care.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

calm the gently caress down, jesus christ

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shlomo Palestein posted:

You can totally delay this. It's a setting. I have mine set to 4am so I don't have to care.

Do you have premium? In windows 10 home it regularly ignores your wishes and does whatever the hell it wants.

And in windows 10 home lots of stuff like Windows Telemetry spying on you simply cannot be turned off. I'm not paying $200 to upgrade to premium so yeah, back to windows 7 with my laptop.

My desktop that I use daily is more or less fine on 10, although I still wish I had more control over when it did some things. I can hear all my drives start running at full blast whenever Windows Telemetry starts up and I have to kill it manually in the task manager. I'm thinking about writing a script to just auto-kill it every minute if its running :haw:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I remember when I was pissed off at Windows 10 auto updating, but the crockery I had to do to get it to let me choose exactly how to update was a bigger pain in the rear end then just letting it do it's thing.

It did get pretty antsy about a recent big update and pulled a big dumb popup in the middle of playing a game but for most updating it just waits until I restart or shutdown and I'd never notice if it didn't take just slightly longer to load up on occasion.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Speaking of Windows, I got a call today from someone with a heavy accent in a very loud environment saying they are from Microsoft (from a Florida phone #) and were calling about my Windows computer. I asked which one, they said just repeated windows computer. I said I used a Mac, and they were repeated the were calling about my Windows computer. I asked what it was about, they said they have received error codes that my computer is infected. I asked which computer, they said Windows 7. I told them I only have Windows 10 computers, they asked "You don't have Windows 7 computer?", I said no. They started to say another sentence and just hung up on me.

Not fooling me scammers. So that has been one benefit of Windows 10 over Windows 7 for me, haha.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I use Windows 7 and don't auto update. The only thing that doesn't work is HOTS because it has some weird poo poo going on with the NVidia driver that causes it to force crash. Run a script blocker and enjoy not having malware on your computer.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have premium? In windows 10 home it regularly ignores your wishes and does whatever the hell it wants.

And in windows 10 home lots of stuff like Windows Telemetry spying on you simply cannot be turned off. I'm not paying $200 to upgrade to premium so yeah, back to windows 7 with my laptop.

My desktop that I use daily is more or less fine on 10, although I still wish I had more control over when it did some things. I can hear all my drives start running at full blast whenever Windows Telemetry starts up and I have to kill it manually in the task manager. I'm thinking about writing a script to just auto-kill it every minute if its running :haw:

Looks like Pro is where it showed up, but a quick google search had this, assuming the laptop is not hard-wired (which it may well be, and i know this isn't exactly a fix so much as a workaround):

"Another option is to use the 'Metered connection' feature. Turning this on fools Windows 10 into thinking you’re on a non-broadband connection (i.e. accessing the internet via a tethered mobile) and delays downloading and installing updates. To turn this on, click Start, and type 'Change Wi-Fi settings'. Hit enter. Click 'Advanced options' and toggle 'Metered connection' to on. This only works if you’re on a wireless network. If you have an Ethernet connection, the option isn’t available."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

No, because Windows 7 respects the user's wishes. On win 7 I can say "not right now" and then after I finish gaming with my friend, I can say "okay install updates now" and let it finish its business.

Jesus loving christ, what on earth is wrong with you? gently caress you.

Windows 10 also respects the user's wishes. But since refusing to update is manifestly bad for everyone, people like you who refuse to let the computer update normally are forced to update when it gets a chance. Because the wish to put off updates eternally is bad.

Lol dude, the only person with something wrong is you: the guy who is mad that he has to update his computer. It is literally 100% true that WannaCry spread because of computers that were sitting around with updates missing that had been out for 2 months. People like you who constantly put off updates when given the chance is precisely why updates are required now.

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't believe I'm getting this poo poo in the retro games thread of all places.

Because you came in here and told us "hey everyone I'm too stupid to understand how to use a computer".

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shlomo Palestein posted:

"Another option is to use the 'Metered connection' feature. Turning this on fools Windows 10 into thinking you’re on a non-broadband connection (i.e. accessing the internet via a tethered mobile) and delays downloading and installing updates. To turn this on, click Start, and type 'Change Wi-Fi settings'. Hit enter. Click 'Advanced options' and toggle 'Metered connection' to on. This only works if you’re on a wireless network. If you have an Ethernet connection, the option isn’t available."

Actually you can set Ethernet as metered now - but actual security and not-crash-every-five-minutes updates will still come down the pipe even if it's a 4G modem inside the computer or something. So that won't really help.

Also that telemetry stuff got backported to 7/8.1 unless you janitor the poo poo out of your Windows Update lists. Actually I kind of want to see Zaphod42 try to backpedal to Windows 7 on that loaner, just so he can experience the shattering of his XP-level nostalgic delusion when he finds out what a pain trying to Windows 7 in 2017 actually is.

In practice? It's a computer being kept around to be used like three times a year by Zaphod42's friend the dumbass who doesn't want to buy a computer for LAN parties 'forgot' to bring their computer to play Internet games in the same room, and Zaphod42 wouldn't update Windows 7 anyway because:
- there are actual major corporations that don't even update their central standard Windows 7 images more often than yearly (see what just happened to Windows 7 computers a bunch last week) and they're getting paid for it, so what are your chances;
- how much do you really want to janitor your computer after having guests over;
- will you really remember to the next day; and
- this is a discussion that is somehow still happening.

Let the loaner go and cut the dumbass off.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 22, 2017

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

:yikes:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fishmech posted:

Because you came in here and told us "hey everyone I'm too stupid to understand how to use a computer".

There are those who consider Windows 10 to be "literally worse than Hitler."

I am not one of them.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
fishmech is right about running updates.

Zaphod42 is right about this not being the place for Windows chat.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
if you really absolutely at all possible costs don't want win10 to bother you to update you can just go into services and disable windows update and then turn it back on whenever you want to. the ultimate "not now"

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Dr. Dos posted:

This ad made me wonder if there's ever been a shmup that uses a trackball to maneuver.

There's the aforementioned Centi/Milli-pedes, but nothing else to my knowledge. At least not retro. One exception is the X68000 port of Kyukyoku Tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g7j0iv2QYg
(KT demo at 21:00)

These days there are some indie/mobile titles that use mouse/touchscreen to move your character. I think one of Cave's mobile games does this, maybe the mmo? I think mouse control is definitely cool and should be more of a thing.

Aliquid posted:

It worked! BizHawk was running games at 100% speed, but now that I've set the controller inputs and everything works, I can't get games to run at faster than 50% even with fiddling with frameskip, vsync and all the other options. wwhhhyyy

You might have something running in the background eating up your CPU cycles. Check your task manager. Also check your power options and make sure you're not in a balanced or power-saving profile that caps your CPU speed/state (use "high performance" for emulation).

Zaphod42 posted:

You can turn all that stuff off in the Privacy settings. And if you're really paranoid, disable a related service and edit a registry value. I had already done the former and just did the latter, it wasn't hard at all.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
So uh, better inflammatory topic, is anyone still in the amiibo game? I swung by a Gamestop after work today and noticed most of them are on clearance now, especially the Animal Crossing ones, they're down to $3.97. Still bought Commando: Steel Disaster on DS instead; better use of my money I felt. Great run and gun though it's mildly annoying to only be able to shoot in four directions. Just as hard as Metal Slug for sure though.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

xamphear posted:

fishmech is right about running updates.

Zaphod42 is right about this not being the place for Windows chat.

what, is it interrupting people asking us where to get a CRT / what scaler or everdrive to buy? :sax:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

what a pain trying to Windows 7 in 2017 actually is.

My gaming laptop from 2011 is still on Win7. I updated to 10, found there was an unfixed super annoying issue with the sound drivers that caused sound to cease working entirely (and was unfixable because of how 10 handled the drivers), and just went back to 7. Granted, I keep it up to date, but using it isn't the horrifying experience you indicate. It works just as fine as 10 does everywhere else in my house/at work.

EDIT: Sorry xamphear and everyone else, you're right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turbinosamente posted:

So uh, better inflammatory topic, is anyone still in the amiibo game? I swung by a Gamestop after work today and noticed most of them are on clearance now, especially the Animal Crossing ones, they're down to $3.97. Still bought Commando: Steel Disaster on DS instead; better use of my money I felt. Great run and gun though it's mildly annoying to only be able to shoot in four directions. Just as hard as Metal Slug for sure though.

Honestly if there's a bunch of cheap Amiibos available, it wouldn't hurt to buy them up for later resale. People are going to need them for certain games in the future and Nintendo is weird and doesn't seem interested in continuing to make many of the old ones.

Of course, that might all collapse when someone figures out a good way to make an "Amiibo emulator" device that can properly imitate all the different RFID things in each Amiibo, to use with old Wii Us and stuff...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Looks like Pro is where it showed up, but a quick google search had this, assuming the laptop is not hard-wired (which it may well be, and i know this isn't exactly a fix so much as a workaround):

I'll try that :)

dont be mean to me posted:

Let the loaner go and cut the dumbass off.

Lol

"stop playing games with your friends so you can be more perfect like us, the goons of the internet"

Nah I'm good. And I do update the machine when I have time, its just sometimes you want to play the game for 1 hour and update AFTER.

Also I never even wanted windows 10 on this laptop to begin with, but it installed ITSELF one day while I was out at lunch, even though I told it I wanted to opt-out, even though I had critical software that required windows 8 at the time :downs:

absolutely anything posted:

if you really absolutely at all possible costs don't want win10 to bother you to update you can just go into services and disable windows update and then turn it back on whenever you want to. the ultimate "not now"

This only works in professional, not home. Home just flat out doesn't let you do it. The only thing you can do is uninstall windows update service itself by changing registry values. Windows support themselves told me this.

And if delaying updates makes people in this thread go mental, you better believe that disabling windows update completely would make everybody explode.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 22, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I just get Zelda Amiibo's as cheap $12 statuettes. You can see the bottom of the acrylic shelves I keep Amiibo's on in the picture higher up this page I showed on the stand I got for my CRT to put dvd player/consoles on top.

In other news: So I got an action replay disc and gamecube memory card adapter for SD cards. Does anyone have a good link in how to get the better GB Player front end working? Anything else worthwhile using on that setup?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

fishmech posted:

Of course, that might all collapse when someone figures out a good way to make an "Amiibo emulator" device that can properly imitate all the different RFID things in each Amiibo, to use with old Wii Us and stuff...

This already exists, Gamestop sells them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

Honestly if there's a bunch of cheap Amiibos available, it wouldn't hurt to buy them up for later resale. People are going to need them for certain games in the future and Nintendo is weird and doesn't seem interested in continuing to make many of the old ones.

Android phones can do it

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

FireMrshlBill posted:

I just get Zelda Amiibo's as cheap $12 statuettes. You can see the bottom of the acrylic shelves I keep Amiibo's on in the picture higher up this page I showed on the stand I got for my CRT to put dvd player/consoles on top.

In other news: So I got an action replay disc and gamecube memory card adapter for SD cards. Does anyone have a good link in how to get the better GB Player front end working? Anything else worthwhile using on that setup?

This is why I brought it up, in case anyone is looking for a cheap Nintendo statue. That's all mine have ever been to me.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Zaphod42 posted:

This only works in professional, not home. Home just flat out doesn't let you do it. The only thing you can do is uninstall windows update service itself by changing registry values. Windows support themselves told me this.

it works in home, source: me. i did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

This is why I brought it up, in case anyone is looking for a cheap Nintendo statue. That's all mine have ever been to me.

Yep, they are pretty decent if you look at it that way instead of chasing down "dlc". Especially when compared to what people pay on other shelf candy (like Play Action statues and whatnot). Though I may use mine in BOTW, almost maxed out all my armor sets (just need more cores for ancient armor and two more Lynel guts or Barbarian armor) and close to doing all side quests before fighting Ganon. Maybe I will scan them in to get Epona and whatnot. But people get too pissed at them being required for DLC type extras or go too crazy trying to hunt them down and drop $$$ instead of waiting for a second run of them to come out in 3-4 months.

• Locked thread