Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Crabtree posted:

Is there any hope for a World of Darkness type world - does not specifically need to be that but similar - for a kind of survival horror like game? I'm so sick of zombies at this point that I don't even want them gone, I want them to be the joke mob enemy that is barely worth killing for fun. Like so weak that "you'd have to put your hand in their mouth and force its jaws up and down for them to actually bite you" kind of worthless canon fodder. But there exists a multitude of abominations, familiar and undiscovered like vampires and the like, that you need to study, plan and prepare for as they're all out on the hunt tonight.

I know that Bloodborne is probably the most recommended game in the history of this forum, but that sounds a lot like Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I played D2 start to finish, and I still have no loving clue what the hell was going on in that game aside from shooting rear end in a top hat plant hentai monsters.
The ending boss was one of the weirdest things ever possibly.
I want a horror game where you play as a giant spider, that would be pretty cool.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Gann Jerrod posted:

I know that Bloodborne is probably the most recommended game in the history of this forum, but that sounds a lot like Bloodborne.

I guess its the closet I'll get, but I kind of want something where you wouldn't feel as empowered like you can get in a souls game. Something where you have to be careful with your supplies because monsters are different and you need to be absolutely sure what you're going to do is going to work or you could easily get hosed because you might not actually have much in the case of weapons. Anything from putting up what little rune or mystical knowledge you can gather into wards to hide out some place for a night/secure a passage or attempt to kill the creature near you for any kind of ingredients or possibly something to increase your abilities. Sort of like a witcher game where you aren't a monster hunting mutant right off the bat but maybe can work yourself up to becoming something dangerous enough to survive in the wilderness of madness and the few potential cities or towns you can come across.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thank you, this should be great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sounds like what a game based on Supernaturals early seasons would be like. Roll up to a place where weird shits happening then do some research, talk to some people, hustle pool so you can afford to buy supplies then go fight baddies.

Just keep the unhealthy family relationships and awful angel/demon stuff out of it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And the fandom. :eng99:

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

I remember thinking D looked amazing when it came out. Now look at it. You're memory can have a habit of prettying old things up. I'm trying to think of another game that was a lot like D that freaked me out when I was young. All I can remember is something about a mansion and butterflies. There was a part where you're going down a hallway and if you turn around a living statue grabs you. And I recall falling into a pit full of symbols. It wasn't all horror but it was creepy.

Edit Oh found it. It was Mansion of Hidden Souls. It's even uglier than D.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 23, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm watching the LP and I just got to the part in D where it's revealed that you have the blood of Dracula in you.

:laffo:

What the fuuuuuck. So far the game is slow and goofy, does the poo poo hit the fan later on or is that reserved for D2?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If I remember right, D1 gets plenty bizarre all on its own.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm watching the LP and I just got to the part in D where it's revealed that you have the blood of Dracula in you.

:laffo:

What the fuuuuuck. So far the game is slow and goofy, does the poo poo hit the fan later on or is that reserved for D2?

it definitely doesn't kick off till D2

I will also warn you that a lot, a lot, a looooot of D2 is characters having long rambling stream of consciousness monologues that have nothing to do with anything

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

She just shot her mud-man father and that's the end of the game, I feel bad for anyone that bought this game for full retail at the time of release. Good lord.

Onto D2. Though he'll probably show the other ending.

edit: He just talked about Kenji Eno and I looked him up, apparently he died in 2013 at 42. drat... :smith:

sigher fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 23, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Keep posting your thoughts, I'm extremely excited for you to see what happens in D2.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sometimes i wish i could erase my mind and just reexperience blindly the crazy in D, D2, and to some extent Enemy Zero. EZ is the lease nuts game but they all are incredible in their own way (especially any revelation about the main character. They are all the greatest.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
D2 is the time cube of video games

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I love how Laura never speaks on screen so she's apparently retarded and everyone has to just talk forever because she can't make any comments

I also love that in one of the D trilogy, Laura is a half-angel half-robot

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Crabtree posted:

I guess its the closet I'll get, but I kind of want something where you wouldn't feel as empowered like you can get in a souls game. Something where you have to be careful with your supplies because monsters are different and you need to be absolutely sure what you're going to do is going to work or you could easily get hosed because you might not actually have much in the case of weapons. Anything from putting up what little rune or mystical knowledge you can gather into wards to hide out some place for a night/secure a passage or attempt to kill the creature near you for any kind of ingredients or possibly something to increase your abilities. Sort of like a witcher game where you aren't a monster hunting mutant right off the bat but maybe can work yourself up to becoming something dangerous enough to survive in the wilderness of madness and the few potential cities or towns you can come across.

I remember asking about something similar (I wanted State of Decay but with cosmic horrors) way back in the thread and someone said there was something in development. My PC blew up shortly after though so I stopped following the progress and forget what it was called. I'll check and edit this post...

http://frogwares.com/games/#The_Sinking_City

There's all of one screenshot at the moment. Not much to go on.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 23, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Drunken Baker posted:

(I wanted State of Decay but with cosmic horrors)

http://frogwares.com/games/#The_Sinking_City

There's all of one screenshot at the moment. Not much to go on.
John Langan's The Shallows The Game is a brilliant pitch and I'd totally play that. I haven't heard about The Sinking City but if that's what it's delivering, I'll play it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Frogwares does the surprisingly decent Sherlock Holmes games, so I bet it'll be pretty decent at the investigation, if nothing else.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Grapplejack posted:

Keep posting your thoughts, I'm extremely excited for you to see what happens in D2.

I'm barely into D2, I just got to the part where he's out exploring the tundra. Not much has happened other than the black girl getting facefucked by a plant but Laura's mute character thing is done so poorly it's incredible. Also the black dude that saves their lives trying to give a speech about who or what is real was so god drat bad.

I'll continue when I get home from work.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If you guys are enjoying d and d2, I'd recommend deep fear for the Sega Saturn. It has similar quirkiness and its a decent resident evil clone but in underwater lab.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

If you guys are enjoying d and d2, I'd recommend deep fear for the Sega Saturn. It has similar quirkiness and its a decent resident evil clone but in underwater lab.

Don't forget Blue Stinger on Dreamcast.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keep posting LPs and I'll keep watching them, I just got to the second boss of D2 where the giant dove pecks at the grandfather and causes him to explode. lol

Yeah, this is another game where I feel bad for anyone that picked this up full price. I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of this game's crazy have I?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Keep posting LPs and I'll keep watching them, I just got to the second boss of D2 where the giant dove pecks at the grandfather and causes him to explode. lol

Yeah, this is another game where I feel bad for anyone that picked this up full price. I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of this game's crazy have I?

I don't know why you'd feel bad, it was discussed in its time in the same way Deadly Premonition was, a mix between "I can't parse this and hate it" to "Wait there's actually an interesting game buried in the crazy." But ultimately it was forgotten as the Dreamcast became the butt of every joke. I picked it up on recommendation from X-play or Gamespot TV or Tech-TV whatever the gently caress who gave it a good score and the writing was on the wall for the Dreamcast. It came out during a renaissance for survival horror games blending genres so it's like three straight years from 1998 to 2001 of Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Dino Crisis 1 and 2, Silent Hill 1 and 2, System Shock 2, Code Veronica, Illbleed, Fear Effect, and Fatal Frame.

It's unfortunate Eno burned his Sony bridge because if D2 was rereleased on PS2 it would've probably ended up like Siren or Kuon as a cult classic all the hardcore collectors snatched up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I only feel bad because spending $60 on this is would be absolutely criminal.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Don't forget Blue Stinger on Dreamcast.

Isn't that game more unintentional horror camp comedy in the vein of Illbleed or Deadly Premonition?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Isn't that game more unintentional horror camp comedy in the vein of Illbleed or Deadly Premonition?

Yeah, that's why it belongs with D2 and Deep Fear. It's a decent 3D brawler masquerading as a survival horror but you're body slamming mutants to Christmas music while chugging hassy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Overblood is fun.

I don't think I'd say it does well as a horror game, but I think it is endearing for what it is.

Overblood's pretty cool.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Overblood is even better if you've played Doctor Hauzer first, because it comes off feeling more like a successor to Hauzer than just a sci-fi Resident Evil.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Now that I think about it, why hasn't there been a horror game where you are the company producing and releasing zombie-esque viruses for battle data? Where you start off in your boring office, selecting an area to infect, walking into that town and everything's nice and safe and happy and then just releasing all hell on Racoon city? You can give a poo poo about survivors or not, the only thing that pays the bills though is that sweet battle data.

Agent: the Company is trusting you in the important task of setting off the true test of The Product. Your goal is to chronicle and study its effects within the field and how useful it can be in its current state. That said, the one thing that guarantees your continued employment and worth is satisfactory data first and foremost.

The Company expects absolute discretion in all things. It is imperative you do not reveal the existence of The Company to outside sources nor the true nature of The Product. Failure to do so will be grounds for termination to be carried out by other agents within the field. With that in mind, you will also be rewarded for removing any other asset that has become a liability. Loyalty can be very lucrative and show any promising agent to be an even bigger asset worthy of help and protection within the field.

However, we are a company, agent. Not a charity. Money makes the world go around and money is both your tool and your ticket to escape, providing you have data that we would want. The Company encourages resourcefulness in the field and does not care for any liquid currency, sensitive information, interesting mutation samples or resources you may acquire during the operation. It may save you from dipping into your payment and escape means at the same time, so in the event of your success you enjoy a very vast sum of money for satisfactory service.

The Company does not care for the survival of outsiders within the field. However, it would be a good opportunity to set up not only cheap means of protection, but also useful test subjects to go up against The Product in battle if you try to salvage any civilians. We stress all Agents remember Do not be discovered or let sensitive information about The Company fall into outside hands or these individuals would need to be terminated. In failing to do this, The Agents who allowed them to discover and report this will also be terminated.

Good luck, Agent.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 25, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There is nothing unintentional about Deadly Premonition. They knew exactly what they were doing. :colbert: Combat was publisher meddling, 100%. It was a budget title to begin with, and splitting that $20 between adventure and combat stretched them thin.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 25, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not with the gameplay

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Crabtree posted:

Good luck, Agent.

"Evil corporation sim" is actually a pretty fantastic hook for a game, I'd play the heck out of this.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

King of Bleh posted:

"Evil corporation sim" is actually a pretty fantastic hook for a game, I'd play the heck out of this.

I'd play the hell out of Evil Genius: Horror Redux

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think there's Lobotomy Inc or something around there in early access. It's not dissimilar to what you're penciling our.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bogart posted:

There is nothing unintentional about Deadly Premonition. They knew exactly what they were doing. :colbert: Combat was publisher meddling, 100%. It was a budget title to begin with, and splitting that $20 between adventure and combat stretched them thin.
I think there might also have been some legal meddling by someone with the rights to Twin Peaks, the game in the previews was a very different game.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Skyscraper posted:

I think there might also have been some legal meddling by someone with the rights to Twin Peaks, the game in the previews was a very different game.

The game we got was great but it was a compromised and hastily stitched-together version of the original vision. The game was actually supposed to be "Rainy Woods" and just 100% be a Japanese Twin Peaks simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

the black husserl posted:

The game we got was great but it was a compromised and hastily stitched-together version of the original vision. The game was actually supposed to be "Rainy Woods" and just 100% be a Japanese Twin Peaks simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Yeah, I heard it got changed specifically because that trailer looked too much like Twin Peaks, but I don't know how true that is or who exactly demanded the changes.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

I think there's Lobotomy Inc or something around there in early access. It's not dissimilar to what you're penciling our.

Isn't Plague Inc basically this?
I mean you're playing more as a disease but it's basically what he's describing more or less.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On "game got changed" subject, Alan Wake's early media shows an open world Pacific Northwest and you can sort of piece together the maps that were to make up the 10x10km world left in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyone else pick up Friday the 13th? I got the PS4 version and while I've been having trouble connecting to matches when I do its a ton of fun.

Skyscraper posted:

If we ever get Deadly Premonition 2, I hope its done in the even more batshit style of Twin Peaks Season 3. :allears: