Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

spog posted:

Bicycle tyres work in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Word to the wise: if your car has electronic tire pressure sensors, do avoid using blingy metallic valve stem caps. Electrolytic corrosion will ensue and your valve stem can snap off at any time

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If anything, you'll be messing with tires and air pressure far more often on a bike than a car.

Split the difference and get a tiny electric car with solid wheels.

You can drive your car right into the store!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sue Eastside posted:

Word to the wise: if your car has electronic tire pressure sensors, do avoid using blingy metallic valve stem caps. Electrolytic corrosion will ensue and your valve stem can snap off at any time

Blingy caps even welded themselves to my standard, non-TPS valves.

and they didn't even get me any pussy. 0/10 would not buy again

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

~The Rules~ say not to put your bike on its head either :colbert:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

man, I am just not the type of dude who knows how to do poo poo. Seems obvious now. gently caress cars I wish I could get rid of mine.

It's ok man. Once you realize it's not magic, and that you're going to get dirty and likely busy your knuckles a couple of times, working on your car becomes a lot more accessible.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

~The Rules~ say not to put your bike on its head either :colbert:

It's ok man. Once you realize it's not magic, and that you're going to get dirty and likely busy your knuckles a couple of times, working on your car becomes a lot more accessible.

~The Rules~ are going to be exhibit #1 in my defense if I ever run over a cyclist.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

shame on an IGA posted:

~The Rules~ are going to be exhibit #1 in my defense if I ever run over a cyclist.

Please be nice to cyclists. Even if some of them are tryhard jerks.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can drive your car right into the store!

tbf I've seen enough gifs and youtubes that say you can do that regardless

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Sagebrush posted:

ftfy. they can explode at any moment without any warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9bzNzM9UrU&t=10s

How did the tire not flatten right after that? Just a slow leak into the bulge maybe?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Applesnots posted:

How did the tire not flatten right after that? Just a slow leak into the bulge maybe?

Yeah, it may have just been a thin slit or small hole between the layers that caused the outer layer to inflate until it blew off.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Cool, makes sense

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Or maybe it was aliens.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That better not be in the white house.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

I'm taking the stairs if i ever see that sign.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Yeah why would anyone get in an elevator that required a warning sign like that posted?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Enfys posted:

Yeah why would anyone get in an elevator that required a warning sign like that posted?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

It’s an RK 5000 bucket chain excavator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UL6ukglbO0

God the sound. I need to go change my pants.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wasabi the J posted:

Which is something you should take into account when you're looking for a new hobby while waiting for your injured hand to heal.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It never comes as less of a surprise.

"I will bust my knuckles, and that's ok. I will bust my knuckles, I will bust my knuckles, I w-- *BANG* MOTHERFUCK poo poo gently caress AH poo poo gently caress."

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Baltimore crews destroys wrong building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt9Lvi7-W8Y

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Was this a case of them doing it wrong, or the buildings being built wrong/already falling apart? Or both?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

According to the youtube comments they were all slated to be demo'd, the last one just fell down before they expected. It seemed extremely fragile to fall down so easily, but that's why they were condemned and slated for emergency demo in the first place.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mozi posted:

Was this a case of them doing it wrong, or the buildings being built wrong/already falling apart? Or both?

They knock a rather large section of brick wall the wrong way which tears the front wall off the other building.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Brick structures really aren’t great at shock loading, especially ones that have already been condemned.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, they could have been more careful and avoided that, but since they were all slated for demo they probably were more reckless (than usual)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Enfys posted:

Probably just a prank. Anyone could put up a sign like that next to any elevator. I kinda want to put some up right now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It is required by law in my state to put up signs saying that. :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I did a project on elevator safety for a risk analysis course and in North America the leading cause of death of passengers (as opposed to construction workers, maintenance personnel, or rescuers trying to reach a stuck car) was failure to properly board the elevator car, which included the door opening with no car present and the passenger entering the shaft and falling.

Another cool way to die also included getting stuck and crushed between the floor/ceiling of the car and the ceiling/floor of the floor they were on due to faulty door sensors

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What I want to know is how the gently caress do you not notice the lack of a cabin when the doors open?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

GotLag posted:

What I want to know is how the gently caress do you not notice the lack of a cabin when the doors open?

Smartphones.
Also people are terrific at not looking where they go.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattleMaster posted:

I did a project on elevator safety for a risk analysis course and in North America the leading cause of death of passengers (as opposed to construction workers, maintenance personnel, or rescuers trying to reach a stuck car) was failure to properly board the elevator car, which included the door opening with no car present

That happened to my mom once. While she was on the way home from her psych appointment treating her phobia of elevators. :suicide:

Doc told her to stop at the supermarket and get two big paper bags full of groceries, including a couple bunches of celery so she wouldn't be able to see well while carrying them, then get on the elevator without looking and just look at her groceries on the ride up to our floor. The elevator came, she didn't follow instructions and instead peeked into the compartment, and the elevator car was not there.

She decided not to continue trying to get over her fear of elevators, and has taken the stairs ever since.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That's a rather benign phobia to have.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

That's a rather benign phobia to have.

It was until she got arthritis in her knees, yeah. Kind of sucks being old and not being able to go above the ground floor.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

yikes :stare:

I picked elevators as a project topic because I had a phobia of elevators. I actually helped me to get over it by seeing the actual numbers made me realize just how infrequently people get hurt using elevators. It also helped that most passenger injuries or deaths were caused by "user error" - not paying attention when boarding, trying to rush closing doors and getting caught into them, or even trying to escape a stuck elevator and falling off the elevator car roof.

I still try to avoid them unless it's absolutely necessary though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Smartphones.
Also people are terrific at not looking where they go.

But don't you have to look anyway so you don't walk into someone?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

GotLag posted:

But don't you have to look anyway so you don't walk into someone?

Listen pal I don't have to do anything, it's a free country.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

BattleMaster posted:

yikes :stare:

I picked elevators as a project topic because I had a phobia of elevators. I actually helped me to get over it by seeing the actual numbers made me realize just how infrequently people get hurt using elevators. It also helped that most passenger injuries or deaths were caused by "user error" - not paying attention when boarding, trying to rush closing doors and getting caught into them, or even trying to escape a stuck elevator and falling off the elevator car roof.

I still try to avoid them unless it's absolutely necessary though.
It's probably for the best, I'm a lazy gently caress who takes the elevator to avoid ascending two floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I avoid elevators because they make me motion sick.