Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MA-Horus posted:

I don't even remember anymore are there biotic combos in ME2?

Warp specifically will detonate targets that are affected by pull and singularity. But that's a function of Warp. Nothing else combos in 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Kurieg posted:

Warp specifically will detonate targets that are affected by pull and singularity. But that's a function of Warp. Nothing else combos in 2.

And that's why Adepts are very fun to play. It's good in 2. Better in 3. Amazing in andromeda.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
3/A are loving great because everything combos. Biotics, tech, ammo powers, you name it. My only complaint about MEA combat is that they got rid of warp and replaced it with lovely Lance. Which needs to be aimed (doesn't track) and is a detonator only. Oh and they got rid of Dark Channel :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes, lance isn't detonatable. but you can Talent throw and incinerate to both detonate and prime. My sentinel deck was pretty insane :unsmigghh:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kurieg posted:

Nothing else combos in 2.

not exactly, a lifted enemy from shockwave, singularity or pull was more susceptible to attacks like throw, slam or charge on top of being able to trigger biotic explosions w/ warp; these weren't exactly proper combos tho, just a bit more damage or just a bit more distance when throwing a dude into the stratosphere

slam was real good in ME2 since it had both a lift phase and an attack phase so it was useful in any situation (so of course miranda had it), whereas reave had some other effect with weapon damage or something iirc

I wanna say concussive shot could also 'combo' with lifted enemies since these combinations were more like neat physics interactions than ME3's exaggerated named attacks (which were absolutely great, don't get me wrong) but other than this kind of stuff there were no true combos in 2 except for warp explosion

hard counter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 29, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hard counter posted:

not exactly, a lifted enemy from shockwave, singularity or pull was more susceptible to attacks like throw, slam or charge on top of being able to trigger biotic explosions w/ warp; these weren't exactly proper combos tho, just a bit more damage or just a bit more distance when throwing a dude into the stratosphere

slam was real good in ME2 since it had both a lift phase and an attack phase so it was useful in any situation (so of course miranda had it), whereas reave had some other effect with weapon damage or something iirc

I wanna say concussive shot could also 'combo' with lifted enemies since these combinations were more like neat physics interactions than ME3's exaggerated named attacks (which were absolutely great, don't get me wrong) but other than this kind of stuff there were no true combos in 2 except for warp explosion

I don't remember a weapon damage multiplier but Reave is an instant hit, does extra damage to both armor and barriers, stuns the target if they don't have protection, instantly heals you to 50% health (I think), and gave you a heal over time past that as long as the power is active. Which basically made it my go to bonus power on high difficulties.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

I don't remember a weapon damage multiplier but Reave is an instant hit, does extra damage to both armor and barriers, stuns the target if they don't have protection, instantly heals you to 50% health (I think), and gave you a heal over time past that as long as the power is active. Which basically made it my go to bonus power on high difficulties.

yeah reave was definitely intense, i doubled checked and it does have an increased weapon damage multiplier on top of all the stuff you mentioned, if you can believe the ME wiki anyway - slam kind of does a special combo on a lifted enemy in the sense that its animation changes slightly, a lifted dude now gets flung into the floor so hard he'll bounce on top of the increased damage for combining those two physics effects but it's still nothing as explicit as warp explosion or any of me3's combos

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Flashbang Grenade was and is still the most powerful ME2 bonus power. With the right class and evolution choices you can stun lock whole groups of enemies.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Next update's ingredients:
Vodka
Kahlua
Fireball

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Vodka
Kahlua
Fireball

:stare:

what is wrong with you

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

:stare:

what is wrong with you
I have to do something with all this booze

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

I have to do something with all this booze

Have you tried making a bonfire with all that booze?

Malah
May 18, 2015

Vodka
Kahlua
Fireball
:wtc: no please have mercy I have a family

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Quarian kangaroo court

The Drink
Trial By Fireball
2 oz Kahlua
1 oz vodka
1 oz Fireball

Add all ingredients to a shaker full of ice. Shake well to combine and strain into a rocks glass. Alternatively you can serve this on the rocks.

The Drinking Game
Well since everyone is apparently afraid of dying just finish it before the video is over ya big babies.

The Episode
We head down and wake up the geth we pulled off of the derelict Reaper. Turns out the geth have sort of an internal conflict going on. All the geth we've been killing ran away from home to join the Saren/Reaper circus. The "true" geth just want to mind their own business. And we get a geth squadmate! Legion is a cool robot bro and anyone who sells him to Cerberus is an idiot. We'll chat with him a bit more later. Originally you were supposed to run into him on the mission where you go to the Normandy wreck but due to size limitations of using regular discs instead of Blu-Ray they ended up sticking him on the derelict Reaper. If you console edit him in he has dialogue for all the missions, and you can do hilarious poo poo like take him to the Citadel to meet the Council. Who don't believe him about the Reapers either. You can also take him on Tali's recruitment mission which is also funny. He's sort of a prototype, most geth just have one program running on the platform but Legion has over a thousand which allows him to be able to function when away from other geth. He gets a sick rear end sniper rifle.

Then we head off to do Tali's loyalty mission. And we waited so we can bring Legion along which goes over about as well as you'd expect. It's nice that you can do this and people react to it, but I would have liked it if there was more interaction. Like, here's an opportunity for them to actually talk to a geth and maybe try to work poo poo out but no. Tali's on trial for treason and we get roped into being her lawyer. Also turns out her dad is maybe dead, whoops. Tali sent geth parts back per her dad's instructions and it seems he might have used them to reconstruct geth for weapons testing which is all kinds of lovely. The only way Tali can clear her name is for us to take back the ship where he was working which is OH NO DANGEROUS but hey, it's Shepard so will probably be about as difficult as running down to the local convenience store for beer. We'll get to the actual ship-taking next episode since this one is already long and very chatty.

I'm attaching the image (if it actually works) since I can't log into my hosting for some goddamn reason and nobody in support has gotten back to me. If this poo poo doesn't get fixed soon I will have to stab a bitch or something.

e: looks like it doesn't, gently caress

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Admiral Vasectomy

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

while it was actually pretty funny bringing legion along it felt so out of place given the accusations against tali that i wanna say you prob shouldn't have been able to talk past the guard, at least not without a lot more interaction and comments re: the friendly geth when you walk in

still tho, i appreciated the

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

my dad posted:

Admiral Vasectomy

Also Vas Deferens.

We head down and wake up the geth we pulled off of the derelict Reaper. Turns out the geth have sort of an internal conflict going on. All the geth we've been killing ran away from home to join the Saren/Reaper circus. The "true" geth just want to mind their own business. And we get a geth squadmate! Legion is a cool robot bro and anyone who sells him to Cerberus is an idiot. We'll chat with him a bit more later. Originally you were supposed to run into him on the mission where you go to the Normandy wreck but due to size limitations of using regular discs instead of Blu-Ray they ended up sticking him on the derelict Reaper. If you console edit him in he has dialogue for all the missions, and you can do hilarious poo poo like take him to the Citadel to meet the Council. Who don't believe him about the Reapers either.
You can still take him to talk to the security counter at the Citadel, which gives a fantastic little exchange.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shaking hand with Legion is kinda cute. :3:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

- I would never bring a live geth into the fleet, that's impossible!

*Legion is seen picking his nose in the background

- We are thinking of going to war with the geth, to take back our homeworld!

*Legion is building a consensus whether to eat the booger or not

- I hate the geth and want them all dead!

*Consensus reached, bon appetit (bon appetit, bon appetit x1000)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Admiral Xen is buttshit crazy. :stare:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I would have liked to have been at the Bioware meeting where they did the voice casting for the Quarians.

"So, yeah, they're all going to have, like, weird Slavic accents and we'll run it through a voice filter a bit so it sounds really alien. Except this one. This one's from Barnsley."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I would have liked to have been at the Bioware meeting where they did the voice casting for the Quarians.

"So, yeah, they're all going to have, like, weird Slavic accents and we'll run it through a voice filter a bit so it sounds really alien. Except this one. This one's from Barnsley."

Isn't Veetor the only one with a vaguely Slavic accent? Reegar clearly has an American accent, Xen is just Claudia Black's normal voice, Raan is using her normal accent from what I can tell, Gerrel is Logain and all the other Bioware characters he plays, etc. Heck Tali early in ME1 doesn't even have the accent yet.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Admiral Shan is Shohreh Aghdashloo, better known as Undersecretary Avasarala in "The Expanse" who is loving awesome.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man, I can't play 2 w/o unlocking brobot Legion from the start. He's got a lot of character and is generally pretty funny. Shame he got locked so far to the end of game in the release.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ratchild13 posted:

Man, I can't play 2 w/o unlocking brobot Legion from the start. He's got a lot of character and is generally pretty funny. Shame he got locked so far to the end of game in the release.

I think there are some core story missions (Horizon/Collector Ship/Derelict Reaper) you can't bring him on because they didn't record dialogue for him and the game breaks, but otherwise he's a chatterbox since he was intended to be an early recruit. Though I wonder what the Normandy crash site mission would have been like if it was mandatory to pick up a crew member - for everyone else you either get them because you have to (Miranda, Jason), the game hands them to you on a silver platter when you head to a place you need to go anyway (DLC Zaeed and Kasumi), or it's a big recruitment set piece mission and unless you have the DLC you have to go on the mission.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Poil posted:

Admiral Xen is buttshit crazy. :stare:

Xen owns and I would follow her anywhere

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Spudd posted:

Xen owns and I would follow her anywhere

Half the time it sounds like she wants to do live-surgery on Legion and the other half it just sounds like she wants to jump his bones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

LashLightning posted:

Half the time it sounds like she wants to do live-surgery on Legion and the other half it just sounds like she wants to jump his bones.

Very, very interested in the Geth. Very, very, VERY interested in the Geth.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I absolutely *love* Tali's voice, accent and postprocessing and all.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Next Update's Ingredients
Get yourself the biggest can of Steel Reserve you can find.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Noooooooooooooooooooo

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooo
Well, the next episode is all about bad decisions! :downs:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always sided with the Geth, the Quarians responding to their own creations asking pretty innocent questions by murdering them paints them as pretty loving giant assholes.
My SHep was a giant rear end in a top hat to Tali in ME1, "Stay the gently caress out of my engine room you weird cyborg..."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Well, the next episode is all about bad decisions! :downs:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/drinking_the_bottom_shelf

we can make much worse choices!

note to everyone else: don't let peer pressure make you drink any of this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Christ, why don't you just tell us to poke our own eyes out. Cheaper, faster, and it would accomplish the same thing but with less pain.

Malah
May 18, 2015

:staredog:

Are we just going to continue going downhill every update? Should I invest in some life insurance before the finale?

I can't see how deep this goes and I'm a little scared. :psyduck:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

grack posted:

Christ, why don't you just tell us to poke our own eyes out. Cheaper, faster, and it would accomplish the same thing but with less pain.
Hey it's not like I've suggested drinking Thunderbird

Yet

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hey it's not like I've suggested drinking Thunderbird

Yet

Next it's gonna be Thunderbird, then Maker's Mark, then cough syrup, then Russian aftershave, and then the worst of the worst, the booze that will finally start killing people off in this thread

Goldschlager

(you monster)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
HOLY gently caress IT'S AN UPDATE Sorry for the delay.

(God)winning the war with the Geth

The Drink
Quarian Thought Process
Steel Reserve, in the economy size.

The Drinking Game
Drink every time we see evidence of the Quarians being morons. If you happen to have any left over at the end, pour it out for Rael. Or for yourself.

The Episode
We go to take back the ship that was mysteriously seized by Geth. Tali doesn't know how this happened, since she only sent back non-functioning bits to her dad. There are geth on the ship, but not so many as to make an assault by the Quarians impossible. Of course with the exception of Kal Reegar they seem to be very bad at fighting. And scientific experiments. And breathing on their own.

Turns out Tali's dad was networking them to sapience so he could test weapons on them. And taking down firewalls so the project would go faster :downs: This is about as lovely as what Cerberus did on Pragia. So much so that if it ever comes to light Rael Zora will become a non-person except for in textbooks of poo poo You Just Don't Do. We Paragon our way through it, though you can totally narc off her dad which makes Tali innocent but very pissed off at you and not loyal. Renegade of course involves even more shouting.

This is one of those missions IMO that falls apart if you look at it at all. The Quarian Fleet is 50,000 ships containing 12 million or so Quarians. And yet they couldn't muster a force big enough to wipe out a couple dozen Geth. So logically they accuse someone who wasn't there of treason. I guess it is a cautionary tale of the ends not justifying the means. Also it's too bad you can't have Legion talk with the ones on the ship, apologize profusely and offer to take them home. He actually doesn't say anything about the festivities going on, which is a missed opportunity (though we will kind of hear about it later).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the drink title card gave me a hearty :lol: and was probably the best way to intro that mission

• Locked thread