Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

User0015 posted:

A drunken elf ranger with an extra slot in his quiver for ale

I think Dragonborn look kind of dumb but I'd rather have a party full of them than yet another jackass with his HI-LARIOUS drunkard character. Oh wow your dwarf is always shouting about ale at inappropriate times, how fun!

Why's it always a Scottish accent with dwarves?

Why do Elves always sound English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
because elves are pompous assholes, just like the English

gnolls, bugbears, etc not being kill on sight never made any sense. I blame drizzt

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I'm multiclassing from a Paladin of Bane to a Warlock, and I'm figuring an archfey patron, though if I could find a decent non totally evil (My guy is LE, his take on Bane is more war/conquest than Tyranny, the strong survive, etc.) fiend.

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of faerie stuff, and the DM is ok with bringing in outside influences like making a new one up or taking something from another setting/book/literature/etc.

So I'm looking for suggestions, either for a LE fiend type who synergizes with war/conquest/power or an archfey.

The way I'm spinning it, is that as a paladin, you send positive waves (for lack of a better term) to your deity in exchange for power, but since I'm using an offshoot Shia vs Sunni style of Bane, my positive waves are a little less guided, and some of them have essentially perked this patron's ears.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

SerCypher posted:

I'm sorry you all play with literal children who don't have fun unless they get to do everything they want.

Arivia posted:

It's sad to see how much player entitlement is running rampant in your games. Like everyone's out to have fun, but there has to be an agreement on what's appropriate and enjoyable for everyone and what matches the game you're playing. Talking that out is really important, not just "sure you can be whatever" leading to lovely unintelligible groups with no reason to be together.

Hey hate to break it to you both but DMs are, in fact, also players, and are just as capable of being guilty of "player entitlement" and acting like literal children who don't have fun unless they get to do anything they want. And if anything are more likely to be such.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pham Nuwen posted:

Huh? Gimli was from the West Country.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of faerie stuff, and the DM is ok with bringing in outside influences like making a new one up or taking something from another setting/book/literature/etc.

So I'm looking for suggestions, either for a LE fiend type who synergizes with war/conquest/power or an archfey.

Literally just make one up.

Give it a name and a goal, and then shamelessly rip parts off from whatever stuff inspired the idea in the first place. You only need a short paragraph.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Mammon is my go to fiend for warlocks. He's the rare devil who will trade power for gold, instead of souls. So I just offer him a gently caress ton of my loot and he gives me power and we both walk away happy.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

AlphaDog posted:

Literally just make one up.

Give it a name and a goal, and then shamelessly rip parts off from whatever stuff inspired the idea in the first place. You only need a short paragraph.

That's the idea, but looking for some goon sources to crib from.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

How does magic mouth work. Does casting it a second time overwrite the first or can you stack them indefinitely? Can I spend a year in a town putting "any time anyone walks by" triggers on literally everything, recreating this UCB skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDeXfGHXfw

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

That's the idea, but looking for some goon sources to crib from.

RIght. Sorry.

For an archfey, a good inspiration might be Lea or even Mab from the Dresden Files. Helpful, but they always want something in return and they're playing a long enough game that you're probably not going to figure out exactly what they're really up to until it's far too late for you to get out of it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

VaultAggie posted:

Mammon is my go to fiend for warlocks. He's the rare devil who will trade power for gold, instead of souls. So I just offer him a gently caress ton of my loot and he gives me power and we both walk away happy.

So he's just like a shopkeeper? He doesn't sound all that evil.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Hey hate to break it to you both but DMs are, in fact, also players, and are just as capable of being guilty of "player entitlement" and acting like literal children who don't have fun unless they get to do anything they want. And if anything are more likely to be such.

Yes, GMs are generally more invested in the game because of the much larger amount of time they spend working on and thinking about the game than the players. This means their opinion should count for more because they do a ton of work so that everyone else can have fun. It doesn't mean it's appropriate to say that the GM should throw out all their plans just because one player isn't playing ball. It does mean there should be some discussion and coordination beforehand. The GM gets the last word, however.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think Dragonborn look kind of dumb but I'd rather have a party full of them than yet another jackass with his HI-LARIOUS drunkard character. Oh wow your dwarf is always shouting about ale at inappropriate times, how fun!

Why do Elves always sound English?

Dwarves sound like theyre in Fargo imo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gort posted:

He pretty much the embodiment of Greed. (Also more then any other Major Devil kind of a petty rear end in a top hat) his mortal cult is also second in size only to Asmodeus, as greed and obtaining wealth appaels to lots of creatures.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Under the vegetable posted:

The way Kenku are defined, you could just roleplay them as a normal person. Their ability to imitate and mimic speech and behaviors is indistinguishable from independent thought in most contexts, I'm sure. It's like that book Blindsight or whatever that was about, I never read it.
The Chinese Room/Philosophical Zombie approach.

I'm playing a Kenku Ranger, all my plans are explained by "I saw it in a play" or "Actually the Dwarf thought of it".

mango sentinel posted:

It's incredibly stupid that 5e Kenku defigning traits are inability to synthesize ideas or speak languages when corvids are well known for making tools and adeptly mimicking human speech.
According to ~the lore~ kenku were highly creative creatures who had this and the powers of flight and speech stripped from them as a punishment. I think their backstory is neat and a change from "elfs like trees". But if someone is all "oh I wanted to play a crow man :(" then

mango sentinel posted:

Just let people play birds people that are effectively humans.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 22, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You said outright that it was a grognard moment so I don't understand why you're all so defensive about people jumping on you for putting a setting's lore over player preference.

You know what you did.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really don't see any reason the Kenku curse needs to go as far as it does. Just rob them of flight, treat them as a permanent undercaste in most societies, and strip them of their own voices. It's kind of a merely academic distinction if you let them speak in someone else's voice, but it sounds tragic and it doesn't put massive obstacles in front of playing a fun race.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

He pretty much the embodiment of Greed. (Also more then any other Major Devil kind of a petty rear end in a top hat) his mortal cult is also second in size only to Asmodeus, as greed and obtaining wealth appaels to lots of creatures.

You're not going to be able to hold your head up in devil society if all you can bring to the table is "I gave a guy power for a reasonable amount of gold". That's just a transaction.

"We both walk away happy" doesn't sound like a literal devil's deal to me. Sniff.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gort posted:

D&D's economy functions on metallic commodity money, so by having his servants acquire gold/platinum/etc. and remove it from common circulation Mammon can cause deflation, which creates all sorts of negative economic effects that lead to widespread mortal suffering

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

LGD posted:

D&D's economy functions on metallic commodity money, so by having his servants acquire gold/platinum/etc. and remove it from common circulation Mammon can cause deflation, which creates all sorts of negative economic effects that lead to widespread mortal suffering

Alternatively, Mammon is stockpiling currency with which to overthrow demigods or other archdevils or some such with. This almost happened to Gargauth, I guess:

quote:

His one weakness was being struck by silver, which had the potential to seriously injure him, though after an almost deadly encounter involving a thrown sack of silver coins, Gargauth ensured that he was protected with spells when meeting anybody he did not already have complete control over.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

mango sentinel posted:

Just let people play birds people that are effectively humans.

Yeah, I basically mentioned this as one of the solutions under the "you can play anything as a kenku if the DM or other players aren't gonna be dicks about it being a handicapped race or whatever"

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

You said outright that it was a grognard moment so I don't understand why you're all so defensive about people jumping on you for putting a setting's lore over player preference.

You know what you did.

Yeah it was a grognard moment. I mean I'm playing the pathfinder setting which is by default a grognard move to start with.

Like I said earlier, she didn't let me play a Tenku in her game after my Goliath died because of the annoying lore. I didn't want to figure out Dragonborn lore for Pathfinder.

It's like half the people in here have never said "Errr... I don't think that's going to fit with the game" when the players want something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Right it's because it'd be really weird if a DM said "elves....I don't think there's any place in this D&D campaign for elves" and dragonborn aren't any weirder than elves.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SerCypher posted:

It's like half the people in here have never said "Errr... I don't think that's going to fit with the game" when the players want something.

Prefer "that's an interesting idea. I think it might work best in this setting if you approached it like..."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

You know what you did.

I think it just comes entirely down to how they told the story. The way it was originally phrased, it was a dick move. The way SerCypher expanded on it later, it's just a player and GM deciding what fits in the setting. One of those is lovely, and one is perfectly fine.

Subjunctive posted:

Prefer "that's an interesting idea. I think it might work best in this setting if you approached it like..."

It's worth noting that, in later posts, SerCypher says they did exactly that: presented alternatives that fit the setting better. The player apparently wanted Official Dragonborn or nothing, so went with a different race instead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LGD posted:

"Mammon's servants wage economic warfare on good, prosperous nations in an attempt to collapse their economies, hoping that in their desperation the newly impoverished souls will turn to Mammon for salvation."

So yeah he does do stuff like that.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

That is what I did. We talked about Wyverans and also being from the Gold Dragon Eugenic's island.

I called it a grognard moment because we ended up talking about when different races went mainstream the PHB.

Then she decided to play a different race/class entirely.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

SerCypher posted:

I'm not sure I ever have said that, to be honest. It's my world and I'm the DM; I've pulled everything from flintlock gunblades to a society of talking bears out of my rear end. Talking Bear Town actually ended up being a really major plot point once I put more thought into it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Which core book are the kenku in? Whenever I search for it, it goes to that homebrew accumulation site. If it's not homebrew then I don't know what to think because you scroll to the bottom and it is filed under homebrew.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll admit I've definitely run games with very defined settings--even one or two games where I used D&D and some things in the PHB didn't fit with the setting. I told my players that beforehand, told them what alternate races or classes were also available, and it was fine because it was all up-front. And if a player said they wanted to play in that and then came to me with something that didn't fit in the setting, I'd probably tell them they couldn't play that as-is but we could look for similar alternatives that would fit better.

It's possible I've been a lovely grognard GM all along, I dunno. But I also think that as long as you're upfront about it and everyone's interested in that game world, you're good to go.

Where there are issues is when there's a lack of communication or miscommunication between the GM and players about what the game's going to be. If the GM's vetoing character ideas left and right, clearly the GM didn't communicate what they want to run well enough, or the players want something the GM isn't running and there's a disconnect there.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Which core book are the kenku in? Whenever I search for it, it goes to that homebrew accumulation site. If it's not homebrew then I don't know what to think because you scroll to the bottom and it is filed under homebrew.

They're in Volo's Guide to Monsters.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
A Battle Master's Commander's Strike can trigger a Sneak Attack, correct? The Sneak Attack description just says "once per turn," not one sneak attack until your next turn. Or is there some errata that says a sneak attack can only be used during an attack action, and not a reaction attack?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Quixzlizx posted:

A Battle Master's Commander's Strike can trigger a Sneak Attack, correct? The Sneak Attack description just says "once per turn," not one sneak attack until your next turn. Or is there some errata that says a sneak attack can only be used during an attack action, and not a reaction attack?

Yeah nothing prevents this. It's been outright stated that this works as intended. If sneak attack said once a round it would not work, but it does not say that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Right it's because it'd be really weird if a DM said "elves....I don't think there's any place in this D&D campaign for elves" and dragonborn aren't any weirder than elves.

my DM has said that for 12 years now and no one has successfully convinced him to allow an elf

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

So I'm multiclassing from a Paladin of Bane to a Warlock, and I'm figuring an archfey patron, though if I could find a decent non totally evil (My guy is LE, his take on Bane is more war/conquest than Tyranny, the strong survive, etc.) fiend.

I have some dark fey in my campaign. You could try checking out The Witcher setting and novels for ideas and you could also check out this which is free:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171455/Wayward-Fey

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Arivia posted:

Yes, GMs are generally more invested in the game because of the much larger amount of time they spend working on and thinking about the game than the players. This means their opinion should count for more because they do a ton of work so that everyone else can have fun. It doesn't mean it's appropriate to say that the GM should throw out all their plans just because one player isn't playing ball. It does mean there should be some discussion and coordination beforehand. The GM gets the last word, however.

Do you ... not make up everything on the fly?

I can't imagine investing actual time into writing an adventure for players to use. What a waste that would be.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Arivia posted:

"Can I play a dragonborn" is not a "throw out all their plans" moment, is the thing. It really, really isn't.

And like, hold up, because THIS argument IS a thing, and it's the dumbest loving thing in the world. Huamns who are also kind of a dragon are no inherently weirder then humans with pointy ears that are inherently magical and live for centuries. Actually, "people who are also kind of a dragon" are way loving more normal then people who live for centuries and yet have never actually changed their culture once. That's beyond bizarre. They are no inherently weirder then humans who are a bit shorter and rounder but again live for centuries and have some weird inherent link to their planet's lithosphere. They are no inherently weirder then humans who were born with their hair eternally on fire because their dad hosed a fire that was also kinda moving around at the time.

What they are, is a NEW thing that wasn't as common thirty years ago.

The whole thing is just an argument of familiarity, in which case, yes, actually, proclaiming that something doesn't fit and nobody is allowed to play it just because you didn't grow up with it thirty years ago is indeed stupid as hell.

SerCypher posted:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm not sure I ever have said that, to be honest. It's my world and I'm the DM; I've pulled everything from flintlock gunblades to a society of talking bears out of my rear end. Talking Bear Town actually ended up being a really major plot point once I put more thought into it.

I say it when it would be a major tonal shift, and only then. Everything in Lunatic Sledge's post sounds rad af and totally has a place in my games.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Do you ... not make up everything on the fly?

I can't imagine investing actual time into writing an adventure for players to use. What a waste that would be.

My game prep is a small set of plot hooks and bundles of pre-made encounters that can be refluffed and reslotted as needed, as well as a few occasional stat blocks for major characters, ways to change up said encounters to fit situations better, and locations and settings. The idea of pre-ordaining so much is bizarre. Why do all that work for so little return?

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 23, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

mastershakeman posted:

out of curiosity, do random NPCs in your campaigns simply not react to people's zany characters ?

It depends on what you mean by "not react." I think having NPCs all go "whoa what's with X, tell me your deal" is tedious, but the vast majority of people when faced with something unusual would probably just look/act uncomfortable, and you can punctuate that with the occasional direct address from people in the form of poo poo like trying to stay at an inn and being told "okay, you can have rooms for the night, but your animal [cat person PC or w/e] has to stay in the stables." Depending on the layout of the group that helps turn it into something everyone gets to participate in, which is the whole point of character hooks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"Once per turn" doesn't carry the implication of "on your turn"?

Anything that triggers once per turn can trigger multiple times per round because everyone gets a turn? A rogue can sneak attack, then sneak attack again as a reaction if they get Commander's Strike? A Ranger gets the bonus damage from Colossus Slayer when they attack, and then again if they take an OA against a different target in the same round?

I'm gonna have to tell someone they've been doing it wrong.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, tonight my Adventurer's League group finished months of play with killing off Strahd; it was a ridiculous comedy of errors that wound up with us barely managing to blast Strahd to gas form as he lept from the tallest tower in the castle, then spending most of our time before his respawn frantically tracking down the NPCs that were taken in the middle of the fight when one of them (who we had gone to a great deal of trouble to raise considering we took her brother to the Amber Temple to manage the trick) betrayed us. We located his tomb bare minutes before he returned and after penetrating the defenses and defending vampires my bard frantically managed to hammer a stake in while our paladin took his head with the sunsword. Very tense, especially when his chamberlain Rahadin showed up afterwards and did his best to cut us down when we had exhausted ALL our spells and class resources getting there through multiple fights. But, we won and managed to leave Barovia sunny and happy (at least until Strahd somehow managed to respawn. Oops, guess we missed a spot). Question we had though was, apparently Adventurer's League had some sort of faction quests (I know my bard was supposed to rescue some kids from the werewolves, which we did) and rewards for completing either that or for completing the module as a whole, but the DM wasn't sure where those were listed. Any idea what awards you're supposed to get in Adventurer's League for beating that campaign, if any?