Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the Porsche thread because I am now a Porsche owner and can look down on various other peoples I think

It's a 1986 Porsche 944 with 97k miles. I paid $2,800. Brand new Dunlop tires, brand new battery. Still has the factory tool kit and air compressor. Exterior is good from a distance, but there are of course a number of small issues. Interior is really clean. If it sits running for a few minutes it starts idling kinda rough, dropping down to a near-stall and then recovering - I'm thinking vacuum leak or idle control valve of some sort. I'm in the learning process about these cars right now.

First order of business is going to be timing belt/balance shaft belt/general tuneup.

I hope I didn't just throw my money away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

944s are awesome, I do like a car with a nice set of hips.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah I've always loved the way those look, nice find!

That interior is nuts for being 31 years old.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My alloy rims have Chris Kings with ceramic bearings. Bomb proof.
Mr. Phillip Wood laughs in your general direction.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

spog posted:

Those wheels look really small and not very good for bumpy roads.

It's a bike meant for ice.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Visiting family in Scotland, rented a Vauxhall Astra. Doing the whole RHD thing for the first time. Not as bad as I thought it'd be, so many roundabouts though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I'm a lefty and honestly I had no problem shifting with my other hand.

Now, remembering to glance left instead of right for the mirror was another thing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Shifting and such was no big deal after a few minutes. I definitely have no idea where to look though still haha.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm impressed you managed to drive a modern generic Vauxhall for any length of time and not simply fall asleep at the wheel.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Here, have a clumsy collage of my juicero lifestyle experience, I have dodged crush injuries yet again:

Mmmm, purple drank

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I gave my 15 year old daughter her first driving lesson yesterday, in the manual trans Fiat 500 we're giving her to drive. She managed to start off without stalling on her second attempt, which made me quite proud.

She's probably going to be the only girl in her school that can drive a stick shift.

*edit*

Wait, does nm talk about breaking wheels in AI AND the cycling threads?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

How is the Astra? I'm like how they look and I'm intrigued by the 1.4 turbo petrol.

At least roundabouts are somewhat intuitive. As a Brit on holiday in the US, I had managed driving in Manhattan fine. I had driven from from Vegas to Tahoe, then entering San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge I thought I had driving in the US sorted. At least until I met my nemesis ... a busy four way stop with no lights. :stare:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Later this week I am going to have to drive from LA to San Francisco and back. To keep things interesting I might take the Coast Highway in one direction or the other - is that drive better on a weekend or a weekday?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This little guy followed me home today :3:

He's 65 pounds, but has 5 15000RPM SCSI drives, a 2.5ghz Xeon E5420 quad core with room for a second and they're only $30 for a matched pair on ebay.

I'm gonna get so many bitcoins with this thing

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Here, have a clumsy collage of my juicero lifestyle experience, I have dodged crush injuries yet again:

Mmmm, purple drank

Spoof the door sensor with a magnet and see how far the platen pushes out.

In other news: I've never seen a paint build surface like POR15's Caliper Paint. I'm using it for the body of my vise and it's like putting putty on with a paintbrush. It's almost making the 100 year old cast metal that's been beat all to hell and back look too good!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

This little guy followed me home today :3:

He's 65 pounds, but has 5 15000RPM SCSI drives, a 2.5ghz Xeon E5420 quad core with room for a second and they're only $30 for a matched pair on ebay.

I'm gonna get so many bitcoins with this thing

Enjoy your new v-host

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Enjoy your new v-host

No, i'm just gonna use it for solitare.

It has redundant 1000w hot plug power supplies so i'll never have any solitare downtime, and an E200i raid controller with 128mb cache, so it should make the cards fall real fast at the end.

It feels like whoever configured this thing was just trying to destroy money while not actually making it so quick that they couldn't sell them a new one in 3 years.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Powershift posted:

It has redundant 1000w hot plug power supplies so i'll never have any solitare downtime, and an E200i raid controller with 128mb cache, so it should make the cards fall real fast at the end.

It feels like whoever configured this thing was just trying to destroy money while not actually making it so quick that they couldn't sell them a new one in 3 years.

Why would you even want to power that tank? I just e-cylced it's brother with dual e5420's and 48GB ram. My $250 Dell T110 II with a modern xeon/32GB/SSD runs twice as fast.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Processing and storage in the same box is some peasant poo poo. :smuggo:

ETA:

the spyder posted:

Why would you even want to power that tank? I just e-cylced it's brother with dual e5420's and 48GB ram. My $250 Dell T110 II with a modern xeon/32GB/SSD runs twice as fast.

This, sadly. Every time I decommission a host I think about adopting it but I can't think of a good use besides inefficient space heating.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

Mr. Phillip Wood laughs in your general direction.

I dont get this reference.....?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just read that two Indy car drivers were robbed at a Taco Bell outside of Indianapolis Speedway. One of them was the pole winner for the Indy 500 :ohdear:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Phil Wood is a manufacturer of high end bicycle hubs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just read that two Indy car drivers were robbed at a Taco Bell outside of Indianapolis Speedway. One of them was the pole winner for the Indy 500 :ohdear:

Believable. I've been to that Taco Bell. Really the entire area around the Speedway is a bad part of town.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Decent quality but ultimately sub-Chris King parts. Also means you have things branded 'Phil' on your bike :crossarms:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the spyder posted:

A free server is a free server.

It's only pulling 188w from the wall right now.

One of the drives sounds like a bag off rocks in a gas powered dryer. The drives are configured into 2 arrays, the 2 36gb drives to boot in raid 1+0 and the 3 72gb drives configured in raid 0 :stonk:

They always ran it in a hot little closet, and i always suggested they shouldn't. I'd imagine when the drive went it was like

"come in and take a look at the server"
"okay, let me take a look, *thump*thump* yup, she's hooped, you got 5 grand on you for a new one?"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Rhino has been making me feel like a blob lately with all his super progress so I threw away all my smoking paraphernalia yesterday. It's just so easy for me to fall back into smoking and when I do I sit in my room, avoid everyone, eat lovely food and play video games. No more.

I brought my 64oz growler of water to work today and drank the whole thing. Ham and turkey sandwiches and tuna right out of the can, nothing bad for me. Went to the gym and stayed longer than usually. I feel really good for the first time in a while. (Until I walk in front of a mirror or dark tinted glass)

Here's to tomorrow!

/cheese

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I watched Suicide Squad last night.

I knew the reviews weren't good, but there's usually some moments of enjoyments in these kind of films,

...I honestly wished I had watched Ghostbusters 2017 again

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

I knew the reviews weren't good, but there's usually some moments of enjoyments in these kind of films,

It's almost impressive how unenjoyable DC's last few have been. Hope they don't gently caress up Wonder Woman because she was the sole bright spot in BvS.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Decent quality but ultimately sub-Chris King parts. Also means you have things branded 'Phil' on your bike :crossarms:

Ahhh. Right

And I bet they dont have the swarm of angry bees sound. Cause BEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ is one of the best ways to alert pedestrians ever.

I have Xentis Silver 4.2 wheels, those hubs have been v.good. Specialized finally got their hubs sorted and the Roval 60's on the bike right now are fantastic. Part of that will be the cermaic bearings but pretty drat sweeeeeet.

quote:

It's almost impressive how unenjoyable DC's last few have been. Hope they don't gently caress up Wonder Woman because she was the sole bright spot in BvS.

Suicide Squad was just.... bad.

Moan of Steel and BvS I thought had the glimpses of a good movie in them at least. I thought MoS was dour but on the other hand the Kryptonians and Superman's powers were depicted really well. It sold the "This guy can wipe out the planet single handed" so much better than previous attempts - better than any Marvel movie and their heros. I'd also disagree WW was the only bright spot in BvS, Batfleck was drat good for the most part. FFS tho, that movie should have been edited a lot better and Lex Luthor redone.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 22, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

spog posted:

Was it that bad? BvS was only alright for me. Was it better or worse than that? Wonder Woman looks awesome. My almost 5 year old daughter even gets pumped up when she sees the trailers for it.

Today is our 8th wedding anniversary. Mrs Heroic and I still like each other so that's nice.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhh. Right

And I bet they dont have the swarm of angry bees sound. Cause BEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ is one of the best ways to alert pedestrians ever.

I have Xentis Silver 4.2 wheels, those hubs have been v.good. Specialized finally got their hubs sorted and the Roval 60's on the bike right now are fantastic. Part of that will be the cermaic bearings but pretty drat sweeeeeet.

Suicide Squad was just.... bad.

Moan of Steel and BvS I thought had the glimpses of a good movie in them at least. I thought MoS was dour but on the other hand the Kryptonians and Superman's powers were depicted really well. It sold the "This guy can wipe out the planet single handed" so much better than previous attempts - better than any Marvel movie and their heros. I'd also disagree WW was the only bright spot in BvS, Batfleck was drat good for the most part. FFS tho, that movie should have been edited a lot better and Lex Luthor redone.

The loudest hubs I've owned are still the Hope Pro 2 Evos on my old XC race bike.

clickity clackity

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Was it that bad? BvS was only alright for me. Was it better or worse than that? Wonder Woman looks awesome. My almost 5 year old daughter even gets pumped up when she sees the trailers for it.

Without hyperbole or exaggeration, I would say that there is a total of 45 seconds of movie time where you aren't actively wishing you doing something else such as watching concrete set.

Those 45 seconds are entirely Margot Robbie quipping as Harley Quinn.

Mind you, she has a lot more dialogue in the film, but that's so badly written that even she can't save it.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Today is our 8th wedding anniversary. Mrs Heroic and I still like each other so that's nice.

If you want her to continue to like you, don't watch this movie with her.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cage posted:

I brought my 64oz growler...

A growler is UK slang for a particularly grimy/hairy lady's front bottom so this amused me.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Fanny pack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Welcome to Indy. It's a shithole.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhh. Right

They make less noise than Chris King (though more than cheap hubs), but they'll out last me. And you know how i am with bike parts.

Kings are much more finicky and harder to service.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Kings are much more finicky and harder to service.

That I doubt -. KIngs are dead easy to service and no where near finnicky in my experience. Plus the big win is King provide any amount of documentation so they can be self serviced with ease.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That I doubt -. KIngs are dead easy to service and no where near finnicky in my experience. Plus the big win is King provide any amount of documentation so they can be self serviced with ease.

Phil literally sends a rebuild kit with the hubs for when you need to do it 5 years from now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Squat rack arrived. I assembled it and realized my 5 foot bar won't work with it so I have a proper sized one on the way now.

Being healthy is expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Phil literally sends a rebuild kit with the hubs for when you need to do it 5 years from now.

Ummm... so does CK if you want it.....? But to be honest in five years time I'd have lost the kit, I can barely find the allen key I just put own in a safe place.......

• Locked thread