Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Apraxin posted:

Also I made the mistake of looking at the Goodreads reviews for Revenger, and one of the top 5 recommended reviews was a '0 stars, did not finish", which I'm gonna reproduce in full here because I could feel my brain melting as I read it, and I really need to share my pain:

48 people liked this review.

oh hey I didn't know that the girls from Foam Adventures wrote book reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty much every top review in goodreads tend to be trash and the top ones are always from the same people. How does one person know everything about shakespearean plays, lord of the rings mythology and the non cannon star wars universe? Well they probably don't so some of the reviews just have no merit because the person writing them has no idea what they read.

I recommend reading more than one review since a rating is always going to be subjective and everyone has a different system. I consider 3/5 stars a good book but for a lot of people 3 stars is really low.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty much every top review in goodreads tend to be trash and the top ones are always from the same people. How does one person know everything about shakespearean plays, lord of the rings mythology and the non cannon star wars universe? Well they probably don't so some of the reviews just have no merit because the person writing them has no idea what they read.

I recommend reading more than one review since a rating is always going to be subjective and everyone has a different system. I consider 3/5 stars a good book but for a lot of people 3 stars is really low.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If someone forced me to give number 3/5 would be my "Well the book was fine, I don't think I will really ever read it again" level.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really hate being forced to use 4 or 5 point review systems, because it quickly becomes "all of it is three, except for a few things i'm really disinclined to be charitable toward or which I'm trying to use to weight my suggestions away from Stephen King's Wolves of the Calla or something. There are a few 5s, but mainly it ends up that almost anything I considered worth finishing ends up as a 3 or 4 simply because most people are inclined to be kinder than they might really be if you could plot their feelings on a graph.

---

I've got a request though. I was wondering if anyone knows of any interesting fantasy and/or historical fantasy novels or series which are set in a pre-Iron Age setting? It could be egyptian warriors or assyrian pirates or even just flat cave people (read clan of the cave bear and one or two of the sequels, it was pretty alright but I forgot most of it.) I'd even settle for a western that mainly oriented around the natives either before or after white people showed up, etc.

I think I'm kind of tired of "this is how a smith works iron and steel, also we totally figured out how damascus steelworks and shoehorned it into this setting," and could use a breather.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

coyo7e posted:

I really hate being forced to use 4 or 5 point review systems, because it quickly becomes "all of it is three, except for a few things i'm really disinclined to be charitable toward or which I'm trying to use to weight my suggestions away from Stephen King's Wolves of the Calla or something. There are a few 5s, but mainly it ends up that almost anything I considered worth finishing ends up as a 3 or 4 simply because most people are inclined to be kinder than they might really be if you could plot their feelings on a graph.

---

I've got a request though. I was wondering if anyone knows of any interesting fantasy and/or historical fantasy novels or series which are set in a pre-Iron Age setting? It could be egyptian warriors or assyrian pirates or even just flat cave people (read clan of the cave bear and one or two of the sequels, it was pretty alright but I forgot most of it.) I'd even settle for a western that mainly oriented around the natives either before or after white people showed up, etc.

I think I'm kind of tired of "this is how a smith works iron and steel, also we totally figured out how damascus steelworks and shoehorned it into this setting," and could use a breather.

I think Dianna Wynne Jones wrote some decent bronze age stuff but I can't remember titles.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I find Goodreads fine, and immensely useful for organising a to-be-read list. Yeah there's some bullshit Tumblresque reviews like that one on the last page but those give themselves away very quickly, like a Wikipedia page you know is unreliable, and for the most part the reviews I see are decent. Although I think I follow well-read people and that affects the algorithms so maybe I see better reviews pop up at the top of a book's page? I know the algorithms for my main feed are completely hosed, they prioritise showing a variety of users rather than whatever's most recent. So I'll see one review from a guy I KNOW reviews a book at least once a week, then scroll down to see the same loving review from last year that one of my friends wrote in November or whatever.

Also yeah the star ratings are dumb and the product of either happy-clappy Tumblr culture or social media corporate culture where expressing bad opinions is steered away from. Two stars is "it was ok" when that's what three stars should be. One star is "didn't like it" whereas four stars is "really liked it" and five stars is "it was amazing"? Come the gently caress on. I only ever read books I expect I'll like but I still come across stinkers with regularity, give us an "absolutely hated it" rating.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you want to see an entertaining wikipedia page (or an attempt at making one), check out the change-logs for B V Larson's wiki entry (or lack of a valid wiki page).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I just finally finished Red Sister, and it was pretty good, but I'm struggling to be excited about 2 sequels. I mean, it not like it was a bad book, but the entire time I couldn't help but compare it to Blood Song, and Blood Song is just a much better magical/battle school type book. I mean this has a great setting, with a lot of unique and interesting world building, but it just a worn genre for me to use as framing device. I feel like his characters in Prince of Fools and Prince of Thorns were just more interesting, and doing more interesting things. Like not spending all day in school.

I don't know, I think I'm just over the whole battle school genre. Just skip to graduation, and we'll take your word that they're badasses with a troubled past.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 22, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Glumslinger posted:

So I just finally finished Red Sister, and it was pretty good, but I'm struggling to be excited about 2 sequels. I mean, it not like it was a bad book, but the entire time I couldn't help but compare it to Blood Song, and Blood Song is just a much better magical/battle school type book. I mean this has a great setting, with a lot of unique and interesting world building, but it just a worn genre for me to use as framing device. I feel like his characters in Prince of Fools and Prince of Thorns were just more interesting, and doing more interesting things. Like not spending all day in school.

I don't know, I think I'm just over the whole battle school genre. Just skip to graduation, and we'll take your word that they're badasses with a troubled past.

I've heard Blood Song is good, but arent the sequels really bad or something? I've put off reading Blood Song just because of how bad the sequels were supposed to be. I'm reading Red Sister (really just started right now so I can't comment about your gripes) since I do like Mark Lawrence's stuff, but I suppose that's one potential difference is the next books could be good as opposed to knowing they're bad.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think Dianna Wynne Jones wrote some decent bronze age stuff but I can't remember titles.

There are 2 books by Matthew Woodring Stover that fit the bill, Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon.

E: Looks like they're back to next to impossible to find in ebook form though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Reminder that Goodreads' review scores are global averages and not predictive and are thus useless.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Victorkm posted:

I just finished the LitRPG book "Dominion Of Blades" by Matt Dinniman. I'd have to give it a hearty recommend. Dominion of Blades is probably the best LitRPG book I have read so far. The writing can be clunky at times, and theres a lot of typos, but there's none of the weird sexism or homophobia that pervades the translated fare (quite the opposite in fact), and the plot is really cool.

All of a sudden two "NPCs" become aware that they are real people in a simulation. Prior to that they had been repeating their same week over and over again, for years and years. They have little memory of their real lives, but they realize they are in the titular game, an old, shut down, full immersion MMORPG which was shut down because prolonged dives into the game tended to cause a sort of reality dysmorphia. The big perk to their lives as NPC fishermen is that they have an impossibly high fishing skill which has bled out into other skills and special abilities to make them quite formidable due to the way the game handles high skill levels and synergy bonuses. For example, the main character can summon fish, call down an ice storm, and has insanely high level skill with an urumi, a whip-sword, because of his high fly fishing skill, all of which feature into the plot. The system has blocked their ability to log out and fast travel, and pain sensitivity is jacked up to the maximum. They can see other people listed as online so they set out to the main city in the game world (which is a scale replica of Earth with the capital being in Seattle) to try to send out a global message to bring them in. Unfortunately they are somewhere in eastern Europe and have very far to travel.

It ends up being a mixture of LitRPG and comedy with a big dollop of horror mixed in.

Theres no damage numbers and the tons of stat blocks people tend to complain about are absent here too.

This is gonna be the LitRPG I am judging others against. I think the only other series which really holds up is Continue Online.

While not really being LitRPG in the same sense people think of it now you should check out Mogworld by Yahtzee Crosshaw. I haven't read Dominion of Blades to know how close the two compare but based on your description here I bet you'd like Mogworld as well.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Xaris posted:

I've heard Blood Song is good, but arent the sequels really bad or something? I've put off reading Blood Song just because of how bad the sequels were supposed to be. I'm reading Red Sister (really just started right now so I can't comment about your gripes) since I do like Mark Lawrence's stuff, but I suppose that's one potential difference is the next books could be good as opposed to knowing they're bad.

Blood song was average at best.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Xaris posted:

Just read Blood Song, it is very self-enclosed. But yeah, I only read the first sequel and it was pretty mediocre. Thinking back on it, somehow it covered way too much ground, while simultaneously dragging the entire way.

God, what a weird book.

But yeah, read Blood Song, its great

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

In a weird confluence of events, China Mieville is on the latest Chapo Trap House podcast.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I think you're thinking of The Spellcoats but that's the only one I can think of.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Just read Blood Song, it is very self-enclosed. But yeah, I only read the first sequel and it was pretty mediocre. Thinking back on it, somehow it covered way too much ground, while simultaneously dragging the entire way.

God, what a weird book.

But yeah, read Blood Song, its great

Read Blood Song and skip the sequels. It doesn't really end on a cliffhanger.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mel Mudkiper posted:

imagine reading the reviews on goodreads

Hmmmm lemme read these reviews on goodreads, hrrrmmmm yes
now lets check some youtube comments, ahhhhh very good
Perhaps I can search feminism on reddit next...

If you see a gif or image meme, skip the review. This has worked well for me with Goodreads reviews.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just finished Wolf Moon, second book in Ian McDonald's Luna trilogy, about a bunch of mafiesque corporate families on the moon which is variously described as Dallas on the Moon or "Game of Domes." It lacks something that stops it from being quite perfect, but it's still really really really good. Like, 9/10 or 5 stars on Goodreads good. Do yourself a favour and check it out.

Something in particular about McDonald is that his prose style - his ability to string together an evocative, descriptive turn of phrase - is by far one of the best in sci-fi. He's actually a genuinely good writer, and could be one outside the sci-fi ghetto if he so chose. The only other exclusively sci-fi writer on that level I can think of is William Gibson.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

freebooter posted:

Just finished Wolf Moon, second book in Ian McDonald's Luna trilogy

It's gonna be a trilogy now? Man, my to-read pile is never going to shrink... (first world problem, I know).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

coyo7e posted:

Michelle Paver's Wolf Brother series.

Rosemary Sutcliff, Warrior Scarlet (probably others too, can't remember whether Sun Horse, Moon Horse is pre-Iron Age or not. All her stuff is worth reading though).

Elizabeth Marshall Thomas' Reindeer Moon series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

freebooter posted:

Just finished Wolf Moon, second book in Ian McDonald's Luna trilogy, about a bunch of mafiesque corporate families on the moon which is variously described as Dallas on the Moon or "Game of Domes." It lacks something that stops it from being quite perfect, but it's still really really really good. Like, 9/10 or 5 stars on Goodreads good. Do yourself a favour and check it out.

Something in particular about McDonald is that his prose style - his ability to string together an evocative, descriptive turn of phrase - is by far one of the best in sci-fi. He's actually a genuinely good writer, and could be one outside the sci-fi ghetto if he so chose. The only other exclusively sci-fi writer on that level I can think of is William Gibson.

Brilliant! I read half of the first one, went "I love this", and stopped reading it so I could read it when it was finished. I'm working on River of Gods now which is just as good. He really is insanely good.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Groke posted:

It's gonna be a trilogy now? Man, my to-read pile is never going to shrink... (first world problem, I know).

Yeah, which kind of annoyed me because I distinctly remember him saying it would be a two book series, and I only read the first book a month ago, and then this came out, and I thought "cool I can just do the whole thing fresh in my mind." Except now I'll have to wait two years for the next and it's not quiiiite good enough for all the characters and plot movements to stay fresh in my memory.

I feel like I can make the GOT comparison because McDonald himself does. And weirdly, he is an objectively better writer (in general) than GRRM, but GRRM specifically nails the "dynastic families" vibe way better than McDonald. I was constantly flicking towards the clan lists at the back of the book to check who was who, which I don't think is a good sign.

But overall they're very good books and he really nails fantastic, tense set pieces. Specifically the early part in book 1 where Rachel Mackenzie is assassinated by a hacked bot while trying to get her kid to sanctuary and the long sequence in the second half of book 2 where spoilt party boy Lucasinho has to try to get his little cousin to safety in the midst of an all-out lunar war, and has to think and act very carefully on their flight across the surface; one of those really good sci-fi combinations of character drama and cold, hard, calculated scientific logic. And also, in fact, the whole lunar war angle - where you see it from the point of view of various characters, none of whom can really tell what the gently caress is going on because all the comms are down and they're confused and isolated and frightened.

Also as an Australian I just generally love the fact that the evil family is Australian - particularly the Rupert Murdoch analogue - and the presence of Australians on the moon. ("Turn your comms on, you loving galah!") Although as with his earlier books like River of Gods, where I suspected he was just familiar enough by research with a country like India to fool other outsiders but never a native, the same is true here - no Western Australian would ever dream of naming their invented cocktail a 1788.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 22, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

freebooter posted:

Also as an Australian I just generally love the fact that the evil family is Australian - particularly the Rupert Murdoch analogue - and the presence of Australians on the moon. ("Turn your comms on, you loving galah!") Although as with his earlier books like River of Gods, where I suspected he was just familiar enough by research with a country like India to fool other outsiders but never a native, the same is true here - no Western Australian would ever dream of naming their invented cocktail a 1788.

As an American I have no idea what 1788's significance is, or why it would matter to a Western Australian (as opposed to an Eastern one?) - so, uh - would you mind explaining? I'm curious, and while wiki has helpfully explained that 1788 was the day Brits showed up there, I still don't see what the east vs west thing is.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

1788 is when Sydney and more broadly the east coast was settled, whereas Western Australia has a very long history of secessionism, especially (this is the kicker) from mining magnates with delusions of grandeur.

None of which is at all a criticism of McDonald, just an example of one of the small quirks that an outsider would never pick up on, and which doesn't really matter. Or to paraphrase Englishman Neil Gaiman, "I can't write a New York that would convince a New Yorker, but I can write one that will convince an American who's never been there."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

freebooter posted:

1788 is when Sydney and more broadly the east coast was settled, whereas Western Australia has a very long history of secessionism, especially (this is the kicker) from mining magnates with delusions of grandeur.

None of which is at all a criticism of McDonald, just an example of one of the small quirks that an outsider would never pick up on, and which doesn't really matter. Or to paraphrase Englishman Neil Gaiman, "I can't write a New York that would convince a New Yorker, but I can write one that will convince an American who's never been there."

Ohhhhhhh, okay. That's fascinating, thank you!

I imagine it would be fun to go over River of Gods with a native of those cities - see what they'd pick out. Still, it's impressive that he's captured the texture so well without being a native. I have to respect that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

freebooter posted:

\Or to paraphrase Englishman Neil Gaiman, "I can't write a New York that would convince a New Yorker, but I can write one that will convince an American who's never been there."

This is why I like the Rivers of London series so much. There are an essentially infinite number of fantasy novels set in London, but most of them are written for Americans; Aaronovitch writes for Londoners.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

As an American I have no idea what 1788's significance is, or why it would matter to a Western Australian (as opposed to an Eastern one?) - so, uh - would you mind explaining? I'm curious, and while wiki has helpfully explained that 1788 was the day Brits showed up there, I still don't see what the east vs west thing is.
Probably because gently caress the Eastern states. There's a fairly large culture difference between the Eastern and Western/Southern/Northern Australia. It's fairly similar to the US where the East Coast is faster paced and more self-centred and everywhere else is more laid-back and relaxed. Also most of the overall governmental policy favours the Eastern states, which is probably why we're constantly up poo poo creek without a paddle as a country.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

freebooter posted:

i do not think an australian in the time i have been alive would call someone a 'loving galah' ('loving [white] dog oval office' is the trash epithet i tend to hear the most).

Tornhelm posted:

Probably because gently caress the Eastern states. There's a fairly large culture difference between the Eastern and Western/Southern/Northern Australia. It's fairly similar to the US where the East Coast is faster paced and more self-centred and everywhere else is more laid-back and relaxed. Also most of the overall governmental policy favours the Eastern states, which is probably why we're constantly up poo poo creek without a paddle as a country.

i'm west australian and have spent a fair bit of time in victoria and think the cultures are remarkably indistinguishable. sure, melbourne has a lot more left wingers, but the culture and values are pretty homogeneous.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This is why I like the Rivers of London series so much. There are an essentially infinite number of fantasy novels set in London, but most of them are written for Americans; Aaronovitch writes for Londoners.

I think this is an enormously rich vein of analysis. Especially when it comes to London and New York, they're cities which everybody around the world grows up "knowing" without actually knowing. And in fact when you go there, even most of the Brits/American who live there aren't actually from London/New York, they're from Derbyshire or Nebraska or whatever. So they too are enchanted by the fable of the big city. I lived in London for a year and I think I met less than 10 native-born Londoners.

More broadly, I grew up in suburban Western Australia watching American and British TV and reading American and especially British books, since it was at the school library or the public library and all their books were outdated stuff from the 60s-80s. (Which doesn't matter in SFF, which is what I was reading.) And for all the talk in Australia about how our society is becoming "Americanised," if I look at my Goodreads stats now, I massively grew up reading British fiction. So I grew up with this idealised vision of a Brian Jacques, Wind in the Willows, John Wyndham, John Christopher, JRR Tolkien, West Country autumnal pubs cider blah blah blah bullshit. And then I actually went and lived there and it was all horribly modernist Ballardian zero-hour contracts and austerity and bleakness and David Cameron and weirdly authoritarian government bodies, and every English person I met saying "Oh, you're from Australia - why on earth would you move here?"

I've had half a bottle of wine tonight, that's my story. Narrative fiction gives us warped and weird views of places and makes us think we know them when we don't? I dunno! Read Ian McDonald's Luna books, they're good.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Neurosis posted:

i do not think an australian in the time i have been alive would call someone a 'loving galah' ('loving [white] dog oval office' is the trash epithet i tend to hear the most).

i'm west australian and have spent a fair bit of time in victoria and think the cultures are remarkably indistinguishable. sure, melbourne has a lot more left wingers, but the culture and values are pretty homogeneous.

I agree they are indistinguishable when you compare the difference to Alabama vs New York or Surrey vs Glasgow, but they're still there. I maintain an arrogant, narcissistic mining magnate from Western Australia would never name a cocktail a '1788'

Side note, re: "loving galah": I never used Australian slang and in fact in my teenage years I had a cultural cringe about it and would deliberately avoid it, but in my late 20s I use it a lot and genuinely can't tell whether that's hipster irony or just the fact that as an adult you interact with older people a lot more and it bleeds into your language

freebooter fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 22, 2017

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
5 Star rating system is fine, 2 stars for okay is fine. Both of them help prevent snarky rating bombing and how many books do you actually rate a 1 or 2 on Amazon? At least compared to the number of books you rate a 4 or 5.

The 10 star rating system always devolves into 7 is okay, 1-6 is awful to poor, 8 is good, 9 is great, 10 is amazing. So why not just merge 1-6 and be done with it?

The Glumslinger posted:

Same

Koburn posted:

Goodreads shouldn't be used without a custom adblock filter for gifs in reviews.

This makes such a huge difference.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yeah, as a Londoner Aaronovitch's series is one of the very, very few London-set fantasies I can tolerate.

I tried to talk an online friend out of writing a London-set fantasy trilogy and failed. Curse you Google Street View!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

freebooter posted:

I agree they are indistinguishable when you compare the difference to Alabama vs New York or Surrey vs Glasgow, but they're still there. I maintain an arrogant, narcissistic mining magnate from Western Australia would never name a cocktail a '1788'

Side note, re: "loving galah": I never used Australian slang and in fact in my teenage years I had a cultural cringe about it and would deliberately avoid it, but in my late 20s I use it a lot and genuinely can't tell whether that's hipster irony or just the fact that as an adult you interact with older people a lot more and it bleeds into your language

yeah i can agree there are some differences; i suppose my experience is that you'll find basically the same sets of sub-cultures (few in number) running through the various states, just the balance in any given city is distinctive. i contrast that with my understanding of the us where it seems like there are quite radical differences between the different regions.

as for the mining magnate thing, working in tax law, i can say that wa hits above its weight in terms of aggressive 'everything i make is the sweat of my own brow and i shouldn't have to give up any of it' clients so it sounds like the villains for luna are properly sourced.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The preferred term is 'flamin' galah'.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I've got a request though. I was wondering if anyone knows of any interesting fantasy and/or historical fantasy novels or series which are set in a pre-Iron Age setting?

It was said already, but Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon are great if you can find copies of them.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Poldarn posted:

It was said already, but Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon are great if you can find copies of them.

Stephen Baxter has done a few.

Xeelee sequence is very good hard sci-fi too.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Read Ian McDonald's Luna books, they're good.

I recently read The Falls: A Luna Story in The Year's Best Science Fiction 32nd Annual Collection, which was my first introduction to McDonald. I often bounce off hard SF, but McDonald still managed quite an impressive emotional punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Finished up City of Miracles. Good ending to the series, which overall I enjoyed a lot.

Anybody got thoughts on Dave Hutchinson's "Europe in Autumn" series? I saw a review on Strange Horizons a while back for the second book and thought it sounded interesting.