Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm following Mike's recommendation and watching something better than Alien Covenant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmUf21HLTg

Oooh, Tron is in it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

:prepop:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

:eyepop:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zmej posted:

wow, after learning about​ these prologue scenes I'm more ok with skipping this movie till I can see it on streaming. like what a hot mess.

yeah gonna be great when the blu ray comes out and people put the good scenes on youtube.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Chapter 1: Alien was a dope movie. No one ever made sequels

uh ALIENS??

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 22, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Francis Woodoohyde is the Red Krayt Dragon.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Next summer it's time to unravel the mysterious origin of the Thing monster, from The Thing, in the epic prequel to John Carpenter's horror masterpiece The Thing.
(Budget: eight-hundred million dollars.)

e: i just loving remembered they did this as welFUCK MOVIES

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I went to a talk with Werner Herzog last night. Dude is a legend but he's fairly out of touch with a lot of stuff.

He was asked if he was gonna watch the new Twin Peaks since he used to hang out with David Lynch.

He replied "I don't think David has even started shooting yet"

He's gonna poo poo himself if he turns on a TV... :unsmith:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol Alien Covenant must be some poo poo to make Mike praise loving Prometheus

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 22, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prometheus was way way worse imo. It STANK of rewrites and multiple screenwriters. Lindelof is really bad.
Covenant isn't good but apart from some naff dialogue it was a lot better than Prometheus.

Remember when the first Prometheus trailer came out and it looked incredible :qq:
I've never been so burned in my life.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

it's just a movie, nerd

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prometheus was way way worse imo. It STANK of rewrites and multiple screenwriters. Lindelof is really bad.
Covenant isn't good but apart from some naff dialogue it was a lot better than Prometheus.

Remember when the first Prometheus trailer came out and it looked incredible :qq:

Mike's appreciation of Prometheus seems to mostly be of the fact that at least at its core it tried to be something different than just another "Alien runs around in corridors and kill-rapes people"-movie. This is much less prominent with Alien: Covenant which also has a different premise at its core but is kind of invaded and ruined by this other movie.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 22, 2017

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is the naff dialogue when David convinces the captain to walk into his basement alone after the captain just witnessed him talking to the alien that murdered one of his crew?

The writing in Covenant managed to be dumber than Prometheus, which is better shot, has better effects, and actually manages to be horrifying at some points.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Francis Woodoohyde is the Red Krayt Dragon.

This is fantastic. Thank you.

edit: Removed the bravo smiley. It looked like I was being sarcastic and I'm not.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

But... we evolve into them. And if the black goo evolves into blue men, why is there our direct route, and then there's lobsters? Do the lobsters get bored one day and transition​ to mammals?

And if the peak of evolution is getting messed up by the black goo, why don't they have an immunity over 2+ billion years? Longer if the Earth blue man is from a cycle of the species even older and it's not the first go round seeding a planet.

And if the blue men are so smart why are they loving with the black goo if the midway point between a goo-blue man is humans, and goo-humans are xenomorphs, and they're afraid of xenomorphs because they're​ super-evolved species from one incremental change of a lesser species that is a proto-them but they made us and it before and do it again but they know it happens and they're not the perfect creature because the xenomorphs are but they're not and we're them but minus goo they're not xenomorphs which are us but goo added to the better lesser changed but evolved less more weaker better less species?

Lol if you watched prometheus. I live my entire life untroubled by any of this.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently the goo the Engineer drinks at the beginning of Prometheus is different from the black goo in the rest of the movie, according to the alien anthology wiki http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer.

I watched Prometheus again and Shaw definitely suspects something fishy about David near the end of the movie so I still think its weird she repaired him, especially since they left this body in the crashed ship.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Randarkman posted:

Mike's appreciation of Prometheus seems to mostly be of the fact that at least at its core it tried to be something different than just another "Alien runs around in corridors and kill-rapes people"-movie. This is much less prominent with Alien: Covenant which also has a different premise at its core but is kind of invaded and ruined by this other movie.

It broke new ground.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I slept through 75% of Prometheus

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

HoAssHo posted:

I slept through 75% of Prometheus

Same when I saw it the first time.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

a bone to pick posted:

Apparently the goo the Engineer drinks at the beginning of Prometheus is different from the black goo in the rest of the movie, according to the alien anthology wiki http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer.

I watched Prometheus again and Shaw definitely suspects something fishy about David near the end of the movie so I still think its weird she repaired him, especially since they left this body in the crashed ship.

They had to retcon her out of the movie for some reason

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

super sweet best pal posted:

The only reason Bigfoot vs D.B. Cooper is the low point of Terence Rotolo's career is because they got someone else to voice Frank West in Dead Rising 4.

I want to believe that the reason TJ Rotolo isn't in Dead Rising 4 is that the game's script was just too lovely. Too lovely for the man who had the titular role in Bigfoot vs D.B. Cooper.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

King Vidiot posted:

I want to believe that the reason TJ Rotolo isn't in Dead Rising 4 is that the game's script was just too lovely. Too lovely for the man who had the titular role in Bigfoot vs D.B. Cooper.

Nah it was a Canadian tax loophole thing, same reason they hired some other guy to play Jason in Freddy vs Jason instead of Kane Hodder.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I saw Alien Covenant during a matinee, with only one other person in the theatre sat way at the back.

After the I'll do the fingering line I laughed a little too loud and looked back to see if he thought it was as funny as I did. Didn't seem like it.

I need to get some loving friends.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don’t wanna go back to the bad cd thread about alien(s) since they seem blind to bad effects and bad retcons and seem to only like poo poo that makes people mad like some alt-right maga chuds supporting trump cuz he makes the libs cry so i’m gonna post this poo poo here for people interested in what went wrong with the flick.

the bad:

- the beginning it’s just too perfect that they get hit by a neutrino cloud or whatever within scanning distance of the engineer homeworld. i do like HOW they pick up the signal (all warbled in danny mcbridge’s helmet as he’s repairing the outside of the ship) and what the signal is because it’s tragic (it’s shaw singing john denver trying to get a signal out) but there had to be a better way to set up them getting there. i’m sure if i got paid a bunch of money to write the movie i could’ve whipped up something better

- the creature effects. man of man them creature effects. the backburster is nearly assembly cut alien 3 chestburster levels of bad. it kills someone and it doesn’t even look like they’re occupying the same space, it’s just superimposed over her. also it’s dumb because you’d be able to crush it with your bare hands it’s frail and tiny. There are a bunch of scenes where a practical effect would’ve worked much better but they used cgi. when i found out the budget this made a lot more sense. but it makes some (most) scenes less tense or interesting because it’s often so distracting. it’s weird because they focus far less on the other infected backburster guy but it’s more gross and effective how it gets out of him and doesn’t look phony as poo poo. i dunno who thought the alien pov shots would be a good idea but man were they wrong. the first chestbuster looks comically bad i couldn’t believe it made it into the release.

- the engineer homeworld. it’s just earth with a stone city on it. it should’ve looked like the darkworld from the hr giger designed 90s adventure game dark seed. lame as heck honestly. it did look cool as a necropolis tho.

- characters are undeveloped. especially billy crudup which could’ve covered some interesting ground.

- characters are dumb very dumb. the pilot blows up the lander shooting wildly at the tiny backburster. billy crudup gets infested with the first xenomorph because david leads him into a basement and tells him to take a look inside an egg after it opens up mind you this is after they know david is a psycho in league with the aliens. nobody thinks to question whether the android at the end is actually walter until the final character is being tucked away in cryosleep.

- the “twist” it’s really loving obvious the android at the end is david. they hosed up by making the cut at the end of their fight way too early, they should’ve done it with walter bringing the rock down to make it more ambiguous. it’s also thematically dumb to have david survive because they were setting it up as if he was blind to his imperfections (getting the ozymandius poet wrong and not realizing walter would kick his rear end being a newer model) which ties in with the space jockey and weyland-yutani in the other films being brought down by hubris. also harkens back to him saying humans and the engineers should be destroyed as failures and he gets his comeuppance to a more improved version of him, created by the supposed failed humans. i also just liked walter better.
having plot important scenes as youtube extras and not part of the movie

- david creates the xenomorph despite his being impossible based on ridley scott’s own movie from 40 years ago.

the good

- it doesn’t make any sense but the scene where david kills all the engineers looks cool as poo poo and also the necropolis afterwards is a great setting

- the shots you see of the xenomorph in the trailer (on the loading rig and in the shower) look good.

- there’s a shot of the xenomorph in the terraforming dock that is really creepy in theory where it stands upright but the effects kinda kill the vibe unfortunately.

- related, the design of the neomorph is pretty cool it has a shark-like quality to it but again the effects don’t do it justice.

- michael fassbender and most of his scenes. if he aint in the movie it’s just all trash i reckon. like heath ledger elevating dark knight all by hisself.

i’m in agreement with quantum of phallus that this movie is better than prometheus but it’s still one major rewrite from being a coherent or better movie. i’m gonna spitball here for a minute on how i’d improve it - have the lander be more heavily damaged upon the crash (or the storms more severe so it’d be impossible to leave) and have david kidnap the pilot when everyone goes explorin. he uses her to incubate a neomorph/xenomorph and that gets loose and starts attacking the group. david comes by with his flare gun as he does in the movie to offer them a safe place to stay. same poo poo with david and walter because those scenes were good, people get picked off by the neo/xenomorph between that (have the shower scene here not at the end of the goddamn movie). during this time billy crudup is coming to grips with the fact humans were created by these dead engineers and not by god and has some kind of crisis of faith because both his phony god and his true gods are dead i mean do something with him being a man of faith it’s not explored at all in the movie. anyway someone finds the pilot’s body and realizes it’s all david’s doing, they finally get through to the covenant and danny mcbride drops down and saves them. in this version, walter defeats david due to david’s hubris (see above) so there’s no lame twist. you get the alien stowing aboard and having to get blown out the airlock i’m cool with that. i can deal with the soft remake (more a remix of alien/aliens) if it’s good and makes sense.

feels like this shoulda been the third movie in the series (with the outcome for david in my above fanfic) with the second being shaw and david exploring a much more giger engineer homeworld. really the whole series should’ve been divorced from alien and just been about the engineers and david and creation and poo poo with no connection whatsoever and no xenomorph.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Zach Snyder dropped out of "Justice League" and is getting replaced by Joss Whedon.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

PostNouveau posted:

Zach Snyder dropped out of "Justice League" and is getting replaced by Joss Whedon.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

poo poo. I didn't see that family tragedy bit in the url.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

That's actually really sad. I mean, I know being Zack Snyder's daughter has to be tough, but suicide is never the answer

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's actually really sad. I mean, I know being Zack Snyder's daughter has to be tough, but suicide is never the answer

lol nice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah it totally sucks. Apparently the movie's in post-production anyway. Nice of Whedon to fill in last-minute.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Guy Goodbody posted:

:thurman:

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

:piaa:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Guy Goodbody posted:

*Swallows pills in super slow-mo while electronic cover of "Enjoy the Silence" plays in the background*

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Wow, that's sad as all hell.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Suicide Squad 2 lookin' good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FrensaGeran posted:

:drat:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Goons: "Kill the rich!!!"

*rich person suicides*

"Awww thats sad"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FrensaGeran posted:

lol this is an actually funny one

naem
May 29, 2011

JB50 posted:

Goons: "Kill the rich!!!"

*rich person suicides*

"Awww thats sad"

agreed

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually just recently watched Suicide Squad. Jay and Mike were way too easy on it, that movie is a piece of poo poo. And it's not just the editing, even though holy poo poo is the editing bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Margot Robie was alright in it. And that fire dude.

The rest of it ... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fire dude was the worst. The bigger I got on the streets, ese, the more my fire grew, ese. It's like the two were feeding each other, ese. *cut to his outraged wife dumping a bag with like, 8 thousand dollars and a couple baggies of coke on the table* When I married a man with a skull tattooed on his face, I never imagined it would bring this kinda poo poo into my house, ese!

He called the Squad his family at the end of the movie. Motherfucker, you met those dudes like 15 hours ago.

• Locked thread