Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The twist was dumb and tapping into Matrix zeitgeist at the time. I didn't play 1 or 2 but my friends who were fans of them were upset about it because they felt like it cheapened the setting they had long enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
SO2 also had a plot twist where the illuminati suddenly appear and blow up the medieval planet. Fighting the illuminati on another level than you was kind of SO's thing at that point.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And the first game had you doing time travel shenanigans up until the ending where they just go "hey you have experience fighting with medieval weapons now, here's this contrived scenario as to why you are the only ones to fight this random villain because we can't use laser weapons" and then the final dungeon has a laser sword in it that works just fine against them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would take any amount of dumb if the combat were fun but even SO5 felt like someone still thought it was 1997.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Still delegating what attacks you can use based on distance while Tales is giving me free reign to set up 20 different attacks at once.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

morallyobjected posted:

I've also searched for sources on this and have never found anything, so if you have one, please share it. otherwise I'm going to continue believing this is just another thing people made up because it sounded right and wanted something to blame the second half of the game they liked on.

Xenogears shipped a year before FFVIII. The Xenogears staff went on to help FFVIII with programming and art. In interviews, director Tetsuya Takahashi said that Xenogears suffered mainly due to his inexperience as a project lead. Furthermore, much of the development staff were new hires who were working on their first game and still figuring how to work as a team.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I would take any amount of dumb if the combat were fun but even SO5 felt like someone still thought it was 1997.

IIRC the Star Ocean team split off the original Tales dev team which is why their battle systems are so similar, I guess the Tales devs managed to move with the times a little better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dragonatrix posted:

Honestly, "the twist" isn't even that dumb. It's the entire baseline premise of things like .hack//, Log Horizon or SAO and somehow that's not a problem. :shrug:

those are very upfront about being an mmorpg and actually do stuff with it. in so3 its the equivalent of IT WAS ALL A DREAM or YOU WERE IN HELL, its just a thing that happens so they have someone to kill and dont have to explain why anything in the game occured

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah Tri-Ace is a splinter from Wolf Team.

Except Tri-Ace kept the experimentation in other games and left Star Ocean in the 90s. I mean they tried doing some stuff with 5 I guess but none of that really helped and in fact made new problems thanks to a slapdash budget.

People tell me Tales games have hard to follow battles because 4 party members throwing out glowing pyrotechnics at however many different enemies, but it seemed a lot worse in SO5 where you have 8 people running around with a janky camera.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kelp Me! posted:

forward and back and then forward and back

and then go forward and back then put one foot forward

forward and back and then forward and back

and then

go forward and back then put one foot forward

All this is to say

ImpAtom posted:

It's good.

Mega64 posted:

4 is the one where the protagonist is named Edge Maverick despite neither having any edge nor being a maverick in any way.

Banal McWorkerBee

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

All this is to say

Banal McWorkerBee

Oh I agree I wasn't posting that to make fun of it I was posting because I can't loving get it out of my head

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

this is at a doomsday preppers convention btw

e: that black Master Sword is legit tho

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Tae posted:

Remake doesn't just mean full blown triple a production. Alpha sapphire pokemon is a remake, fire emblem echoes is a remake, tactics ogre was a remake. You can still have a small scale modern improvement on ff9 without making it controversial.

All of those examples are old content being put in new engines that were made for subsequent games. PS1 FF games have no real analog in newer FF games because the structure of the games changed. For example, 9 was the last one to have an overworld map.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kelp Me! posted:

Oh I agree I wasn't posting that to make fun of it I was posting because I can't loving get it out of my head

It's making me want to go kill godangels again

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's making me want to go kill godangels again

If I could change BGMs like in FFXI I probably would have my anima weapon done by now. Grinding A1S would be much more pleasant if I could like, rotate all the Alex music around.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dross posted:

All of those examples are old content being put in new engines that were made for subsequent games. PS1 FF games have no real analog in newer FF games because the structure of the games changed. For example, 9 was the last one to have an overworld map.

Post FF9 FFs (and other JRPGs) straying from world maps is more likely a stylistic decision or scheduling/pipeline issue, and probably not a technical issue from anything with the engines. There have been some RPGs after FF9 that still used overworlds. The only thing stopping anyone from using overworlds in a potential FF9 remake are the developers's own wishes.

It's not like Square making FF15 made them not use an overworld map for the DQ7 remake, for example. Tae's point is that you could do a relatively cheaper remake like that to keep everything.

And there are still examples of remakes that aren't primarily following some recently new engine. To name a few: Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, FE Shadow Dragon, I'm prrreeety sure the FF1+2 psp remakes (unsure on this one but it certainly looks like it?), the 3DS remakes of OoT + SF64.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mega64 posted:

4 is the one where the protagonist is named Edge Maverick despite neither having any edge nor being a maverick in any way.

Edge Maverick was the hardest boss in Mega Man X.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kelp Me! posted:

this is at a doomsday preppers convention btw

e: that black Master Sword is legit tho

what were you doing at a doomsday preppers convention

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I wish I had a cool answer but sadly it's from a Gizmodo article http://gizmodo.com/the-survivors-of-the-coming-apocalypse-just-wanna-have-1795025610

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I finally finished Lightning Returns. I like that game's systems and think it's the most competent in the trilogy, but I'm really glad to be finally done with it. I don't think I'll return to it anytime soon. Just a game I finally wanted to finish before Zodiac Age graces my heart. The ending was pretty wild though

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

As many fond memories as I have of SO2, Star Ocean is just kind of a low quality series overall. None of them are actually very good

Star Ocean 2 was pretty excellent for its time. The writing is desert-level dry, but it's got fun combat, a great soundtrack, and a hell of a lot to do. If you like 90s RPGs... and that's really why we're all here... give it a shot.

Meridian posted:

Can we still post cool remixes and arrangements? Meant to post this one back when you guys were still talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Cqvaqj0Ls

Remix chat never says die. In the same vein...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJi5QSxJbw

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Get hosed cleric stance and accuracy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Probably buying egoist armlets.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

Get hosed cleric stance and accuracy.

Healers still won't dps because "it's not their job".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFXIV Red Mage looks amazing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

man that dude is so round and smooth I feel like this picture is triggering my paternal instincts, I want to track this guy down and shake my keys at him to make him laugh

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kelp Me! posted:

man that dude is so round and smooth I feel like this picture is triggering my paternal instincts, I want to track this guy down and shake my keys at him to make him laugh

for a second i thought you were gonna say "i want to track this guy down and shake him" and i was gonna be like ":same:"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

for a second i thought you were gonna say "i want to track this guy down and shake him" and i was gonna be like ":same:"

:stare:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Same

Those are poo poo paternal instincts tho :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Going through FFX and I get to blitzball

I do not understand how the gently caress to play blitzball. I read the instructions and it says "great wonderful, do breaks and pass to other players and poo poo"

Then the other team gets the ball and the ai plays keep away the entire loving match. How the gently caress?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I do not understand how the gently caress to play blitzball. I read the instructions and it says "great wonderful, do breaks and pass to other players and poo poo"

Then the other team gets the ball and the ai plays keep away the entire loving match. How the gently caress?

It's basically like RPG battles, you want to do 'attacks' that beat enemy stats while passing to whoever can do what you need at the time

(Alternately: Score one goal and then hide behind your net for the entire game.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This is because your first match is against the most powerful low-level team in the game, with the worst players in the entire game on yours. There's simply nothing you can do short of win with dumb luck.

Real Blitzball will see you hiring players who don't have the most abysmal Speed stats in the game so you can actually catch the AI playing keep away, not poo poo Tackle and Block stats so you can steal or intercept it, and at least respectable Pass stats so you can move the ball as intended.

addendum: i lie, keepa actually has the best Shot stat in the game at level 99, but this is severely marred by the fact that his moveset is worthless and his other stats, middling

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 22, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The way to play blitzball is to use Tidus to score a single point, then grab the ball and take it behind your own goalpost to glitch out the AI.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I know I'll never replay FFX because fffffffffuck having to do all that mandatory blitzball bullshit again

Also that awful endless tedious sequence where whoever who cares attacks the spiral eyes dudes' homebase

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's only one mandatory Blitzball match in the game and it's doesn't matter if you win or lose

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah it's like 10 minutes

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Wakka's ultimate weapon and the best overdrive in the game both depend on a fair bit of extracurricular blitzball though.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

you can lose the blitzball match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Blitzball, lightning dodging and chocobo racing... man, FFX made you do some real poo poo to get the best weapons.

I'd almost rather catch frogs.