Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

marshmallow creep posted:

Celica gets the Rion and Fugue shields, and can give the Fugue shield to the correct guy, but the Rion guy was in Zofia castle. Do I have to know in advance this happens so I can send the Rion to Alm through the Peddler or is there another way to get the Rion shield to its guy?

Also, I think I had a glitch in some quest giver. I went to the Sylvan shrine and cleared it, and a woman in the forest village thanked me, then started asking if i'd saved her husband. I don't remember rescuing anyone at this point, though maybe I did? Just a bug causing a looped quest prompt, or may I have missed something?

That husband quest isn't done yet. You have to go to a dungeon later on.

You get like 4 peddlers per character, don't worry about that shield quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Celica gets the Rion and Fugue shields, and can give the Fugue shield to the correct guy, but the Rion guy was in Zofia castle. Do I have to know in advance this happens so I can send the Rion to Alm through the Peddler or is there another way to get the Rion shield to its guy?

Worst case scenario, the two parties merge in the postgame

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cheetah7071 posted:

The only time in the game that backtracking is cut off is that Celica can't explore the act 1 areas after you finish act 2. Just keep playing and come back to the guy when you get your third.

Thanks. That initial cutoff, plus going back to towns at the start chapter four and finding them empty except for quests I hadn't finished yet, had me on edge.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Oh Alm your ragtag army is so much shittier than Celica's spellcaster/Pegasus knight/myrmidon murder squad.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

I don't know about in advance, but yeah the peddler is the only way before endgame. You get more uses in a bit if you used the chapter 3 one on Celica's side, though.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought I had a good Clair, then the Whitewings joined

Celica gets all the good units

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just got Mathilda and ouch, Clive, your girlfriend has much better stats than you! Aside from HP and Def, she's either ahead of him or equal.

Stand back, buddy, let the lady handle things.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver Falcon posted:

I just got Mathilda and ouch, Clive, your girlfriend has much better stats than you! Aside from HP and Def, she's either ahead of him or equal.

Stand back, buddy, let the lady handle things.

She also has better growths in everything but HP. By a significant amount across the board.

Clive is kinda a chump

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Who am I supposed to give the ladyblade between both parties. Seems kinda bad in practice since I don't want any of my spellcasters up close.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
I can't pick up the cat I examined in port, this game is ruined for me

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I respect Clive.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Mae for murderyest waifu.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Big Whoop posted:

Mae for murderyest waifu.

Sonya, Celica and Mathilda give her some competition but goddamn Mae is a murderbot from the word go.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Celica has a 44 mt spell

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, having played most of the game, I really dislike the 'everyone deploys' thing because most maps have so few enemies. And it just turns into a congested clusterfuck in the boats, deserts and most of the castle chapters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that isn't really the fault of the everyone deploys thing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

that isn't really the fault of the everyone deploys thing

I mean managing 16 units on small maps with few enemies sucks. And it would be a really easy thing to change design-wise since otherwise you're overhauling almost the entirety of map and encounter design in the game to have larger and more varied maps, fewer but more meaningful random encounters etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think id want them to change it. changing the number of units deployed would just make half the cast worthless and make the entire game feel even emptier.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like the everyone deploys thing because it's forcing me to find niches for units who are underperforming or outclassed and it's actually pretty fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

All-Deploy is the only reason why I still have Knights, because they're really bad as the game goes on, outside of Forscythe because he has freakishly decent speed.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Is the peddler in the same location in all parts? I need a bow sent to one party

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah a lot of these maps are not friends to knights. Why do they insist on not giving them any move? They already have low speed. Let them move up front to do their job!

Did Dead Man's Mire for the first time. c
Celica's maps really like to pile on the -move tiles.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Maps could be the friendliest maps in the world, but so many maps in the 2nd half are just sniping Mire arcanists and witches that Barons just instantly melt except for one that has a hex shield. At that point in the game, Dreadfighters are your "tanks" if you ever bother taking defensive damage that's not your invokes.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Pastrymancy posted:

Is the peddler in the same location in all parts? I need a bow sent to one party

You get one use per peddler and the transfer is instantaneous; you don't need to pick it up or anything.

Tae posted:

The Maps could be the friendliest maps in the world, but so many maps in the 2nd half are just sniping Mire arcanists and witches that Barons just instantly melt except for one that has a hex shield. At that point in the game, Dreadfighters are your "tanks" if you ever bother taking defensive damage that's not your invokes.

Yeah I feel like a lot of the back half of the game just ends up turning into elaborate sniping missions, followed by cleanup.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Least it works both ways, as my Leon one shot the boss of Celica's third act. Put that in your gargoyle's belly, punk!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I still find use for Knights in delaying pushes from physical units or summoned terrors so the rest of the army could deal with more important things. They don't deal any damage but they don't take any either so they do a fine job at keeping enemies at bay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They also seem weirdly high on the attack priority. I think the ai focuses on stuff it can more reliably hit than what big ticket damage it could do? I have had situations where I was trying to feed a kill to a low def target and the monster went after Valbar or Lukas instead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The amount of dick moves in this game is absurd, it makes Conquest Lunatic a breeze in the park. Why are these eyeballs so fast that they literally double everyone, including my fastest dreadfighters? And hit hard? And multiply?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad Mizar is still getting work.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

I really, really like the job Mae's voice actress is doing. She's got a lot of personality.

"I'm at TOP of my game!"

Well, Mae is the same actress who did Makoto in Persona 5, so big surprise she's super good. Especially now that she has an actual script to work with.

Actually there's a number of P5 folks on this. Gray is Ryuji, Celica is Futaba (!), Tobin is Akechi, Genny is Hifumi, Morgana is Tatiana...

Anyway I'm going to be That Nerd and ask That Question: so there really is no reason to not wait on promotion at all? You won't get ~extra stats~ for leveling some? I should just blast these here villagers to proper classes now that I've beaten up some dorks in this shrine?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, Mae is the same actress who did Makoto in Persona 5, so big surprise she's super good. Especially now that she has an actual script to work with.

Actually there's a number of P5 folks on this. Gray is Ryuji, Celica is Futaba (!), Tobin is Akechi, Genny is Hifumi, Morgana is Tatiana...

Anyway I'm going to be That Nerd and ask That Question: so there really is no reason to not wait on promotion at all? You won't get ~extra stats~ for leveling some? I should just blast these here villagers to proper classes now that I've beaten up some dorks in this shrine?

I mean you will get extra stats from levelling probably. But promotion gains are only up to a class base, so villagers with 5 speed or 7 speed promoting to Mercenary always get to 10 speed.

And the game isn't near long enough to max people without grinding a fuckton so just promote everyone ASAP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

The cast is closer to Nier, because Alm is 9S and this is an 8-4 joint like Nier.

The reasons to wait on promotion is basically if you like grinding and you have some characters that have absurdly high growth that they will out-stat other characters without promoting I.E. Mathilda, Delthea, Sonya, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also exp gain seems to be balanced such that a level 1 mercenary iwll level faster than a level 8 villager, for instance

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, if your dudes are at the promotion base stats there is no reason to promote them until max level except for exp gains. I've had a few people who have gained literally nothing from promoting so far which, uh, kinda sucks

Though at least all tier 3 classes have perks or increased movement. Like Barons take half damage from arrows, dread fighters shrug off mag with +res, Priestesses get sword access and healing, Sages get +10 magic accuracy and healing, cleric evo gets a 5 aoe heal around them every turn, archers get a horse, falcon knights get +10 might vs. Monsters.

Uh... what do Gold Knights get? I forgot.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 23, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

The cast is closer to Nier, because Alm is 9S and this is an 8-4 joint like Nier.

The reasons to wait on promotion is basically if you like grinding and you have some characters that have absurdly high growth that they will out-stat other characters without promoting I.E. Mathilda, Delthea, Sonya, etc.

And Mae has the same VA as A2, if we're getting specific.

Which explains why Mae is so good at killing Alm in heroes

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Having two clerics made my lizard brain somewhat angry but already having that much extra healing is making hard mode more manageable. Doesn't hurt that clerics are able to attack too, even if it's inaccurate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Seraphim is one of the most accurate spells in the entire game. And Faye+Silque basically breaks the game for Alm's side.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Uh... what do Gold Knights get? I forgot.

+1 move and uh well Clive gained a bunch of stats but that's cause he kinda isn't any good

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Subvisual Haze posted:

Oh Alm your ragtag army is so much shittier than Celica's spellcaster/Pegasus knight/myrmidon murder squad.

Seriously. Which one is actually fighting a war? I wonder sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
So, I just learned that you can fail to get Atlas. He seems to not appear if you do the desert part of chapter 3 before visiting his location in the town. Looks like Celica's army will be one unit short. Oh well, from what I can tell he's not that good anyway compared to the rest of her squad.

I learned this the hard way, when I visited the town, but forgot to hit that one location before going to bed, and forgot that I missed a spot when I started again. But not worth restarting the game and redoing all of the game so far over again.

• Locked thread