Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

whalestory posted:

So is cocktail damage physical or spell damage? I'm having trouble keeping track of what counts as physical and spell. Is there a good rule of thumb to figuring that poo poo out...

If it's an ability, it does spell damage. If it's a basic attack, it does physical damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Physical is when you right click on someone. Everything else is spell. There are a few niche cases like giant killer is neither but you probably don't need to worry about it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
That applies to all abilities by the way. Even stuff like Sonya's Slam which is just Hit Really Hard, that's a spell damage.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
That's fuuuuuucked up

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

whalestory posted:

That's fuuuuuucked up

I'm pretty sure it's like that in almost all MOBA games. I'm not really sure why, just part of the attacks vs abilities design philosophies from ancient history in game development times.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

league started abilities that don't do "ability damage," Smite does it a lot but who gives a poo poo about hirez games

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Libertine posted:

I'm pretty sure it's like that in almost all MOBA games. I'm not really sure why, just part of the attacks vs abilities design philosophies from ancient history in game development times.

Dota and League both have a mix of magic/physical damage, with almost all basic attacks doing a baseline of physical damage, but there are plenty of "caster" characters that deal all physical damage in league especially. That's in addition to having "pure" damage which is irreduceable and bypasses all damage reduction effects.

It's probably easier to keep track of in HOTS because "it's an ability -> spell/purple damage, it's an autoattack -> physical/orange damage" is a lot more straightforward of a rule than having to memorize each character's damage types so you know how to build against them.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

league started abilities that don't do "ability damage," Smite does it a lot but who gives a poo poo about hirez games

Yeah it was because they ran into a lot of balance problems when people discovered hilarious builds that took advantage of questionable design decisions on the various types of scaling.

Probably won't ever be an issue in HOTS because of no items.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Libertine posted:

Noooope. League, Smite, and DotA all have different types of damages for abilities. DotA has a ridiculous number, IIRC. Physical, Composite, Magical, Pure, and probably some I have since forgotten.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I didn't realize dota did because it doesn't have proper ability scaling.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I didn't realize dota did because it doesn't have proper ability scaling.

It does now. Intelligence now gives mana, mana regen, and spell damage.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
does anyone else miss chaos damage?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

It does now. Intelligence now gives mana, mana regen, and spell damage.

Hot drat they finally did it, the maniacs. Maybe in three more years they'll give bonercum king a second button again

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I'm completely brand new to this game and the genre, but played anyway for the Overwatch skins. I got what I wanted out of the promotion but I don't want to leave the game without feeling at least a little competent in it. I'm a fan of bugs and Zerg so I've been playing Zagara /Anub to what feels like poor performance. I'm obviously doing something wrong but are there any other play tips that would help beyond the OP? I know to go for objectives and soak xp and such but most of the time it feels difficult to contribute anything.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Hot drat they finally did it, the maniacs. Maybe in three more years they'll give bonercum king a second button again

If they ever give the bonerlord (may he rest in peace) a second button then the game will be truly dead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So I'm completely brand new to this game and the genre, but played anyway for the Overwatch skins. I got what I wanted out of the promotion but I don't want to leave the game without feeling at least a little competent in it. I'm a fan of bugs and Zerg so I've been playing Zagara /Anub to what feels like poor performance. I'm obviously doing something wrong but are there any other play tips that would help beyond the OP? I know to go for objectives and soak xp and such but most of the time it feels difficult to contribute anything.

A lot of being effective comes from knowing when to use your abilities and when to conserve them, as well as knowing when to engage and who to pick off. This comes mostly from experience, but you get more experience faster if you're mindful about what you're doing and why.

I don't play Zagara, but Anub'arak you want to be looking for enemies that are out of position, and in a position such that your allies can follow up on you when the Impale or Burrow Charge hits. It's sometimes better to stun the one hero that's out of position and will die instantly than it is to stun three enemies. You want to be thinking "If I was on the enemy team, what is the most dangerous thing Anub'arak could do right now?"

Cocoon's a great example of the above. You don't always want to cocoon the most dangerous person on the enemy team, because generally the rest of the team will go "Oh poo poo, we should save our #1 damage" and break the cocoon early. Sometimes it's better to cocoon someone who isn't contributing as much or is further away from the fight, because you then give your team a full hero advantage in the fight, and the Zul'jin probably won't turn and spend four seconds breaking the cocoon -- especially not when Anub'arak stunned Zul'jin for 1.5 seconds straight.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Look at your minimap

Being alive is better than being dead

Do the objective unless the other team is ten and you aren't

Just because it's on cool down doesn't mean you have to use it right away. When you use abilities is more important than just using them asap

Look at your minimap

You can only improve yourself. Don't rage because others are doing the wrong thing in your mind.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It's usually better to dog pile the enemy going into the team then to split up and try to dive their ranged guys.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Noooope. League, Smite, and DotA all have different types of damages for abilities. DotA has a ridiculous number, IIRC. Physical, Composite, Magical, Pure, and probably some I have since forgotten.
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Damage_types

The removed Composite a while back. Mainly because it was confusing as gently caress. There was "Universal" damage as well way back in the day.

There is also a ton of rules that deal spell immunity and damage amp that is a whole rats nest unto itself.

Luminous Cow posted:

Look at your minimap

Being alive is better than being dead

Do the objective unless the other team is ten and you aren't

Just because it's on cool down doesn't mean you have to use it right away. When you use abilities is more important than just using them asap

Look at your minimap

You can only improve yourself. Don't rage because others are doing the wrong thing in your mind.

Also: COMMUNICATE.

Tell people what you are doing and what you would like them to do.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

That applies to all abilities by the way. Even stuff like Sonya's Slam which is just Hit Really Hard, that's a spell damage.

* Abilities that reset your basic attacks instead do not count (Looking at you, Artanis)

Which makes triple strike artanis hilarious against a suspersition nazeebo

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

When playing as Anub'Arak don't burrow into a fight unless you have utmost confidence that you'll get a kill/objective as a result. Usually it's best to start fighting, and save your burrow so you can make a quick getaway when your health gets low. This is coming from someone who has used him a whole bunch.

Fake edit: Also you can actually benefit from fighting in the middle of a group of enemy minions because your locus swarm ult hits each of them and heals you.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Are there any good up to date resources that speak to team comp?

I have a decent familiarity with 10% of the roster... Anything beyond that I have no real idea how to counterpick or really even pick my own character. If I got dropped into a team of four and I had to pick last, I'd have no idea what to do. I've been doing QM trying to get a better idea of how some more heroes work but a lot of QM play seems really suboptimal so I don't know if I'm just learning bad habits or what.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Fumaofthelake posted:

I have a decent familiarity with 10% of the roster...

Well, first off, fix that. If you don't know who the dudes in the game are and how they work, then you're not really going to be able to form a coherent understanding of composition around them.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Can Stitches use his friendly hook on an exploding mech?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You can toggle his lifesteal aura!!!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Can Stitches use his friendly hook on an exploding mech?

I believe he can. I know he can Gorge enemy mechs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If it explodes inside of him does it make his stomach expand before he goes ATSA SPICY MEATABALL!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fumaofthelake posted:

I have a decent familiarity with 10% of the roster... Anything beyond that I have no real idea how to counterpick or really even pick my own character. If I got dropped into a team of four and I had to pick last, I'd have no idea what to do. I've been doing QM trying to get a better idea of how some more heroes work but a lot of QM play seems really suboptimal so I don't know if I'm just learning bad habits or what.

Best QM recommendation in a vacuum:

1. Tank w/CC
  2. Healer w/CC
  3. Lane Pusher
  4. Lane Bully who is good in a Teamfight
  5. Someone who can do work between lanes (Samuo/Valeera/Butcher/Kerrrigan/Xul)

So, like my default 5-man looks something like: Anub'arak/Uther/Nazeebo/Zagara/Butcher.

You can also get away with some ~creative use of game mechanics~ to swap in a Tyrande for your healer and a Varian for your tank and hope for matchmaking to deliver you free wins.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

What's the difference between a bully and a pusher? Bully and tank?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Looke posted:

You can toggle his lifesteal aura!!!

:frogsiren:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fumaofthelake posted:

Pusher = someone who can put perssure on the lane itself by quickly aoeing creep waves or creating pushing summons.

Bully = someone who puts pressure on your lane opponent, usually with a lot of poke damage.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Murky is what's known as a Lane Demon

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
el pescado demonio

Fumaofthelake posted:

Bully: someone who can place pressure on a lane, dispatching enemy minion waves and disallowing the other team much time to stay in the no man's land between towers. Zagara is a lane bully. Thanks to its skillset and abilities, it can usually overwhelm a lane 1v1 and force the opposing hero to play defensively.

Pusher: someone with the capability to 'push' down the enemy lane, usually by wont of a superior PVE ability. Sgt. Hammer and Sylvanas are pushers, in that they can either attack the enemy towers from range or temporarily render enemy towers / minions stunned.

Tank: someone who dies in the beginning of a team fight gg leoric sucked someone with a great deal of health or self-sustaining ability able to soak up damage and disrupt the enemy team while your team capitalizes on the crowd control abilities you (should) have to win a team fight. Johanna is a tank thanks to her AoE stun, slow, and blind, as well as her trait.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

never played this (or really any mobas) before but i decided to check it out after someone posted about the free characters in the steam thread. i picked the flex pack and then got thrall from my first box. are any of these heroes particularly good to start with? the guy that has symbiotes seems cool but complicated.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Awesome! posted:

never played this (or really any mobas) before but i decided to check it out after someone posted about the free characters in the steam thread. i picked the flex pack and then got thrall from my first box. are any of these heroes particularly good to start with? the guy that has symbiotes seems cool but complicated.

As someone else who picked this up over the weekend with no experience, from the Flex bundle, Li Li and Johanna are both good and straightforward.

Also if you haven't hit level 5 yet use my recruit a friend code to get Raynor for free, and a stimpack.

https://battle.net/recruit/J7WFMTLSH6

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Fumaofthelake posted:

The standard team composition in ranked right now is either double tank or double support, two damage dealers, and a solo of whatever you didn't double up on. This is a generalization of course, but as long as you can fill in for the role you're missing as the last pick you'll probably be fine. It's almost always more advantageous to have people pick based on what they are familiar with and enjoy playing than it is to have them pick based on what would perform better in a theoretical vacuum.

Counterpicking, and perhaps more importantly not picking into a bad matchup, is something that comes with experience and knowledge of hero skills and strengths. Obvious stuff like not picking Anub into a team with little/no spell damage or Butcher into Cassia you can learn just by looking at talents and base stats. However, knowing how well you might perform against a specific team composition is harder to assess and is best learned though playing the game. QM is fine for doing this as long as you are able to recognize and be honest about your mistakes and provide an answer for what you could have done better in any situation, good or bad.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 23, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bogart posted:

el pescado demonio

Bully: someone who can place pressure on a lane, dispatching enemy minion waves and disallowing the other team much time to stay in the no man's land between towers. Zagara is a lane bully. Thanks to its skillset and abilities, it can usually overwhelm a lane 1v1 and force the opposing hero to play defensively.

Pusher: someone with the capability to 'push' down the enemy lane, usually by wont of a superior PVE ability. Sgt. Hammer and Sylvanas are pushers, in that they can either attack the enemy towers from range or temporarily render enemy towers / minions stunned.

Tank: someone who dies in the beginning of a team fight gg leoric sucked someone with a great deal of health or self-sustaining ability able to soak up damage and disrupt the enemy team while your team capitalizes on the crowd control abilities you (should) have to win a team fight. Johanna is a tank thanks to her AoE stun, slow, and blind, as well as her trait.

Zagara is both a bully AND a pusher.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just fought the most obnoxious comp, in Braxis Holdout (the worst map in the game). They had an Anub'arak, Jaina, Arthas, Chromi and Valeera. So many stuns and slows, we couldn't do poo poo to them. Holy moly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Braxis cannot be the worst map as long as Garden Terror and Blackheart's Bay exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

chumbler posted:

Braxis cannot be the worst map as long as Garden Terror and Blackheart's Bay exist.

I'd do those a million times over doing Braxis Holdout ever again (well and also I like those maps)