Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Goons will never cease to amaze me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The one who loved eating cheesy broccoli and poo poo for lunch and didn't understand why he was dutch ovening his co-workers, then discovered he was lactose intolerant, then decided to just keep on eating massive amounts of cheese because he reasoned he had a medical condition so they couldn't complain

I want to say that ended up being a fakepost though

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

RentACop posted:

The one who loved eating cheesy broccoli and poo poo for lunch and didn't understand why he was dutch ovening his co-workers, then discovered he was lactose intolerant, then decided to just keep on eating massive amounts of cheese because he reasoned he had a medical condition so they couldn't complain

I want to say that ended up being a fakepost though
It certainly seemed not to be a fakepost since he posted pictures of all the cheeses in his fridge, they were numerous. I don't know if reverse image search was around back then but it seemed legit. He was literally threatened with being fired over farting and concluded that, because it was medical, the union won't let them do anything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It certainly seemed not to be a fakepost since he posted pictures of all the cheeses in his fridge, they were numerous. I don't know if reverse image search was around back then but it seemed legit. He was literally threatened with being fired over farting and concluded that, because it was medical, the union won't let them do anything.

All it takes is a quorum to form in the union hall while this guy is blasting rear end while stating his case for his union brothers to unanimously vote not to arbitrate.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In what universe will $1 buy you a 31 pound bag of dog food though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's more than a $1 for the 31 pound dog food, but the 31 pound dog food works out to $1 for 2,000 calories of dog food.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you buy a farm your produce will work out to be a shitton per dollar also.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i cant believe the shitposter who wrote ''ironic'' fart fetish posts got banned for being a nut

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Lots/most cheeses have almost no lactose, so lactose-intolerant people can eat them without a problem.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I wasn't trying to say it wasn't still gross, just that I ruined it for myself by making it more gross and then supposedly it wasn't as gross as I made it.

Kelp Me! posted:

I agree that finding love on the Chris-chan forums is worse than 3rd-degree hot cheese burns over your entire naked body

I know which one I would feel less ashamed about

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I know which one I would feel less ashamed about

whoflungpoop posted:

My grandparents had a trunk full of the letters they exchanged while my grandfather was fighting in north africa and sicily in WWII.

My grandma wrote him about how my aunt had started walking and later the first words she spoke, about how she was working as a seamstress to bring in extra money, about the trades she made with various neighbors to make the rations go further, about how his mother was doing. My grandpa wrote her asking for more pictures of my aunt, about some of the guys in his unit, how the british officers at the camp they traveled to actually had a kitchen and hot food and how he had eaten roast and potatoes on a real plate with real silverware at a real table and how happy it made him to have a real meal after so many months of rations, about how much he missed her.

The letters to him were partially waterlogged and torn from being carried around two continents; the letters to her sometimes had parts literally cut out where he might have mentioned a location or something else the army censor wanted removed. They're amazing and they make me so proud of my grandparents, of the hardships they endured and the love and partnership they maintained across half a war-torn planet.

Your grandchildren will find a thumb drive full of forums posts of their grandparents insulting a retarded man.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I meant the hot cheese pizza burns, if it wasn't clear

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Not only was that a good burn, it was also a nice story. :3:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Literal nightmares over the concept of carbs will always be too surreal for me.

I sympathize, as weird at it is. I chose to quit drinking a year ago, and I still get occasional bad dreams about accidentally taking a sip.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Yes sweet goon, carbs::your alcoholism. A good analogy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

big trivia FAIL posted:

Yes sweet goon, carbs::your alcoholism. A good analogy

Beer is just liquid bread, so it works! :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I quit drinking last night. Not for any health reasons, but just because I needed to go to bed.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:rimshot:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This isn't the situation, though. Read a forums, please.

Orthodox Jews consider operating an electrical switch as akin to lighting a fire, which is forbidden on the Sabbath and other holidays. This includes pressing buttons on an elevator.

The solution to the problem of an Orthodox Jew living up twenty flights of stairs and unable or unwilling to climb up and down on the Sabbath is to have a Sabbath Elevator: at least one elevator will just go down and up, stopping at each floor, so one can just hitch a ride without directly causing the process to start or stop.

Thats hilarious

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

got any sevens posted:

Thats hilarious

Is it though? IMO it's actually one of the more logical customs. It's almost like the physics definition of work: they can't do anything that intentionally causes electricity to run or whatever. An elevator stopping on each floor is work being done by someone else.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kelp Me! posted:

Is it though? IMO it's actually one of the more logical customs.
It's such dumb rules lawyering that it betrays the intention of the law in the first place.

Though, to be honest, that whole spark of electricity = fire = work/creation is a whole dumb argument too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

It's such dumb rules lawyering that it betrays the intention of the law in the first place.

Though, to be honest, that whole spark of electricity = fire = work/creation is a whole dumb argument too.

Arguing the tiniest minutiae of every single law in the books until the original intent is all but lost is like the oldest tradition of Judaism I dunno what you're talking about :v:

i actually think the spark/electricity/fire/work thing makes sense, both from the pure physics standpoint I mentioned, but also because those are modernizations of activities that did actually require more traditional values of "work" to be done. Honestly IMO it's a nice reminder how Judaism is really good at interpreting its laws through a modern lens, even if the end result isn't always the most rational/logical thing in the world.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It's just a way of adapting to the times.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Having an elevator stop on every floor just for this situation is absolutely intentional and is creating more electricity use than if the elevator was used in a normal fashion.
Also wtf worrying about a god that could be fooled by these kinds of loopholes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Scudworth posted:

Having an elevator stop on every floor just for this situation is absolutely intentional and is creating more electricity use than if the elevator was used in a normal fashion.
Also wtf worrying about a god that could be fooled by these kinds of loopholes.

I've wondered this for so long. My wife used to work for an orthodox Jewish guy, and he'd do the whole 'can't use electricity himself' when observing. They had a maid. He would literally be in his living room, and because he couldn't ask directly (I guess this was an extension of this 'rule'?) he'd loudly state "Wow, it certainly is DARK in here" if he wanted the lights on so his maid would do it, or "I wonder how the game is going?" if he wanted his maid to turn on the tv to the baseball game.

I find it really, really tough not to find the whole thing pretty loving stupid, but this feeling also extends to pretty much all other nonsensical religious 'rules'.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The idea is to not exert your mastery on the world to meditate on the fact that it is God's world and not man's, or something. So waiting longer for the autovator isn't too off base.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The idea is to not exert your mastery on the world to meditate on the fact that it is God's world and not man's, or something. So waiting longer for the autovator isn't too off base.

Oh, I know, but it's when these loopholes show up, I think 'why the gently caress do you even bother, then?'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, I know, but it's when these loopholes show up, I think 'why the gently caress do you even bother, then?'

I remember reading once that Judaism is basically Contract Negotiation: The Religion so it seems fitting.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jews believe God respects clever rules lawyering.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

They had a maid. He would literally be in his living room, and because he couldn't ask directly (I guess this was an extension of this 'rule'?) he'd loudly state "Wow, it certainly is DARK in here" if he wanted the lights on so his maid would do it, or "I wonder how the game is going?" if he wanted his maid to turn on the tv to the baseball game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbos_goy

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
about the goons with hosed up eating habits; didn't the death march guy who wanted to walk through america and didn't get out from the park he started in have some really wonky diet?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hogge Wild posted:

about the goons with hosed up eating habits; didn't the death march guy who wanted to walk through america and didn't get out from the park he started in have some really wonky diet?

Yep. He proudly stated he ever only ate chicken nuggets, pizza and cheese burgers but would "figure it out" in terms of eating protein on the trail.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

I've wondered this for so long. My wife used to work for an orthodox Jewish guy, and he'd do the whole 'can't use electricity himself' when observing. They had a maid. He would literally be in his living room, and because he couldn't ask directly (I guess this was an extension of this 'rule'?) he'd loudly state "Wow, it certainly is DARK in here" if he wanted the lights on so his maid would do it, or "I wonder how the game is going?" if he wanted his maid to turn on the tv to the baseball game.

I find it really, really tough not to find the whole thing pretty loving stupid, but this feeling also extends to pretty much all other nonsensical religious 'rules'.

if the maid was a temp who was unaware of the rules this could be the plot for a laugh track sitcom episode

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yep. He proudly stated he ever only ate chicken nuggets, pizza and cheese burgers but would "figure it out" in terms of eating protein on the trail.

haha, was this the same guy who hadn't boiled anything ever in his life?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah the "well technically" aspect has been present for millennia, it's not merely a coping mechanism for dealing with modern society. It certainly comes off as silly, as all superstitious rituals do, but at the very least it's not new.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RagnarokAngel posted:

There's a jewish fable I like.
So a whole load of Rabbis get together to argue over a hypothetical oven and whether or not it would be kosher. All agree that it's not kosher, except for one old extremely revered Rabbi. The argument is going nowhere and taking forever. Exasperated, the revered Rabbi cries out to God for help with his case. God, in a surprising turn of events, answers. 'Yes,' sayeth the Lord, 'The oven you describe would be kosher, and your revered elder is correct.' The other Rabbis look at each other until one gets up and shakes his finger at God. 'You stay out of this. The Law comes from the Rabbi alone, just as it is written.' At this, God is delighted, and returns to silence laughing. 'My children have defeated me! My children have defeated me!'

Much apologies for any jews who know the actual fable. I'm sure I'm butchering it somehow.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lol I was desperately googling for that, pretty sure there's a version in the Talmud itself.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't decide what's more hosed up - god as a vengeful omnipotent force whose true will can never be known, or god as the crusty old dean in a college movie who you must constantly hit with rule loophole interpretations to save your frat from being expelled because technically a dog CAN be the valedictorian.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Yeah that's one of the more fun parts of Judaism

You're not supposed to feel miserable while you're obeying the restrictions, if you do then orthodox judaism probably isn't the sport for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think of it like God just wants you to take the effort of following rules to show your faith, and bending over backwards to lawyer the rules takes a lot of effort