Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Centzon Totochtin posted:

If you merge a +1 unit into a base unit, do you end up with a +1 or +2 unit?

+2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I've never understood the Hector love - I pick people running him in the arena all the time. YTiki/Xander or really any high def red ruins him (Also buffed gronnblade+ bcamilla); why isn't everyone feeding him for distant counter? Tell me why people love him (I don't have a Hector).

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
^^^^ my +Atk vantage Hector has cleared whole arena teams/maps by himself just letting guys crash into him. He hits hard enough with vantage that he can wipe attacking foes out without them landing a shot on him. His distant counter makes him awesome for dealing with colorless guys too. I run mine with threaten speed and Moonbow along with a speed boost from azura and he's one of the anchors of my team. When I park my linde by him to take care of reds those two are usually all I need to clear a map. I absolutely love him but he is squishy against magic.

That's another plus of running a mobile swordlord like Xander or eldigan with him, since they can just run up and smoosh any green or red mages that come snooping around

So Xander and bonfire should go together just as well if not better than draconic aura yeah? He's also got Fury so it seems like a good idea to take advantage of his high defense.

And jinkies having 3/4ths of the team being able to distant counter really changes the way the game plays, or at least to my play style at least. Being able to let Hector and Xander take all the bow and star shots from colorless guys and typically wipe them out right then and there has made things much easier since it really cuts down on guys I have to nuke with linde then. Thanks thread for turning me on to Xander. I think he's typically going to be my replacement for eldigan unless I need to double your on reds.

Pokemaster #421 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 23, 2017

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Thanks thread for turning me on to Xander. I think he's typically going to be my replacement for eldigan unless I need to double your on reds.

That's what Rein is for. Seriously, running Rein, Xander, Azura, <green of your choice> trivializes the game

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

Never managed to pull him unfortunately but my linde has been absolutely wonderful for wiping out anything red. Once desperation is in effect she's straight beastly and I love her

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pokemaster #421 posted:

So Xander and bonfire should go together just as well if not better than draconic aura yeah? He's also got Fury so it seems like a good idea to take advantage of his high defense.

And jinkies having 3/4ths of the team being able to distant counter really changes the way the game plays, or at least to my play style at least. Being able to let Hector and Xander take all the bow and star shots from colorless guys and typically wipe them out right then and there has made things much easier since it really cuts down on guys I have to nuke with linde then. Thanks thread for turning me on to Xander. I think he's typically going to be my replacement for eldigan unless I need to double your on reds.

I think as long as a character's defense is equal to 60% of their attack or more Bonfire is better?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I got a 5* Hinoka and forgot to check her IVs because I was excited to use her. I found her hard to use, she didn't kill stuff without lots of babysitting, but eventually I got her to level 30 only to notice she has 23 strength, 21 def, and 22 resistance, which guarantees she has a -atk nature and makes it likely she has +res. Bleh. To the bench with her, I guess?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I have some good IVs and some bad IVs. Hopefully someday I'll roll YTiki who doesn't have -spd, or a Camilla who doesn't have +HP. To compensate, however, I have a -Res+Spd Nino and a +Atk Reinhardt.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

^^^^^ Yeah if I'm not mistaken those are the best character in the game and close to the best character in the game, so it's good compensation! So jealous of all you rein havers, although it's been tempered by acquiring the aforementioned linde. I had absolutely jack for blue offensive units prior to her and I didn't realize what a tremendous improvement having her would bring. It's hard to overstate how useful she's been along with Hector.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think as long as a character's defense is equal to 60% of their attack or more Bonfire is better?

That makes a lot of sense now that you spelled it out like that, thank you!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Tier lists are even more useless than usual in this game

Just ask in the thread if you have questions

Those IVs seem fine for FCorrin but whether she's worth using depends on a lot of factors

I figured as much for the tier list thing. Just figured it'd be nice to have some reliable database for strategies, at least as a newer player. Like I have no idea what factors you mean for whether or not FCorrin is worth using.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

big trivia FAIL posted:

I've never understood the Hector love - I pick people running him in the arena all the time. YTiki/Xander or really any high def red ruins him (Also buffed gronnblade+ bcamilla); why isn't everyone feeding him for distant counter? Tell me why people love him (I don't have a Hector).

As a guy who's drawn 3 hectors, he's one of the the best counter attacking unit in the game and while skill inheritance makes some tanks just as good, he does what he does right out of the box. And that's being able to erase any non-red physical unit in the game, not to mention most of the non-red mages as well, if you get G.tomebreaker on him. I guess the hard part about using hector is having his weakness to reds covered, which I do by running a +atk Abel.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Hm. Yeah, I get that it evens out, but it seems like she has enough of a hard time killing things that she might be making my team worse than not using her.

I've got a +Spd/-Def 5* Linde and a 5* +Spd/-Def Lyn, as well as a +Def/-Res 5* Lucina, so I've gotten really lucky otherwise. With Hinoka, though, I'm wondering if she's going to be useless or if I can salvage her and make her be a strong slot on my team? Maybe giving her triangle adept and fury 3 or life and death 2 would be helpful.

Oh, and I've been using a 3* Olivia. Should I try to summon an Azura or aim for Celica or wait and see what the next banner is? I'm not sure if Lucina is redundant since I already have Lyn who does good damage with her default skills without needing my fury fodder, but either way I feel like melee attackers have a hard time killing enemy greens without getting attacked first, so I'm tempted to aim for Celica and hopefully shoot down all the greens.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
+Atk Celica has like 49 attack, with LaD and her tome bonus I think she'll bake units crispier than Julia

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I figured as much for the tier list thing. Just figured it'd be nice to have some reliable database for strategies, at least as a newer player. Like I have no idea what factors you mean for whether or not FCorrin is worth using.

Well, what do you have, who else you'd like to use, that kind of thing.

Most character can be useful, but their niche depends on who they have backing them up and what skills they have.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

What star rank is she? What 5*s do you have? How do you want to use her--arena defense, arena offense, or just having extra options for grand hero battles? How much effort are you willing to put into skill inheritance to make you work? Do you have access to the skills that would make her worth using?

I understand it can be pretty overwhelming, which is why the number one thing I'd recommend is to just use your favorites, at least until you can get a better handle on the game. If you want to use FCorrin, do it! If you need help constructing an arena team around her, the thread would be glad to help. If you want to put effort into skill inheritance with her, we'd also be glad to help with that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oliveoil posted:

I got a 5* Hinoka and forgot to check her IVs because I was excited to use her. I found her hard to use, she didn't kill stuff without lots of babysitting, but eventually I got her to level 30 only to notice she has 23 strength, 21 def, and 22 resistance, which guarantees she has a -atk nature and makes it likely she has +res. Bleh. To the bench with her, I guess?

I've been running flier emblem with a-ATK Hinoka for s few days now.

Honestly, the -ATK isn't that bad in flier emblem. Her main job is a buffbot for gronnblade SCamilla and if you give her swordbreaker she will handle all the red units just fine. Goad fliers (or two) will also help tremendeously.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 23, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

should I make a 4 star +10 fcorrin

what skills should she have

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elyv posted:

As an owner of +8 4* Cherche, merged 4* units are cool and good.

Remember to choose one with a good nature to merge into.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Andrast posted:

I've been running flier emblem with a-ATK Hinoka for s few days now.

Honestly, the -ATK isn't that bad in flier emblem. Her main job is a buffbot for gronnblade Camilla and if you give her swordbreaker she will handle all the red units just fine. Goad fliers (or two) will also help tremendeously.

Flier emblem sounds like fun but my other fliers are Claire, Beruka, Florina, Shanna, and Cherche. I heard it's only good with spring Camilla. Did I hear wrong?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elyv posted:

Definitely lightning breath (it's practically the reason to run manaketes at all), then maybe triangle adept and uh...

what B skill are you even supposed to put on middling speed units

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Definitely lightning breath (it's practically the reason to run manaketes at all), then maybe triangle adept and uh...

what B skill are you even supposed to put on middling speed units

Fcorrin has 34 speed, +SPD has 37 speed. That's a pretty good speed.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

What star rank is she? What 5*s do you have? How do you want to use her--arena defense, arena offense, or just having extra options for grand hero battles? How much effort are you willing to put into skill inheritance to make you work? Do you have access to the skills that would make her worth using?

I understand it can be pretty overwhelming, which is why the number one thing I'd recommend is to just use your favorites, at least until you can get a better handle on the game. If you want to use FCorrin, do it! If you need help constructing an arena team around her, the thread would be glad to help. If you want to put effort into skill inheritance with her, we'd also be glad to help with that.

Ahh, I guess all that makes sense. I'm pretty used to these types of games where characters tend to be either really good or really worthless. Unfortunately I've only pulled two 5*s, both of which were healers. Right now I'm just running Hana, Olivia, Donnel, and Cecilia, but I don't really have any particular plan more than "kill their dudes, don't let their dudes kill mine" . They're all 4*s, and the FCorrin is a 3*. I've got a 3* ATiki that I kinda have sitting around as backup. Other possibly notable units are a 4* +atk/-hp Cordelia and a 3* +hp/-spd Cherche.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

Yeah it took me ages to hammer out my play style (which is still a huge work in progress and changes depending on who I draw). On offensively geared team that actively hunts units across the board is going to require different units and load outs than a defensively minded team that focuses on drawing the enemy to you.

My first step, or one of anyway, was developing a team identity so to speak and when I first started I based it off the strongest units I had. I really didn't pay a ton of attention to IVs and went more off what 5 star guys I drew and tried to make sure I had adequate triangle coverage on top of that.

The first strong 5 star guys I drew over the course of a week or two were azura, eldigan, and Minerva so I ended up with a more aggressive playstyle and added bunny Camilla because her mobility as a flier worked well with offense. Once I pulled Hector it completely changed my play style to suit a more defensive strategy since he would never keep up with the rest of my team. I kept my guys close together then and focused a lot on buffs and movement skills like pivot and draw back.

Now that I finally landed a good blue mage in linde I also dropped eldigan for the most part in favor of Xander since his distant counter plays to a defensive team better than eldigans swordbreaker.

This is all a really long winded way of saying that yeah it takes a fair bit of time to figure out what play style suites you best and will prob change based off the initial 5 star guys you pull and promote, so don't stress too much about IVs and stuff in the beginning. I can't remember how many times I asked this thread about team composition and stuff and I'd be hella lost if everyone here wasn't super awesome about helping people out. So thanks everyone it's deffo appreciated!

Well that's my doctoral thesis on fire emblem heroes I hope you enjoyed it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ahh, I guess all that makes sense. I'm pretty used to these types of games where characters tend to be either really good or really worthless. Unfortunately I've only pulled two 5*s, both of which were healers. Right now I'm just running Hana, Olivia, Donnel, and Cecilia, but I don't really have any particular plan more than "kill their dudes, don't let their dudes kill mine" . They're all 4*s, and the FCorrin is a 3*. I've got a 3* ATiki that I kinda have sitting around as backup. Other possibly notable units are a 4* +atk/-hp Cordelia and a 3* +hp/-spd Cherche.

If you're still pretty early on in the game, rerolling for non-healer 5*s wouldn't be the worst idea--assuming you're willing to put in boring work to have a stronger team. If you aren't, or are even hesitant, then don't do it.

In the period when you're still ramping up, I would just use what 4 and 5 stars I had and not worry about it. On that note, healers are pretty good in story missions--they're only bad in the arena. If one of them in Genny, she'll even be okay at attacking things because of wrathful staff.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

If you're still pretty early on in the game, rerolling for non-healer 5*s wouldn't be the worst idea--assuming you're willing to put in boring work to have a stronger team. If you aren't, or are even hesitant, then don't do it.

In the period when you're still ramping up, I would just use what 4 and 5 stars I had and not worry about it. On that note, healers are pretty good in story missions--they're only bad in the arena. If one of them in Genny, she'll even be okay at attacking things because of wrathful staff.

Eh, my main team is about level 35ish? And I've cleared the story mode on normal and most of hard. Still getting a decent influx of orbs so I'll probably keep trucking along and summoning for specific stuff like the OP recommends. If I start topping out and don't have any solid 5*s I'm happy with when orbs inevitably start running dry, maybe I'll reset then, but until then I'm cool with my setup so far.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

oliveoil posted:

Flier emblem sounds like fun but my other fliers are Claire, Beruka, Florina, Shanna, and Cherche. I heard it's only good with spring Camilla. Did I hear wrong?
Bunny Camilla is the only good flier, and anyone who disagrees hates spring.

Kidding aside, until fliers get more tome users, someone with Distant/Close Counter or a Distant/Close Counter weapon, an archer (Reina please), or just some more melee units as strong as Minerva, it's going to play second fiddle to Horse Emblem and Eirika + blade tomes. When/if they do though, I'm going to dive straight into it just based on how great Spring Camilla as an individual unit is.

God, I hope we get a blue tome Aversa.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My flier emblem team with Bunny Camilla, Hinoka, Cherche and Subaki works pretty well.

Definitely worse than horse emblem though. Rein alone makes that really loving powerful.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Roger Explosion posted:

Bunny Camilla is the only good flier, and anyone who disagrees hates spring.

Kidding aside, until fliers get more tome users, someone with Distant/Close Counter or a Distant/Close Counter weapon, an archer (Reina please), or just some more melee units as strong as Minerva, it's going to play second fiddle to Horse Emblem and Eirika + blade tomes. When/if they do though, I'm going to dive straight into it just based on how great Spring Camilla as an individual unit is.

God, I hope we get a blue tome Aversa.

Nearly all if not 100% of the dark mages have been red unfortunately. They could do something wacky like Dark Flier Sumia for a blue tome flier but we're more likely to see the various pegasus knights as pegasus knights before we see them as magic users.

or flying healers :frogout:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ungulateman posted:

Nearly all if not 100% of the dark mages have been red unfortunately. They could do something wacky like Dark Flier Sumia for a blue tome flier but we're more likely to see the various pegasus knights as pegasus knights before we see them as magic users.

dark knight ricken

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Having no decent red unit also hurts. You could make a Wo Dao+ Palla with a good speed nature work, but it seems like a lot of effort for a unit that will probably get out-classed the moment a red tome flier comes into existence.

ungulateman posted:

Dark Fliers are lance/tome users and Aversa is very much a Dark Flier character, so hopefully they'll make her a blue tome user hopefully maybe hopefully. Now that Wrathful Staff is a thing, a flying healer might not be to bad. I'd ultimately prefer to have Bunny Camilla, a red tome flier, a blue tome flier and Reina as a flying archer for my dream Flier Emblem team though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ungulateman posted:

Sad little Odin and his wimpy ATK.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
So, after finally grinding enough SP to give my 5* Sheena Bonfire, I finally bother to look up her stats and she's -ATK because of loving course she's -ATK.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Wondering who to feed Klein to. Would be a shame to waste QR and Deathblow if I only inherited one of these skill to another char. Is there anyone who is ideal with both of them ?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Having no decent red unit also hurts. You could make a Wo Dao+ Palla with a good speed nature work, but it seems like a lot of effort for a unit that will probably get out-classed the moment a red tome flier comes into existence.

Bunilla can kill every relevant green unit though so a red isn't really needed

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Another week of Alphonse? Dammit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Uuuuuuugh you need top 40% in tier 18 to stay in the 4 orbs zone. Literally nobody will stay in tier 18, the top 40% move up and the bottom 60% move down

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

cheetah7071 posted:

Uuuuuuugh you need top 40% in tier 18 to stay in the 4 orbs zone. Literally nobody will stay in tier 18, the top 40% move up and the bottom 60% move down

Dammit what

That's a strange way of doing it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My eventual plan is to ping pong between tiers 18 and 19 but I might have to fall down to 17 for a week to let the whales sort into 19 and 20 first

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

cheetah7071 posted:

Welp, back to Tier 17 I go. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Already have a defense, wow. 3 mages+Ike has been incredibly successful on defense so far.