Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Stanley owns Craftsman now and IIRC they will be honoring warranties. They are also building a new US manufacturing plant and I thought I read something that they wanted to return the Craftsman brand to what it once was, but they stopped short of saying it would be American made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

Better start pulling your balls out, that craftsman won't be around next year.

Hell, they can't even get their tools made for them anymore. The company that was making it is owned by Techtronic, the same company that makes Milwaukee and Ryobi stuff.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-sears-craftsman-one-world-lawsuit-0516-biz-20170515-story.html

The other craftsman is Black and decker, so even if they keep building compatible stuff, it'll be built out of recycled mcdonalds straws and empty ketchup packets.

I guess the going out of business sale could be a good time to stock up, but i wouldn't expect warranty service on anything.

Yep. Hence my situation. Looking at another tool line cause I know the end is near. Just thought it would be nice to go to something that will be around for a while as battery technology improves.

Oh Eddie Lampert, may you die in a fire.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Outside of the cheap bottle-based gear oil pumps, has anyone come across a small powered unit? Gear oil is my least favorite fluid to deal with and I've got a dozen trans/diff fills coming up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cheap drill pump?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh man, I don't know why I didn't think of this seeing as I have a power brake bleeder. This would be 10x easier since I use the same fluid for mostly everything.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6BG1KI/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_01_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Got a great deal on some Williams/Proto/Wright 3/4" drive impact sockets this weekend at a garage sale. $1 each.

I noticed one of them seems to be some special purpose socket, but can't for the life of me figure out what its for. Never seen a socket like it before. Does anyone here know?

Its a Williams 6-4BW 3/4" drive 1-1/2" impact socket. The hex only goes into the socket about 1/2" despite the overall length of the socket being roughly 4" and it has a 3/4" square hole in the bottom. What in the world could this have been meant for?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wormil posted:

Stanley owns Craftsman now and IIRC they will be honoring warranties. They are also building a new US manufacturing plant and I thought I read something that they wanted to return the Craftsman brand to what it once was, but they stopped short of saying it would be American made.

Stanley owns the Craftsman name to put on their own products, Sears can also still use the Craftsman name and is still producing tools. The Sears power tools are made by Stanley's main competitor. They'll probably keep supporting warranties as long as parts last, but once Sears is gone i doubt Techtronic is going to give up the molds and tooling and i doubt Stanley is going to start producing new parts for old tools.

The new Stanley Craftsman stuff is probably just going to be a Fancier Dewalt

iForge posted:

Got a great deal on some Williams/Proto/Wright 3/4" drive impact sockets this weekend at a garage sale. $1 each.

I noticed one of them seems to be some special purpose socket, but can't for the life of me figure out what its for. Never seen a socket like it before. Does anyone here know?

Its a Williams 6-4BW 3/4" drive 1-1/2" impact socket. The hex only goes into the socket about 1/2" despite the overall length of the socket being roughly 4" and it has a 3/4" square hole in the bottom. What in the world could this have been meant for?

Possibly a ford pinion nut socket.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

The new Stanley Craftsman stuff is probably just going to be a Fancier Dewalt

Who knows. Kind of boils down to Apex tools and Stanley.

Stanley owns a gently caress a ton of brands. And Apex isn't shy to shed some of them. For example, Armstrong.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Yeah. The Armstrong shutdown is sad. They are putting a ton of effort into growing gearwrench. They are gunning for Matco and Snapon.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I thought gearwrench and matco were both apex tools brands. Either way I have seen gearwrench tool trucks running around lately so the gunning for snapon bit for sure.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Matco contracts a lot of tools to be made by Apex (who used to be owned by Danaher) but Matco is owned by Danaher (who owns fluke).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It's a convoluted gently caress-all mess is the short of it.

Basically buying Craftsman right now you might get lucky with their pry bars and chisels/drift punch sets (Wright). Other than that enjoy the lowest bidder. Read up on the Emerson contract when it came to their power tools. Beginning of the end.

Snap-On, Matco, etc. tool truck brands...bizarre some of the things they source from.

So what's left for the casual DIY after that that want something halfways decent? Well you have SK. Then there is Toptul, and Tekton in a pinch. Of course there are more esoteric options.

But then there is HF. And there it sits at store front with the decaying rubber smell glory and easy to buy from. And they will eat everyone's lunch.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Honestly I'm a fan of the Home Depot and Lowes store brands. They are reasonable quality, and have their own lifetime warranties. And its a hell of a lot easier to find a Lowes or Home Depot than a Sears. They aren't crazy high quality heirloom tool, but they are more than good enough for most uses. And most of them are made by the same guys who make Matco and the like. They seem to want reasonably high quality products and build their inhouse brands.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seminal Flu posted:

At work right now, I should have taken full before shots, but I'm an impatient monkey.

This is a terrible end-on view, but you can get a sense of scale by looking at the top of my workbench, which is made of 2x6.

It's not done, but there's definitely progress in the restoration of this vise:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have half a toolbox full of SK. I wouldn't waste my cash on it a second time around. I would go with whatever is easiest to warranty. Shipping tools sucks.

So yeah I can buy tekton at meijer, or Pittsburgh at harbor freight. So probably harbor freight. The sad part is harbor freight tools have generally been improving in quality over the years where as craftsman and others have gone to poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Seminal Flu posted:

It's not done, but there's definitely progress in the restoration of this vise:

Definitely take broader strokes with the brush or pen in your lettering. It looks anemic!

But definitely keep posting about it. I need a vise and wish I came across one of those suckers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

um excuse me posted:

Definitely take broader strokes with the brush or pen in your lettering. It looks anemic!

But definitely keep posting about it. I need a vise and wish I came across one of those suckers.

It's harder than I thought it would be to trace those cast letters... they have very little detail, plus I was using a brush that was too thin. I agree, I'll take another shot at it.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

um excuse me posted:

I think the casting is just poor. Looks good to me.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sadi posted:

Yeah. The Armstrong shutdown is sad. They are putting a ton of effort into growing gearwrench. They are gunning for Matco and Snapon.

drat, I hadn't heard Armstrong was shutting down. I have a wrench and socket set from them that has taken tons of abuse and I've never had anything break.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

It's harder than I thought it would be to trace those cast letters... they have very little detail, plus I was using a brush that was too thin. I agree, I'll take another shot at it.
Try overpainting the letters totally, then touch in the low points white again.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Tool review time.

Gearwrench serpentine belt kit and 120xp ratchets on sale at Amazon: loving kick rear end and a heck of a value.

Autel TS501 tpms tool: works great. Chinese software trips the virus scanner like crazy on my wife's laptop but it's not my problem now. A little pricey at $250, but it was still the cheapest option that could both read sensor IDs wirelessly and program them into the ECU. Vehicle coverage appear excellent. Haven't tried to clone sensors yet, but I did order a set that should work. Plan is to clone them to my other set of wheels and sell the OEM sensors and the Autel tool and get my money back. Then I will have 2 sets of wheels I can swap back and forth without having to reprogram the ECU.

I also ordered a J2534 tool from a company called Tactrix. Will review when I have a chance to use it. Plan is to use a hack copy of TIS to program in some new keys and fobs.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

rdb posted:

I also ordered a J2534 tool from a company called Tactrix. Will review when I have a chance to use it. Plan is to use a hack copy of TIS to program in some new keys and fobs.

What car are you planning on using it with? I use the openport 2.0 to tune my Subaru all the time. I haven't looked for uses out side of that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Supposedly works with toyota techstream.

https://www.tactrix.com/index.php?o...j2534&Itemid=41

We shall see. FWIW a lot of manufacturers offer a 2 day pass to their software/firmwares/tech info for a reasonable amount. In this case toyota is $55 for 48 hours but I can't do keys without proving I'm a "security professional". So hacked version it is. Just putting that out there in case anyone winds up in the situation I'm in where the local locksmiths won't/can't touch it and the dealer wants $400 for a new key and fob.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Calling this done in the spirit of "perfect is the enemy of good." For a 100 year old vise, this looks pretty loving good. And works great, all the way in and out with no issues, jaws match up perfectly, minimal slop. Time to mount this fucker to the bench, once I get the bench cleaned up.

Also -- POR15 is awesome stuff to use. Such a forgiving product in its application, yet hard and glossy when it cures.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

would

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Powershift posted:

Possibly a ford pinion nut socket.

Thanks, that is likely the purpose. Never occurred to me that there would be a specialty socket for that, all the ones Ive fooled with have accepted a regular socket just fine so I didnt question it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Seminal Flu posted:

Calling this done in the spirit of "perfect is the enemy of good." For a 100 year old vise, this looks pretty loving good. And works great, all the way in and out with no issues, jaws match up perfectly, minimal slop. Time to mount this fucker to the bench, once I get the bench cleaned up.

Also -- POR15 is awesome stuff to use. Such a forgiving product in its application, yet hard and glossy when it cures.

That is a sexy vice ready for another 100 years of service.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Last vise post for now. Got it in place and mounted (temporary hardware). Routed out a nice recess to match its overhang profile.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of clearance on the right side, but I had my other vise mounted there even closer to the edge of the workbench and it never was an issue.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 24, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nice to see old vises get put back to work.

Congrats.

Edit: To add, I have shelf just like that, has around 500 boxes of different screws and fasteners. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ebay 20% off purchase from home and garden,

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361591

CODE P20MEMDAY

time for babbys first knipex

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Speaking of vices, are Harbor Freight’s made of decent steel or are they more like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZATB-Lbnp0

BraveUlysses posted:

CODE P20MEMDAY

Hmm, 10″ Knipex pliers wrench or California Air Tools 5510A?

e: Actually, it’s not single‐item/single‐use coupon, so I could get both.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Platystemon posted:

Harbor Freight

Platystemon posted:

decent steel

Well, that anvil in the video is the same brand as Harbor Freight sell...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

InitialDave posted:

Well, that anvil in the video is the same brand as Harbor Freight sell...

I know.

That anvil is cast iron, but at one point they sold steel anvils that were okay (but had QC issues).

Or you mean that they’re both sold under the Central Forge moniker? I don’t know that the name HF sells something under has much to do with the factory it came from.

e: Reviews do suggest it’s poo poo.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 25, 2017

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

New vises always end in disappointment unless you are only looking to do very light work on one. I have atleast a dozen 1960 and older Wilton bullet vises, a bunch of Athol/Starret, and other lesser brands. Its an addiction. You are way better getting an old one than a new one. Check craigslist, garage sales, tool consignment shops, etc. Most of mine were garage sale finds that I bought for WAY under their actual value. Ebay is bad for them, since people tend to know what they are worth and price them accordingly. Still, I'd spend a couple hundred on an old but quality vise before I spent the same on a new one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Garage sales have too much rough and not enough gems for my liking.

Estate sales, though, those are great.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

CODE P20MEMDAY

Thanks man!

What do you guys think is the most complete auto tool set I can get on there to stock my home toolbox? I've been working at home out of a craftsman126pc kit and it's been good to me. This way I can keep all that stuff in it's case for portability.

Is there something better than this? Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262973044327

I really don't need the nutdriver and all the little bits, I never seem to use that stuff. Is there an option without all that poo poo?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

CODE P20MEMDAY

Looking at buying cordless impacts for lug nuts and such and this piques my interest. I already have two 4AH Ryobi 18v batteries and chargers and their impact gets decent reviews. The question is do I opt for $120 with another battery and charger at HD or $85 for the bare tool via ebay. What would you folks do? (Don't say "buy a makita :v: ")

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Impact-Wrench-Kit-P1890/206736695

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAE-And-Metric-Facility-Maintenance-Tool-Set-Westward-4VCN4-/222485414238?hash=item33cd2a015e

Bahahaha 20% off.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The coupon maxes out at $50. So anything over $400.

Super tempted to buy some more gear wrench stuff. But I have been blowing money fast lately and need to slow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Looking at buying cordless impacts for lug nuts and such and this piques my interest. I already have two 4AH Ryobi 18v batteries and chargers and their impact gets decent reviews. The question is do I opt for $120 with another battery and charger at HD or $85 for the bare tool via ebay. What would you folks do? (Don't say "buy a makita :v: ")

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Impact-Wrench-Kit-P1890/206736695

Bare tool probably. They're bringing in bigger batteries later this year 3ah, 6ah, and 9ah.